The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Do you agree with what Clay Mathews said? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=107753)

10-10-2012 06:48 PM

Do you agree with what Clay Mathews said?

He said that Goodell needs to start protecting defenders.

IMO I agree with every bit of Mathews plea. Eric Berry suffered an ACL tear from a low blindside block to his knee that wasn't really around the ball.

The same thing happened to Brian Cushing last night and his season is over. Seems like more and more injuries are happening this way.

If I was Goodell, I would banish the low hits. Blind side hits make the game fun, but I think it would be wise to make a rule that you have to hit a player above the knee and below the head.

Thoughts?

10-10-2012 06:54 PM

The NFL is pussified enough. I'm just glad I was a fan back when football was football.

baja 10-10-2012 06:54 PM

I think we would see less injuries if we took away all protective equipment except helmets.

~Crash~ 10-10-2012 06:56 PM

what about lifting weights ?

baja 10-10-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3693896)
The NFL is pussified enough. I'm just glad I was a fan back when football was football.

I think what is happening is athletes are getting bigger stronger and faster so the collisions are more violent.

gyldenlove 10-10-2012 06:57 PM

I agree the NFL needs to look at hits that have an excess risk of injury. They protect QBs knees, they should also protect defenders knees from blindside hits.

baja 10-10-2012 06:58 PM

What is the degree of injuries in rugby?

broncosteven 10-10-2012 07:01 PM

Nope, I don't think the play was dirty. You cannot legislate all injuries out of the game.

Freak plays are freak plays.

10-10-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3693896)

I agree. But I think blindside hits shouldn't be a players knees or head. Hit a player right in the numbers like a real football player.

I think it's classless to go after a players knee's on a blindside hit.

baja 10-10-2012 07:05 PM

Another thing is nutrition. Our bones are not as strong as years past because there is not the level of minerals in the food as there once was due to depleted soil. The USA has lost 70% of it's top soil and it will take millions of years to replace naturally what has been lost. Beyond the obvious loss of top soil is the issue of the remaining soil has been demineralized by mono crop planting. Modern agriculture is a ticking time bomb. Our farming practice are unsustainable. Todays youth will be the first generation that will have a lower life expectancy than their parents.

10-10-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3693906)
Nope, I don't think the play was dirty. You cannot legislate all injuries out of the game.

I think in Cushing's case the defender was clearly beaten to the play, but dived at his knee as a last ditch effort.

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.n...ed-10-8-12.gif

Captain 'Dre 10-10-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3693897)
I think we would see less injuries if we took away all protective equipment except helmets.

Actually, you'd see fewer injuries is the helmet was the only current protective wear that was taken away.

Players wouldn't be sticking their helmet-less heads into a lot of places that they currently do.

baja 10-10-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain 'Dre (Post 3693918)
Actually, you'd see fewer injuries is the helmet was the only current protective wear that was taken away.

Players wouldn't be sticking their helmet-less heads into a lot of places that they currently do.

I agree but you will never see that because of concussions.

Captain 'Dre 10-10-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3693906)

How is hitting somebody in the knees from behind a "freak play", when it's completely avoidable?

Captain 'Dre 10-10-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3693919)
I agree but you will never see that because of concussions.

And because of fashion, too! Ha!

cmhargrove 10-10-2012 08:21 PM

Unfortunately, Cushing plays on the wrong team to pull this card. Re-watch the Broncos-Texans game and see how man "low blocks" they laid on our defense.

Pot, meet mr. Kettle.

cmhargrove 10-10-2012 08:22 PM

Duplicate post - deleted

10-10-2012 08:52 PM

The same defensive players that complain about a cut block will also go low on a receiver or running back. I remember last year in the playoffs when Harrison went low on Decker and had a completely open look to blow him up cleanly. The defense can go low too and they take advantage of it

That One Guy 10-10-2012 08:52 PM

Why doesn't the NFLPA head this issue up? This is a matter of players doing to players. This shouldn't involve the NFL.

bronco militia 10-10-2012 08:54 PM

cut blocks have always been legal