The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Return of the big nickel (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108308)

gyldenlove 10-29-2012 08:07 AM

Return of the big nickel

I noticed we played a lot of big nickel defense last night with Leonhard playing FS, Moore playing SS and Mike Adams covering Graham.

I don't remember seeing that alignment before this season, and frankly I don't remember the Broncos doing it since we had Kenoy Kennedy.

10-29-2012 08:37 AM

Yeah and on the touchdown to Graham, Moore failed to step up when the play happened in front of him..

LRtagger 10-29-2012 08:42 AM

They played it against SD and I think against NE too

ScottXray 10-29-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmore Manning (Post 3710352)
Yeah and on the touchdown to Graham, Moore failed to step up when the play happened in front of him..

Trevathan had Sproles and totally whiffed ( got faked out of his socks) by his inside move, which gave him the free release. Moore then failed to tackle but the play was not Moores fault, so much as Trevathans. Sproles is hard to tackle in the open field, and I don't blame Moore for not making ONE play.

TheReverend 10-29-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gyldenlove (Post 3710319)
I noticed we played a lot of big nickel defense last night with Leonhard playing FS, Moore playing SS and Mike Adams covering Graham.

I don't remember seeing that alignment before this season, and frankly I don't remember the Broncos doing it since we had Kenoy Kennedy.

*Sam Brandon

The Joker 10-29-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottXray (Post 3710361)
Trevathan had Sproles and totally whiffed ( got faked out of his socks) by his inside move, which gave him the free release. Moore then failed to tackle but the play was not Moores fault, so much as Trevathans. Sproles is hard to tackle in the open field, and I don't blame Moore for not making ONE play.

He means the TD at the end of the game.

socalorado 10-29-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3710372)
*Sam Brandon

And Brandon played the Big Nickel well.
I actually think Moore would be better suited to playing the actual "BN" position with Adams playing centerfield FS.
However, obvioulsy the coaching staff doesnt believe that. So, whatever.

TheReverend 10-29-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalorado (Post 3710384)
And Brandon played the Big Nickel well.
I actually think Moore would be better suited to playing the actual "BN" position with Adams playing centerfield FS.
However, obvioulsy the coaching staff doesnt believe that. So, whatever.

I think Q Carter will be the best at it... when he gets healthy.

10-29-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schism (Post 3710373)

The one that should have never happened because the playclock expired and it should have been delay of game?

socalorado 10-29-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3710407)

Ooooh! Yeah, thats a solid observation. Carter is physical, and also solid in coverage. I like it.

TheReverend 10-29-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalorado (Post 3710423)
Ooooh! Yeah, thats a solid observation. Carter is physical, and also solid in coverage. I like it.

Well I've been calling that one since he got drafted and it has yet to consistently manifest itself (here and there last year), so let's not get too excited Ha!

ScottXray 10-29-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schism (Post 3710373)

My bad. Thought it was the other (non garbage time) TD.

gyldenlove 10-29-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRtagger (Post 3710354)
They played it against SD and I think against NE too

They did in the 1st half against SD that is correct, I forgot about that.

gyldenlove 10-29-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

*Sam Brandon

You are correct sir.

Kaylore 10-29-2012 09:53 AM

Carter had microfracture surgery, I think. That puts his career in doubt, unfortunately.

Ray Finkle 10-29-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3710459)
Carter had microfracture surgery, I think. That puts his career in doubt, unfortunately.

not as much as in the past. It's never a good sign though.

pricejj 10-29-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3710407)

Yeah, too bad for the microfracture, like Kahn said...Big Nickel would have been a good role for Carter.

Mediator12 10-29-2012 10:22 AM

Leonard has been outstanding at safety, its time to pull a joe mays and bench Adams. Leonard makes that big nickle defense work on the back end.

Also, they have run the big nickle against almost every team this year. Just not as much as they were able to last night because they were playing with the lead and NO was not trying to run the ball at all.

