The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Running on 3rd and long (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109132)

edog24 12-03-2012 09:47 AM

Running on 3rd and long

What are people's thoughts here on this? When it happens, it makes me scream at my TV.

That being said, I get the reasoning behind it: Great punter, obvious passing down=PFM possibly getting sacked, let the D make a great play, etc.

It seemed to turn out ok yesterday, however, I think white bread coaching like that may cost us points or a game against the good teams.

jmz313 12-03-2012 10:04 AM

Fox is a conservative head coach. You probably heard on the broadcast that he told whoever "I don't need a franchise QB to win". I don't agree with that, and i'm sure most wouldn't since Fox has zero SB rings (as HC at least). he also doesn't have an Andy Reid type reg season record to fall back on.

So Far with Peyton manning at QB and the quality of the D this season, These decisions (even in the almost came back loses) have proven to be smart. I just hope the team responds when we might need to make the big plays in the future.

I would like to see us bury a team for a complete 60 minutes though.

Crushaholic 12-03-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmz313 (Post 3743287)
Fox is a conservative head coach. You probably heard on the broadcast that he told whoever "I don't need a franchise QB to win". I don't agree with that, and i'm sure most wouldn't since Fox has zero SB rings (as HC at least). he also doesn't have an Andy Reid type reg season record to fall back on.

So Far with Peyton manning at QB and the quality of the D this season, These decisions (even in the almost came back loses) have proven to be smart. I just hope the team responds when we might need to make the big plays in the future.

I would like to see us bury a team for a complete 60 minutes though.

I stopped watching, when it was 31-13. I couldn't believe that we let them get that close. You're right. We need to play our best, for 60 minutes...

DBroncos4life 12-03-2012 10:24 AM

The Bucs went with a three man front and from what I saw Manning checked into the run if I remember right.

12-03-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBroncos4life (Post 3743327)
The Bucs went with a three man front and from what I saw Manning checked into the run if I remember right.

Yep. "Buffalo buffalo". Manning still forgets Lance Ball is behind him.

Rock Chalk 12-03-2012 10:31 AM

Um, Fox did go to a superbowl with Jake freaking Delhomme.

Im pretty sure he's better at this **** than you people.

TDmvp 12-03-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Chalk (Post 3743336)

Yup and at least now we don't run 15 bubble screens a game like we did when Josh was the coach.

As long as we keep winning I don't mind what they call really.

crush17 12-03-2012 10:52 AM

Manning is taking away the possibility of a turnover via interception, strip sack, etc. He is being conservative and allowing the special teams/defense do what they do. I hate the call but its the right call.

12-03-2012 11:02 AM

That's all fine and dandy, but Fox did not make that call. From the start of that play it looked like they were in shotgun formation.

12-03-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3743333)
Yep. "Buffalo buffalo". Manning still forgets Lance Ball is behind him.

it's pretty much a disaster any time the words "buffalo" and "football" appear in the same sentence

Dedhed 12-03-2012 11:02 AM

It doesn't bother me as much as running on 3rd and short.

WolfpackGuy 12-03-2012 11:03 AM

I can see the reasoning behind it.

The defense was handling their offense pretty well at the time, and there was no sense in risking a turnover, etc.

12-03-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedhed (Post 3743360)

the idea of running on 3rd-and-short doesn't bother me in the abstract. the concrete execution of it sticks in my craw

SonOfLe-loLang 12-03-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedhed (Post 3743360)

This. I cringe everytime its 2 and 2/3rd and 2, and Manning lines up under center. I think we convert these like 2 percent of the time.

12-03-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 3743372)
This. I cringe everytime its 2 and 2/3rd and 2, and Manning lines up under center. I think we convert these like 2 percent of the time.

Man how many 2nd and 1s did they have yesterday resulting in a negative play or penalty.

sgbfan 12-03-2012 11:19 AM

You are also 5 yards out of FG range on 3 and 15. Good chance the RB can gain a few and give Prater a chance. But with the way Prater has kicked the last few weeks... Its all because I put him on my fantasy team...

12-03-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgbfan (Post 3743378)
You are also 5 yards out of FG range on 3 and 15. Good chance the RB can gain a few and give Prater a chance. But with the way Prater has kicked the last few weeks... Its all because I put him on my fantasy team...

Take him off! Somethin is wrong with Prater lately and I'm superstitious enough to say its cause he's on your FF team. He almost missed the easy one too.

sgbfan 12-03-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3743382)
Take him off! Somethin is wrong with Prater lately and I'm superstitious enough to say its cause he's on your FF team. He almost missed the easy one too.

I will for sure. Then again, maybe everyone hasn't been facing their labels out...

12-03-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgbfan (Post 3743386)
I will for sure. Then again, maybe everyone hasn't been facing their labels out...

I'm sure there will come to be a Ray Finkle for the 'labels out' crew

12-03-2012 11:50 AM

Just confirms my view that Fox needs to grow a pair.

LRtagger 12-03-2012 11:50 AM

What pissed me off is how we run out of the same formations every time. I can usually call the play correctly before it is snapped 75% of the time and we don't have the Oline to show run and run. It amazes me that we are this good on offense considering.

Broncomutt 12-03-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Chalk (Post 3743336)

He's not better than Belichek though, a guy notorius for keeping his foot on the gas. Pretty sure Belichek is better at this **** than you.

Aftermath 12-03-2012 01:35 PM

I'm just sick of playing conservative when we have a lead in the 4th quarter. It's going to come back and bite them one of these times. It did to the Lions yesterday, although they don't have PFM. The Bucs got within one touchdown(2pt) because of Fox not wanting to run up the score. We need to finish teams like the Pats.

12-03-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edog24 (Post 3743260)
What are people's thoughts here on this? When it happens, it makes me scream at my TV.

That being said, I get the reasoning behind it: Great punter, obvious passing down=PFM possibly getting sacked, let the D make a great play, etc.

It seemed to turn out ok yesterday, however, I think white bread coaching like that may cost us points or a game against the good teams.

I am mad at it at the time BUT everytime Manning has done this the defense has come up and stopped the team. Pretty amazing, if your defense is playing great than I cannot b**** about what they are doing. It seems to be working. I guess they are smarter than the fanbase.

This defense ****ing ROCKS!!!

12-03-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aftermath (Post 3743484)
I'm just sick of playing conservative when we have a lead in the 4th quarter. It's going to come back and bite them one of these times. It did to the Lions yesterday, although they don't have PFM. The Bucs got within one touchdown(2pt) because of Fox not wanting to run up the score. We need to finish teams like the Pats.

They got within 8 points with under 2 minutes and no timeouts left in the game. How many times do teams throw a costly pick or fumble theball late in the game? What they are doing is working.