The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Why keep the Know, if we NO see? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108495)

11-06-2012 10:02 AM

Why keep the Know, if we NO see?
 
Was wondering if someone could help me tap into what Elway was thinking? Moreno is counting about 2M towards the cap this season and I understand once a guy makes the week 1 roster his contract is guaranteed.

The question is, why did he make the roster? He's been around long enough for the coaches to get a sense of weather he can play or not! And if you're gonna keep him at least give him a shot. And no, 8 carries does not constitute a shot. Is he hurt? Is that why he's not dressing?

I find it frustrating that the RB depth on this team is so weak at this point. What's the plan, seriously, if Willis goes down or breaks down?

socalorado 11-06-2012 10:06 AM

1 McGahee
2 Hillman
3 Ball
4 Slowshon

Theres the plan.
DEN is at the midway point.
So far, so good.

Beantown Bronco 11-06-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fwf (Post 3718563)
Was wondering if someone could help me tap into what Elway was thinking? Moreno is counting about 2M towards the cap this season and I understand once a guy makes the week 1 roster his contract is guaranteed.

The question is, why did he make the roster? He's been around long enough for the coaches to get a sense of weather he can play or not! And if you're gonna keep him at least give him a shot. And no, 8 carries does not constitute a shot. Is he hurt? Is that why he's not dressing?

I find it frustrating that the RB depth on this team is so weak at this point. What's the plan, seriously, if Willis goes down or breaks down?

Ummmm, you answered your own question. Moreno is literally still here just in case Willis goes down.

11-06-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco (Post 3718568)
Ummmm, you answered your own question. Moreno is literally still here just in case Willis goes down.


The question was why keep him at 2M, then not play him? They should know by now if he can play. They should have brought in someone else and given him a shot. Then maybe we wouldnt be relying so heavily on a 21 yr old.

crush17 11-06-2012 10:12 AM

Stop starting threads troll.

Beantown Bronco 11-06-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fwf (Post 3718570)
The question was why keep him at 2M, then not play him? They should know by now if he can play. They should have brought someone else and given them a shot. Then maybe we wouldnt be relying so heavily on a 21 yr old.

Your question is wrong.

He's only making $855K this year. I have no idea where you're getting this $2 mil figure.

8/7/2009: Signed a five-year, $16.7 million contract. The deal contains $13.125 million guaranteed, including a second-year roster bonus of $3.775 million. Another $6.3 million is available through incentives. The Broncos can exercise an option year in 2014 by paying Moreno $5.08 million. 2012: $855,000, 2013: $1.7 million, 2014: Club Option, 2015: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...nowshon-moreno

cmhargrove 11-06-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fwf (Post 3718570)
The question was why keep him at 2M, then not play him? They should know by now if he can play. They should have brought in someone else and given him a shot. Then maybe we wouldnt be relying so heavily on a 21 yr old.

You understand the difference between the "team" and the "active roster," yes?

bfoflcommish 11-06-2012 10:14 AM

You could always just ask your source!!

11-06-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco (Post 3718574)
Your question is wrong.

He's only making $855K this year. I have no idea where you're getting this $2 mil figure.

8/7/2009: Signed a five-year, $16.7 million contract. The deal contains $13.125 million guaranteed, including a second-year roster bonus of $3.775 million. Another $6.3 million is available through incentives. The Broncos can exercise an option year in 2014 by paying Moreno $5.08 million. 2012: $855,000, 2013: $1.7 million, 2014: Club Option, 2015: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...nowshon-moreno

His actual cap figure is closer to 2M

Actually 2.6M
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap-hit/

Beantown Bronco 11-06-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fwf (Post 3718570)
Then maybe we wouldnt be relying so heavily on a 21 yr old.

If 5 rushes a game is too much for him, then he's probably in the wrong line of business.

Beantown Bronco 11-06-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fwf (Post 3718577)
His actual cap figure is closer to 2M

Which would've been the same or more if we cut him in the preseason. Your entire premise is wrong.

yerner 11-06-2012 10:19 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Mcgahee goes down that the job would be split with Moreno and Hillman. I'm not sure they're as negative about Moreno as most people are on here. They just don't need him right now and will continue to let him get his knee healthy.. Obviously, he won't be here long term but I think they see him as a nice insurance policy this year.

11-06-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco (Post 3718578)
If 5 rushes a game is too much for him, then he's probably in the wrong line of business.

You're right homie. There's no need to worry about our fumbling, 31 yr old back breaking down.

bronco militia 11-06-2012 10:21 AM

Knowsho doesn't play special teams....they may as well keep him around incase the injury bug hits.

Smilin Assassin 11-06-2012 10:22 AM

I'm sure he's running w/the scout team, which could be invaluable to us down the line.

Say, for instance, we would face a team that's primary ball carrier had no vision and was prone to fumble at the slightest touch.

No other back in the league could give us a better look at that.

Crushaholic 11-06-2012 10:24 AM

Good grief. Dumervil is a bigger cap hit, than Manning...ROFL!

Beantown Bronco 11-06-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fwf (Post 3718582)
You're right homie. There's no need to worry about our fumbling, 31 yr old back breaking down.

