The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Otis Armstrong gets College HOF honor! (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109067)

broncosteven 11-27-2012 11:58 AM

Otis Armstrong gets College HOF honor!

Only the older generations of Denver Broncos fans can say they remember and watched Otis Armstrong play, but he was a superior NFL running back for eight years in Denver.

Next Tuesday night Otis will be inducted into the National Football Foundation College Football Hall of Fame at a dinner at New York’s Waldorf-Astoria Hotel.

The connection to the dinner does not end with Otis, as the Chairman of the NFF is Archie Manning, father of Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning.

Armstrong was the Broncos’ first-round draft choice out of Purdue in 1973, and while his College Football Hall of Fame selection is tied only to his career at Purdue, he did great at both the college and pro levels.

He had a sensational career at Purdue as the holder of virtually every school and Big 10 rushing record at that time, twice earning consensus All-American honors for the Boilermakers.

As a senior he carried 243 times for 1,363 yards and his college career rushing total was 3,315, sixth on the all-time NCAA list at that time—and this was before freshmen were allowed to play, or his total surely would have been much higher. Armstrong was the first Big 10 player since 1945 to win the league total offense title without throwing a pass.

He rushed for 4,400 yards and had over 6,000 total yards in his Bronco career, which was cut short by injury midway through the 1980 campaign.

Despite a rotation system for running backs in Denver, Armstrong twice ran for 1,000 yards (1974 and 1976), and he led the NFL with his 1,407 yards in 1974, becoming one of a handful of players at that time to average 100 rushing yards per game over an entire season.

A Pro Bowl selection in 1974 and again in 1976, Armstrong was a key player on the Broncos’ 1977 AFC championship team that represented Denver in Super Bowl XII, the first of the franchise’s six Super Bowls.

He had a powerful burst and was described by Head Coach John Ralston as “the best draw runner in pro football” during his Bronco career.

It was a pleasure to watch Otis Armstrong run, and I will be honored to be in the attendance next week and welcome him into the College Football Hall of Fame.

In the cult classic movie “Animal House” there is a character named Otis, and a refrain in the movie is to call out, “Otis, my man!” Oftentimes someone in the Mile High Stadium press box would recite that line—to himself or others–when Armstrong made a big run for the Broncos in the late 1970’s era that began the team’s playoff history.

And in the hard fought 20-17 win over Oakland in which Denver earned its first Super Bowl trip, Denver was nursing a three-point lead when the Broncos got the ball with just over three minutes left, getting to a third and three that would either ice the game or force a punt back to Oakland. It was Armstrong to whom Denver turned for those tough three yards, and he gained four for the game’s final first down to cement the win and bring euphoria to the Mile High City.

More here: http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsacco...of-fame-honor/

BroncoBuff 11-27-2012 12:10 PM

http://img.fanbase.com/media.fanbase...d03c6699ba563e

These are always fun ... how many can you name?

Bonus points for #10 in green, and #44 in white way up on top.

Dutch 11-27-2012 01:59 PM

Super nice guy. Met him as a kid when he was a rook. Shopped with Floyd Little at Dwayne's Menswear in Arvada. That store did custom suits for several of the Bronco's players who could not buy off the rack. I've got a football at my folks with both of their sigs, along with several of the other players from '75. Congrats Otis! Toted the rock for us with authority, and handled himself with class throughout his career.

11-27-2012 02:40 PM

Yeah Armstrong shared carries with Rob Lytle, Larry Canada, John Keyworth and Dave Preston.

broncosteven 11-27-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus (Post 3738849)
Yeah Armstrong shared carries with Rob Lytle, Larry Canada, John Keyworth and Dave Preston.

As well as Floyd and Jim Jensen.

11-27-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3738858)
As well as Floyd and Jim Jensen.

How could I forget Jim Jenson? Red Miller ruined Armstrong's career making him share time with all those scrubs.

broncogary 11-27-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus (Post 3738865)
How could I forget Jim Jenson? Red Miller ruined Armstrong's career making him share time with all those scrubs.

Knee injury in 75 ruined it. He was never the same.

broncosteven 11-27-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus (Post 3738865)

It was injury, he gutted it out but he was never the same after the 1st like Bronco Gary said. It is too bad, he could have been a HOF back.

broncogary 11-27-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoBuff (Post 3738709)

BVP and some guy.

Goobzilla 11-27-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

77 was Jaws in the Bond movies :thanku:

B-Love 11-27-2012 09:22 PM

The first guy everyone should get is our own Tommy Jackson, sitting above number 47. #44 should be Ray Guy, the famous Punter. Otis Armstrong's Purdue teammate Fatso Dave Butz is also in that photo. Johnny Rodgers is there also. So is Oklahoma Sooner Greg Pruitt number 30. Great photo!!

