The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Maniac Community Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Bone Marrow Donations (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=103188)

MrPeepers 01-19-2012 01:55 PM

Bone Marrow Donations

Throughout the month of January, American Express is covering the costs associated with joining the Be The Match Bone Marrow Registry. (The total cost to add a new member to the registry is around $100.)

http://marrow.org/Join/Join_Now/Join_Now.aspx

I have a great client, nicest guy I've ever met fighting leukemia. He is physically a shell of the man he once was, but is internal tough as nails. It's a shame that someday he'll be gone too young. He goes about life without any chip on his shoulder.

Amex will cover the registration costs for anyone signing on. It is one of those health donations that sadly doesn't have enough people on register. You can save real lives by considering this.

Anyone who ever considered this, here's a great chance to do it.

Myths and Facts about Donating Marrow

http://marrow.org/Join/Myths_and_Fac..._Donation.aspx

If a mod can sticky for a few days would be appreciated.

myMind 01-19-2012 02:24 PM

Ive heard it is extremley painful to have bone marrow extracted.
Id do it for family or close friends, but it sure isnt the same as donating blood.

Mogulseeker 01-19-2012 02:58 PM

Don't they have to drill through your leg to do that?

Victor 01-19-2012 03:18 PM

Great idea. I registered. Thank you for putting this on the Mane.

Dukes 01-19-2012 03:35 PM

Have your friend watch this video.
http://vimeo.com/24821365

Blart 01-19-2012 04:56 PM

I have much admiration for anyone who registers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukes (Post 3471346)
Have your friend watch this video.
http://vimeo.com/24821365

Save that stuff for another thread. Scamming sick people is the lowest of the low.

MrPeepers 01-19-2012 06:29 PM

I added a fact and myth link for anyone who is curious. 1 in 540 people on the registry will ever be contacted for marrow. But it is likely one of the most in demand donations.

MrPeepers 01-19-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mightysmurf (Post 3471314)
Don't they have to drill through your leg to do that?

I don't think the procedure is that intense, see the fact sheet above. Honestly, if I'm saving someone, I don't give a damn about a little discomfort. If a kidney saves someone I care for they can have it. Both my parents died from brain cancer. I'll give what I have extra of. Alot of it is more modern and stem cell related.

All the registry does is puts your info out there as a potential match. I hink marrow donators have alot of misinformation out there.

http://marrow.org/Registry_Members/D..._Donation.aspx

Dukes 01-19-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blart (Post 3471425)
I have much admiration for anyone who registers.

Save that stuff for another thread. Scamming sick people is the lowest of the low.

Want to talk about scams? None bigger than the FDA. Keep drinking that cool-aid

doonwise 01-19-2012 07:38 PM

I signed up about two weeks ago. I've been meaning to do it for a couple years as I lost a great friend to leukemia.

kappys 01-21-2012 12:41 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svTQ-zJHY9M

This is an aspirate which is slightly different than collecting bone marrow for transplant - I believe for transplant they do both iliac crests and aspirate as much as possible.

The procedure itself is pretty benign from what I hear since they use local anesthetic. The bruised bone will ache for a couple of weeks. Small price to pay to save a life.

cutthemdown 01-21-2012 07:53 AM

I wanted to chime in on this because I have posted on this subject, here on the MANE. As some people know my brother is a leukemia survivor. His marrow match was found in a girl in FLA and she saved his life.

I was appalled to learn more people vote on American Idol then have registered to be on the bone marrow registry.

It doesn't cause tons of pain like people say it does.

Please African American men go sign up. There is a dearth of African American bone marrow donors. Black men, women, and kids die because white people don't match them and black people are not on the registry.

Think about how lucky you would be to be a match. Can you imagine being the life blood that saved some kids mom from dying? or a dads son? Thats the type of thing you can take to the grave feeling good about.

Also they need platelettes ( spelling?) . They come out of your blood and are used to help peoples blood start doing its thing again after Chemotherapy.

Sucks because if you take anti inflammatory medicine you can't give them, so it sort of rules my fat ass out.

What an awesome thread! Go out and try and save a life!

cutthemdown 01-21-2012 07:56 AM

And to the person talking about Cancer as a biz, I'm sure there is a lot of profiteering. But still people should give up their marrow to save a life. IMO we should all be forced to do it lol, but I know that goes against my govt stay out of life mantra. It's just when it hits home it takes on a different perspective.

