The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Bailey shutdown corner (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109146)

12-04-2012 02:01 AM

Bailey shutdown corner

Coming into Sunday's game against the Broncos, Buccaneers quarterback Josh Freeman had targeted wide receiver Vincent Jackson 95 times this season, or just over 20 more times than any other player in the team's offense.

So, the Broncos did what the Broncos do in those kinds of cases. They asked Champ Bailey to cover somebody who is often bigger and younger to take that option off the quarterback's wish list.

And while Peyton Manning's touchdown passes and Von Miller's quest for the NFL's defensive player of the year award are front and center these days, Bailey's work continues to be the stuff of a team with designs on much more than a division title.

When Bailey was matched up on Jackson in one-on-one situations, which was for most of the game, Jackson had one reception for 12 yards Sunday. And that catch didn't come until the third quarter was drawing to a close.

Jackson had another catch in zone coverage, away from Bailey, and his third and final catch of the game came with Bailey having already been taken out of the game because the Broncos were protecting a two-touchdown lead facing a three-day turnaround to play in Oakland on Thursday night.

Read more: Champ Bailey plays pivotal role in Broncos' victory over Buccaneers - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2E4jzxmV3

Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

12-04-2012 02:07 AM

Bailey will shut down a receiver without speed any day of the week.

Ratboy 12-04-2012 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Action (Post 3744050)
Bailey will shut down a receiver without speed any day of the week.

I agree.

He seems to have lost a step in speed. I wonder if we'll move him around like Charles Woodson or Ronde Barber

Punisher 12-04-2012 03:55 AM

I got Von Miller on the phone he wants credit for baileys preformance.

12-04-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punisher (Post 3744053)
I got Von Miller on the phone he wants credit for baileys preformance.

I don't get it.

kappys 12-04-2012 06:13 AM

Aside from the fact that Bailey is still a top 10 CB in the league another reason not to move him is that he allows us to play a nickle formation or big nickle against base offenses. The fact that both Bailey and Chris Harris are excellent tacklers is a big factor in allowing us to do this.

rmsanger 12-04-2012 06:38 AM

He's still great and probably just barely a top 5 CB in the league although you can see his age starting to show (relative to his recent level of play). We better start grooming for a shut-down role for his replacement and count on him as a #2 guy or FS in the next 2 years.

Punisher 12-04-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus (Post 3744061)
I don't get it.

Due to von millers pass rush abilities that can boost the play for a CB. When there's no time to throw or being rush to throw it can make your job easy for a CB.

WolfpackGuy 12-04-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punisher (Post 3744077)
Due to von millers pass rush abilities that can boost the play for a CB. When there's no time to throw or being rush to throw it can make your job easy for a CB.

I agree.

This formula has worked for the Giants in recent years, and they've never had anybody like Bailey in their secondary.

They need to bring in some reinforcements on the interior DL next year to keep QB's from stepping up from Doom and Von.

pricejj 12-04-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus (Post 3744048)
When Bailey was matched up on Jackson in one-on-one situations, which was for most of the game, Jackson had one reception for 12 yards Sunday. And that catch didn't come until the third quarter was drawing to a close.

Let me add this...

That catch came on 3rd and long. Champ was giving space, and would have tackled Jackson short of the 1st down, but Dumervil came barreling in and knocked Champ out of the play.

If not for Dumervil's mistake, Champ would have held Vincent Jackson without a 1st down for the entire game.

Mountain Bronco 12-04-2012 08:09 AM

Bailey has always owned Jackson. While I agree that Bailey has maybe lost a step, what CB in the league is playing better this year? Tillman?

Heyneck 12-04-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punisher (Post 3744077)

pffffff Champ's being doing that for the majority of his career without a pass rush.

Crushaholic 12-04-2012 08:56 AM

It's nice to finally be able to say that Champ isn't the focus of this defense. He just quietly does his job, and he does it better than anybody...

broncosteven 12-04-2012 11:58 AM

I have been having a running arguement with my Bear fan friends, they say Tillman is the best Shutdown CB in the league and they would take him over Champ.

Tillman got owned vs the worst (or 2nd worst) passing team in the NFL Sunday, giving up at least 1 TD late in the game and not being a factor as the Seahawks marched 80 yards down the field in OT for the win.

I will take Champ to build a D around any day!

I sent them this link!

ZONA 12-04-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy (Post 3744079)
I agree.

