The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Jake the Snake is back in Colorado (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109038)

Boobs McGee 11-26-2012 08:45 AM

Jake the Snake is back in Colorado
 
Found this on Reddit today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/26/sp...e-he-left.html

"His mind drifted back to Colorado, where his wife had family. Their return was clinched when he spotted a house for sale within 10 minutes of the most pristine outdoor handball courts in the state. A few weeks after the move, Plummer attended the Broncos’ season opener against the Steelers by himself, with a ticket given to him by the Broncos’ owner, Pat Bowlen. When parachutists descended into the stadium for a pregame celebration, Plummer saw that the crowd was distracted. He left the owner’s box, walked down to the mezzanine and stood inside a walkway at the 45-yard line.

Plummer said fans did double-takes when they saw him. But as the game continued, he reminisced with longtime security guards, talked with a young fan whose parents had told him not to bother Plummer, high-fived a mascot and was treated to a few beers by fans who said they remembered him fondly.

Plummer later slipped down to the sideline to watch Manning and Roethlisberger, who had each ruined his postseason hopes. But Plummer did not dwell on that. He cheered on the Broncos’ defense, the way he used to as a player, when he wanted to get back out onto the field as quickly as possible.

After the Broncos won, 31-19, Plummer sat on a patch of grass outside and watched jubilant fans exit the stadium.

“I used to play a big part of that,” Plummer said. “Sending people out of the stadium ecstatic and full of energy.”


The article mentions (very) briefly that he might want to look at getting into television. I don't know how he'd do as an analyst, but I'd be interested to see. Couldn't be any worse than Trent Dilfer.

Anywho, I know there are many here that don't like him, but welcome back Jake!

BroncoMan4ever 11-26-2012 08:58 AM

Still my second favorite Broncos QB. He got a bad rap and was screwed by Shanahan, when all the guy did was win games for this team.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN 11-26-2012 09:01 AM

KC COULD OF USED HIM YESTERDAY LOL

DAN_BRONCO_FAN 11-26-2012 09:02 AM

maybe Jake can coach CU

bronco militia 11-26-2012 09:03 AM

the Orange Manes favorite quitter has returned!

ZZZ...

Crushaholic 11-26-2012 09:14 AM

I regret giving away my Plummer jersey. At the time, it was a gut reaction to quitting football. As as time went by, I came to understand that all he did was win football games. As a Broncos fan, I'm very appreciative of what Plummer accomplished...:thumbs:

lonestar 11-26-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever (Post 3737627)
Still my second favorite Broncos QB. He got a bad rap and was screwed by Shanahan, when all the guy did was win games for this team.

on this we agree.. had his best season ever after working most of the off season with Kubes and killed it that season..

could he have won it all, many that hated him say no.. But I'm not so sure had mikey gotten OL somewhere besides the last 4 rounds in the draft, who knows what might have happened..

lonestar 11-26-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronco militia (Post 3737636)
the Orange Manes favorite quitter has returned!

ZZZ...

ah a hater.. sounds like envy to me..

If you had millions in the bank, had a super hot girlfriend and the prospects of getting your butt kicked and beat up WEEKLY with a lousy team in Florida what would you do?

bronco militia 11-26-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonestar (Post 3737653)
ah a hater.. sounds like envy to me..

If you had millions in the bank, had a super hot girlfriend and the prospects of getting your butt kicked and beat up WEEKLY with a lousy team in Florida what would you do?

I didn't really care for jake before, during, or after his time with the Broncos. He was an upgrade over Brian Griese and that was about it.

Cache Glades 11-26-2012 09:39 AM

72% win percentage. 3 playoff appearances in 5 yrs... Only the ego that is Mike Shanahan would have run this guy out of town

Kaylore 11-26-2012 09:40 AM

Jake stopped caring about football. That's what got him benched. He was a glorious game day QB. He was a terrible Wednesday-Friday QB.

v2micca 11-26-2012 09:47 AM

I appreciated what Jake did for the Broncos during his time as our signal caller. And I can respect that there was just more to life for him than football alone. I didn't care for his public schadenfreude at the misfortune of Shanahan and the Broncos, and felt his ongoing snipes served to diminish both men. Other than that, I would gladly buy him a beer if I ever ran into him in a sports bar.

SoCalBronco 11-26-2012 09:50 AM

Unfortunate.

Lestat 11-26-2012 09:52 AM

still my 4th fav Broncos QB. Elway-Manning-Cutler-Plummer.
i don't have the hate that some do for him. i knew from his days as a Cardinal what to expect and what not to.

Crushaholic 11-26-2012 09:53 AM

He was the king of the bootleg. When Kubiak left, Plummer's weaknesses were exposed...

lonestar 11-26-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3737666)
Jake stopped caring about football. That's what got him benched. He was a glorious game day QB. He was a terrible Wednesday-Friday QB.

Except the last year Kubes was here spent most of the off season studying film with him and he numbers were never better that year.

