The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Patent Office Cancels 'Redskins' (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115691)

Binkythefrog 06-18-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 (Post 4128930)
Then we should expect to see the Blackhawks, Braves, and Indians also pulled? Betcha we don't.

It might change in the future - language, ideas, and culture are always evolving. Millions of people in the past embraced ideas that most of us find repulsive now.

Clearly a change to the Redskins name is a ridiculous notion to many who think that it doesn't matter, it represents history, etc. However, it is affront to many and is it reasonable for us to expect a smaller group of people to completely accept the same worldview as a larger group of people? Obviously there are some worldviews that are awful and shouldn't be considered/debated, but changing the name Redskins doesn't apply to that standard.

One thing we can all agree on (I think) - Dan Synder is awful NFL owner.

Garcia Bronco 06-18-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtown (Post 4128874)
If you wanted to use it as a Spanish word you should be pronouncing it correctly as well... Negro not Neegro and saying it with a bunch of other Spanish words, because you'd be speaking Spanish. Otherwise it's a bastardization and it's offensive. Blacks in this country do sometimes find African American as a term offensive because not all of them are from Africa. The best bet these days is to just use the word Black.

it is more of a Naa than a Nee...but either way it's a legit word if you're talking in the race context, which I don't typically do unless engaged in a political conversation and Negros are represented as a group.

RepentWalpurgis 06-18-2014 12:19 PM

Is the sticky plateau at the top or the bottom of the slippery slope?

Garcia Bronco 06-18-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 4128871)
Enough that some groups are making friggin commercials about it. And this is nothing new, the minority has been protesting the redskin name for years.

But again, why hold on to it? What's the benefit? Tradition? C'mon. Its not like people will stop coming to their games or stop being fans. I think the change is inevitable, so we might as well do it, get it over with, so we can stop discussing such a stupid thing

And what I am saying is that's not for you or me to decide. We don't own it. Synder does. I don't care what the call them.

kappys 06-18-2014 12:45 PM

The proper strategy for this should be to start petitioning and smearing corporations that sponsor the Redskins until the name is changed. Free market at work...

ludo21 06-18-2014 12:46 PM

And who is to say that if the Natives can pull off MAKING the redskins change their name that some other minority group, PETA, or something else decides that the Lions, or Broncos or Raiders are "offensive" to them?

Just a thought, its radical to think that this could ever happen, but to me it seems like a gateway that will be forever opened if/when the name change happens.

Dr. Broncenstein 06-18-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 (Post 4128916)
The fact the govt feels the need to get involved with something no one cares about while everything else is falling apart is what bothers people.

The govt can't even do their own jobs right, and they want to tell someone else how to run/name their business?

You must be new to this country. Try running a small business.

ZONA 06-18-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 4128885)
1) Its not a slippery slope. its been done already. The fabric of St Johns University hasnt been ripped to shreds when they changed their name from the Redmen.

2) You dont speak for all native americans. Obviously it bothers a good amount of them. Who cares about a percentage.

3). This is retarded paranoid speak. It's about doing the right thing and showing tolerance. If this were the 1860s, would you be protecting slavery to protect against the "liberal agenda." And no, im not equating this to slavery, but what do you really care if the name is changed???

4). Of course. But i doubt too much energy is really being expended. The only reason we keep hearing about it is because it involves the NFL. Congress has wasted their time with much worse.

I can totally see Tombstone fighting for slavery rights back in 1860 if he was alive then. Not that he's racist, I don't think he is, but more because he would think it would be against the rights of people to own other people, and what business is it of our government to get involved in something like this. I mean, what if a slave owner back then branded his slaves (which they did) and named them, and had paperwork of ownership on them. Hey, I mean, I have a trademark on them, ownership papers, what rights does the government have to say I can't own a slave, lol.

ZONA 06-18-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 4128990)
You must be new to this country. Try running a small business.

I have my own business and things are great. This is a great time to have a small business.

Dr. Broncenstein 06-18-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZONA (Post 4129008)
I have my own business and things are great. This is a great time to have a small business.

