The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   War, Religion and Politics Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Woman denied abortion dies in agony in Hospital (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108761)

Bronco Yoda 11-16-2012 01:38 AM

Woman denied abortion dies in agony in Hospital
 
http://www.latimes.com/news/world/wo...,3031709.story


http://jezebel.com/5960385/woman-den...es-in-hospital

"Her husband, Praveen Halappanavar says she asked several times over a three-day period that the pregnancy be terminated. He says that, having been told she was miscarrying, and after one day in severe pain, Ms Halappanavar asked for a medical termination.

This was refused, he says, because the foetal heartbeat was still present and they were told, "this is a Catholic country".

Even though Halappanavar, a Hindu, was emphatic that she was neither Irish nor Catholic, and even though she developed shakes and shivering and was vomiting." ...

L.A. BRONCOS FAN 08-15-2013 11:21 AM

http://www.bartcop.com/gop-dummies-primer.jpg

08-15-2013 01:06 PM

You move to a place where you hate their views and expect them to bend their will to you? Brilliant. Deliciously arrogant.

Smiling Assassin27 08-16-2013 08:56 AM

An inquest concluded that she did not die from lack of abortion. But listen to a distraught husband rather than expert medical doctors.

Rohirrim 08-16-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3893609)
You move to a place where you hate their views and expect them to bend their will to you? Brilliant. Deliciously arrogant.

Yeah. She had it coming.

Your enjoyment is ghoulish.

08-16-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 (Post 3893965)
An inquest concluded that she did not die from lack of abortion. But listen to a distraught husband rather than expert medical doctors.

Vaccination gave Jenny McCarthy's kid autism. Just ask her.

DenverBrit 08-16-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 (Post 3893965)
An inquest concluded that she did not die from lack of abortion. But listen to a distraught husband rather than expert medical doctors.

It's not that simple. Ireland has seen this play out before and despite the Irish Courts ruling decades ago, Catholic dogma still costs lives by preventing abortions when the mother's life is in danger.

Quote:

Ireland's Supreme Court in 1992 ruled that abortion should be permitted when a woman's life is at risk (Reuters, 11/16). However, successive governments have failed to pass legislation to clarify the ruling (Pogatchnik, AP/Miami Herald, 11/15). In 2010, the European Court of Human Rights ordered Ireland to specify what the Supreme Court's ruling means in practice (Reuters, 11/16).

Peter Boylan of the Irish Institute of Obstetricians and Gynecologists said that the current situation makes physicians reluctant to take action when women's lives are threatened because they fear prosecution. "If we do something with a good intention, but it turns out to be illegal, the consequences are extremely serious for medical practitioners," he said (AP/Miami Herald, 11/15).

http://go.nationalpartnership.org/si...0&abbr=daily2_

In this case, the inquest did cite septicemia, or blood poisoning. However, the cause of the infection was most likely the fetus. She may well still be alive were it not for the intended law being ignored.

Quote:

"I don't do abortions, I'll tell you right now. ... But I'd have to tell the mother, 'Your baby doesn't have a chance and to save your life, I have to do this,'" said Dr. John Coppes, the medical director at Austin Medical Center-Mayo Health System in Minnesota.

Coppes, who has never met Halappanavar, said that when a woman's water, or amniotic sac, breaks during early pregnancy, she is at risk for infection because the barrier between the baby and the outside world is broken. The fetus's environment is also no longer sterile, putting it at risk for "horrible malformations."

Coppes said the fact that Halappanavar's husband reported she was ill and vomiting suggested a serious infection had set in, and it's possible that it spread to her blood, resulting the septicemia that killed her. When asked how long it takes for an infection in the uterus to spread to the blood, Coppes said it can vary.

"Let's put it this way, the clock starts ticking when the membrane ruptures," he said. "It can be pretty fast. That's why you don't sit and watch."

When an infection occurs in a pregnant woman's uterus, Dr. Kimberly Gecsi, an obstetrician at University Hospitals in Cleveland, said the only way to treat it is to terminate the pregnancy.

"Antibiotics are part of the process, but once an infection develops inside the uterus, antibiotics alone aren't going to treat the infection," Gecsi said. "The infection will continue until the products of pregnancy are removed, either by natural procedure or with surgical procedure."

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/irish-a...ry?id=17720871

DenverBrit 08-16-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3893609)
You move to a place where you hate their views and expect them to bend their will to you? Brilliant. Deliciously arrogant.

WTF is wrong with you??

TonyR 08-16-2013 12:18 PM

Apparently there are only two states left in the country, Colorado and Florida, that still have individual Doctors providing late-term abortions. The anti-abortion movement has pretty much run the rest of them out of business (or, you know, murdered them). Sounds okay (except perhaps the murder part) until you realize that sometimes a late term procedure is needed for the health or safety of the mother or an unborn twin, and in those cases people have very limited options. It's the kind of thing almost nobody considers in their anti-abortion fervor. The link below details one such story.

http://www.pajiba.com/think_pieces/a...heartbreak.php

08-16-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3894037)
Apparently there are only two states left in the country, Colorado and Florida, that still have individual Doctors providing late-term abortions. The anti-abortion movement has pretty much run the rest of them out of business (or, you know, murdered them). Sounds okay (except perhaps the murder part) until you realize that sometimes a late term procedure is needed for the health or safety of the mother or an unborn twin, and in those cases people have very limited options. It's the kind of thing almost nobody considers in their anti-abortion fervor. The link below details one such story.

http://www.pajiba.com/think_pieces/a...heartbreak.php

The biggest limitation on Abortion providers, by far, is that most qualified health care professionals don't want to do them.

08-16-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3893976)
Yeah. She had it coming.

