PDA

View Full Version : Robert Ayers = Jarvis Moss

LittleFloyd
09-13-2011, 10:59 AM
He can't play. Another wasted 1st rounder.

TheDave
09-13-2011, 11:01 AM
and sadly he is still the best player from the 2009 draft class...

schaaf
09-13-2011, 11:05 AM
He can't play. Another wasted 1st rounder.

I don't agree with this, I thought he had an alright game last night. He had a lot of pressure on passing downs and on runs he did a good job of stringing the play out but I don't know how many times Joe Mays completely overpursued.

We had a lot of problems last night, but once again Robert Ayers wasn't one of them.

schaaf
and also you must have forgotten how bad Jarvis Moss was for the Broncos.

Quoydogs
I thought he looked fine last night. I think he will turn out to be a really good player. He almost took one of the Raiders heads off last night. Might be homerizm but I'm haven't given up hope.

Drek
09-13-2011, 11:06 AM
I honestly didn't think Ayers had that bad of a game. He had some solid pressures where he was held, did ok in the run for having massive holes to his sides.

He is never going to look good as long as we refuse to put quality DTs next to him. Without Doom opposite him he looks even worse though.

TheReverend
09-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Jarvis Moss with opportunities lol

McDman
09-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Ayers isn't terrible, Moss was an abomination.

And he is not the best player out of that draft, if Moreno has any sort of blocking he will be ok.

Traveler
09-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Speaking of Moss, did anyone else see him talking and gesturing like he actually contributed to the OAK win last night?

TheDave
09-13-2011, 11:35 AM

And he is not the best player out of that draft, if Moreno has any sort of blocking he will be ok.

Every year I keep hearing moreno will be OK...

...Still waiting

Dagmar
09-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Yeah, this is retarded.

Drek
09-13-2011, 11:41 AM

...Still waiting
Looked pretty good when he had room to work on receptions last night.

He's got some moves, he just needs the chance to do something with it.

Traveler
09-13-2011, 11:47 AM
While I begged to differ at the time, Gil Brandt said last year that with the number of high draft picks Denver had the past two seasons, Denver failed (miserably) to capitalize on the talent available to them.

4 #1's and 4 #2's. Still a touch early to pass final judgement, but long enough to know we didn't provide the beginning of a solid foundation to rebuild this once proud franchise.

TheDave
09-13-2011, 11:50 AM

A couple of plays a game from our starting RB just isn't good enough...

As fans I think we need to set our sights higher

Kaylore
09-13-2011, 11:51 AM
What sucks about that is when you blow your picks it makes you worse, not the same, because usually other areas get worse, and in our case we traded players away. I'm still not upset about everything we gave away, but I am pissed about wasting what we got. Jack and the Beanstalk except the beans were really deer pellets.

WolfpackGuy
09-13-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm sure glad they got all those picks!

Works in Madden, right?

Kaylore
09-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Ayers isn't Moss bad.

Rohirrim
09-13-2011, 11:56 AM
While I begged to differ at the time, Gil Brandt said last year that with the number of high draft picks Denver had the past two seasons, Denver failed (miserably) to capitalize on the talent available to them.

4 #1's and 4 #2's. Still a touch early to pass final judgement, but long enough to know we didn't provide the beginning of a solid foundation to rebuild this once proud franchise.

I won't bring up the player we wasted three picks on. ;D

TonyR
09-13-2011, 11:56 AM
...if Moreno has any sort of blocking he will be ok.

Sadly I've come to the conclusion that "o.k." is probably his ceiling...

TheReverend
09-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Ayers isn't Moss bad.

Roughly this point in Moss' career we still had a lil hope for him too

maven
09-13-2011, 11:58 AM

How can you mess up that bad with so many picks is just baffling to me.

maven
09-13-2011, 12:00 PM
I won't bring up the player we wasted three picks on. ;D

I question that pick as well.

McDman
09-13-2011, 12:01 PM

...Still waiting

And every year we've had a fcking terrible offensive line, the guy isn't AP, he isn't going to be able to dominate if he gets hit in the backfield.

WolfpackGuy
09-13-2011, 12:03 PM
He did have a good catch and run.

So good, I thought it was McGahee...

Apparently, his lungs and hammies couldn't handle it.

maven
09-13-2011, 12:04 PM
And every year we've had a fcking terrible offensive line, the guy isn't AP, he isn't going to be able to dominate if he gets hit in the backfield.

Broke dick is broke dick. If he runs for 9 yards, he comes off the field with a broke vag.

broncocalijohn
09-13-2011, 12:12 PM

Saw him dancing behind the line again. He seems to be really good on 3rd down and he is in a wideout position (or catches one from the backfield). For a #14 pick, I want to see much more. OL doesn't help the situation in many cases.

