The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Whisenhunt's replacement...Todd Haley? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109349)

12-16-2012 10:21 PM

Whisenhunt's replacement...Todd Haley?

Wow.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/b....nfora/21411006

With the Arizona Cardinals losing nine straight games after a 4-0 start, including a historic 58-0 loss last week to rival Seattle, team officials are mulling possible changes for the offseason, sources said, with former Cardinals coordinator Todd Haley a top option to replace coach Ken Whisenhunt if a change is made.

Haley has shined in his first season as Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator -- following his firing as Chiefs coach last year -- and his name continues to come up in internal discussions in Arizona, sources said. The Bidwill family remains big supporters of Haley, who served as offensive coordinator in 2007-08 and was play caller for Arizona's lone Super Bowl team. The Bidwills pushed for Haley to be back on Whisenhunt's staff after last season, facilitating a series of meetings between Whisenhunt and Haley, but Whisenhunt had already committed to coordinator Mike Miller calling plays and ended up retaining the staff favorite.

The Cardinals have been stout defensively under coordinator Ray Horton but have failed on the offensive side of the ball amid a revolving door at quarterback. While it would be out of character for the franchise to absorb a financial hit to make a coaching change (Whisenhunt is still owed $5.5 million, sources said), the move is possible given how poorly this season has gone. Arizona is 17-28 since 2009 and has not been a serious playoff contender since Kurt Warner's retirement after the '09 season.

Also, assistant general manager Steve Keim, who has a strong reputation around the league, could perhaps end up replacing long-time GM Rod Graves. Notably, Keim shares a strong relationship with Haley from Haley's previous time in Arizona.

At this point, it would be surprising to many if someone other than Haley ended up coaching the Cardinals should Whisenhunt's tenure there end.

Haley's possible departure from the Steelers could be part of a larger trend of OC turnover within the AFC North. The Ravens have already fired offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, Bengals OC Jay Gruden is expected to be a top candidate for multiple head coaching vacancies and new ownership and management in Cleveland means the future of head coach Pat Shurmur and his staff is in doubt.

DBroncos4life 12-16-2012 10:29 PM

NFL is going have a hard time replacing all the coaches being fired this year.

SoCalBronco 12-16-2012 10:32 PM

Big Ben hates Haley so he is out of PIT one way or another.

12-16-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalBronco (Post 3756555)

I can't think of a player that likes him.

12-16-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 (Post 3756562)
I can't think of a player that likes him.

I can.

http://image.123tagged.com/images/l/...gerald-378.jpg

Todd Haley may be a prick, but what he does works. Big Ben is having one of his best season's this year.

Rohirrim 12-17-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalBronco (Post 3756555)

Yep. Ben was publicly questioning the play-calling after yesterday's game. Never a good sign.

Let me warm my hands over the discord in Pittsburgh. ;D

bronco militia 12-17-2012 06:46 AM

Wisenhunt got the Cards to a superbowl with a real QB.

gunns 12-17-2012 06:49 AM

Maybe the Cardinals big win yesterday was a sign that it's a big NO to Haley.

Kaylore 12-17-2012 06:57 AM

Wisenhunt is a good coach. He just doesn't have a QB.

ColoradoDarin 12-17-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3756641)

Agreed.

TonyR 12-17-2012 08:19 AM

I'll go you one better: McDaniels replacing Lovie and getting "reunited" with Jay Cutler!!!

Quote:

That there's talk of Josh McDaniels getting another shot as an NFL head coach with the Chicago Bears. When CBS' Jason La Canfora reported Sunday that McDaniels could be a candidate to replace Lovie Smith if the Bears make a coaching change after the season, it was hard not to scoff, given that: a) McDaniels' reign of error as the Broncos' coach included a cheating scandal, a slew of atrocious personnel moves and 17 defeats in his final 22 games and b) Chicago's two most important offensive players, Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, were the very two men that McDaniels ran out of Denver, provoking the latter to tell me in August that the decision to trade Cutler was "a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very bad move." The same words would apply to a McDaniels hire but I'd be very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very excited to cover it. Did I say "very"?
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--mo...102723478.html

12-17-2012 08:23 AM

The thing is, Haley is (apparently) a good coordinator, but not a good HC.

