The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Handling the two minute warning (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109023)

iforgotmypassword 11-25-2012 04:50 PM

Handling the two minute warning

So here's the situation... You go to the line of scrimmage. You have a two second difference between the play clock and the two minute warning...you have to snap the ball. The defense is in all out stop the run mode. Why do you not pass the ball??? This didn't necessarily hurt us today but in my opinion Manning certainly played this wrong and should have check to a pass. It blows my mind that teams constantly don't take advantage of this.

Sorry if I have some poor spelling etc on here. Posting from my phone.

Jetmeck 11-25-2012 04:53 PM

Saw that as well and was shocked the Mastermind did not change the play.

11-25-2012 05:01 PM

Fox 'n McCoy ineptness rubbing off on Peyton.

broncosteven 11-25-2012 05:43 PM

Your also on the road, weren't they in FG range?

The conservative route suited us just fine today.

USMCBladerunner 11-25-2012 06:06 PM

Agree...bad call...we then threw on 3rd down...deep to DT, so I thought running into the 2 min warning to use all of 4 seconds off the clock was a poor decision.

11-25-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iforgotmypassword (Post 3736859)
So here's the situation... You go to the line of scrimmage. You have a two second difference between the play clock and the two minute warning...you have to snap the ball. The defense is in all out stop the run mode. Why do you not pass the ball??? This didn't necessarily hurt us today but in my opinion Manning certainly played this wrong and should have check to a pass. It blows my mind that teams constantly don't take advantage of this.

Sorry if I have some poor spelling etc on here. Posting from my phone.

I always scream the same thing. That is also why when you need to stop the clock I would never call a TO right before the 2 min warning. It would allow the other team to pass or run.

DBroncos4life 11-25-2012 06:39 PM

You run the ball this game vs a poor team to get other good teams thinking later. Why waste showing anything this game?

11-25-2012 06:50 PM

I mentioned this in the game thread.

broncocalijohn 11-25-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3737043)
I mentioned this in the game thread.

you and another I believe. CLock was stopping anyways so why not take the 3 to 4 foot step back and throw the ball. The clock is going to stop on the good side of 2 minutes anyways.

11-25-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncocalijohn (Post 3737047)
you and another I believe. CLock was stopping anyways so why not take the 3 to 4 foot step back and throw the ball. The clock is going to stop on the good side of 2 minutes anyways.

Yep. Worked out in the end but would like to see a pass next time if the situation rises.

barryr 11-25-2012 07:21 PM

Many coaches do not think ahead like that and use common sense. Most will do what everybody else does, which is play it conservative even though in this case the clock is going to stop anyway for the 2 minute warning. But if Manning gets a pass deflected or it bounces off a WR for a pick then most would think it that was a bad decision as well.

enjolras 11-25-2012 07:22 PM

You're 100% right. I was screaming at the bar about it.

It's the *perfect* time to take a shot deep down the field. Sure you bring an interception into play, but more likely you get a pass interference and a first down or a catch and a big play.

Blown opportunity IMHO.