The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Vickerson and Bannan filling void left by Ty Warren's absence. (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=107317)

Bronco Rob 09-20-2012 08:41 PM

Vickerson and Bannan filling void left by Ty Warren's absence.
 
Broncos filling void left by Ty Warren's absence


Sep. 20, 2012 6:45 PM ET



ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - The Denver Broncos were counting on Ty Warren to anchor their run defense after sitting out the previous two seasons with injuries.

That plan lasted all of five snaps before the veteran defensive tackle re-tore his right triceps in the opener and went on I.R., ending his season and likely his career.

Filling the void for the Broncos (1-1) are a beefed-up Kevin Vickerson, 11th-year pro Justin Bannan and Colorado native Mitch Unrein, a second-year pro who went undrafted out of the University of Wyoming.

"Tremendous," is how coach John Fox described their play, quickly adding the admonition that "we're two tests into a 16-test exam, but so far, so good."

The Broncos held the run-oriented Pittsburgh Steelers to 2.9 yards a carry in the opener and the Atlanta Falcons to 2.4 yards a carry.

They thwarted Steelers running back Isaac Redman (20 yards on 11 carries) and Falcons running back Michael Turner, who gained just 27 yards on 16 carries before a 15-yard scamper on his final carry.

New defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio was more interested in talking about the Houston Texans (2-0), who visit Denver on Sunday.

"Two games is too small of a sample," Del Rio said. "We've done a good job of starting the year, but this week coming up is a huge test and you'll learn more about us in that phase and us in general as we go through the year."

Texans running back Arian Foster has 189 yards and three TDs so far.

"They're one of the top rushing teams in the league, and we pride ourselves in stopping the run, so it's a good test for both of us," Vickerson said.

Foster was equally impressed with the Broncos.

"From what I've seen so far, they're one of the best defenses in the NFL," Foster said. "They're so quick. They're fast. They ran to the ball and they're just ... honestly, they're exciting to watch."

Vickerson is a load in the middle after adding 40 pounds to his 6-foot-5 frame in the offseason once Del Rio arrived and told him he needed to put on weight.

Vickerson now weighs 330 pounds, 30 more than Warren.

"Yeah, because a year ago with the lockout and everything, he came back and looked like a wide receiver," Fox quipped. "That's a little extreme, but he had lost a lot of weight. So, we just had to get him back ready to play what we're asking him to play and he's doing a great job with it."

Vickerson said the weight gain is paying off and so it's not too early to take pride in the job the Broncos' run-stuffers are doing.

"The first two games, that's what we put on tape. The preseason, that's what we put on tape, that we're going to play good against the run, that we're going to come out and establish our run defense," he said. "I don't think it's a misstatement, I mean, teams got to build something, right? That's how we started, that's how we're going to go."





http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...arrens-absence

Jetmeck 09-21-2012 12:20 AM

keep it up and then we will pat you on the back.......seen thr bottom fall out of a so called good defense too many times around here.

chrisp 09-21-2012 06:41 AM

Agreed - if we have a top-10 run defense by midseason then i may allow myself to get excited.....

cmhargrove 09-21-2012 06:55 AM

It is certainly a good start. I also find it pretty interesting how good San Diego's defense is. Right now, they are the #1 rushing D, and third overall. It will be interesting to re-check all these stats at mid season (as mentioned).

LRtagger 09-21-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhargrove (Post 3674824)
It is certainly a good start. I also find it pretty interesting how good San Diego's defense is. Right now, they are the #1 rushing D, and third overall. It will be interesting to re-check all these stats at mid season (as mentioned).

Yea but the chuggers have played two cellar dwellars who werent able to run against their other opponent either. TEN has 20 rushing yards against the Pats and OAK had 23 rushing yards against Miami.

Rabb 09-21-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

"Two games is too small of a sample," Del Rio said. "We've done a good job of starting the year, but this week coming up is a huge test and you'll learn more about us in that phase and us in general as we go through the year."
love it, keeping it real

Beantown Bronco 09-21-2012 08:41 AM

I love how they say that there was a void when technically he was never healthy enough in the regular season to fill it to begin with.

Pick Six 09-21-2012 08:42 AM

I've been very pleased with the run defense, so far. The pass defense leaves something to be desired. Adams and Moore are clearly struggling with tackles in the open space. Some of us said that Tony Gonzalez would be a handful, and we turned out correct. I WISH we were wrong...