I saw a guy who was in the hospital with my brother get his transplant, then die of a lung fungal infection. It's just gnarly what leukemia patients have to go through.

The least we can do is not make them sit in a bed waiting for a transplant match!

underrated29 01-21-2012 08:18 AM

Wow! Cool thread man. My mom has to get a bonemarrow transplant in 13 days. Lucky for her she has two options she can be her own donor or a sibling can be a donor. She has 3 other siblings so she should be just fine, but other people who are an only child and can't use themselves as a donor could really need your help.

From what my moms doc told her, her sisters only need to have blood drawn as its the bloopers stem cells they need. So it might be like donating blood for some.

Brewer 01-21-2012 10:23 AM

There's so much bad information in this thread. Bone marrow donation is done by way of a whole blood donation process that may take a few days, a few hours per day. Welcome to modern medicine. A donor (auto or allo) is dosed with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor which causes stem cells to move from the marrow into the circulating blood, where they are then harvested for processing and transplantation. There's a whole lot more to it than that, but that's more accurate than any of the other posts. Long story short: get registered.

cutthemdown 01-21-2012 10:27 AM

Brewer is right. It's not some draconian procedure you will suffer from anymore.

Dr. Broncenstein 01-21-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kappys (Post 3472532)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svTQ-zJHY9M

This is an aspirate which is slightly different than collecting bone marrow for transplant - I believe for transplant they do both iliac crests and aspirate as much as possible.

The procedure itself is pretty benign from what I hear since they use local anesthetic. The bruised bone will ache for a couple of weeks. Small price to pay to save a life.

I do the occasional bone marrow biopsy... and the aspiration tends to be uncomfortable to the point that I usually combine the procedure with something like a mediport so I can justify sedation. I have no experience with harvesting marrow for transplantion, but I would imagine that requires a general anesthetic.

Brewer 01-21-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 3472765)
I do the occasional bone marrow biopsy... and the aspiration tends to be uncomfortable to the point that I usually combine the procedure with something like a mediport so I can justify sedation. I have no experience with harvesting marrow for transplantion, but I would imagine that requires a general anesthetic.

Time for an in-service, old man! Get with the new millennium. Ha, ha. Re-read my post. I have extensive knowledge (professional experience) of bone marrow donation and transplantation. Think apheresis. CD34+ cells are pheresed from peripheral blood. Be happy to talk to you about it. Cheers.

Dr. Broncenstein 01-21-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewer (Post 3472997)
Time for an in-service, old man! Get with the new millennium. Ha, ha. Re-read my post. I have extensive knowledge (professional experience) of bone marrow donation and transplantation. Think apheresis. CD34+ cells are pheresed from peripheral blood. Be happy to talk to you about it. Cheers.

Like I said, I'm performing a biopsy when I have anything to do with marrow. It's uncomfortable. If I'm having trouble sleeping sometime, I'll hit you up about a discussion on heme/onc graft techniques.

MrPeepers 01-21-2012 04:52 PM

Thanks for keeping some activity on this, but seriously it's unlikely you get selected anyways, but at least sign up. I have a feeling if they came calling and you were faced with saving a life, you'd opt to save the life.

Lets give this thread some legs.

Brewer 01-21-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 3473006)
Like I said, I'm performing a biopsy when I have anything to do with marrow. It's uncomfortable. If I'm having trouble sleeping sometime, I'll hit you up about a discussion on heme/onc graft techniques.

Allo recipients have better outcomes when they experience an intentional "exposure" to initiate GVH to the new stem cells. Mortality rate is actually much lower in those allos who have GVH compared to those who do not.

cutthemdown 01-22-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeepers (Post 3473008)
Thanks for keeping some activity on this, but seriously it's unlikely you get selected anyways, but at least sign up. I have a feeling if they came calling and you were faced with saving a life, you'd opt to save the life.

Lets give this thread some legs.

Think about how incredible that would be though. Not to mention the more people who sign up, will probably tell a friend yeah i signed up on the bone marrow thing because of so and so who is sick, then that person might also. Little things can snowball and really make a difference.

MrPeepers 01-27-2012 06:04 PM

got a 4 q-tips cheek swab kit today, returned. i'm official. Takes 2 months or so to get listed.

Spider 01-27-2012 08:56 PM

will they let me sign up ? i have diabetes ?

MrPeepers 01-28-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider (Post 3478526)
will they let me sign up ? i have diabetes ?

no, the website says no Spider :) I don't think diabetes is allowed. Check the website.