ZONA
09-13-2011, 12:14 PM
I don't see how somebody can come in here and start a topic on how Ayers sucks instead of how bad Hill sucks. He couldn't tackle a blown up doll. Watching Champ make some of those tackles he did from a CB spot and then you watch Hill hit a guy, fail to wrap up, slip off and fall to the ground as the WR/TE/RB continues upfield with Hill laying on the ground behind them. That's why 1 guy goes to the probowl every year and the other is considered stop gap.

Inkana7
09-13-2011, 12:32 PM
I don't see how somebody can come in here and start a topic on how Ayers sucks instead of how bad Hill sucks. He couldn't tackle a blown up doll. Watching Champ make some of those tackles he did from a CB spot and then you watch Hill hit a guy, fail to wrap up, slip off and fall to the ground as the WR/TE/RB continues upfield with Hill laying on the ground behind them. That's why 1 guy goes to the probowl every year and the other is considered stop gap.

Who is Hill? Renaldo Hill was cut.

HILife
09-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Saw him dancing behind the line again. He seems to be really good on 3rd down and he is in a wideout position (or catches one from the backfield). For a #14 pick, I want to see much more. OL doesn't help the situation in many cases.

it was #12, so we are good.

broncocalijohn
09-13-2011, 12:52 PM
it was #12, so we are good.

If he was #214 pick, then we are good. You just made me feel worse.

chrisp
09-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Jarvis Moss never started and never really did anything for us at all. Ayers is actually a solid starter and the least of our worries on the d-line.

I think the problem, however, is that he was picked a little above his level. D-ends and OLBs picked in the first round have to be able to get to the passer. the guy got something like 3 sacks in his best college year!! Guys who get sacks in college don't always get them in the pros, but guys who don't get sacks in college definitely don't get them in the pros.

But overall I think the guy is fundamentally sound. He gets pressure, I think he's just a step slow to actually get to the QB. He's a solid, run-stuffing d-end, he'll just never, ever have a 10-sack-plus season

However, if we had drafted the guy in the 2nd or 3rd we'd probably be Ok with his contribution. 4th or below and he'd be a steal. Do NOT compare him with Moss, who history tells us was a bona fide bust.....

TheReverend
09-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Who is Hill? Renaldo Hill was cut.

He means Goodman, the other Miami DB pick up that can't play football.

Eldorado
09-13-2011, 03:09 PM

I'm officially on the 'Goodman sux' bandwagon. That was horrible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Ayers play inside some last night?

TheReverend
09-13-2011, 03:13 PM

You are correct sir. You'll see it semi commonly on both pass rushing downs and when Miller is playing up on the line.

DHallblows
09-13-2011, 03:17 PM

It's an understandable mixup

24champ
09-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Goodman can't tackle, dude got dragged around the field.

Rolandftw
09-13-2011, 05:24 PM

No one doubts that Moreno is one of the better receiving RB's. That's not his problem. His problem is that he's neither fast nor big enough to be an effective between the tackles HB. It doesn't help him that he plays on one of the worse run blocking lines in the NFL.

He's a very poor man's Reggie Bush. That can't return punts or kickoffs.

Bob's your Information Minister
09-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Robert Ayers, Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder......the beat goes on!

Rolandftw
09-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Ayers has a nastiness to him at times that borderlines on stupidity. He's a decent DL, but no where near what the Broncos thought he could be at pick #18 in the draft. Basically, the 2009 draft is probably the Broncos worst draft ever. Hoodie Jr, had a good draft in 2010 though.

PRBronco
09-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Goodman can't tackle, dude got dragged around the field.

I'm not sure he's strong enough to hang on and be dragged tbh.

PRBronco
09-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Ayers has a nastiness to him at times that borderlines on stupidity. He's a decent DL, but no where near what the Broncos thought he could be at pick #18 in the draft. Basically, the 2009 draft is probably the Broncos worst draft ever. Hoodie Jr, had a good draft in 2010 though.

I see your 2009 and raise you a 2003 http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/denver-broncos/draft/2003

WolfpackGuy
09-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Basically, the 2009 draft is probably the Broncos worst draft ever.

Yep.

Two average guys in the first round who probably wouldn't be starting on most teams, and three second round reaches who are no longer with the team.

Pretty chitty return on 5 picks in the first 64.

Rolandftw
09-13-2011, 05:46 PM
I see your 2009 and raise you a 2003 http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/denver-broncos/draft/2003

I guess it just comes down to expectations. They didn't get much from the 2003 draft obviously, although Foster was a decent tackle for a couple seasons.

