The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Terrible News (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108062)

Lycan 10-17-2012 05:04 AM

Terrible News

Despite losing his starting job, Broncos linebacker Joe Mays remains in the team's future plans.

Despite being replaced by veteran Keith Brooking in Monday Night's 35-24 win over the San Diego Chargers, head coach John Fox insists that he and the organization "haven't give up" on the 27-year-old from North Dakota State. Whether the move to Brooking as the starter is permanent remains to be seen, but the team appears confident that Mays will be part of their future, saying they will "evaluate him moving forward."

http://denver.sbnation.com/2012/10/1...-2012-john-fox

Thoughts? Here are mine:

http://i.imgur.com/WTh4L.gif

10-17-2012 05:12 AM

Part of the team as a backup, I hope.

go_broncos 10-17-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lycan (Post 3700566)
Despite losing his starting job, Broncos linebacker Joe Mays remains in the team's future plans.

Despite being replaced by veteran Keith Brooking in Monday Night's 35-24 win over the San Diego Chargers, head coach John Fox insists that he and the organization "haven't give up" on the 27-year-old from North Dakota State. Whether the move to Brooking as the starter is permanent remains to be seen, but the team appears confident that Mays will be part of their future, saying they will "evaluate him moving forward."

http://denver.sbnation.com/2012/10/1...-2012-john-fox

Thoughts? Here are mine:

http://i.imgur.com/WTh4L.gif

Good thing is they accepted the mistake and didn't start him.
They can evaluate him...but, he is not going to change.

TheReverend 10-17-2012 06:03 AM

He can be valuable situationally... we just need the appropriate depth to KEEP him where he's an asset and not a liability... like how Nolan handled Dawkins in 09.

(no, I'm not comparing Mays and Dawkins, calm down. I'm comparing situational impact)

fontaine 10-17-2012 06:03 AM

This is one of the reasons why I like John Fox's coaching style.

He's not blaming the guy publicly, he's not promising to start him or bench him permanently, he's just promising to continue to evaluate him.

In other words, "Show me you can play better Joe Mays!"

I'll take that any day over "We're just trying to win a m*******g game!!"

chrisp 10-17-2012 06:05 AM

Didn't they say something not-dissimilar about tebow shortly before they traded him?

Bottom line is you don't trash a player untill you have their replacement lined up - you may find you need them whether you like it or not. How many times has ANY team ever said "we're benching him becuase we think he sucks and he really has no future with the team"??

We did invest some dollars in the guy so we may be wanting to try to maintain trade value - not sure what the cap hit is if we cut him in the offseason. Plus I also think the Coaches really were enamoured of his brutal hitting and felt he would be an intimidating presence in the middle of the field. Its become clear however that this can't cover up his inadequacies.

he may have a future in goal-line packages and the like. He does have some value but probably not as a starter anywhere anymore...

2KBack 10-17-2012 06:11 AM

Of course he is still part of the plan....Mays has absolute value on the team, he is just limited in what he can do. He isn't a player worth hating, even if he is one you don't want starting.

Lycan 10-17-2012 06:29 AM

All I know is I never want to hear the words "Joe Mays in coverage" again.

maher_tyler 10-17-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisp (Post 3700576)
Didn't they say something not-dissimilar about tebow shortly before they traded him?

Bottom line is you don't trash a player untill you have their replacement lined up - you may find you need them whether you like it or not. How many times has ANY team ever said "we're benching him becuase we think he sucks and he really has no future with the team"??

We did invest some dollars in the guy so we may be wanting to try to maintain trade value - not sure what the cap hit is if we cut him in the offseason. Plus I also think the Coaches really were enamoured of his brutal hitting and felt he would be an intimidating presence in the middle of the field. Its become clear however that this can't cover up his inadequacies.

he may have a future in goal-line packages and the like. He does have some value but probably not as a starter anywhere anymore...

He should have never started in the first place. He was terrible last year yet we brought in zero. He is good in Special Teams and in a back up roll. Glad they finally realized he isn't as good as they thought he was.

10-17-2012 06:52 AM

He can be part of the teams plans as a ST player and a backup LB.

LRtagger 10-17-2012 07:23 AM

Probably should have evaluated how bad he sucked last year before giving him a huge extension

was just about to change my avatar too. Guess I need to leave it up.

Kaylore 10-17-2012 07:32 AM

Honestly he missed some special teams tackles. This reads like one of those cursed "votes of confidence" that end up showing the guy cut or fired a few weeks later. I'm not sayin Mays is getting cut, but "he's in our plans" and "will be evaluated going forward" doesn't mean he's going to play again anytime soon.

Dr. Broncenstein 10-17-2012 07:37 AM

Man I was worried that Moreno was going to be activated when I saw the headline. That had me going...

spdirty 10-17-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3700613)
Honestly he missed some special teams tackles. This reads like one of those cursed "votes of confidence" that end up showing the guy cut or fired a few weeks later. I'm not sayin Mays is getting cut, but "he's in our plans" and "will be evaluated going forward" doesn't mean he's going to play again anytime soon.

He really did miss ST tackles? Oh goodness, I only rewatched/enjoyed the 2nd half and never paid attention to Mays.

go_broncos 10-17-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 3700614)
Man I was worried that Moreno was going to be activated when I saw the headline. That had me going...

Moreno should play against chiefs.
he plays well against them.

Dr. Broncenstein 10-17-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_broncos (Post 3700623)
Moreno should play against chiefs.
he plays well against them.

I like your deadpan humor.

go_broncos 10-17-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 3700627)
I like your deadpan humor.

These are his stats against KC:

ATT Yards
------ ------
21 86
14 50
22 106
23 161
4 52 -- He was hurt and couldn't complete the game

bronco militia 10-17-2012 08:02 AM

I don't know what the big deal is. This is still the same Joe Mays that missed tackles in 2010 and 2011. Unfortunately, his replacement isn't on the Broncos roster.....yet.

10-17-2012 08:02 AM

One piece.. Great stuff, but the manga is better

Dr. Broncenstein 10-17-2012 08:09 AM

Joe Mays is like a scud missile. Designed to blow things up from a distance using a guidence system based upon random chance.

Broncos_OTM 10-17-2012 08:23 AM

there is no plan b

Smiling Assassin27 10-17-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 3700568)
Part of the team as a backup, I hope.

Can he return kicks?

WolfpackGuy 10-17-2012 08:43 AM

Coincidence the defense's two best performances came when he wasn't a part of it?

gunns 10-17-2012 08:45 AM

Don't EVER put terrible news as the subject headline. I thought someone was hurt. Blood pressure pill time.

razorwire77 10-17-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3700573)
He can be valuable situationally... we just need the appropriate depth to KEEP him where he's an asset and not a liability... like how Nolan handled Dawkins in 09.

(no, I'm not comparing Mays and Dawkins, calm down. I'm comparing situational impact)

Absolutely he remains valuable situationally. Good teams have situational players like Joe Mays on their teams. They just don't use them on the 45-yard-line as two or three down Mikes He's useful Firing the A gap on 4th and Goal, thumping people on special teams etc.