The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mays has been in on 96% of defensive snaps (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=107732)

MagicHef 10-09-2012 08:21 AM

Mays has been in on 96% of defensive snaps

not counting his suspension. Only Adams (100%) and Moore (98%) have a higher percentage.

Bailey (95%), Dumervil (91%), Miller (89%) and Porter (83%) are all clearly more talented but play less often.

Woodyard, who I feel has approximately the same overall talent as Mays, plays 71% of the snaps.

Why is Mays so crucial to our defense?

baja 10-09-2012 08:24 AM

good question

DBroncos4life 10-09-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 3692802)
not counting his suspension. Only Adams (100%) and Moore (98%) have a higher percentage.

Bailey (95%), Dumervil (91%), Miller (89%) and Porter (83%) are all clearly more talented but play less often.

Woodyard, who I feel has approximately the same overall talent as Mays, plays 71% of the snaps.

Coaching staff must expect running plays a lot???

Crushaholic 10-09-2012 08:28 AM

As the middle linebacker, he's expected to be the quarterback of the defense...

WolfpackGuy 10-09-2012 08:29 AM

Billy Mays would be better, and he's freakin dead.

Taco John 10-09-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 3692802)

I think it has to do with the fact that his back-up is Steven Johnson, an undrafted rookie. Our linebacker depth is pretty shallow.

Mediator12 10-09-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushaholic (Post 3692806)

And he failed miserably doing that last week against NE. I mean epic fail adjusting to the the Patriots no huddle and then getting playcalls adjusted to formation. He personally killed the execution of any playcalling by being poor at making those adjustments on defense.

10-09-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 3692808)
I think it has to do with the fact that his back-up is Steven Johnson, an undrafted rookie. Our linebacker depth is pretty shallow.

That depth played pretty well when he was suspended.

bronco militia 10-09-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3692813)
That depth played pretty well when he was suspended.

we can't play the Raiders every week

Broncomutt 10-09-2012 08:37 AM

Since it is classless to hope for an injury, I am going to pray that Mays gets himself suspended again.

Maybe somebody could sprinkle some HGH in his mashed potatos.

10-09-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronco militia (Post 3692815)

Ya but McFadden is a good measuring stick and they stuffed him.

MagicHef 10-09-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 3692808)

Brooking took over the MLB spot, and Woodyard took over the nickel LB position against the Raiders. They seemed to do pretty well.

Taco John 10-09-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Beat me to it...

Taco John 10-09-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 3692820)
Brooking took over the MLB spot, and Woodyard took over the nickel LB position against the Raiders. They seemed to do pretty well.

Fair enough, but that's not where the coaches want Brooking taking his snaps. Brooking is officially listed behind Woodyard on the weak side, with Danny Trevathan behind him. Nate Irving is taking snaps behind Von Miller. Hard to know how this picture will change once Idiot Drunk Linebacker gets back from suspension, but for the time being, the coaches seem to think Mays should be taking the bulk of the snaps.

ludo21 10-09-2012 08:44 AM

wow, crazy stat.... I know Mays is the QB of the defense, but really we got to get him off the field on 3rd down, maybe even second down....

DJ getting suspension pushed back really sucks

MagicHef 10-09-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

The Raiders aren't world beaters, but they averaged over 20 ppg against SD, MIA, and PIT. Those aren't bad defenses.

10-09-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 3692824)
Fair enough, but that's not where the coaches want Brooking taking his snaps. Brooking is officially listed behind Woodyard on the weak side, with Danny Trevathan behind him. Nate Irving is taking snaps behind Von Miller. Hard to know how this picture will change once Idiot Drunk Linebacker gets back from suspension, but for the time being, the coaches seem to think Mays should be taking the bulk of the snaps.

This should have been attended to in the offseason. If the fans knew MLB was weak months ago the FO should've, instead of rewarding bad play.

10-09-2012 08:56 AM

Mays has been in on 96% of defensive snaps....

and burned on 92% of plays.LOL

It's absolutely ridiculous that Mays stays on the field in obvious passing situations. He can't cover. At all. Every RB, TE, FB he's tried to cover has got the best of him and converted some big plays.

He was thought to be a solid tackler and big hitter in the run game, but I have never seen it. His instincts are terrible. He's a downhill mike that just guesses which gap to hit. As soon as the RB notices Mays crashing inside, he just bounces outside for a 10yd gain...Don't even get me started on Mays biting on play action way too often...

The only reason that I can think of to justify the coaches keeping him in is for playcalling. The MLB is usually responsible for giving the play to the rest of the D, and getting them aligned correctly. I looked for it, and sure enough Mays is the player that has the green dot on his helmet. That's a serious indictment on the intelligence of the rest of the linebackers though if Mays is the best option to get the defense set. He sucks at lining them up and tipping plays. Brooking was 10x better, and he has only been here for a few weeks.

baja 10-09-2012 09:00 AM

imagine what this team would be like with an Al Wilson in his prime.

10-09-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3692847)
imagine what this team would be like with an Al Wilson in his prime.

Love Wilson. I'm just imagining what they'd be like with just a decent LB

spdirty 10-09-2012 09:13 AM

My Mays/Fox anger was just starting to subside. Then you bring this up.

Requiem 10-09-2012 09:21 AM

Josh McDaniels knew how to exploit him. After all, he traded for him. :)

kent156 10-09-2012 09:23 AM

but did'nt jack del rio compare him to Sam Mills so it can't be too bad right?

MagicHef 10-09-2012 09:26 AM

Mays has 9 stops (tackles resulting in a failure for the offense). Woodyard has been in on 40 fewer plays, and has 18 stops. Brooking has been in on less than half as many plays as Mays and has 8.

I don't get it. Does the headset not fit in anyone else's helmet?

broncocalijohn 10-09-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushaholic (Post 3692806)

He has completely failed at that. Brooking had a much better idea where the linebackers should be against the Raiders. This week left Ridley with so many holes to choose from. Lack of knowledge and an average (or below average) talen is killing us.