Elaborate.

ZONA 06-18-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludo21 (Post 4128989)
And who is to say that if the Natives can pull off MAKING the redskins change their name that some other minority group, PETA, or something else decides that the Lions, or Broncos or Raiders are "offensive" to them?

Just a thought, its radical to think that this could ever happen, but to me it seems like a gateway that will be forever opened if/when the name change happens.

We as a people have to have common sense. A lion is the name of an animal. Redskins is not an official name of a people or race. It's a slang derogatory name. Would you be against a team named the Phoenix Wetb_cks? I mean, we have to draw the line somewhere people, this is getting stupid. Can we all just use some common F'n sense here.

baja 06-18-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 4129009)
Elaborate.

He sells beans & rice

Rabb 06-18-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Elaborate.

Playlist Consultant

Dr. Broncenstein 06-18-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabb (Post 4129016)
Playlist Consultant

Soul Man is classic rock. Zepplin is not. Get a brain, moran.

91BRONCO 06-18-2014 01:08 PM

I have Native American blood running through my veins and I don't find the name "Washington Redskins" offensive (unless you are referring to the "Washington" part as another poster mentioned hehe).

There are million other things our government should be concerned with other than this.

baja 06-18-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Elaborate.

He has the contract to print food stamps.

Pick Six 06-18-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 4128852)
It's a tired argument, and I'm not sure what Washington/The NFL is holding on to. Obviously, it bothers people, a lot of people and regardless of whether or not it was intended, it can be seen as offensive. No one will miss it. If you change the name of the team, its not like people will stop watching. Who cares, just change it, sell a buttload of new merch.

I love the idea of calling them the Red Tails. You can honor ww2 african american pilots in a predominant african american league, its a cool namesake, a cool name, would make for a cool logo, and you keep the "red" in the name. Plus, calling them the tails is cool.

"Hail to the RedTails"...

Hmmm...That just might work...

91BRONCO 06-18-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 4129022)
Soul Man is classic rock. Zepplin is not. Get a brain, moran.

Little ironic... lol

LongDongJohnson 06-18-2014 01:11 PM

Keep the name. Shut the cry babies down

Dr. Broncenstein 06-18-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91BRONCO (Post 4129028)
Little ironic... lol

Seriously? It's the oldest meme on the internet.

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/...ain-morans.jpg

bronco militia 06-18-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91BRONCO (Post 4129028)
Little ironic... lol

nothing gets past this guy

ZONA 06-18-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Elaborate.

Steady projects, great pay, no problems. Actually, a software developer I use has finished with a new program that allows for me to make my product better, which in turn is allowing me to charge twice as much as I was previously charging. Just got a new contract all set up with a vendor in CA for over 100 projects at $10K per project (yeah, do the math). Myself and my friend own this business together, takes us about 2 weeks to finish a project. So yeah, I'd say things are great. I'll pull in over $100K annually the next 4 years. What else do I need to elaborate on.

Do you own a business? What issues are you having?

91BRONCO 06-18-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 4129031)

LOL I remember seeing that a while back but forgot about it. Looks like I'm the moran then :thumbs::giggle:

broncocalijohn 06-18-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Large (Post 4128903)
When you systematically kill Native Americans, and the killer trades in the scalps of those murdered for Cash- the "redskin"- maybe its time to think about making a change- do we really want any part of that kind of awfulness, or support its usage to further remind Native Americans today of the decimation of theire people and culture?

This story has been also checked and said this is not where it came from. You can give us that link and there will also be an article debunking it. Indian names have been used for over a century to honor the fierce warrior they were back from the beginning of our country to probably late 1800s. I wouldn't touch anything named after a tribe or just the word "Indian". The word Redskin, offensive or not at one time, is rarely used as a deragotory name except when we put down the bad Redskin football team and not the name or actual Indians.

broncocalijohn 06-18-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 4129031)

Poor guy. He was protesting a congressman or assembly man (near St Louis so he was a Cards fan) and the last name was "Moran". He will always be remembered incorrectly as the ironic sign for "Moron".