Some guys should just do what they do well and not eff things up by becoming incompetent Head Coaches. Witness what happened with Joshy McStalin.

Good coordinator, rotten dictator.

Tombstone RJ 12-17-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3756681)
I'll go you one better: McDaniels replacing Lovie and getting "reunited" with Jay Cutler!!!

Hilarious!

Crushaholic 12-17-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

With the Bears fast start, I thought that Lovie could have been in the running for Coach of the Year. What a difference a few weeks makes...Yikes!

12-17-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3756641)

True but the QB situation is all on him. All 3 of the bums are his selections.

Tombstone RJ 12-17-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 (Post 3756734)
True but the QB situation is all on him. All 3 of the bums are his selections.

how do you know this? Maybe he's is just playing the cards he was dealt by the front office?

12-17-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3756743)
how do you know this? Maybe he's is just playing the cards he was dealt by the front office?

He drafted Skelton and Lindley and he was the one that pushed ownership for Kolb. That is the reason he will get canned.

ScottXray 12-17-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushaholic (Post 3756721)
With the Bears fast start, I thought that Lovie could have been in the running for Coach of the Year. What a difference a few weeks makes...Yikes!

Anyone see any similarities to Denver in 2008/9. What/Who is common?

Hilarious!

DBroncos4life 12-17-2012 09:39 AM

If we somehow did lose JDR, I wouldn't be sad if we brought in Lovie Smith. He can bring Urlacher with him. :)

SoCalBronco 12-17-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

LOL. zero chance. Jay will veto that move.

Tombstone RJ 12-17-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 (Post 3756744)
He drafted Skelton and Lindley and he was the one that pushed ownership for Kolb. That is the reason he will get canned.

I thought the cards had a GM, are you saying the GM had no say?

LetsGoBroncos 12-17-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearLanier (Post 3756567)
I can.

http://image.123tagged.com/images/l/...gerald-378.jpg

Todd Haley may be a prick, but what he does works. Big Ben is having one of his best season's this year.

I live in AZ and guys I am telling you Fitzgerald is not happy. He has too much class to complain publicly but it is pretty well known that he knows the Cardinals are going to be bad for awhile. SF, Seattle and the Rams are all improving so they won't get to the playoffs anytime soon. I say we make a play for him. What is he worth?

12-17-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3756760)
I thought the cards had a GM, are you saying the GM had no say?

Well whiz sends out Matt L because its not his guy and he had Warner on the roster already who Whiz didn't even have starting. He goes thru Hall, Bartel, skelton, Lindley, and he pused for Kolb. He was main guy after Kolb. He is supposedly a QB guru when in reality he had Warner who he rode his coat tails. Graves the GM has always let HC pick his guy at qb with Denny Green to Whiz. I live in AZ most of the time and GF has season tickets to cardinals so I do know a lot about them. In fact sports radio now is talking about how bad whiz has been developing Qbs.

phibacka31 12-17-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos (Post 3756762)
I live in AZ and guys I am telling you Fitzgerald is not happy. He has too much class to complain publicly but it is pretty well known that he knows the Cardinals are going to be bad for awhile. SF, Seattle and the Rams are all improving so they won't get to the playoffs anytime soon. I say we make a play for him. What is he worth?

Would make my year... no joke... fitz has been one of my favs since his pitt days... will not happen though...ugh

LetsGoBroncos 12-17-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phibacka31 (Post 3756906)
Would make my year... no joke... fitz has been one of my favs since his pitt days... will not happen though...ugh

I agree. Great player, classy dude, good leader. Why not throw a player (DJ Williams) and a first round draft pick for him? Could you imagine him and Manning together?