The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   War, Religion and Politics Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Senate Dems on verge of "nuclear option" (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=113065)

Bronco Yoda 11-21-2013 07:40 AM

Senate Dems on verge of "nuclear option"
 
WASHINGTON — Senate Democrats are on the verge of moving to eliminate the use of the filibuster against most presidential nominees, aides and senior party leaders said Wednesday, a move that would deprive Republicans of their ability to block President Obama’s picks for cabinet posts and the federal judiciary and further erode what little bipartisanship still exists in the Senate.

Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the majority leader, is poised to move forward on Thursday with a vote on what is known on Capitol Hill as the “nuclear option,” several Democrats said. Mr. Reid and the senators who have been the most vocal on stopping the Republican blockade of White House nominees are now confident they have the votes to make the change. ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/21/us...icks.html?_r=0

Rigs11 11-21-2013 02:00 PM

http://mediamatters.org/research/201...ibuster/197001

BroncoBeavis 11-21-2013 02:11 PM

Won't be long and these same mediamatters tards will be shrieking about how pliable the venerable filibuster has become.

They invented the modern practice of filibustering nominees, then dismantled the filibuster itself once their earlier short-term strategy later came home to roost.

This escalation will end no better for them. Without control of the House, there's little to be gained here, other than a few appointments. What they sacrifice is any credibility once their opposition decides to sideline the filibuster as needed in the future.

Smiling Assassin27 11-21-2013 02:23 PM

It's all done. This just set off a game of one upsmanship with no barriers. Interesting timing, considering what the Dems have historically said about this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/K1Dacnvjf8A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ojq-o4FQ1x0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3GBu6-wMuj0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jetmeck 11-21-2013 03:49 PM

Had to be done. The filibuster has been abused to historic levels by republicans.

Blocking almost every appointee, every circuit court judges. There are 2-3 openings and we can't get them filled.

BS.........these retarded republicans brought this on themselves.

Now if we just had a choke chain for the HOUSE republicans as well.


Filibuster has been abused. Most DEMS would like it to be there for the RIGHT reasons.

Unfortunately the obstructionist party left us no choice.

cutthemdown 11-21-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetmeck (Post 3975009)
Had to be done. The filibuster has been abused to historic levels by republicans.

Blocking almost every appointee, every circuit court judges. There are 2-3 openings and we can't get them filled.

BS.........these retarded republicans brought this on themselves.

Now if we just had a choke chain for the HOUSE republicans as well.


Filibuster has been abused. Most DEMS would like it to be there for the RIGHT reasons.

Unfortunately the obstructionist party left us no choice.

Meh last time it was dems doing this to stop Bush appointees and the repubs threatening. Dems went ahead and did it. Thing is we have plenty of judges at the federal level. The judgeships are bloated just like all of the govt.

Repubs one day will take it a step further or use it to their advantage and liberals will cry about it. All this really does is make it 100% the Senate won't be working together until after Obama is gone. Forget about immigration reform now, at least comprehensive reform. It will have to be piece by piece now.

ant1999e 11-21-2013 03:56 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1pWHHw-dAV4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

W*GS 11-21-2013 03:58 PM

How Often Filibusters Have Been Used

BroncoBeavis 11-21-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetmeck (Post 3975009)
Had to be done. The filibuster has been abused to historic levels by republicans.

Blocking almost every appointee, every circuit court judges. There are 2-3 openings and we can't get them filled.

BS.........these retarded republicans brought this on themselves.

Now if we just had a choke chain for the HOUSE republicans as well.


Filibuster has been abused. Most DEMS would like it to be there for the RIGHT reasons.

Unfortunately the obstructionist party left us no choice.

"Abused" in that Republicans blocked court nominees to the very same DC Circuit for the very same reason and rationale that Democrats did only a few years earlier (under Bush)

Enjoy the end of the Filibuster. This, combined with the Obamacare reconcilation, spells the end of it.

Proggies will rue this day. Very possibly come 2016.

ant1999e 11-21-2013 03:58 PM

Harry Reid believes it will ruin our country.

Requiem 11-21-2013 04:00 PM

It's for executive/judicial appointments only, but it does not apply to legislation or Supreme Court nominations.

End of the filibuster as we know it? Lol. Do some research.

Jetmeck 11-21-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3975011)
Meh last time it was dems doing this to stop Bush appointees and the repubs threatening. Dems went ahead and did it. Thing is we have plenty of judges at the federal level. The judgeships are bloated just like all of the govt.

Repubs one day will take it a step further or use it to their advantage and liberals will cry about it. All this really does is make it 100% the Senate won't be working together until after Obama is gone. Forget about immigration reform now, at least comprehensive reform. It will have to be piece by piece now.


Actually no you are wrong.

In the history of this country, over 230 years the filibuster has been used to block judicail nominees...............

However and this is a big however..........half of ALL THE FILIBUSTERS OF ALL TIME WERE USED BY REPUBLICANS AGAINST BARACK OBAMA.

sO IN 230 YEARS HALF OF ALL THE FILIBUSTERS HAVE BEEN AGAINST THIS PRESIDENT.

WE get it you republicans don't like the black guy.

Do you job and quit gumming up the works.

Jetmeck 11-21-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3975019)
It's for executive/judicial appointments only, but it does not apply to legislation or Supreme Court nominations.

