The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Calling it now (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109073)

11-28-2012 12:25 PM

Calling it now

Alex Smith will be a Jet in 2013.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/86...-st-louis-rams

Quote:

Colin Kaepernick will start at quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday against the St. Louis Rams, coach Jim Harbaugh said Wednesday.

11-28-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Tsunami (Post 3739327)

Dumbest thing Harbaugh has ever done. You don't pull this kind of **** midseason on a legit Super Bowl Contender.

bfoflcommish 11-28-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis (Post 3739333)
Dumbest thing Harbaugh has ever done. You don't pull this kind of **** midseason on a legit Super Bowl Contender.

you do when the back up is a much better QB. the team has responded to Kaeperneck just fine. he gives them a much better chance come playoff time

Punisher 11-28-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfoflcommish (Post 3739336)
you do when the back up is a much better QB. the team has responded to Kaeperneck just fine. he gives them a much better chance come playoff time

This

rugbythug 11-28-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Drew bledsoe agrees

s0phr0syne 11-28-2012 01:07 PM

I love how Kaepernick actually utilizes his TEs. Obviously Davis is highly regarded, but Delanie Walker has long been neglected. Kaepernick is daring enough to use his arm down the seams. Smith's career has been a series of unfortunate events that were beyond his control, but Kaepernick is better able to maximize the other personnel.

CEH 11-28-2012 01:08 PM

Lose your job to a concussion. Good luck with that NFL

11-28-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugbythug (Post 3739341)
Drew bledsoe agrees

I knew that was coming out.

Key difference.

The 2011 Alex Smith 49ers were one play away from the Super Bowl.

The 2000 Bledsoe New England Patriots were one play away from 4-12.

The switch to Brady MADE those Pats a contender.

Biggest point... a lot has been made lately of the 'big game' quarterback and how important production is when all the chips are down. Smith proved something last year. Played maybe the best game in his career vs the Saints. If Kaepernick has a rough patch in January and the 9ers lose, Harbaugh has put everything he's worked for to this point at risk. They may never get back to where they were.

Rabb 11-28-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEH (Post 3739345)
Lose your job to a concussion. Good luck with that NFL

Sadly this is exactly the case too. He was honest about the concussion and as a result, lost his job.

Yes I know, there is a case to be made for Kaepernick taking the job...but I am not sure I agree with this. I honestly feel bad for Smith.

Smiling Assassin27 11-28-2012 01:24 PM

Arizona Cardinals.

11-28-2012 01:32 PM

Smith sucks. NYJ suck.

Seems like a solid fit

maher_tyler 11-28-2012 01:51 PM

It is the right move. Kaepernick is the better QB. Better arm and can make plays with his legs. 9ers offense has looked dominate since he took over.

11-28-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

I've seen every niner game for 2 years now. The niners are an SB contender despite Smith. When they play from behind their hands are tied. Smith simply does not throw it downfield. 7 years of it. It took him around 4 games this year to actually put the ball in the air more than 20 yards. 92 pass attempts and only 2 were in the air more than 20 yards. He's a one dimesional game manager. An Orton who doesn't turn it over. Niners just got even better.

Tombstone RJ 11-28-2012 02:00 PM

it's a gamble that could backfire on Harbaugh for sure.

11-28-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3739378)
it's a gamble that could backfire on Harbaugh for sure.

It won't though. Harbaugh owns the city of SF. He even drove the car branden belt sat in the Giants World Series parade. He can do no wrong. His foundations with the Bay go back to the Stanford days. If it doesn't work out they move on. This isn't the first time Harbaugh tried to cast aside Smith. Smith ran back once. If Kaep doesn't work out he will be right there. Harbaugh though will have moved on.

Tombstone RJ 11-28-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3739381)
It won't though. Harbaugh owns the city of SF. He even drove the car branden belt sat in the Giants World Series parade. He can do no wrong. His foundations with the Bay go back to the Stanford days. If it doesn't work out they move on. This isn't the first time Harbaugh tried to cast aside Smith. Smith ran back once. If Kaep doesn't work out he will be right there. Harbaugh though will have moved on.

Harbaugh may have the keys to the city but that doesn't mean the team will like it. As long as the team wins I think everything will be fine, but if the team struggles I think this type of decision could haunt Harbaugh down the line.

Kaylore 11-28-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis (Post 3739347)
I knew that was coming out.

Key difference.

The 2011 Alex Smith 49ers were one play away from the Super Bowl.

The 2000 Bledsoe New England Patriots were one play away from 4-12.

The switch to Brady MADE those Pats a contender.

No he didn't. He wasn't even good then. Brady wasn't good until his third year as a starter. Bledsoe and Brady's stats are almost identical from 2000 to 2001.

DenverBroncosJM 11-28-2012 02:15 PM

I like Kap but I think right around playoff time when teams have film on him he won't look so great.

11-28-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3739375)
I've seen every niner game for 2 years now. The niners are an SB contender despite Smith. When they play from behind their hands are tied. Smith simply does not throw it downfield. 7 years of it. It took him around 4 games this year to actually put the ball in the air more than 20 yards. 92 pass attempts and only 2 were in the air more than 20 yards. He's a one dimesional game manager. An Orton who doesn't turn it over. Niners just got even better.

I've never been a huge Smith fan or anything. But an elite team built around a crushing defense shouldn't be switching late-season from any decent 'game managing' QB to a kid who up until a few weeks ago (when Smith got hurt) had a grand total of 14 NFL passing attempts.

And as soon as you can show me an Orton end-of-game performance that looks anything like the end of the 9ers Saints playoff game last year, let me know.

11-28-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3739383)
Harbaugh may have the keys to the city but that doesn't mean the team will like it. As long as the team wins I think everything will be fine, but if the team struggles I think this type of decision could haunt Harbaugh down the line.

Harbaugh isn't the type of coach that would even tolerate a locker room split. Players have been interviewed over the last week or so on Bay Area radio and every one is on board with Kaep. They feel Alex was holding them back. "Multi dimensional" offense was used by several players. Alex is an Orton. The only way Alex would've stayed as starter in SF is if he won the Super Bowl. The FO doesn't think he can. He's gone before they owe that 7 mil bonus.

Beantown Bronco 11-28-2012 02:19 PM

The Bledsoe comparison is a horrible one for another reason: he almost freaking died on the field. He didn't have a "one week" concussion. He couldn't safely step on the practice field for a long time after that injury, much less play in a game. There was no real decision to be made by the coach to bench Bledsoe until Brady had played most of the season and built up a resume and rapport with the team. Smith lost his job after ONE game. If Bledsoe had a one week injury, Brady would probably still be riding pine somewhere or would be out of the NFL altogether.

11-28-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis (Post 3739394)
And as soon as you can show me an Orton end-of-game performance that looks anything like the end of the 9ers Saints playoff game last year, let me know.

That's one game. Saints suck on the road and I put up alot of money in Vegas based on that. SF is a Super Bowl caliber team at every position except QB. Kaep brings dimesional that Alex can't. 7 years is long enough to know Alex's first read is a check down.

Dutch 11-28-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverBroncosJM (Post 3739393)
I like Kap but I think right around playoff time when teams have film on him he won't look so great.

So do I, but it won't take that long. I'll be interested to see how he fares against the Pats/Bilicheat. They will have 4 games of film on him by then.

ludo21 11-28-2012 02:27 PM

this makes me think more of the Cutler switch than the Bledsoe switch.

Definitely a make or break move for them. They were NOT winning the SB with Smith, so either way its a good move IMO

rbackfactory80 11-28-2012 02:29 PM

Nah, Tony Romo will though.