The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Von Miller vs Aldon Smith....who measures up? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109394)

Greatspirits 12-19-2012 08:57 PM

Von Miller vs Aldon Smith....who measures up?

Of course in my book, Von is the more complete defender!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...er-is-superior

RedskinBronco 12-19-2012 09:03 PM

This is not to take anything away from Aldon Smith, he is a beast; however IMO he has more of a supporting cast.

Denver personnel on D is not too shabby either, but I feel like Von has to do more for the Broncos to succeed on that side of the ball.

12-19-2012 09:29 PM

I love what Miller is doing this year and he's a great player. I can't stop thinking about Elvis though. Where has he been? Has Elvis left the building? Elvis should be right up there in sack numbers and in this debate but he's nowhere to be found over the last couple months. We will need both to produce to beat Brady and pats.

Greatspirits 12-19-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MillerMayhem58 (Post 3758872)
I love what Miller is doing this year and he's a great player. I can't stop thinking about Elvis though. Where has he been? Has Elvis left the building? Elvis should be right up there in sack numbers and in this debate but he's nowhere to be found over the last couple months. We will need both to produce to beat Brady and pats.

Elvis had been disruptive and has played solid, he's just not getting the sacks like he used to.

mkporter 12-19-2012 10:07 PM

Aldon's a very good player, but he's not close to the level Von's at. There are 2-3 defenders on the 49ers I'd rather have than Aldon. Not a huge knock on Aldon, those guys are stacked.

12-19-2012 10:14 PM

Watt is going to win dpoy.

cutthemdown 12-19-2012 10:17 PM

I don't watch enough niner football to say. The other night though even though he didn't get sacks he certainly looks the part of a stud atheltically.

Houshyamama 12-19-2012 10:58 PM

Many of Aldon Smith's sacks have come as a DIRECT result of the Oline keying in on Justin Smith. He's a great player, but his production is definitely buoyed by the rest of that defense. If I had one player to build a defense around, it's Miller by a ****ing MILE.

Baba Booey 12-19-2012 10:59 PM

Line Von up next to J. Smith, Willis and Bowman and he has the sack record already.

lonestar 12-19-2012 11:24 PM

Homerism at its best.

All three are great players. But Miller is not that much better if he is at all.

As far as supporting casts yep the other two teams have us beat not by much but by consistently.

Miller last year was only rushing the QB in some cases they ran at him in passing situations and the RB blew past him for good gains.

This year he has made himself into a very complete OLB. He is going have to have monster games against the next two teams to garner any awards.

mkporter 12-20-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonestar (Post 3758949)
Homerism at its best.

All three are great players. But Miller is not that much better if he is at all.

As far as supporting casts yep the other two teams have us beat not by much but by consistently.

Miller last year was only rushing the QB in some cases they ran at him in passing situations and the RB blew past him for good gains.

This year he has made himself into a very complete OLB. He is going have to have monster games against the next two teams to garner any awards.

There's a good case to be made that Watt is in the same class as Von. The case with Aldon is weak unless you just like pretty sack numbers. He doesn't put nearly as much pressure (sacks + hits + hurries) on the QB as Von does, and he's no where near the run defender that Von is.

And who else on the Broncos front seven is anywhere near Willis, Bowman, and J Smith? Dumervil is the Aldon Smith on our team.