The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hypocrisy in playing the Giants game in NJ? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108450)

11-04-2012 09:35 AM

Hypocrisy in playing the Giants game in NJ?
 
When Katrina happened, the Saints were forced to lose a home game by playing at the Giants. This gave the Giants an extra home game that season.

Now here we are several years later and the shoe is on the other foot, Except, the Giants are not going to lose their home game, forcing the Pittsburgh Steelers to fly to NY the day of the game.

Also, Mayor Bloomberg had been taking a beating for going forward with the marathon. Meanwhile, New Jersey had it much worse where the storm is concerned, and the reaction to having a football game in NJ, isn't nearly as volatile as it was for having a marathon in NYC. And many of the people involved with running marathons are volunteers.

Anyone else see the hypocricy here?

Ironlung 11-04-2012 09:45 AM

The Giants are the nfl, and media darlings. They wouldn't dream of taking a home game away from them.

11-04-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en (Post 3715884)
When Katrina happened, the Saints were forced to lose a home game by playing at the Giants. This gave the Giants an extra home game that season.

Now here we are several years later and the shoe is on the other foot, Except, the Giants are not going to lose their home game, forcing the Pittsburgh Steelers to fly to NY the day of the game.

Also, Mayor Bloomberg had been taking a beating for going forward with the marathon. Meanwhile, New Jersey had it much worse where the storm is concerned, and the reaction to having a football game in NJ, isn't nearly as volatile as it was for having a marathon in NYC. And many of the people involved with running marathons are volunteers.

Anyone else see the hypocricy here?

Really? Idiot much??


You realize there were homeless people living in the Superdome at the time of the game. Plus the Superdome's dome wasn't so super at that time.

11-04-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus (Post 3715899)
Really? Idiot much??


You realize there were homeless people living in the Superdome at the time of the game. Plus the Superdome's dome wasn't so super at that time.

You shouldnt repeat every word you hear in the sandbox.

That accounts for why the game wasnt played at a neutral venue, how?

Oy vay. I had a feeling someone would see the first paragraph and make a stupid response. The only question was how long it would take. Well done, bacchus.

11-04-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en (Post 3715884)
When Katrina happened, the Saints were forced to lose a home game by playing at the Giants. This gave the Giants an extra home game that season.

Now here we are several years later and the shoe is on the other foot, Except, the Giants are not going to lose their home game, forcing the Pittsburgh Steelers to fly to NY the day of the game.

Also, Mayor Bloomberg had been taking a beating for going forward with the marathon. Meanwhile, New Jersey had it much worse where the storm is concerned, and the reaction to having a football game in NJ, isn't nearly as volatile as it was for having a marathon in NYC. And many of the people involved with running marathons are volunteers.

Anyone else see the hypocricy here?

The Superdome was housing evacuees and was leaking. It's not quite the same circumstances

RedskinBronco 11-04-2012 11:27 AM

Mara is BFF with Goodell. Giants get whatever they want, including bull **** salary cap penalties on the cowboys/skins.

**** Mara, Goodell and their hypocrisy.

RhymesayersDU 11-04-2012 11:31 AM

I agree with you guys, unicorns DO exist.







Oh, I thought we were just making random things up.

beardedwonder 11-04-2012 11:36 AM

Giant stadium is completely fine...
The coast is what got messed up. Giant stadium is pretty far inland even though its in a swamp

Plus what's been said about the absence of homeless people.

Plus its like. 3-4 hr drive from pitt to nj..


But yea the media loveees the giants because they deserve it.. (Like all superbowl winners do. Look at the packers and pitt)

11-04-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beardedwonder (Post 3716184)
Giant stadium is completely fine...
The coast is what got messed up. Giant stadium is pretty far inland even though its in a swamp

Plus what's been said about the absence of homeless people.

It's not diverting resources that could be used other places? That was one of the main arguments against the marathon even though a marathon uses a greater number of volunteers. And NYC wasn't even as bad as NJ.

And once again, saying the SuperDome was housing homeless people (although that should really be verified first), doesn't account for why the Giants got an extra home game as opposed to having the game at a neutral site.

beardedwonder 11-04-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en (Post 3716206)
It's not diverting resources that could be used other places? That was one of the main arguments against the marathon even though a marathon uses a greater number of volunteers. And NYC wasn't even as bad as NJ.

And once again, saying the SuperDome was housing homeless people (although that should really be verified first), doesn't account for why the Giants got an extra home game as opposed to having the game at a neutral site.

