The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   NFL Still Bans Denver Broncos From Marijuana Use Even When Itís Legal; Right Or Wrong? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108563)

DAN_BRONCO_FAN 11-09-2012 11:16 AM

NFL Still Bans Denver Broncos From Marijuana Use Even When Itís Legal; Right Or Wrong?
 
The states of Colorado and Washington have voted to make recreational marijuana legal to 21-year-old residents as long as they only posses one ounce at a time. However, the NFL has told its players that live in these states they are not allowed to use marijuana despite the new laws. Is it right or wrong for the NFL to still make it a banned substance when it is legal in some playersí home states?

What does this mean for Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks players?

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has made it clear that these states legalizing marijuana will not change anything with the way the league handles drug testing and suspensions. Marijuana has always been on the NFLís substance abuse list and if tested positive for marijuana, a player faces up to a four-game suspension. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello says thatís not about the change


Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/1...qbymkJcG7JO.99

DAN_BRONCO_FAN 11-09-2012 11:17 AM

darn shame manning cant light a doobie up after a win

STBumpkin 11-09-2012 11:18 AM

Military members in WA and CO cannot use it either. I agree with this, organizations should be able to make their own rules on this. I think something along the lines of our 12 hour bottle-to-brief rule should apply.

RhymesayersDU 11-09-2012 11:19 AM

Organizations can make rules as they see fit, IMO.

Smiling Assassin27 11-09-2012 11:19 AM

what a pity. could've been a HUGE FA recruiting tool.

sgbfan 11-09-2012 11:19 AM

I agree with it. Its an unfair competitive advantage. Think of the FA signings we could get!

Man-Goblin 11-09-2012 11:19 AM

No fun league.

Al Wilson 11-09-2012 11:22 AM

NFL is its own league, and every player that is in the league has to follow its rules. Simple as it is.

socalorado 11-09-2012 11:25 AM

What about employers hiring in these states?
Do they have the same standards that the military and Soprts organizations have?

Beantown Bronco 11-09-2012 11:26 AM

Nothing they can do now. They allowed it to be included in the CBA last year.

If the players really want it, then they can deal with it the next time the CBA comes up for renewal. Maybe by then, more states will jump on board and it might make more sense to negotiate that point.

BroncoLifer 11-09-2012 11:27 AM

It's not just the NFL -- the USA still bans marijuana. Generally speaking, the Feds are not impressed by state laws that conflict with federal.

Bigdawg26 11-09-2012 11:27 AM

You can't smoke (which is legal now), but you can get wasted before and after every game!

Beantown Bronco 11-09-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalorado (Post 3721140)
What about employers hiring in these states?
Do they have the same standards that the military and Soprts organizations have?

They need to check their employment contracts, collective bargaining agreements, etc. Everyone in the private sector is different.

elsid13 11-09-2012 11:27 AM

It remains a federal crime.

DBroncos4life 11-09-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgbfan (Post 3721136)
I agree with it. Its an unfair competitive advantage. Think of the FA signings we could get!

How is it any different then the states that have no state sales taxes or other tax laws that favor the rich?

Garcia Bronco 11-09-2012 11:32 AM

It's up to the NFL regardless of the Colorado Constitutional Law. The Feds have no jurisdiction over this provided it stays in the state.

uplink 11-09-2012 11:33 AM

It is not performance enhancing. They shouldn't be able to ban players from using it in states where is legal. It now has the same status as alcohol these states, a legal drug. Its like the NFL banning alcohol use for its players.

BroncoLifer 11-09-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 3721151)
It's up to the NFL regardless of the Colorado Constitutional Law. The Feds have no jurisdiction over this provided it stays in the state.

You don't think the NFL is engaged in interstate commerce?

11-09-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAN_BRONCO_FAN (Post 3721129)
The states of Colorado and Washington have voted to make recreational marijuana legal to 21-year-old residents as long as they only posses one ounce at a time. However, the NFL has told its players that live in these states they are not allowed to use marijuana despite the new laws. Is it right or wrong for the NFL to still make it a banned substance when it is legal in some playersí home states?

What does this mean for Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks players?

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has made it clear that these states legalizing marijuana will not change anything with the way the league handles drug testing and suspensions. Marijuana has always been on the NFLís substance abuse list and if tested positive for marijuana, a player faces up to a four-game suspension. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello says thatís not about the change


Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/1...qbymkJcG7JO.99

Well that's OK in fairness, substances banned by a sporting organisation arent necessarily illegal after all so the NFL is entitled to not allow it.

Garcia Bronco 11-09-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoLifer (Post 3721142)
It's not just the NFL -- the USA still bans marijuana. Generally speaking, the Feds are not impressed by state laws that conflict with federal.

That's now up for legal debate. The President won't touch it though in any significant way IMO. It's now a big source of revenue in our state.

socalorado 11-09-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco (Post 3721145)
They need to check their employment contracts, collective bargaining agreements, etc. Everyone in the private sector is different.

So Police, Fire, Nurses, Dr.s can be stoned on the job if its part of their union or employment contracts?
Just asking. I really dont know.

Garcia Bronco 11-09-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoLifer (Post 3721154)
You don't think the NFL is engaged in interstate commerce?

They are, but I was commenting on two issues. The second being the Federal Government's right to regulate a commodity in Colorado or any state.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN 11-09-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsid13 (Post 3721146)
It remains a federal crime.

heres a good question


WHY?
how is marijuana more dangerous than alcohol mho it should have the same laws as drinking alcohol ie no driving while intoxicated

BroncoLifer 11-09-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 3721156)
That's now up for legal debate. The President won't touch it though in any significant way IMO. It's now a big source of revenue in our state.

There is no "legal debate". There may be a "should we actually enforce the laws?" debate, but that's a different thing.

Beantown Bronco 11-09-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalorado (Post 3721157)
So Police, Fire, Nurses, Dr.s can be stoned on the job if its part of their union or employment contracts?
Just asking. I really dont know.

Technically, yes, but it would NEVER be written in to a union contract for those types of workers that doing so was acceptable. One thing those folks will always have to concede as point #1 in their negotiation of those contracts are related to consequences of finding any trace of drugs (legal or not), alcohol, etc. in their blood while on the job.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.