11-27-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Give some props to a young feller for pointing out TJ???

driver 11-28-2012 02:00 AM

Quote:

I think the the guy in the Green #10 jersey is Jack Lambert from Kent STate.

B-Love 11-28-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driver (Post 3739150)
I think the the guy in the Green #10 jersey is Jack Lambert from Kent STate.

That's Brad Van Pelt, Bradlee's Dad; who went on to a great career as a Giants Linebacker. Had a cup of tea with the Raiders too.

driver 11-29-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Love (Post 3739296)
Quote:

That's Brad Van Pelt, Bradlee's Dad; who went on to a great career as a Giants Linebacker. Had a cup of tea with the Raiders too.

Just a guess on my part. Sure you're right though!
The guy in the picture looks like a human being! It couldn't have been Lambert!:rofl::rofl:

BowlenBall 11-29-2012 02:43 AM

Good for Armstrong -- was so proud that a Denver Bronco was the first man on the moon, but the doping scandal really tarnished his legacy (although I still support his cancer foundation). Nice to see that the HOF voters didn't hold it against him.

TomServo 12-01-2012 12:29 AM

Another freaking brilliant pick by john ralston. Armstrong was the real deal. he broke up the string of rushing titles by OJ. for a string of @ six years all the rushing titles went to OJ or a denver bronco. floyd little was the other bookend in 1971. Armstrong just might have been the best rb in bronco history. yes i love TD too but both were injured and never realized their potential.

12-01-2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomServo (Post 3740716)
Another freaking brilliant pick by john ralston. Armstrong was the real deal. he broke up the string of rushing titles by OJ. for a string of @ six years all the rushing titles went to OJ or a denver bronco. floyd little was the other bookend in 1971. Armstrong just might have been the best rb in bronco history. yes i love TD too but both were injured and never realized their potential.

Too bad they couldn't have kept Ralston on after hiring Miller. Ralston's drafts were epic.

TomServo 12-01-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Too bad they couldn't have kept Ralston on after hiring Miller. Ralston's drafts were epic.
if it wasnt for john ralston the broncos would have been the bengals, or browns or oilers or hahah the chargers.

Champagne Powder 12-01-2012 11:12 AM

Armstrong was the Big Ten MVP in 1972 and finished eighth that season in the Heisman balloting. BTW, Tom Jackson is also in the College Football Hall of Fame.

broncosteven 12-01-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowlenBall (Post 3739687)
Good for Armstrong -- was so proud that a Denver Bronco was the first man on the moon, but the doping scandal really tarnished his legacy (although I still support his cancer foundation). Nice to see that the HOF voters didn't hold it against him.

You know that was Neil right?

BroncoBuff 12-01-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Love (Post 3739296)

Correct-a-mundo. And speaking of tea with the Raiders, #44 on top is Ray Guy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbroncosfan
Give some props to a young feller for pointing out TJ

I shouldn't presume to give you points Canadian, I missed him altogether, boy is my face red.

BroncoBuff 12-01-2012 04:24 PM

OFFENSIVE TEAM: Top to bottom, left to right: Jerry Sisemore (76), lineman, Texas; Tom Brahaney (54),
center, Oklahoma; Terry Metcalf (22), running back, Long Beach; John Carroll (10), place kicker, Oklahoma;
Otis Armstrong (24), running back, Purdue; Pete Adams (77), lineman, Southern California;
Gary Huff (19), quarterback, Florida State; Skip Singletary (64), lineman, Temple; Johnny Rodgers (20),
wide receiver, Nebraska; Greg Pruitt (30), running back, Oklahoma; Charles Young (89), tight end,
Southern California; Nick Bebout (71), lineman, Wyoming.

DEFENSIVE TEAM: Top to bottom, left to right: Steve Brown (44), linebacker, Oregon State; Ray Guy (44),
punter, Southern Miss; Joe Ehrmann (76), lineman, Syracuse; Tom Jackson (50), linebacker, Louisville;
Matt Blair (47), linebacker, Iowa State; Willie Harper (81), lineman, Nebraska; Jackie Wallace (25), cornerback,
Arizona; Rich Glover (79), middle guard, Nebraska; Greg Marx (75), lineman, Notre Dame; Dave Butz (62),
lineman, Purdue; Cullen Bryant (16), CB, Colorado; Brad Van Pelt (10), safety, Michigan State. Front: Bob Devaney,
Coach of the Year, Nebraska