Wow... yes there were people living in the superdome when they lost their home a few weeks after katrina. The fact ur disputing this really makes me feel like you just wanted to whine.

The non coastal area didnt have that much damage besides trees and powerlines down.
The coast has a 10' storm surge which affected part of thr Marathon route.

Meck77 11-04-2012 11:52 AM

You can never please all the people all the time....

11-04-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beardedwonder (Post 3716255)
Wow... yes there were people living in the superdome when they lost their home a few weeks after katrina. The fact ur disputing this really makes me feel like you just wanted to whine.

Im not really disputing it but Im not really sure it's accurate. The Saints did play some home games that year.

Also, Im still waiting on how why the Giants got an extra home game as opposed to playing that game on a neutral field. Feel free to answer that any time. Even if your premise that people were living in the SuperDome is correct, you still haven't addressed this.

Quote:

The non coastal area didnt have that much damage besides trees and powerlines down.
The coast has a 10' storm surge which affected part of thr Marathon route.
Bloomberg thought it could be done without diverting resources. Obviously, what you mentioned was not the issue. Bloomberg caved to all the complaining--complaining that didn't exist for the NFL game.

rbackfactory80 11-04-2012 12:02 PM

Yes but only because they claim they are the NY Giants.

chickennob2 11-04-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en (Post 3716206)
It's not diverting resources that could be used other places? That was one of the main arguments against the marathon even though a marathon uses a greater number of volunteers. And NYC wasn't even as bad as NJ.

And once again, saying the SuperDome was housing homeless people (although that should really be verified first), doesn't account for why the Giants got an extra home game as opposed to having the game at a neutral site.

Here's the NFL's thought process:

1. Can we hold the game at the original stadium?
2. We can't? Where can we logistically hold and sell tickets to a game with such short notice?

With Katrina, the answer to 1. was no, and the only realistic answer to 2. was Giants Stadium. With Sandy, the answer to 1. was yes, so they stopped there.

It's not about competitive advantage, it's about logistics.

RhymesayersDU 11-04-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickennob2 (Post 3716597)
Here's the NFL's thought process:

1. Can we hold the game at the original stadium?
2. We can't? Where can we logistically hold and sell tickets to a game with such short notice?

With Katrina, the answer to 1. was no, and the only realistic answer to 2. was Giants Stadium. With Sandy, the answer to 1. was yes, so they stopped there.

It's not about competitive advantage, it's about logistics.

Nah bro, it's just an East-coast bias.

/rolleyes

Beantown Bronco 11-04-2012 01:21 PM

orangese7ven

do yourself a favor and delete this thread

11-04-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco (Post 3716750)
orangese7ven

do yourself a favor and delete this thread

I will if you go find some cyanide. Ill just point out that you're the guy who like Moreno. :spit:

SonOfLe-loLang 11-04-2012 01:31 PM

Is this a serious thread?

SonOfLe-loLang 11-04-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en (Post 3716770)
I will if you go find some cyanide. Ill just point out that you're the guy who like Moreno. :spit:

BURN

11-04-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickennob2 (Post 3716597)
Here's the NFL's thought process:

1. Can we hold the game at the original stadium?
2. We can't? Where can we logistically hold and sell tickets to a game with such short notice?

With Katrina, the answer to 1. was no, and the only realistic answer to 2. was Giants Stadium. With Sandy, the answer to 1. was yes, so they stopped there.

It's not about competitive advantage, it's about logistics.

Of course, they'd sell more tickets if they have the game in NY than at a neutral venue. But, especially given that the vast majority of the leagues revenue comes from TV contracts, he's also obligated to ensure fair play. Giving a team a home game instead of a road game is hardly doing that.

11-04-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 3716773)
Is this a serious thread?

Do you seriously like Bill Simmons?

RhymesayersDU 11-04-2012 01:37 PM

The OrangeMane: where we debate topics from events that happened 7 years ago!

SonOfLe-loLang 11-04-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en (Post 3716785)
Do you seriously like Bill Simmons?

BURN AGAIN!

By the way, why is it poison to like Bill Simmons? He's an entertaining guy. I don't think he's some sort of expert, but I like his articles.

RhymesayersDU 11-04-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 3716798)
BURN AGAIN!

By the way, why is it poison to like Bill Simmons? He's an entertaining guy. I don't think he's some sort of expert, but I like his articles.

Because haven't you heard? Joe OrangeMane knows everything about football, and sports writers know nothing about football. The proof is right here in this very thread!

houghtam 11-04-2012 02:01 PM

DOOOOOOOOOOOOONT CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE















LOL @ Stupid thread


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.