The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Maniac Community Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Ugh... (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=107055)

Mogulseeker 09-11-2012 12:40 AM

Ugh...

Still up at 1:40am figuring out these ****ing derivatives.

WTF am I doing pursuing an MS in Financial Mathematics at Daniels College of Business?

This degree is going to cost $74,000, and I've always been an academic allstar, but now it seems I'm falling behind.

Need encouragement.

UberBroncoMan 09-11-2012 12:41 AM

Remember your younger days and seize the moment.

...or picture Rev on a lobster.

BowlenBall 09-11-2012 12:47 AM

It takes money to make money, and you need to make money to make it rain.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...0/22272019.jpg
http://thisiscorytyler.files.wordpre...e-it-rain.jpeg

On a more serious note, the reason you're having a crisis of confidence is because it's difficult and you're challenging yourself. Dig deep and work harder, that's what higher education's all about.

Dr. Broncenstein 09-11-2012 12:59 AM

You might be a mediocre math nerd... you remain an allstar attention whore.

Rother8 09-11-2012 01:05 AM

Always remember young grasshopper, Josh McDaniels was a math major.

Mogulseeker 09-11-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rother8 (Post 3664149)
Always remember young grasshopper, Josh McDaniels was a math major.

Wow good thing I majored in International Relations and Economics.

Dr. Broncenstein 09-11-2012 01:08 AM

This is actually a picture of Sally Mae and associates... hard at work counting compounded student loan interest profit.

McDman 09-11-2012 03:13 AM

Just think, you have a very mediocre paying job and years of paying off loans waiting for you!

09-11-2012 04:03 AM

http://i.imgur.com/N0ZDf.jpg

Garcia Bronco 09-11-2012 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mightysmurf (Post 3664142)

WTF am I doing pursuing an MS in Financial Mathematics at Daniels College of Business?

This degree is going to cost $74,000, and I've always been an academic allstar, but now it seems I'm falling behind.

Need encouragement.

Just follow the steps on how to do it and practice. You'll get it.

The derivative of X squared is 2x. If you know that and I am sure you do, you can figure out anything.

TheReverend 09-11-2012 04:38 AM

Dear Diary...

Garcia Bronco 09-11-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 3664152)

This is actually a picture of Sally Mae and associates... hard at work counting compounded student loan interest profit.

Only on loans they originated which they haven't been able to do since 2008. Now they are only a loan servicer.

errand 09-11-2012 04:45 AM

Yet another career student.....

"Do not be a borrower, nor a lender thee....do not forget, stay out of debt "

colorado jones 09-11-2012 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 3664146)
You might be a mediocre math nerd... you remain an allstar attention whore.

This. Just call Lindsey Vonn's brother and ask him what he would do.

EmpireOrange 09-11-2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mightysmurf (Post 3664142)

Need encouragement.

As someone who works in financial services, I suggest you reroute your degree to either accounting or law. Once you get your first job, get your CFA designation. The way the industry is going now, you'll have a job for life that way. Otherwise get used to layoffs at every blimp in market, or learn to feel up grandmothers to churn thier IRAs for a living.

What kind of derivatives are you having problems with?

orange skier 09-11-2012 06:23 AM

I suggest you consider a career in white collar crime. Highly lucrative. And remember, no one has gone to jail in the Lehman bankruptcy, proof positive that our system works. Lehman had $613 billion in debt at the time of it's filing. Think how quickly you could pay off that $74K. Possible role model: Jaime Diamond.

Kaylore 09-11-2012 06:29 AM

Sounds like you need to unwind, girl! Let's go shoe shopping and drink appletinis!

theAPAOps5 09-11-2012 06:52 AM

ABACADABA

60% of the time, it works all the time

Dr. Broncenstein 09-11-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 (Post 3664222)
ABACADABA

60% of the time, it works all the time

That's magical.

SportinOne 09-11-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowlenBall (Post 3664144)
On a more serious note, the reason you're having a crisis of confidence is because it's difficult and you're challenging yourself. Dig deep and work harder, that's what higher education's all about.

This.

Create a positive reinforcement cycle. Tell yourself you can do it, that you just need to work harder, then do it, then see the good results, cycle and repeat. If you should have a rough stretch, know that it's not because you aren't adequate but that you just need to work harder. It's really as simple as that!

broncocalijohn 09-11-2012 07:02 AM

Take a break and try to go get laid.....try of course.

good luck on both!

tsiguy96 09-11-2012 07:07 AM

getting a masters sucks, not only did my loans interest skyrocket, i still make less than a lot of entry level bachelor jobs.

Requiem 09-11-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsiguy96 (Post 3664239)
getting a masters sucks, not only did my loans interest skyrocket, i still make less than a lot of entry level bachelor jobs.

One of the reasons I can't **** or get off the pot on my decision to go to graduate school. School will always be there, but I have been trying to dial down my undergraduate debt as much as I can. Preferably, within the next 12-18 months, all my non-school debt will be paid off and I can strictly focus on school.

It has never been about the money to me, but I don't know if I want to go and get a Master's just to be able to teach. At best, I'd be doing entry-level courses at a school en route to a PhD, but I'm not sure 20k + is going to be worth it if I end up teaching high school civics and social sciences to make less money than I do with a Bachelor's now. Though, I enjoy that sort of environment a lot more.

At any case, MightySmurf -- proud of you for challenging yourself and furthering your schooling. A part of me regrets not going the engineering/computer science route because I was intimidated by mathematics and all that stuff. I did fine in math when I tried, but I never liked putting in the extra effort to get A's. Everything else in the world came easy to me but math. Sucks, cause my pops is a math whiz. Guess I got the stupid math gene. :~ohyah!:

Good luck to you, and EmpireOrange may have been a guiding light for you.

But follow your heart and bliss.

It'll all work out. :D

09-11-2012 07:50 AM

What are you planning on doing with that masters degree OP?

actuary? CFA? trading?

Just curious. Seems like the actuary exams may be a good idea given the heavy math emphasis.

I've considered grad school myself, but I don't know for sure what I want to do so I made the decision to not take out more student loan debt for the time being. If I wasn't such a naive 18yo coming out of high school I would have picked a more practical undergrad degree like accounting/engineering/compsci, because when it all boils down a liberal arts undergrad is pretty worthless except for the fact that you learn how to learn, if that makes sense. I did look at getting a post-graduate accounting certificate, but after meeting with a counselor and finding out that program would actually take two years, I decided to just get a different job instead.

Either way, hang in there and best of luck in your education. It's a costly endeavor these days, so make the most of it!

crush17 09-11-2012 08:54 AM

www.livejournal.com