But Broncos fans had high hopes that they could really rebuild the defense with 4 first rounders over a two year period of time. Not only did Hoodie Jr, target players that seem to be mediocre at best but he impacted their 2010 draft in losing the #14th pick to Seattle in the process.

iforgotmypassword
09-13-2011, 05:56 PM
The 09 and 10 1st round draft picks are the reason were a bottom feeding team right now. Heres our picks, and the picks picked immidiately after us.

09 1a. Knowshon Moreno - Brian Orakpo - Malcolm Jenkins - Brian Cushing
09 1b. Robert Ayers - Jeremy Maclin - Brandon Pettigrew - Alex Mack - Percy Harvin - Michael Oher

10 1a. Demaryius Thomas -Bryan Bulaga - Dez Bryant
10 1b. Tim Tebow - Dan Williams - Devin McCourty

Not to mention Earl Thomas who coulda been ours at 14.

Theres always gonna be some busts in drafts.... but McDanials killed a great shot at building a very strong core of a football team.

Give this team Brian Orakpo-Michael Oher-Dez Bryant-Dan Williams-Earl Thomas and you have a young core....

iforgotmypassword
09-13-2011, 05:57 PM
and give us Peyton Hillis while you're at it too.

broncosteven
09-13-2011, 07:42 PM
I have to admit I like Ayers better at DE better than at LB.

He was not explosive as a LB in the 3-4 and he had 1 move beside power rush.

Oddly I have noticed that this year in this D teams are doubleteaming him and yet he is still getting penetration. He can set the edge well and keep teams from going wide on us so there is that...

His plus is that he is an above avg run stuffer but below avg pass rusher. If we picked him lower I wouldn't be as hard on him. If you pick a guy in the 1st round he should be quality, at least Ayers is starting and contributing, Moss couldn't do that.

broncosteven
09-13-2011, 07:43 PM
The 09 and 10 1st round draft picks are the reason were a bottom feeding team right now. Heres our picks, and the picks picked immidiately after us.

09 1a. Knowshon Moreno - Brian Orakpo - Malcolm Jenkins - Brian Cushing
09 1b. Robert Ayers - Jeremy Maclin - Brandon Pettigrew - Alex Mack - Percy Harvin - Michael Oher

10 1a. Demaryius Thomas -Bryan Bulaga - Dez Bryant
10 1b. Tim Tebow - Dan Williams - Devin McCourty

Not to mention Earl Thomas who coulda been ours at 14.

Theres always gonna be some busts in drafts.... but McDanials killed a great shot at building a very strong core of a football team.

Give this team Brian Orakpo-Michael Oher-Dez Bryant-Dan Williams-Earl Thomas and you have a young core....

I would have much rather had Dan Williams than reaching for Timbo, at least Dan would have been in a rotation, Tim is just warming a bench.

**** mCd!

Maximus
09-13-2011, 08:17 PM

...Still waiting

He's a knowShow

DENVERDUI55
09-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Robert Ayers, Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder......the beat goes on!

I'll raise you a Ryan Sims, Glen Dorsey, Ty Jackson, Junior Savii. I'm sure there are plenty more I'm missing.

TheChamp24
09-13-2011, 09:20 PM

* WR Demaryius Thomas (1st Round, 22nd overall) - injured often and still a work in progress
* QB Tim Tebow (1st Round, 25th overall) - backup who a lot think will never be a NFL QB, some think he could blossom
* OL Zane Beadles – (2nd Round, 45th overall) - probably wouldn't be starting on a lot of teams
* C J.D. Walton – (3rd Round, 80th overall) - most definitely wouldn't be starting on a lot of teams, I just don't see much in him
* WR Eric Decker – (3rd Round, 87th overall) (from Philadelphia) - shows promise, but so did Darius Watts
* CB Perrish Cox – (5th Round, 137th overall) (from Philadelphia via Cleveland) - cut
* C Eric Olsen – (6th Round, 183rd overall) - cut
* CB Syd’quan Thompson - (7th, 225th overall) - IR
* DE/OLB Jammie Kirlew – (7th, 232rd overall) - cut

We got an often injured work in progress WR, a backup QB who's a project, two below average OL starters, a promising WR and IMO at best secondary depth in Squid.

broncosteven
09-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Broke dick is broke dick. If he runs for 9 yards, he comes off the field with a broke vag.

KM should be a 3rd down back used for either screens or to pick up blitzes.

KM is never going to be an elite back, unless we play KFC every game.

