The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Broncos have cap space, but won't spend wildly (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=103945)

Bronco Rob 03-09-2012 05:46 AM

Broncos have cap space, but won't spend wildly

Thursday March 08, 2012 - 4:25 PM

With the free-agent period beginning Tuesday, the salary cap had yet to be finalized by the league. But whatever the cap turns out to be, the Broncos will have more room than almost anyone else -- as much as $40-$50 million, depending on which cap estimate you use.

Even with that cap room -- which includes the $27 million of space the Broncos rolled over from 2011 -- the Broncos aren't expected to spend willy-nilly.

"We plan on being aggressive and smart at the same time and try to get some good signings in here, some value signings," general manager Brian Xanders said in January.

That's what Xanders, executive vice president John Elway and coach John Fox did during the lockout-truncated signing period last summer. They only signed two unrestricted free agents from other rosters (tight ends Daniel Fells from St. Louis and Dante Rosario from Carolina), scrounged around the cut list for unwanted players (defensive tackle Ty Warren, defensive end Derrick Harvey and running back Willis McGahee) and traded for Eagles defensive tackle Broderick Bunkley after a deal between Philadelphia and Cleveland fell through because of medical concerns.

But those were mostly short-term answers. Fells, Rosario and Harvey only signed one-year deals; Bunkley had one year left on his contract. Of those acquisitions, only McGahee and Warren had multi-year deals.

The expiring contracts of last year's pickups extends the Broncos' to-do list heading into the start of free agency March 13. Their list of 16 unrestricted free agents includes seven first-teamers, the special-teams captain (Wesley Woodyard) and one of their Pro Bowlers, safety Brian Dawkins.

The Broncos could opt for continuity and try to re-sign as many of their pending free agents as possible. But none of the free agents could be considered particularly irreplaceable. Even Bunkley, who emerged as the steadiest run defender on the Broncos' defensive line last year, isn't considered a complete answer to the Broncos' defensive questions; he didn't provide much pass-rush punch and finished without a sack in 2011.

Bunkley and Marcus Thomas, the Broncos' other first-team defensive tackle, are free agents. The Broncos have expressed interest in bringing both back, but they don't represent the full answer at a position that has been problematic for the Broncos since they released Trevor Pryce six years ago.

"Defensive tackle is, no question, an area where we want to get better," Elway said.

Improvement on the defensive line's interior might have to wait until the draft. The free-agent crop of defensive tackles is low on players who represent a pass-rushing upgrade from Bunkley and Thomas, but a deep draft crop of defensive tackles means the Broncos could find help there.

McGahee was the Broncos' most successful pickup of the free-agent period last year; he returned to the Pro Bowl, had his first 1,000-yard season in five years and led the league in 100-yard games with seven. But the Broncos know the 30-year-old back can't reasonably be expected to have six 20-plus carry games in future years, as he did in 2011.

Fox would like to platoon McGahee with another effective back. Knowshon Moreno wasn't the answer to that conundrum before tearing his anterior cruciate ligament at Kansas City last Nov. 13. Backup Lance Ball was intermittently effective in a reserve role, but wasn't nearly as effective as McGahee.

What Fox would like is what he had in Carolina -- two effective running backs. He won an NFC title with Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster splitting carries in 2003; he went 12-4 five years later with DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart dividing the repetitions.

"Having a stable of running backs is important. If you just look at our track record -- my track record -- I believe in that." Fox said. "We're going to try to continue to build that."

But with an overall roster still shy on depth -- a problem that was exposed during a 1-4 start to 2011, when four defensive starters were injured, including Pro Bowlers Champ Bailey and Elvis Dumervil -- the Broncos don't have the luxury of being able to spend their cap room on one or two free agents.

So when the signing period begins, "value" will almost certainly continue to be their watchword.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...t-spend-wildly

eddie mac 03-09-2012 06:04 AM

The signing period began long ago for their own guys but they haven't done a ****ing thing so far bar tagging Prater.

kappys 03-09-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie mac (Post 3507417)
The signing period began long ago for their own guys but they haven't done a ****ing thing so far bar tagging Prater.

Bunkley is the only guy I see as a priority - but maybe the FO feels he only performed well b/c contract year and/or see a potential upgrade that could be available.

CEH 03-09-2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Smart. We have no must sign FAs like a Stevie Johnston and a Arain Foster. Let the market come to them to dicate where they need to be for guys like Bunkley. Prater was a must keep.

eddie mac 03-09-2012 06:37 AM

Well if that's the case you have to wonder what on earth Elway was talking about when he stated that after the combine they'd be working on deals to bring back the majority of their own free agents in order to keep continuity???

Elway 4 Life 03-09-2012 06:44 AM

They havent set the cap limit yet. We dont have any high profile FA's so theres is no hurry. No need to go crazy and overpay for our own FA's.

DBroncos4life 03-09-2012 06:57 AM

Why does it seem like Thomas is always a FA?

TheReverend 03-09-2012 07:00 AM

Thread title amuses me on the same front page as Denver throwing everything and the kitchen sink at Manning :)

Elway 4 Life 03-09-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBroncos4life (Post 3507462)
Why does it seem like Thomas is always a FA?

LOL

He's good rotational player. Somewhat inconsistent but every year he's in this same position. I hope we sign him and draft a couple more, get warren and vickerson back healthy and have a wicked ass DT competition in training camp.

Dedhed 03-09-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronco Rob (Post 3507403)

Doesn't this pretty much exclude Manning?

ColoradoDarin 03-09-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3507463)
Thread title amuses me on the same front page as Denver throwing everything and the kitchen sink at Manning :)

This. Rep. No way does this square with the Broncos pursuing Manning.

barryr 03-09-2012 07:21 AM

Most seem to think if they land Manning, they need to spend more to become a serious contender since this team lacks talent in many areas, so seems a contradiction going on here. Unless some really believe Manning will be such a great draw, so many great players will come to play for the Broncos on the cheap.