Boobs McGee 09-21-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushaholic (Post 3674859)
I've been very pleased with the run defense, so far. The pass defense leaves something to be desired. Adams and Moore are clearly struggling with tackles in the open space. Some of us said that Tony Gonzalez would be a handful, and we turned out correct. I WISH we were wrong...

Rahim Moore? Ummm, no. That's one of the few things he's consistently doing well.

ColoradoDarin 09-21-2012 11:45 AM

Steelers are a run oriented offense? Maybe 5 years ago. The Falcons? Maybe 2-3 years ago. Both are pass first teams now.

We're facing a real run first team this week. It's going to be a major test against Foster, Tate, that OL and Kubes.

razorwire77 09-21-2012 11:58 AM

Technically speaking, wouldn't Ty Warren have had to actually have a sustained presence on the team to warrant an absence?

Play2win 09-21-2012 12:07 PM

The Texans are a different type of running team than we have faced so far this season. Just sayin' (and stating the obvious)

I am really interested to see how our run defense performs against a running attack like the Texans. You would think the linebacker play is really important against a team like the Texans. It should be fun to watch!

Play2win 09-21-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorwire77 (Post 3674991)
Technically speaking, wouldn't Ty Warren have had to actually have a sustained presence on the team to warrant an absence?

Ty Warren was projecting.

lonestar 09-21-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetmeck (Post 3674780)
keep it up and then we will pat you on the back.......seen thr bottom fall out of a so called good defense too many times around here.

just may have been lousy coaching in the past a lack of talent or 7 different schemes in the past 7 years..

But then prior to all the changes only a few years with decent defenses..

Lets hope taht with the advent of John E being in charge we will get some continuity in players, up grade some of them and no more scheme changes..

Having Vickerson lose all that weight the past couple of years is plain stupid he has a large frame and should use it..

lonestar 09-21-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunk idiot kicker (Post 3674996)
The Texans are a different type of running team than we have faced so far this season. Just sayin' (and stating the obvious)

I am really interested to see how our run defense performs against a running attack like the Texans. You would think the linebacker play is really important against a team like the Texans. It should be fun to watch!

if we say at home in the running lanes all should be good ..

They are ZBS team and it is not like most of this team has never practiced against it before..

Now it just becomes players doing their jobs..

Bigdawg26 09-21-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boobs McGee (Post 3674864)
Rahim Moore? Ummm, no. That's one of the few things he's consistently doing well.

This! People really are not liking Moore for some reason! Most of the time, If the safety has to make the tackle in the run game that means the RB went pass the LB and the safety had to make the tackle 5 yards after the line of scrimmage.

Bigdawg26 09-21-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisp (Post 3674819)
Agreed - if we have a top-10 run defense by midseason then i may allow myself to get excited.....

This too!

maher_tyler 09-21-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 (Post 3675082)
This! People really are not liking Moore for some reason! Most of the time, If the safety has to make the tackle in the run game that means the RB went pass the LB and the safety had to make the tackle 5 yards after the line of scrimmage.

People are down on Moore for his coverage abilities much more so than his tackling. He looks to be improved all around from last year but still makes mistakes.

Bronco Rob 09-21-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorwire77 (Post 3674991)
Technically speaking, wouldn't Ty Warren have had to actually have a sustained presence on the team to warrant an absence?





:thumbsup:

cmhargrove 11-12-2012 07:15 AM

Bump.

It would have been interesting to see what a healthy Ty Warren could have brought to the table, but Vickerson is certainly filling the gap, with Bannan as a nice situational player and veteran presence.

Of all the players in the Carolina sack-fest yesterday, Vickerson was the only Bronco to record 2 sacks. Certainly it was a group effort, but his presence has been huge as both a run stopping force and a pocket collapser.

Go big Vick!!!

elsid13 11-12-2012 07:48 AM

Vickerson is playing himself into long term deal with this team. Still need another big body in draft at DT, but it looks like they have one starter at DT for next couple of years.

rbackfactory80 11-12-2012 07:58 AM

Yesterday was the most impressed I have been with this Defense in forever. I was actually enjoying watching them on the field more than the Offense.

baja 11-12-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 (Post 3724104)
Yesterday was the most impressed I have been with this Defense in forever. I was actually enjoying watching them on the field more than the Offense.

They look like a Orange Crush sequel to me.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.