End of the filibuster as we know it? Lol. Do some research.


Should have been across the board for everything.

Requiem 11-21-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetmeck (Post 3975021)
Should have been across the board for everything.

Reap what you sow, I guess. McConnell vowed in the past that if he became the majority leader, he would have it extended to both those things.

Jetmeck 11-21-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis (Post 3975015)
"Abused" in that Republicans blocked court nominees to the very same DC Circuit for the very same reason and rationale that Democrats did only a few years earlier (under Bush)

Enjoy the end of the Filibuster. This, combined with the Obamacare reconcilation, spells the end of it.

Proggies will rue this day. Very possibly come 2016.


Best get over yourself and look and see who Bush appointed just to the SUPREME COURT....MORON !

Jetmeck 11-21-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3975022)
Reap what you sow, I guess. McConnell vowed in the past that if he became the majority leader, he would have it extended to both those things.

I FULLY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING BUT SOONER OR LATER WE NEED to move things along.

Nothing is getting done because of republican obstruction even on fuly qualified judicial nominations. its beyond ridiculous

Requiem 11-21-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetmeck (Post 3975024)
I FULLY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING BUT SOONER OR LATER WE NEED to move things along.

Nothing is getting done because of republican obstruction even on fuly qualified judicial nominations. its beyond ridiculous

I agree that it is ridiculous, but if the Senate flipped and the Republicans ended up doing that to the Democrats (taking away their ability to filibuster anything) -- you would probably be upset.

Jetmeck 11-21-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3975026)
I agree that it is ridiculous, but if the Senate flipped and the Republicans ended up doing that to the Democrats (taking away their ability to filibuster anything) -- you would probably be upset.



You don't understand me. I am democrat but I know the diff tween
right and wrong and if my democratic senator was blocking judicial nominees and other legislation just for polotical gain I would be screaming at her dumbass because it is WRONG period no matter whether you are dem or republic.

Do whats best for the country not your damn party..........

BroncoBeavis 11-21-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3975019)
It's for executive/judicial appointments only, but it does not apply to legislation or Supreme Court nominations.

End of the filibuster as we know it? Lol. Do some research.

Lolz. Yes, once a bare-knuckle majority redefines when the filibuster does and doesn't apply, that'll never get redefined as needed by bare-knuckle majority ever again. LOL

Once the majority is free to change the Senate rules as they go, the filibuster is rendered effectively meaningless.

Requiem 11-21-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis (Post 3975030)
Lolz. Yes, once a bare-knuckle majority redefines when the filibuster does and doesn't apply, that'll never get redefined as needed by bare-knuckle majority ever again. LOL

Once the majority is free to change the Senate rules as they go, the filibuster is rendered effectively meaningless.

Oh. Yep. Like I said, McConnell would love to extend it to everything. I was just pointing out that it doesn't end everything now -- like some here believe or implied in the thread. TYCA.

Jetmeck 11-21-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis (Post 3975030)
Lolz. Yes, once a bare-knuckle majority redefines when the filibuster does and doesn't apply, that'll never get redefined as needed by bare-knuckle majority ever again. LOL

Once the majority is free to change the Senate rules as they go, the filibuster is rendered effectively meaningless.

lol

This change is in response to the total republican obstructionistic policy.

On the other hand your dumbass buddies in the house changed the voting rules when they shut the govnt down stopping anyone from asking for a vote on the CR which would have passed and the govnt would not have been shut down and real people hurt for no reson.

Republicans are the problem and this problem was dealt with.

Kinda like the bank robber blaming the police for arresting him.....don't make sense does it.

If they weren't abusing the filibuster it would not have been changed...

Requiem 11-21-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetmeck (Post 3975029)
Do whats best for the country not your damn party..........

I like to party.

BroncoBeavis 11-21-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetmeck (Post 3975023)
Best get over yourself and look and see who Bush appointed just to the SUPREME COURT....MORON !

Not talking about the Supreme Court. I'm talking about these same Democrats squatting on Bush DC circuit nominees because they argued more judges weren't needed in that court.

Exactly the argument Republicans just made as Reconciliation Reid steamrolled them.

There's no dressing up this **** sandwich. Machiavelli through and through. There's no room to expect any consideration as a minority from this point forward. But at least Republicans still have the House to keep some things under control

But the day Republicans regain control of the Senate and Presidency, you will have nothing. And you'll cry big crocodile tears about it.

Jetmeck 11-21-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3975039)
I like to party.



Good for you but you are not a senator or congressman.

Hear about the rep from Florida got caught with coke ?

Another republican two faced a-hole...he won't resign

Jetmeck 11-21-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis (Post 3975043)
Not talking about the Supreme Court. I'm talking about these same Democrats squatting on Bush DC circuit nominees because they argued more judges weren't needed in that court.

Exactly the argument Republicans just made as Reconciliation Reid steamrolled them.

There's no dressing up this **** sandwich. Machiavelli through and through. There's no room to expect any consideration as a minority from this point forward. But at least Republicans still have the House to keep some things under control

But the day Republicans regain control of the Senate and Presidency, you will have nothing. And you'll cry big crocodile tears about it.



Look I am not argueing with you when you don't know what you are talking about.

Bush had many nominees confirmed, republicans have blocked all but ONE of President obamas nominees.

Typical false equivalence.....wrong


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.