CEH 03-09-2012 07:59 AM

If Denver lands Manning and he is the old Peyton how does Denver compare to NE

QB toss up
RB Denver

OLine Denver (yes I believe Denver has a top 5 OLine especially with Peyton. Tebow just held the ball too long and the Oline never knew where he was and 360's into so many defenders last year)

TEs NE
WRs Den
Dline push
Pass rushers DEN
LBers NE
CBs Den
S (NE ?)

I'm not convinced that Denver cannot line up and play with the big boys

barryr 03-09-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEH (Post 3507544)

QB toss up
RB Denver

OLine Denver (yes I believe Denver has a top 5 OLine especially with Peyton. Tebow just held the ball too long and the Oline never knew where he was and 360's into so many defenders last year)

TEs NE
WRs Den
Dline push
Pass rushers DEN
LBers NE
CBs Den
S (NE ?)

So it was Tebow on the field as the Patriot offense was marching up and down the field all game long? Seems Orton had to hold the ball a lot too, so maybe the Bronco receivers need some work on how to get open quickly, which isn't going to happen just because Manning is around.

CEH 03-09-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barryr (Post 3507599)
So it was Tebow on the field as the Patriot offense was marching up and down the field all game long? Seems Orton had to hold the ball a lot too, so maybe the Bronco receivers need some work on how to get open quickly, which isn't going to happen just because Manning is around.

Manning makes the WR not the other way around. Orton does not make the WRs. Who is Blair White , Austin Coillie and Pierre Gason? Didn't Manning go head to head with Brady and spot him a 21-3 lead to go to the Super Bowl.

Was the Indy defense with Freeny and Mathis that much better than Elvis and Von plus Champ.

Please the offense needed to keep up with Brady plain and simple. Manning can do that.

Not saying it will be like this but it's not prosposteus to think so. Enough evidence to argue either way

barryr 03-09-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEH (Post 3507615)
Manning makes the WR not the other way around. Orton does not make the WRs. Who is Blair White , Austin Coillie and Pierre Gason? Didn't Manning go head to head with Brady and spot him a 21-3 lead to go to the Super Bowl.

Was the Indy defense with Freeny and Mathis that much better than Elvis and Von plus Champ.

Please the offense needed to keep up with Brady plain and simple. Manning can do that.

Not saying it will be like this but it's not prosposteus to think so. Enough evidence to argue either way

They also ran short pass routes in Indy, something we didn't see much last season with Tebow or Orton. And a very good pass catching TE that the Broncos do not have. So if the Broncos are planning to change their whole offense, sure, but call me skeptical of that happening.

~Crash~ 03-09-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

this is my thoughts and I am kind of let down by this . we got plenty player that played huge rolls and I have not heard much of any talk on this..

CEH 03-09-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barryr (Post 3507618)
They also ran short pass routes in Indy, something we didn't see much last season with Tebow or Orton. And a very good pass catching TE that the Broncos do not have. So if the Broncos are planning to change their whole offense, sure, but call me skeptical of that happening.

The short passes are more because the QB can read the defense and find the open guy and move the chains before the defense can even get set. Very rarely does Manning get fooled. Probably a reason why he wants to stay in the AFC plus not play his brother in the NFCC game but Super Bowl

Coaches changed up the offense mid stream last year. I haven't given up on Julius Thomas but if we sign Manning all the top TEs should be sitting there at #25 if the front office wants to get a few more weapons for Payaton

~Crash~ 03-09-2012 09:09 AM

with Dawkins CEH us !

TheReverend 03-09-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Too busy chasing the tail of dogma.

Rohirrim 03-09-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Sometimes the Broncos have a whiff of the Rockies about them. :pity:

barryr 03-09-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEH (Post 3507627)
The short passes are more because the QB can read the defense and find the open guy and move the chains before the defense can even get set. Very rarely does Manning get fooled. Probably a reason why he wants to stay in the AFC plus not play his brother in the NFCC game but Super Bowl

Coaches changed up the offense mid stream last year. I haven't given up on Julius Thomas but if we sign Manning all the top TEs should be sitting there at #25 if the front office wants to get a few more weapons for Payaton

Reading defenses is something young QB's need time to develop otherwise all we would see are 35 year old QB's playing in the NFL.

eddie mac 03-09-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3507633)
Too busy chasing the tail of dogma.

Just thinking that if they land Manning maybe they'll need more capspace/cash to sign all his mates, Wayne, Garcon, Clark and Jeff

pricejj 03-09-2012 09:54 AM

If you look at all the Bronco starter free agents that must be resigned, it doesn't leave a lot of cap space left:

Starters:
Bunkley - $4M-$5M per year
Thomas - $2-$4M per year
Royal - $3M per year
Fells - $1.5M per year
McBean - $1-$2M per year
Colquitt - $1M - $1.5M per year

Reserves:
Woodyard - $2M per year (if I was him I'd go somewhere else to start for more $)
Haggan - $1M per year (if he agrees to take a pay cut)

And what to do with Dawkins? Last year he counted $9M against the cap. Could we resign him for $5M? Hope they don't sign Meriweather to big $. New England cut him for a reason.

That's about $20M gone. Right now the Broncos are at about $94M...that would puot them at about $114M...still needing an MLB.

Bring in Hawthorne at $3M per year, and sign the draftpicks...

CAP SPACE = GONE

Mogulseeker 03-09-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEH (Post 3507544)

QB toss up
RB Denver

TEs NE
WRs Den
Dline push
Pass rushers DEN
LBers NE
CBs Den
S (NE ?)

lolwut

We have better WRs than NE?