I said no such thing.

Nobody here was more on board with going after MJD, then Deangelo Williams, than me......for that very reason.

But we have who we have. And Moreno was dirt cheap. All his bonuses were paid and all we had to do was guaranty his league minimum salary this season. He's a decent enough emergency backup and can come in for 10+ carries if needed. There will be no serious "heavy leaning" on Hillman if there's an injury. He'd split carries like he is now, granted the number would go up. But it's not like they'd be giving him 30 carries a game. It's not necessary with this offense.

BroncoMan4ever 11-06-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fwf (Post 3718563)
Was wondering if someone could help me tap into what Elway was thinking? Moreno is counting about 2M towards the cap this season and I understand once a guy makes the week 1 roster his contract is guaranteed.

The question is, why did he make the roster? He's been around long enough for the coaches to get a sense of weather he can play or not! And if you're gonna keep him at least give him a shot. And no, 8 carries does not constitute a shot. Is he hurt? Is that why he's not dressing?

I find it frustrating that the RB depth on this team is so weak at this point. What's the plan, seriously, if Willis goes down or breaks down?

There isn't a lot of depth at the position. Had Fannin not gotten injured, Moreno might have been let go. Plus he looked as if he could be a good 3rd down back. Add in he knew protections in the passing game better than Hillman early in the season. Plus if you have already guaranteed his salary, why dump him since he is adequate insurance should McGahee, Hillman or Ball get injured

Beantown Bronco 11-06-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin (Post 3718585)
I'm sure he's running w/the scout team, which could be invaluable to us down the line.

Say, for instance, we would face a team that's primary ball carrier had no vision and was prone to fumble at the slightest touch.

No other back in the league could give us a better look at that.

I know it's fun to pile on the guy, but let's not go crazy here. He fumbles once every 61 touches. That's better than quite a few top backs.

At the slightest touch? I don't think so.

11-06-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco (Post 3718590)
I said no such thing.

Nobody here was more on board with going after MJD, then Deangelo Williams, than me......for that very reason.

But we have who we have. And Moreno was dirt cheap. All his bonuses were paid and all we had to do was guaranty his league minimum salary this season. He's a decent enough emergency backup and can come in for 10+ carries if needed. There will be no serious "heavy leaning" on Hillman if there's an injury. He'd split carries like he is now, granted the number would go up. But it's not like they'd be giving him 30 carries a game. It's not necessary with this offense.

I think something else may have happened behind the scenes this season. Although the ST aspect is probably correct. I just dont understand why you keep the guy? There are so many talented undrafted backs out there who are hungry and have a chip on their shoulder. Give one of those guys a shot. I think it was a bad call by Elway to keep him around.

Beantown Bronco 11-06-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fwf (Post 3718594)
I think something else may have happened behind the scenes this season. Although the ST aspect is probably correct. I just dont understand why you keep the guy? There are so many talented undrafted backs out there who are hungry and have a chip on their shoulder. Give one of those guys a shot. I think it was a bad call by Elway to keep him around.

He was running just as good as McGahee last year before he got hurt and was under contract for the league minimum. He was easily our 2nd best back on the roster at cut time. If you cut or trade him, you have to eat about $3 mil on the cap and then have to replace him with an unknown.

I'll hear an argument for cutting Ball in the preseason and doing what you suggest. But Moreno? He still had value to us IMO.

bowtown 11-06-2012 10:40 AM

Does anyone know why we keep backups at any position on the roster, I mean we know they aren't good enough to start, why just keep them hanging around? Time to cut the dead weight and bring in some really quality players that are just hanging out on their couches and don't know our system at all. Get this done, John! Start scouring Subway restaurants everywhere!

broncosteven 11-06-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfoflcommish (Post 3718576)
You could always just ask your source!!

LOL

11-06-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtown (Post 3718599)
Does anyone know why we keep backups at any position on the roster, I mean we know they aren't good enough to start, why just keep them hanging around? Time to cut the dead weight and bring in some really quality players that are just hanging out on their couches and don't know our system at all. Get this done, John! Start scouring Subway restaurants everywhere!

Then why dont we bring in Vinny Testaverde to be our backup QB.

The goal should be to bring in guys that can A) step up if the starter goes down and B) someone that has the potential to grow into a legit starter.

Moreno got his shot and blew. Next man up.

Smilin Assassin 11-06-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco (Post 3718592)
I know it's fun to pile on the guy, but let's not go crazy here. He fumbles once every 61 touches. That's better than quite a few top backs.

At the slightest touch? I don't think so.


Ok, I wasn't being literal.

But, just from watching him? If the opposing team rips or punches at the ball, there is a VERY good chance it's coming free.

Once every 61 touches is not a good ratio to begin with, and misleading. If he's not making it out of the backfield, running out of bounds, or simply going down on first contact, he's probably not going to cough it up.

But, as I said, if they want the ball? I'm sure they like they're odds when it's in his hands.

I had high hopes for Moreno when he was drafted. Watched him play a lot of games @Ga and thought he would fit well in the NFL as a primary back.

4 years later, I'm willing to admit I was wrong and that he's probably never going to be anything more than a 3rd down receiving back.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.