ZONA 10-29-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmore Manning (Post 3710352)

I saw that play. He was not sure on where to help, the outside deep route or on the inside route that went to Graham. Turns out, that if you don't make your mind up and do neither, that's just as bad as choosing wrong. This is EXACTLY what I said about Moore last week. I said his tackling is definitely getting better but he still hesitates on choices. He is not doing the best at reading where the QB wants to go. He has got to improve that or the good teams will eat him alive in the passing game.

TheReverend 10-29-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZONA (Post 3710621)
I saw that play. He was not sure on where to help, the outside deep route or on the inside route that went to Graham. Turns out, that if you don't make your mind up and do neither, that's just as bad as choosing wrong. This is EXACTLY what I said about Moore last week. I said his tackling is definitely getting better but he still hesitates on choices. He is not doing the best at reading where the QB wants to go. He has got to improve that or the good teams will eat him alive in the passing game.

It was the right play outside of the goalline.

He's growing. It's a cerebral position and the rest will come.

ZONA 10-29-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3710459)

Way too many people making comebacks after having that now days. The way they do the repair is much better and athletes are having near full recovery's. I still think it's a good idea to draft a safety next year. Maybe like 4th or 5th round.

ZONA 10-29-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3710628)
It was the right play outside of the goalline.

He's growing. It's a cerebral position and the rest will come.

What was the right play, to stay center field and give help on neither of the 2 routes? I don't agree. To a point you stay centerfield so you can give help to either side but the further the play goes along, you have to make a choice. Against the better QB's in this league, you can't simply react once the ball is thrown, by then you'll be too late. You have to try and have a feel for where the QB wants to go, favor that direction but not committing to it fully. If you guessed wrong, you won't be able to get to the other guy in time to stop the possible catch but you could assist with the tackle. By favoring your direction when the play is about 3/4 through, that gives you time to get to the potential WR in time to make a play on the ball. Especially since you're talking about a long pass play to the endzone. You CAN'T stay middle and never choose. Either of those receivers in that case would have had a 1 on 1 catch against the CB with no safety help. That CAN'T happen. But he is growing, I know, I said that also. But this is the area he needs the most improvement in. Which is odd, because I thought coming out of college his cover skills were better then his tackling skills.

Rock Chalk 10-29-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

*Sam Brandon

This.

Why does everyone forget about Sam Brandon? We owned tight ends when we had that guy.

One of the most under-rated broncos I can think of.

TheReverend 10-29-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZONA (Post 3710642)
What was the right play, to stay center field and give help on neither of the 2 routes? I don't agree. To a point you stay centerfield so you can give help to either side but the further the play goes along, you have to make a choice. Against the better QB's in this league, you can't simply react once the ball is thrown, by then you'll be too late. You have to try and have a feel for where the QB wants to go, favor that direction but not committing to it fully. If you guessed wrong, you won't be able to get to the other guy in time to stop the possible catch but you could assist with the tackle. By favoring your direction when the play is about 3/4 through, that gives you time to get to the potential WR in time to make a play on the ball. Especially since you're talking about a long pass play to the endzone. You CAN'T stay middle and never choose. Either of those receivers in that case would have had a 1 on 1 catch against the CB with no safety help. That CAN'T happen. But he is growing, I know, I said that also. But this is the area he needs the most improvement in. Which is odd, because I thought coming out of college his cover skills were better then his tackling skills.

Re-read what I said. Keywords "outside of the goal line".

OUTSIDE OF THE GOAL LINE the correct play is to do what he did. Don't commit until the QB does and make the stop to save 6.

And the bolded portion of your post is crazy wrong. It should say, "against the better QBs in the league you can't have BLOWN COVERAGE"

10-29-2012 12:40 PM

Who cares on the Graham TD. Game was over and it is easy for a team to lose concentration. I have no problem with mental errors up 27 pts with 4 minutes left and our backup QB in. I'll give a pass holding one of the top QB's in the league to zero big deep plays and 14 pts.