DENVERDUI55
09-13-2011, 09:35 PM
KM = Kevin Faulk

BroncoLover
09-13-2011, 09:40 PM

That one play from the end zone which campbell threw, if that way little inside.. that 6 all the way. good for goodman, the receiver had to go out after catching.. he was clear 2-3 steps behind. Add me to that bandwagon.

BroncoLover
09-13-2011, 09:43 PM

You don't even know who plays on this team and you are giving out comments. First you need to learn to watch properly... playing a game is not even in your blood, once you figure out how to watch, then start posting some useful comments.

PRBronco
09-13-2011, 09:44 PM
I guess it just comes down to expectations. They didn't get much from the 2003 draft obviously, although Foster was a decent tackle for a couple seasons.

But Broncos fans had high hopes that they could really rebuild the defense with 4 first rounders over a two year period of time. Not only did Hoodie Jr, target players that seem to be mediocre at best but he impacted their 2010 draft in losing the #14th pick to Seattle in the process.

It was the first year of a rebuild with a new coach and the franchise QB had just revealed himself to be a transexual who couldn't cope with change. I would say Shanahan had MUCH higher expectations year to year than McD did that year. With Shanny I think it's safe to say we all believed we were just a couple playmakers on defense away from being a playoff team every year.

And Foster had exactly zero decent seasons.

DHallblows
09-13-2011, 09:54 PM
You don't even know who plays on this team and you are giving out comments. First you need to learn to watch properly... playing a game is not even in your blood, once you figure out how to watch, then start posting some useful comments.

Yeah, what the annoying, new douche said

orinjkrush
09-14-2011, 07:29 AM
How can you mess up that bad with so many picks is just baffling to me.

easy. the scouting-player evaluation PROCESS is totally FUBARRED.

someone should go intern with the Packers or Ravens or Steelers.

fontaine
09-14-2011, 08:46 AM
But overall I think the guy is fundamentally sound. He gets pressure, I think he's just a step slow to actually get to the QB.

That's being very kind. I've seen DT's with a quicker first step/explosion than Ayers. I said as much in his first season and was roundly criticized here.

He'll get better with experience, no doubt, but no amount of experience can give you a lightning quick first step.

Rolandftw
09-14-2011, 04:52 PM
It was the first year of a rebuild with a new coach and the franchise QB had just revealed himself to be a transexual who couldn't cope with change. I would say Shanahan had MUCH higher expectations year to year than McD did that year. With Shanny I think it's safe to say we all believed we were just a couple playmakers on defense away from being a playoff team every year.

And Foster had exactly zero decent seasons.

With Shanahan, there were high expectations of the team every year BUT I was referring to draft expectations. Maybe I'm wrong, but I had higher expectations from the 2009 and 2010 drafts then I think any Shanahan draft.

Wasn't saying Foster was great, but he did start for 2-3 seasons right? Think he's at least on par with Ayers, unless something changes in his game.

ozomulsion
09-14-2011, 04:55 PM
A couple of plays a game from our starting RB just isn't good enough...

As fans I think we need to set our sights higher

Did you see our blocking? McGahee couldn't do sh*t either. KM excels in the I formation, yet we were in the shot-gun almost every play. He ran very good out of the I in preseason. I didn't understand much of what I saw of our formations in that game.

DENVERDUI55
10-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Wow how far have we come. Its funny that we all feel like we need Big Bob to rush the passer now. This thread is a good reread.

RhymesayersDU
10-10-2013, 09:47 AM
The "who should we have taken instead of Demaryius" talk is hilarious.

TheReverend
10-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Glad Ayers has been productive so far this season, admittedly scared that it might be because it's a contract year.

Tombstone RJ
10-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Glad Ayers has been productive so far this season, admittedly scared that it might be because it's a contract year.

exactly, and yes, I called it lol!

TheChamp24
10-10-2013, 10:39 AM

I mean, he was injured his rookie year. The following year battled injuries and of course Orton/Tebow throwing him the ball. Finally last year he showed potential of an elite WR, and backing that up this year.

DENVERDUI55
10-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Finally last year he showed potential of an elite WR, and backing that up this year.

He showed his skills his second year in the league and he backed it up last year.

DarkHorse30
10-10-2013, 11:38 AM

DT is ridiculously good - and WITHOUT attitude (you never see him trash talking - he just makes nearly every catch tossed his way, and smiles - like in his commercial).

I'd take Demarius over Dez Bryant all day, every day

TheReverend
10-10-2013, 11:41 AM
DT is ridiculously good - and WITHOUT attitude (you never see him trash talking - he just make nearly every catch tossed his way, and smiles - like in his commercial).

