The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   War, Religion and Politics Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Will Michael Sam be the 1st Openly Gay NFL player? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=114561)

Miss I. 02-09-2014 06:24 PM

Will Michael Sam be the 1st Openly Gay NFL player?

news on ESPN indicates that Michael Sam,
-American defensive lineman from Missouri Tigers and the Associated Press' SEC Defensive Player of the Year, and elligible to enter the draft his May has already admitted to being gay publicly. If he's drafted by a team, he will be the first in NFL history.

It's interesting and newsworthy. He's projected to a midlevel pick if i read this article correctly. I wonder though in light of all the other bullying in the NFL, how it will work out? At any rate I thought it was newsworthy of its own thread. It didnt come up with anything when I did a search so if this is a duplicate please do merge mods.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?s...0&i=FB&w=1dq47

Pony Boy 02-09-2014 06:29 PM

I wouldn't want to see that side-show come to Denver

Jay3 02-09-2014 06:34 PM

Plus I think if he's gay that's supposed to mean he's a pansy. So he would not be a good football player.

Miss I. 02-09-2014 06:38 PM

I wonder how good a player he is? has anyone here ever seen him play? I don't really watch college football so I don't know. If he's good it won't matter, though yes I expect the circus will come to town wherever he goes. it will be highly scrutinized that's for certain.

Jay3 02-09-2014 06:39 PM

He's a very good player, All American and SEC Defensive player of the year.

WolfpackGuy 02-09-2014 06:47 PM

Cost himself some serious money.

I can see Kiper's head exploding discussing this topic ad nauseum during the draft.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 02-09-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss I. (Post 4057371)
I wonder how good a player he is? has anyone here ever seen him play? I don't really watch college football so I don't know. If he's good it won't matter, though yes I expect the circus will come to town wherever he goes. it will be highly scrutinized that's for certain.

Ask Kerry Rhodes if it matters or not.

SonOfLe-loLang 02-09-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pony Boy (Post 4057366)

Sideshow? Classy. I'd be proud to root for him as a bronco. It's sad that this even needs to be considered "brave" but so be it.

IndelibleScribe 02-09-2014 06:52 PM

His draft profile reads "showing the ability to attack off the edge as well as the burst to penetrate through the gaps."
LOL
I was hoping he would fall to us in the 4th round. After this, he might fall to the 5th or maybe he goes high 3rd so that a team can champion their diverse workplace culture.

SouthStndJunkie 02-09-2014 06:53 PM

Michael Sam was projected to be a 3rd/4th round pick before he announced he was gay.

I'll be very interested to see how this all plays out.

Miss I. 02-09-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 (Post 4057382)
Ask Kerry Rhodes if it matters or not.

Poor word choice, but I guess in my mind it shouldnt matter if he's gay, straight, rainbow or whatever as long as he does his job and does it well and doesn't let off field issues (such as pot smoking, date raping and any other a-hole illegal behavior) get in the way. The real world of course does not work this way sadly. I am pulling for him to be successeful and if he is someone who would be of value to our defense it'd be great to get him, attention or not.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 02-09-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 4057384)
Sideshow? Classy. I'd be proud to root for him as a bronco. It's sad that this even needs to be considered "brave" but so be it.

Look at the Olympics or Military. It's a side show no matter where it goes.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 02-09-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss I. (Post 4057390)
Poor word choice, but I guess in my mind it shouldnt matter if he's gay, straight, rainbow or whatever as long as he does his job and does it well and doesn't let off field issues (such as pot smoking, date raping and any other a-hole illegal behavior) get in the way. The real world of course does not work this way sadly. I am pulling for him to be successeful and if he is someone who would be of value to our defense it'd be great to get him, attention or not.

Ya it's just the way things play out. Rhodes would've been lights out better than any safety we have yet they didnt even look his way. My guess is Sam goes Undrafted.

Kid A 02-09-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 4057384)

There will obviously be added media scrutiny, but if he fits their defensive schemes I would be proud of the Broncos if they chose him. This team is as experienced/ready as any for a little added coverage of the pre-season.

Yeah, it's ****ed up that an organization will get a pat on the back simply for choosing the best available player and not discriminating against him, but given the climate of the NFL up to now, the front office that picks him will know they are making a stance of sorts. It would be very easy to choose the guy just beneath him on the draft board and let some other teams deal with ugly emails and being on ESPN all summer.

Mogulseeker 02-09-2014 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pony Boy (Post 4057366)

I really do think the fact that it's coming from a future NFLer rather than an experienced star will taper the media frenzy a bit.

That said... good for him. He might have hurt his draft stock a little but you cant argue that the NFL wont be a better league when gay players can come out openly and it wont be a big deal.

IndelibleScribe 02-09-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert (Post 4057395)
I really do think the fact that it's coming from a future NFLer rather than an experienced star will taper the media frenzy a bit.

That said... good for him. He might have hurt his draft stock a little but you cant argue that the NFL wont be a better league when gay players can come out openly and it wont be a big deal.

The initial storm will go for 3-4 years(when a star player comes out I mean), then people will stop caring.

Kid A 02-09-2014 07:03 PM

FWIW:

CBS has him projected 3rd round: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2014/DE

Walter has him projected 3-5th round:
http://walterfootball.com/draft2014DE.php

Broncos_OTM 02-09-2014 07:07 PM

I could care less about his sexual orientation.

Mogulseeker 02-09-2014 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 4057396)
The initial storm will go for 3-4 years(when a star player comes out I mean), then people will stop caring.

I was thinking more like 2, maybe 3 years.

Mogulseeker 02-09-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM (Post 4057401)
I could care less about his sexual orientation.

I don't mean to be a grammar Nazi, but that always bugs me because it means the exact opposite of what you want it to mean:

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/edu...ldnt-care-less

SpringStein 02-09-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid A (Post 4057394)
There will obviously be added media scrutiny, but if he fits their defensive schemes I would be proud of the Broncos if they chose him. This team is as experienced/ready as any for a little added coverage of the pre-season.

More likely a 3-4 OLB.

El Minion 02-09-2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 (Post 4057391)
Look at the Olympics or Military. It's a side show no matter where it goes.

The side show is not a gays person fault or creation, it's the homophobes and disingenuous heterosexual that create the distraction. Michael Sam is just living is life like any normal individual. Certain people have problems with that, to everyone's detriment.

Brohemoth 02-09-2014 07:18 PM

For supposedly being the most advanced species we sure are dumb for creating issues out of this.

maven 02-09-2014 07:28 PM

11.5 Sacks and 19 tackles for loss. Bring his ass in.

broncocalijohn 02-09-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Minion (Post 4057407)
The side show is not a gays person fault or creation, it's the homophobes and disingenuous heterosexual that create the distraction. Michael Sam is just living is life like any normal individual. Certain people have problems with that, to everyone's detriment.

But knowing about the reaction, he has that choice of coming out to everyone he is gay. It is entirely his choice but it makes easy comments against him. I am not all on Gay life style and such but I don't know how players react to it. If we draft him, I care more about how he plays and how good is he as a teammate. If players don't have an issue with it in the locker room then the only thing to be worried about his the easy target from other fans. Win the SB or he kicks ass and that will wipe the gay comments all away.

One thing I won't be is jumping all over his twitter account or such. Then again, I don't do that for anyone.