The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What Can We Do Better? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108748)

Doggcow 11-15-2012 01:58 PM

What Can We Do Better?

Our team is playing at an elite level in all 3 phases of the game. There are more than enough threads devoted to Holiday, Miller, Woody, and how baller we've been. So, where could we improve?

I'll start:

Problem: Ball Control. The Fumbling could be the epic ****ups that cost us against real contenders.

Solution: I'm not entirely sure. I don't know if Hillman is ready, or if McGahee needs to just do more curls. I would not be upset with going to an almost exclusively passing offense, and getting Hillman in space on gimmicky pass plays that get him in space. McGahee just isn't doing a good job when it comes to hits from all angles, he's fumbling from the hits behind him, that he doesn't see coming.

bronco militia 11-15-2012 02:02 PM

the Broncos need to play better against winning teams.....see you week 13

11-15-2012 02:04 PM

Running the ball...we are 26th in the league averaging 3.8 ypc.

We need to cover TEs better obviously. And the defense can still get much better... Sunday was the type of game they should have held Carolina to 7 - 10 points. But the offense didn't do them any favors going 3 and out again and again.

Need to stop let teams converting on down and long situations. Carolina converted on 2nd and 20 on 1 throw... that can't happen.

crowebomber 11-15-2012 02:06 PM

Covering the tight end. I think DJ is better than Mays or Brooking at dropping back in coverage so we might see some improvement there, but good pass-catching TEs seem to have great games against us.

Definitely agree on the fumbles. Thomas holds it like a loaf of bread when he starts to motor down field

NFLBRONCO 11-15-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronco militia (Post 3727171)
the Broncos need to play better against winning teams.....see you week 13

Yep #1 problem

#2 problem Running and fumbling the rock

11-15-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowebomber (Post 3727173)
Covering the tight end. I think DJ is better than Mays or Brooking at dropping back in coverage so we might see some improvement there, but good pass-catching TEs seem to have great games against us.

Definitely agree on the fumbles. Thomas holds it like a loaf of bread when he starts to motor down field

This.

Covering TEs is the weak link

11-15-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowebomber (Post 3727173)

Thomas fumbles have been highly over exaggerated. Not to say he isn't responsible, but those were just all freak plays (not like McGahee's fumbles).

Thomas has 3 fumbles on the year...

Fumble 1 - many people don't remember, but this fumble was when the game was over and the clock was 0:00 and everyone was just throwing laterals... he happened to throw the last lateral and the other team got it. Game over. Meaningless.

Fumble 2 - fumbled the ball trying to switch hands...

Fumble 3 - caught the ball and got tackled a millisecond later before he could fully secure the ball.

Thomas obviously hasn't fumbled since then. Manning has just as many fumbles as Thomas.

pricejj 11-15-2012 02:14 PM

Holy crap. I just devoted 20 minutes to crafting a thread just like this one.

Hillman is the only dude that worries me. I know he has it in him. He just has to come out of his shell, and get electric.

Also, would like to see DJ come in and shut down TE's, but not at the expense of our #2 overall Running Defense.

11-15-2012 02:16 PM

Hillman is thinking too much and not playing fast... he knows it and just said it this week.

pricejj 11-15-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Action (Post 3727182)
Hillman is thinking too much and not playing fast... he knows it and just said it this week.

Where did you see that?

Seriously, if the 21 year-old gets rolling...I will camp outside the SuperDome until February.

11-15-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricejj (Post 3727192)
Where did you see that?

Seriously, if the 21 year-old gets rolling...I will camp outside the SuperDome until February.

Some interview quote... he said something about needing to play faster or something along those lines...

But you can see it in the game... the most decisive run he had was when he ran for the TD. Following his blockers, waited for the hole to open and hit it.

The offensive line isn't doing him any favors though in opening up holes.

yakyakyuk 11-15-2012 02:45 PM

1) Turnovers are clearly top issue - primarily fumbles. We have not had a single game without a turnover.

2) Consistent production from our run game. Maybe Kuper helps.

**Depth at RB is a factor - cant really bench WM (which after 5 fumbles should be considered) any injury to WM and major problem.

3) LB Play - primarily pass coverage. Maybe DJ helps. We have not been tested by strong run game since NE torched us.

** we need a MLB that is smart (like Brookings) but fast (like Trevathan) and has passion (Mays?).

4) Too many drops from WR/TE - every week we have at least one big drop.

11-15-2012 02:45 PM

My biggest concern is shooting self in foot with own mistakes. I would like to add vet rb like Hightower, Addai or Grant. I'm worried a little about that position.

Atwater His Ass 11-15-2012 02:55 PM

The problem with DJ helping in coverage, is that well, he's not very good at it. For a guy with his quickness and athletic ability that was one time projected as a S in the NFL, you'd think he could shut down TE's. But he can't.

Biggest issue for me with this team currently is the running game. We've been completely shut down the last 2 weeks against inferior opponents. Not being able to convert 3rd and 1's by lining up and smashing it home really gets to me.

Atwater His Ass 11-15-2012 02:56 PM

The problem with DJ helping in coverage, is that well, he's not very good at it. For a guy with his quickness and athletic ability that was one time projected as a S in the NFL, you'd think he could shut down TE's. But he can't.

Biggest issue for me with this team currently is the running game. We've been completely shut down the last 2 weeks against inferior opponents. Not being able to convert 3rd and 1's by lining up and smashing it home really gets to me.

SonOfLe-loLang 11-15-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass (Post 3727221)

i guarnatee you if we spread the field on third and one and ran it we'd have more success than trying to play smashmouth. I dont know why we continue to bunch the formation and show our hand.

baja 11-15-2012 03:02 PM

If we are talking about concerns, mine would some key injury but I didn't say that

Chris 11-15-2012 03:03 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned that we need to start better on O. It always takes a few series for the O to get in gear. I'd love to see us move the ball from the get go Shanahan style. Remember how good we were to start games in the SB era? That. It changes the dynamic of the game early and reduces the chances of any **** ups making us lose to teams we should beat.

Atwater His Ass 11-15-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 3727226)
i guarnatee you if we spread the field on third and one and ran it we'd have more success than trying to play smashmouth. I dont know why we continue to bunch the formation and show our hand.

Doesn't really matter to me. A team, wether showing their hand or not, should by far and large be able to lineup and smash out a 3rd and short.

I don't mind trying somethign different, obviously, but the fact is we shouldn't have to.

maher_tyler 11-15-2012 06:09 PM

McGahee fumbling problem. Below average run game. Slow starts. Not being able to deliver the knockout punch. We gave Carolina every chance to get back into the game last week. If we can cut the turnovers, get more production from Hillman in the run game and get some points early in games I don't see us losing many if any more games this year.

Bronco Boy 11-15-2012 06:54 PM

We have a top 5 offense, and the #2 pass offense in the league. We don't need to worry about the run game.

baja 11-15-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronco Boy (Post 3727368)
We have a top 5 offense, and the #2 pass offense in the league. We don't need to worry about the run game.

Oh yes we do.

Bronco Boy 11-15-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3727371)
Oh yes we do.

The 2011 Giants disagree.

baja 11-15-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronco Boy (Post 3727388)
The 2011 Giants disagree.

Ask Peyton Manning if he needs a running game.

NFLBRONCO 11-15-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronco Boy (Post 3727368)

If we don't get it going teams will start hitting Manning alot more something we don't want with older QB. Less reps on his arm too.