The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   DJ's return (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108634)

JCMElway 11-12-2012 03:41 PM

DJ's return

Where to put him? Joe mays is out for the year (I know you're all heart-broken), so we can definitely use him. It would seem that we have the most need at MLB. Woodyard and Von are playing at such a high level, he won't push them aside.

Brooking is currently starting at Mike and being backed up by Steven Johnson. DJ probably will not be quite so quick on the draw as he has been, so MLB would seem to fit his skill set best at this point. The question is, does DJ return to the starting lineup for the majority of snaps? Or does he see spot duty in certain situations?

What is DJ's role going forward?

Discuss.

Paladin 11-12-2012 03:44 PM

I predict spot duty for a couple of weeks, at least. Others are playing well right now.. Who gets cut on the 53 to bring him on?

JCMElway 11-12-2012 03:46 PM

Caleb Hanie!!

Atwater His Ass 11-12-2012 03:47 PM

Make him earn a starting spot back. The D is in a good place right now, it would upset the chemistry and morale to just hand a guy coming of a 9 week suspension a starting role without earning it.

DJ can have an immediate impact playing special teams and rotation duty on the D, cover guy in a nickel situation.

bowtown 11-12-2012 03:48 PM

In b4 lonelystar takes a dump.

JCMElway 11-12-2012 03:48 PM

Or we could cut Andre Caldwell. Waste of space so far....

11-12-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCMElway (Post 3724621)
Or we could cut Andre Caldwell. Waste of space so far....

Yeah, it would be a great idea to cut WR depth...

11-12-2012 04:01 PM

If they aren't going to use Knowshoe drop that boy.

Lestat 11-12-2012 04:02 PM

i don't know that i want him anywhere near MLB. he can't make calls.
he struggled badly with that last time he was the MLB.
he needs to be the WLB. as much as i love Woodyard and his play DJ is our best LB, Von is a beast but not a true full on LB yet.

LongDongJohnson 11-12-2012 04:09 PM

I say put him at solb and bench miller.

DJ played solb a few years back in the day. He knows the position well.

IHaveALight 11-12-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 3724633)
he needs to be the WLB. as much as i love Woodyard and his play DJ is our best LB, Von is a beast but not a true full on LB yet.

Seriously? Show me when DJ had a better season than Woody is having right now.

razorwire77 11-12-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass (Post 3724618)
Make him earn a starting spot back. The D is in a good place right now, it would upset the chemistry and morale to just hand a guy coming of a 9 week suspension a starting role without earning it.

DJ can have an immediate impact playing special teams and rotation duty on the D, cover guy in a nickel situation.

This. Make the guy earn it. Have him play special teams, put him in certain blitz packages, but this defense is in a good place. Don't **** it up.

DBroncos4life 11-12-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveALight (Post 3724645)
Seriously? Show me when DJ had a better season than Woody is having right now.

Show us when DJ played on a D this good before? WW should still start and play a ton but lets not act like we have had a D this good in years with a DC that knows a thing or two about LBs. WW has his limitations as well. Two weeks ago he was getting beat pretty bad against the Bengals with RBs out of the backfield. I think they can both work on the field together in packages.

KipCorrington25 11-12-2012 04:25 PM

Make him earn his stripes on special teams.

DenverBroncosJM 11-12-2012 04:36 PM

run more 3-4 and have him as the other middle LB. I am sure there is a technical term besides other MLB, I just choose not to look it up and try and appear like I know what I am talking about

ludo21 11-12-2012 04:43 PM

The whole LB corp is subbing like crazy other than Von Miller. Just throw him in the mix and then let him play full time in a couple of weeks if he is looking ready.

Glad he is back!!

11-12-2012 04:47 PM

Gotta make him earn it. Too much positive chemistry on the D right now.

IHaveALight 11-12-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBroncos4life (Post 3724651)
Show us when DJ played on a D this good before? WW should still start and play a ton but lets not act like we have had a D this good in years with a DC that knows a thing or two about LBs. WW has his limitations as well. Two weeks ago he was getting beat pretty bad against the Bengals with RBs out of the backfield. I think they can both work on the field together in packages.

I guess this explains why Woody was more productive than DJ last year too...

I don't get it, DJ has always been an above average player, nothing more, but yet people around here still think he's a good to great player. And I just have to shake my head at people who say he's the best overall linebacker on our team. Von is better than DJ in all three linebacker fazes. Rushing the passer, stopping the run and even in pass coverage. And he's far better at causing turnovers. It's not even close who the best linebacker on the team is.

IHaveALight 11-12-2012 05:07 PM

And if I recall correctly our D was better when DJ was hurt last year and Woody was filling in.

cmhargrove 11-12-2012 05:15 PM

I will be amazed if Brooking can stay healthy the rest of the season. A guy his age usually hits the wall sooner or later. Bring DJ into the rotation and get him ready to help with the playoff run.

Also, just as a point of order. Our new coaching staff has everyone playing better (including Woodyard, Miller, Tevathan, etc.). I have no reason to believe that they willl fail with DJ. He might be about to receive the best coaching, and be part of the best system of his career. I expect him to look really good when he returns.

DBroncos4life 11-12-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveALight (Post 3724701)
I guess this explains why Woody was more productive than DJ last year too...

I don't get it, DJ has always been an above average player, nothing more, but yet people around here still think he's a good to great player. And I just have to shake my head at people who say he's the best overall linebacker on our team. Von is better than DJ in all three linebacker fazes. Rushing the passer, stopping the run and even in pass coverage. And he's far better at causing turnovers. It's not even close who the best linebacker on the team is.

More productive? DJ had more sacks and same amount of FF. DJ does things WW doesn't just like WW does things better then DJ. It's not that hard to understand.

If DJ is an above average LB so is WW which is perfectly OK with me. As for the rest of that crap you posted not a single person thinks DJ is better then Miller. Why you even typed that I have no clue.

BroncoMan4ever 11-12-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 3724633)

Woodyard is playing at a higher level than DJ has in recent seasons. DJ is not taking back that spot. When he retirns he needs to get used to situational work and working on taking over the MLB

gyldenlove 11-12-2012 05:27 PM

That is easy, have him run in sub packages and spot duty and see if he can take over from Keith the old guy down the road.

broncosteven 11-12-2012 05:35 PM

I would see what he does in practice at MLB. He is more athletic than Brooking is. I know Trevathan has been getting reps, I wouldn't mess with the rotation other than take snaps from Brooking.

Lestat 11-12-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever (Post 3724718)
Woodyard is playing at a higher level than DJ has in recent seasons. DJ is not taking back that spot. When he retirns he needs to get used to situational work and working on taking over the MLB

i don't see him being the MLB unless the defense is so different that the calls are simplified and he won't struggle with him.
he's not gonna take the SLB job from Von, he's not a MLB and he's always been best at WLB.

i love what Woodyard is doing but i don't see him holding off DJ for very long.