The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Broncos release running back Jeremiah Johnson from practice squad (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108999)

baja 11-24-2012 08:05 AM

Broncos release running back Jeremiah Johnson from practice squad

Broncos release running back Jeremiah Johnson from practice squad
POSTED: 11/23/2012 04:05:48 PM MST
UPDATED: 11/23/2012 04:07:16 PM MSTBy Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Jeremiah Johnson (Denver Post file)
The Broncos started the week with five running backs. They now have three.

In a procedural move, the Broncos released running back Jeremiah Johnson from their practice squad Friday with the plan of re-signing him back early next week. The move was made because the Broncos only have 52 players on their 53-man roster after starting tailback Willis McGahee was placed Wednesday on injured reserve with a designation to return.

Because Johnson has three years of NFL service, the Broncos had to either promote Johnson from the practice squad to fill the vacated spot on the 53-man roster or release him. The Broncos have decided instead to take on the Kansas City Chiefs this Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium with a three-man, running-back committee of Knowshon Moreno, Lance Ball and Ronnie Hillman.

Read more: Broncos release running back Jeremiah Johnson from practice squad - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2D9X0eb3g
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

11-24-2012 08:08 AM

Cue OM meltdown in 3, 2, 1...

11-24-2012 08:11 AM

but he was the best running back we have .

Bigdawg26 11-24-2012 08:16 AM

I hope we bring him back. He's alot better than Ball and Mareno.

Beantown Bronco 11-24-2012 08:19 AM

He'll be the next Chad Mustard.

baja 11-24-2012 08:19 AM

Maybe this is a way to circumvent the PS rules and activate him. It seems so odd to release him now with McGahee down.

Heyneck 11-24-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3734788)
Maybe this is a way to circumvent the PS rules and activate him. It seems so odd to release him now with McGahee down.

he was releases... not promoted. No way he can get activated. But you are right... it is odd for them to do so right now. For me, it's a sign that we will sign one of the 2 RB we tried out this week, and use his spot on the PS on another developing player.

theAPAOps5 11-24-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 (Post 3734786)

Yet he was on the practice squad..... Because he is so much better than those two. That's exactly how the NFL works.

baja 11-24-2012 09:54 AM

First line in article;

"In a procedural move, the Broncos released running back Jeremiah Johnson from their practice squad Friday with the plan of re-signing him back early next week."

theAPAOps5 11-24-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3734788)

No, they had to release him or sign him to the active roster prior to the game. They probably weren't ready to sign a RB they tried out and he has very little time left of PS eligibility. I am not sure if adding him to the roster would have burnt it all up or not. So they take a risk releasing him but if a team was going to take him they would have tried to snag him of the PS already.

They probably still see potential in him but do not think he is ready for full time participation on the squad and they will continue to keep kicking tires on retread RB's.

theAPAOps5 11-24-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3734849)
First line in article;

"In a procedural move, the Broncos released running back Jeremiah Johnson from their practice squad Friday with the plan of re-signing him back early next week."

Second line.

Lestat 11-24-2012 10:11 AM

i'm still trying to figure out how Lance Ball is better than him. but whatever.

baja 11-24-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 3734863)

he protects Peyton Manning.

What's that worth to you?

errand 11-24-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 (Post 3734786)

.. yes, because practice squad = a lot better

Hamrob 11-24-2012 10:27 AM

I'm surprised we haven't signed a big back. Defenses are going to come after Manning on 3rd down. Sure, if anyone can handle that, it's Manning....but still.

baja 11-24-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamrob (Post 3734867)
I'm surprised we haven't signed a big back. Defenses are going to come after Manning on 3rd down. Sure, if anyone can handle that, it's Manning....but still.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosspe...47?source=jBar

11-24-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by errand (Post 3734865)
.. yes, because practice squad = a lot better

Worked for Arian Foster ???

Hercules Rockefeller 11-24-2012 10:41 AM

Foster was on the PS for half a season, this is Johnson's 3rd. What a great comparison.

DBroncos4life 11-24-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3734864)
he protects Peyton Manning.

What's that worth to you?

Having a running back worth a damn at running the ball seems to be too much to ask for I guess.

theAPAOps5 11-24-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaiy (Post 3734870)

So you think Jeremiah Johnson is as good as Arian Foster?

baja 11-24-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBroncos4life (Post 3734876)
Having a running back worth a damn at running the ball seems to be too much to ask for I guess.

Well we don't have one right now. Maybe KM or Hillman will come on but you just don't snap your fingers and appear one. In the mean time we got Ball who is a hell of a blocker on third down and he can catch and run enough to be a threat.

errand 11-24-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 3734863)

I'm still trying to figure out why so many OMers fall in love with guys who can't make any roster on any NFL team, but to each his own.....

oubronco 11-24-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyneck (Post 3734843)
he was releases... not promoted. No way he can get activated. But you are right... it is odd for them to do so right now. For me, it's a sign that we will sign one of the 2 RB we tried out this week, and use his spot on the PS on another developing player.

the Broncos released running back Jeremiah Johnson from their practice squad Friday with the plan of re-signing him back early next week

Read more: Broncos release running back Jeremiah Johnson from practice squad - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2DAGf2lGf
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

DBroncos4life 11-24-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3734885)
Well we don't have one right now. Maybe KM or Hillman will come on but you just don't snap your fingers and appear one. In the mean time we got Ball who is a hell of a blocker on third down and he can catch and run enough to be a threat.

I think everyone in the world knew that Denver didn't have a running back able to run after McGahee. The FO didn't need to snap the fingers they just needed to be prepared for something like this. Moreno and Hillman should be on the roster. They had all offseason to do something to improve on Ball.

Having a guy that is good at blocking like Ball is great but it still is a liability for Manning. Ball comes in teams know he is in there to block not run so they can send more people. One missed block and bam down goes Manning.

errand 11-24-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaiy (Post 3734870)

so you found one exception to counter the many nameless clowns known as the rule?

Is JJ in your mind, potentially the next Arian Foster?