I'd take Demarius over Dez Bryant all day, every day

I like DT better (mostly because he's ours), but I haven't seen Dez have an attitude in quite some time.

TheChamp24
10-10-2013, 11:45 AM
He showed his skills his second year in the league and he backed it up last year.

Okay, playing in 11 games, catching 32 passes for 551 yards and 4 TD's plus 10 catches for 297 yards and 1 TD in the 2 postseason games. He hadn't brought up elite status yet, then last year he really shined.

theAPAOps5
10-10-2013, 11:47 AM
exactly, and yes, I called it lol!

No, Med called it really.

Quoydogs
10-10-2013, 01:12 PM
I thought he looked fine last night. I think he will turn out to be a really good player. He almost took one of the Raiders heads off last night. Might be homerizm but I'm haven't given up hope.

BOOM

DENVERDUI55
10-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Okay, playing in 11 games, catching 32 passes for 551 yards and 4 TD's plus 10 catches for 297 yards and 1 TD in the 2 postseason games. He hadn't brought up elite status yet, then last year he really shined.

In the second half of the year only Calvin had more recieving yards that DT. Then he blew up in the playoffs.

Johnykbr
10-10-2013, 01:51 PM
I like DT better (mostly because he's ours), but I haven't seen Dez have an attitude in quite some time.

Dez has quieted down quite a bit but I think that may also have to do with his team assigned babysitters to keep him out of trouble.

With that said though, they are very similar talent-wise but DT has a slight edge with blocking IMO. We would be lucky to have either one but I am happy with DT now.

lolcopter
10-10-2013, 04:00 PM
jfc the retarded bumps on this forum the **** man

Requiem
10-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Sup Coptah? SUP DUDE!

lolcopter
10-10-2013, 04:09 PM
sup brah

just a bunch of gloating itt i guess. ****ing awesome

McDman
10-10-2013, 04:45 PM

Ayers had a tough time with his work ethic here at UT as well. It took him some time to come into his own. Maybe it is the same thing with pros.

Edit. I now have 4k posts!!!!

McDman
10-10-2013, 04:49 PM
I love DT but Dez is so sick

ZONA
10-10-2013, 05:42 PM
I love when you read through a thread titled about Ayers and it's mostly about DT and Moreno. People can't stay on topic these days, lol.

TheReverend
10-10-2013, 05:48 PM
I love when you read through a thread titled about Ayers and it's mostly about DT and Moreno. People can't stay on topic these days, lol.

Ever.

Broncos_OTM
10-10-2013, 06:12 PM
You knew this bump was coning

pricejj
10-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Big Bob hasn't had this many sacks since high school.

must be the beard.

fontaine
10-11-2013, 10:53 AM
According to PFF, Robert Ayers is in the top 15 at his position in pass rush productivity.

Same with Phillips at his OLB position.

*WARHORSE*
10-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Really?

We're in the middle of a fantastic run and we're bumping threads like this?

wow.

crush17
10-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Elvis Dumervil: 3 total sacks, 4 total tackles for loss.

Less than both Ayers and Phillips.

DENVERDUI55
10-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Really?

wow.

Yes we are and you even took the time to post in it.

DENVERDUI55
10-11-2013, 11:18 AM

I wonder how the salaries compare too.

Beantown Bronco
10-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Really?

wow.

Yup. I've noticed quite a bit of the "call out" bumps this season. There is a vocal minority here that can't sit back and be happy with what is happening on the field....as hard as that may be to believe, given the potential history we are witnessing.

Time to eat our own. Seems to be our MO when we not only keep winning, but guys like Knowshon that are typically the Mane's designated whipping boy are performing well.

crush17
10-11-2013, 11:20 AM
I wonder how the salaries compare too.

Ayers and Phillips are each making about 1 million this season.

fontaine
10-11-2013, 12:29 PM

Dumervil - 199 snaps
Phillips - 242 snaps
Ayers - 218 snaps

2KBack
10-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Dumervil - 199 snaps
Phillips - 242 snaps
Ayers - 218 snaps

with the highest percentage of snaps being passing downs since he is used as a pass rush specialist. Ayers mostly plays run downs making his more impressive in my opinion

Requiem
10-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Dumervil - 199 snaps
Phillips - 242 snaps
Ayers - 218 snaps

So basically we are getting two quality contributors for a fraction of the price who see the field more than Elvis would have as an individual defender? NICE.

crush17
10-11-2013, 12:48 PM
So basically we are getting two quality contributors for a fraction of the price who see the field more than Elvis would have as an individual defender? NICE.

Thank you John Elway