Frankly after Kubes his buffer from mikey left, dinger came to town and redid the offensive scheme to rpfeature drop back passing and then the coup de gra of drafting the pro typical drop back passer. He saw the writing on the wall.

Had the OL been designed for pass protect instead of ZBS and roll out passing, then perhaps that would have been a good move. But he was forced to play a style of ball he was never comfortable with and the OL stunk at it.

Some will note that the next year jay was running for his life also and then it seemed to be okay, yet they forced it on Jake.

Given those circumstances what would you have done? More money than he needed for his life style, a stunning girlfriend now wife and a passion for handball.

Instead of getting beat up each week or "sleeping" late with his sweetie pie, seems like an easy choice for any reasonable intelligent person to make.

Lestat 11-26-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushaholic (Post 3737691)
He was the king of the bootleg. When Kubiak left, Plummer's weaknesses were exposed...

i still don't understand why the bootleg is so underutilized by mobile QB's today.
i loved seeing him roll out and get on the edge to deliver the football or take off and run for some nice yards.

v2micca 11-26-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 3737695)
i still don't understand why the bootleg is so underutilized by mobile QB's today.
i loved seeing him roll out and get on the edge to deliver the football or take off and run for some nice yards.

Because the Bootleg is largely a constraint play. It will burn teams that are cheating off the line or playing undisciplined. A team that is playing disciplined assignment based football will eat it alive. The Plummer-led Broncos were able to use it so effectively because our bread and butter was actually zone runs where the back could cut back between the tackles. We would use the bootleg when teams started cheating off the edges to try to seal the backside.

lonestar 11-26-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 3737695)
i still don't understand why the bootleg is so underutilized by mobile QB's today.
i loved seeing him roll out and get on the edge to deliver the football or take off and run for some nice yards.

PIT stopped it by setting the edge and not allowing our running game to function as they made sure their DL played the gaps. That allowed them to contain Jake to keep him from rolling out.

In fact many times our porus OL allowed defenders to get back to the drop back spot almost as fast as Jake could.

While everyone raved about our great OL PIT destroyed it.

sgbfan 11-26-2012 10:10 AM

I liked Plummer a lot as a player and even more as a person. He isn't your typical QB. What QB quits at 33 to play handball?

That said, the offense wasn't doing anything with him there and playing Cutler was the right move at the time. Now with hindsight, I think the Broncos would have been better off getting more help for Plummer after going to the AFCCG than drafting Cutler though, given how Cutler is such a punk.

BowlenBall 11-26-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 3737689)
still my 4th fav Broncos QB. Elway-Manning-Cutler-Plummer.
i don't have the hate that some do for him. i knew from his days as a Cardinal what to expect and what not to.

I've got him somewhere in the middle... Plummer had a few good times, a few bad times....

1. Elway
2. Tebow
3. Kubiak
4. Briscoe
5. Manning (rising up the list fast)
6. Plummer
7. Morton
8. Tripucka
9. Moore
10. Maddox
11. Griese
12. Cutler
13. Orton

SoCalBronco 11-26-2012 10:25 AM

1. Elway
2. Cutler
3. Manning
...



4. Everyone else

Lestat 11-26-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v2micca (Post 3737706)
Because the Bootleg is largely a constraint play. It will burn teams that are cheating off the line or playing undisciplined. A team that is playing disciplined assignment based football will eat it alive. The Plummer-led Broncos were able to use it so effectively because our bread and butter was actually zone runs where the back could cut back between the tackles. We would use the bootleg when teams started cheating off the edges to try to seal the backside.

yes but most defenses in the NFL are undisciplined. they barely tackle properly, take bad angles, go for kill shots instead of wrapping up and most don't set the edge.

you can use the bootleg as a mobile pocket to take pressure off the QB and allow him some more time to deliver the pass or tuck it and run to pick up some cheap yards.

i'm not saying run it every play but in the red zone near the goal line when the DL is packed to stop the up the gut run you can break it out to take the defense by surprise.

mwill07 11-26-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowlenBall (Post 3737720)
I've got him somewhere in the middle... Plummer had a few good times, a few bad times....

1. Elway
2. Tebow
3. Kubiak
4. Briscoe
5. Manning (rising up the list fast)
6. Plummer
7. Morton
8. Tripucka
9. Moore
10. Maddox
11. Griese
12. Cutler
13. Orton

lol @ Maddox > Griese, cutler, or Orton.

Not saying I disagree...

2KBack 11-26-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 3737746)
yes but most defenses in the NFL are undisciplined. they barely tackle properly, take bad angles, go for kill shots instead of wrapping up and most don't set the edge.

you can use the bootleg as a mobile pocket to take pressure off the QB and allow him so more time to deliver the pass or tuck it and run to pick up some cheap yards.

i'm not saying run it every play but in the red zone near the goal line when the DL is packed to stop the up the gut run you can break it out to take the defense by surprise.

Kubes still runs it pretty often, and Shanahan has gone back to it with Griffin and it's been great for them.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.