Your enjoyment is ghoulish.

You seem intent on displaying your low IQ.

If I don't want the medical care given by Islamic law, then I don't live in a Muslim country. This is not rocket science.

08-16-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis (Post 3894044)
The biggest limitation on Abortion providers, by far, is that most qualified health care professionals don't want to do them.

How dare they exercise their right to practice as they choose!

08-16-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 (Post 3893965)
An inquest concluded that she did not die from lack of abortion. But listen to a distraught husband rather than expert medical doctors.

Never let science nor a court of law stop the media from hyping the scandal of the moment. They're white, they're Christian. Perfect.

pricejj 08-16-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3894037)
Apparently there are only two states left in the country, Colorado and Florida, that still have individual Doctors providing late-term abortions. The anti-abortion movement has pretty much run the rest of them out of business (or, you know, murdered them).

37 of 50 U.S. States allow abortion after 24 weeks.

The only other countries IN THE WORLD that allow (non-special) abortion after 24 weeks are China and Canada.

But, by all means, keep pushing that agenda.

pricejj 08-16-2013 10:32 PM

The United States is only one of four countries in the entire world which allows abortions to be performed so late, and for any reason. You read that right. We are one of four out of 196 countries in this world.

http://www.lifenews.com/2013/08/04/u...or-any-reason/

pricejj 08-16-2013 10:40 PM

Never let facts get in the way of your baby-killing agenda TonyR.


71% of U.S. Citizens believe that abortion should generally be illegal in the 2nd Trimester (week 13), which would fit right in with 99% of the rest of the world.


Get a freaking clue, dude. You are so far out of touch with reality that it's not even funny.

Rohirrim 08-17-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3894230)
You seem intent on displaying your low IQ.

If I don't want the medical care given by Islamic law, then I don't live in a Muslim country. This is not rocket science.

Take glee in your judgment of others. That's what you seem to excel at.

houghtam 08-17-2013 07:09 AM

Cool so what people in other countries think is important now? Great! Lets discuss the death penalty, paid maternity leave, health care and number of paid vacation days.

Oh, you only brought up global opinion because it suited your argument?

Gotcha.

DenverBrit 08-17-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3894231)
How dare they exercise their right to practice as they choose!

They choose to allow abortions......now, after decades of politicians ignoring the Irish Supreme court and another needless death. How dare they!!

Ireland Enacts Law Providing For Abortion, A First

by
July 30, 2013 2:26 PM

Ireland now has its first law making abortion legal in the country under specific conditions, after President Michael D. Higgins signed the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Bill 2013 into law Tuesday........

.......The legislation comes after an incident last fall, when as The Irish Times' John Waters says, "a woman died in hospital in Galway as a result, it was said, of a failure to give her an abortion when she requested one and when this would've saved her life."

That incident, which came to be known as the Halappanavar case after the late Savita Halappanavar, "caused a huge controversy which drew attention to the lack of clarity in the law and most politicians preferred not to have to deal with," Waters told NPR's Rachel Martin on .

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ortion-a-first

Arkie 08-17-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houghtam (Post 3894311)
Cool so what people in other countries think is important now? Great! Lets discuss the death penalty, paid maternity leave, health care and number of paid vacation days.

Oh, you only brought up global opinion because it suited your argument?

Gotcha.

No he also brought up U.S. opinion at 71% which is lower than the rest of the world. That's why this Irish incident is probably a bigger news item in the U.S. than anywhere else in the world.

edit: except India and Ireland, the countries directly related to this story

houghtam 08-17-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkie (Post 3894326)
No he also brought up U.S. opinion at 71% which is lower than the rest of the world. That's why this Irish incident is probably a bigger news item in the U.S. than anywhere else in the world.

edit: except India and Ireland, the countries directly related to this story

Got it, so when 71% of people think one way we should bend to their wishes. Is this what you are saying?

Arkie 08-17-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houghtam (Post 3894341)
Got it, so when 71% of people think one way we should bend to their wishes. Is this what you are saying?

No, but it's worth discussion even though we've bent to the wishes of lower percentages on other issues.

pricejj 08-17-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houghtam (Post 3894311)
Cool so what people in other countries think is important now?

I understand this is a REAL contentious issue. Maybe you are one of the people who has been convinced that unrestricted abortion should generally be legal. I don't know how you could be convinced of that, but there are a lot of things people do which I don't understand.


1. The U.S. is one of the FEW places in the entire world that you can legally get a general abortion after the 13 weeks.
2. Only 21% of U.S. adults believe in general abortion after 13 weeks.

pricejj 08-17-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houghtam (Post 3894341)
Got it, so when 71% of people think one way we should bend to their wishes. Is this what you are saying?

Who is we? You and a few of your buddies? U.S. law abortion law is WAY out of whack according to the vast majority of American people, and 99% of the rest of the countries in the world.

It is truly amazing how some of you have been utterly convinced that killing people with drone strikes and unrestrictive abortion is somehow ok.

Some of you can be convinced of anything through mass marketing. Then you can be compelled to vote on your conviction through mass marketing. Then you go on public forums like this one, and promote killing like it's 2nd nature, without batting an eyelash. It's frightening.

08-17-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkie (Post 3894326)
No he also brought up U.S. opinion at 71% which is lower than the rest of the world. That's why this Irish incident is probably a bigger news item in the U.S. than anywhere else in the world.

edit: except India and Ireland, the countries directly related to this story

Stories like this are only going to get real air time in the West, where the left has its suffocating paws on a large portion of the mainstream media. The liberal media enjoy airing sensational stories specifically about their pet causes, and this is one of them.

Pet cause journalism. YEAH! :egbgb:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.