This formula has worked for the Giants in recent years, and they've never had anybody like Bailey in their secondary.

They need to bring in some reinforcements on the interior DL next year to keep QB's from stepping up from Doom and Von.

That was supposed to be Ty Warren and he would have been huge for this defense but of course he can't stay healthy. It will be interesting to see if they cut him next year and try to get another big name here. I know they will no doubt draft a guy or 2 on the interior of that line but I still think we need a nice vet in there. Mitch and Justin have been decent but you could definitely upgrade over them. Vickerson you definitely keep and of course Wolfe but definitely need a big physical smash mouth talented dude in the middle. If they keep DJ at MLB then that allows us, IMO, to use the 1st pick on another DLmen instead of a LB. Then 2nd round, definitely go RB. Safety in the 3rd. After that BPA.

mhgaffney 12-04-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZONA (Post 3744454)
That was supposed to be Ty Warren and he would have been huge for this defense but of course he can't stay healthy. It will be interesting to see if they cut him next year and try to get another big name here. I know they will no doubt draft a guy or 2 on the interior of that line but I still think we need a nice vet in there. Mitch and Justin have been decent but you could definitely upgrade over them. Vickerson you definitely keep and of course Wolfe but definitely need a big physical smash mouth talented dude in the middle. If they keep DJ at MLB then that allows us, IMO, to use the 1st pick on another DLmen instead of a LB. Then 2nd round, definitely go RB. Safety in the 3rd. After that BPA.

We also need a guard. Ramirez gets owned by a strong DL.

12-04-2012 01:51 PM

Chris Harris has been a complete beast. I read somewhere that his numbers were among the top of the league for CBs.

Jekyll15Hyde 12-04-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmsanger (Post 3744075)
He's still great and probably just barely a top 5 CB in the league although you can see his age starting to show (relative to his recent level of play). We better start grooming for a shut-down role for his replacement and count on him as a #2 guy or FS in the next 2 years.

I have always thought/expected this would be the case. However, playing TB this last week, he was asked about Ronde Barber who just moved from corner to safety and Bailey fairly adamantly said he didnt want to move to safety later in his career. Once he wasnt good enough for corner, he would hand up the cleats. This is very sad news indeed.

Smiling Assassin27 12-04-2012 02:33 PM

WHile this likely doesn't apply to Von, I'm sure Champ's ability to cover a wr for a sustained period of time (we're talking about his prime) has allowed DL and LB to get to the qb as well.

GreasyQtip 12-04-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaiy (Post 3744464)
Chris Harris has been a complete beast. I read somewhere that his numbers were among the top of the league for CBs.

PFF says Harris has given up 25 yards a game the last 6 games

(the includes an uncharacteristic 40 yarder on sunday)

Chris 12-04-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 (Post 3744491)
WHile this likely doesn't apply to Von, I'm sure Champ's ability to cover a wr for a sustained period of time (we're talking about his prime) has allowed DL and LB to get to the qb as well.

We've had a good number of coverage sacks. Not sure how many though.

pricejj 12-04-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

It's a good year for penetrating DT's. No John Henderson's or Marcus Stroud's, but those guys would fly off the board early anyway.

DT - Kawann Short, Sylvester Williams - One of these guys could be there at the bottom of the 1st...and have great size and production at the NT position. Kawann Short is about 320 lbs. and has 50 tackles, 6 sacks perennially. Either would be a great complement to Derek Wolfe on the inside, but would be buried behind Vickerson and Bannan on the depth chart initially.

RB - Eddie Lacy, Montee Ball - Neither of these guys have the most speed in the world, but both are bigger backs, should the Broncos decide they need more firepower at RB. Although, if Knowshon renegotiates his contract, we might be set for the next couple years with McGahee and Hillman.

WR - Tayvon Austin, Terrance Williams - Austin is a diminutive game-breaker. Williams is a prototypical #2WR to pair with Demaryius Thomas. Either would blow the roof off the Broncos Offense.

Also will need an LB, CB, and possibly SS or OG...

The question is, who can we draft who will make the biggest impact now? Who is the BPA?

Chris 12-04-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Dude I think you should start a thread about this. I'd be interested in seeing who the draft has that can fill this need.

12-04-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreasyQtip (Post 3744496)
PFF says Harris has given up 25 yards a game the last 6 games

(the includes an uncharacteristic 40 yarder on sunday)

That is exactly what I saw. That is ridiculous. The guy is an animal.