The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Was Prater's 43-yd FG miss blown by official? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108601)

Bronc62 11-11-2012 02:39 PM

Was Prater's 43-yd FG miss blown by official?

This may have been discussed earlier, but re-watching the game on DVR I slo-mo'd Prater's FG miss late in the 2nd qtr. from the replay endzone view. That ball goes DIRECTLY over the top of the upright. What's the rule on that? Does all or most of the ball have to be inside the upright?

gyldenlove 11-11-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronc62 (Post 3723407)
This may have been discussed earlier, but re-watching the game on DVR I slo-mo'd Prater's FG miss late in the 2nd qtr. from the replay endzone view. That ball goes DIRECTLY over the top of the upright. What's the rule on that? Does all or most of the ball have to be inside the upright?

If any part of the ball is outside the outside edge of the upright it is no good, the entire ball must pass over the parallel bar or upright.

Wes Mantooth 11-11-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gyldenlove (Post 3723438)
If any part of the ball is outside the outside edge of the upright it is no good, the entire ball must pass over the parallel bar or upright.

I did not know that. Dumb rule. Should be that it breaks the plane just as with a TD.

TheChamp247 11-11-2012 03:04 PM

I remember a thread on here awhile ago. I think the main consensus that they should just use giant lasers as the uprights

Bronc62 11-11-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gyldenlove (Post 3723438)

Thanks; so the no-good call was correct. Maybe an inch or two of the ball was outside the outside edge of the upright looking at the still frame.

11-11-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronc62 (Post 3723407)

I have suggested the need for taller goal posts.... or laser beams. Its the friggen NFL with billions of dollars. No need to have any shred of doubt on whether FG's are good or not.

11-11-2012 03:13 PM

I also once suggested having a camera suspended from a cable draped across the stadium looking down directly on top of the upright. Or a small camera pinned to the backside of the upright looking straight up. Need 4 of these cameras, one on each upright.

DivineLegion 11-11-2012 03:25 PM

Sharks with freaking laser beams on their heads!

Crushisback 11-11-2012 03:35 PM

Just make the friggin goalposts taller. It's not that hard. What they have now is like not having some of the endzone stripe painted. Dumb.

BroncoLifer 11-11-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivineLegion (Post 3723492)
Sharks with freaking laser beams on their heads!

Somebody throw me a frickin' bone here!

errand 11-11-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vine (Post 3723473)
I have suggested the need for taller goal posts.... or laser beams. Its the friggen NFL with billions of dollars. No need to have any shred of doubt on whether FG's are good or not.

Yeah, but when the NFL is funding the current and former player's pensions and the refs pensions, they probably felt that laser beam goal posts are something that can wait.....;D

LRtagger 11-11-2012 04:09 PM

I always thought they should put a transmitter in the balls and put sensors along the goalines and goalposts. Ball crosses the plane and the sensor is triggered.

ZONA 11-11-2012 06:20 PM

That was odd how that kick moved so much to the side. Looking at the ball, it was nearly vertical as it was going end over end. Almost like a gust of wind hit it or something. Usually when a ball moves one way or the other you can see some sideways lean in the ball. I think that one shocked Prater.

baja 11-11-2012 06:31 PM

Why not but laser lights on top of the GPs continuing the vertical line upward and if the football gets lit up on any part of the ball it's good.