PDA

View Full Version : Eric Berry done for the year

Dagmar
09-12-2011, 12:39 PM
The Kansas City Chiefs have lost safety Eric Berry for the season with a torn ACL, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Itís another huge blow to a reeling Chiefs team that has already suffered injuries to other key young players.

Berry was hurt at the start of the game against the Bills on a block the Chiefs felt was illegal and worthy of league discipline.

The fifth overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, Berry started all 16 games for the Chiefs as rookie, earning a Pro Bowl nod.Shame, he's a good player, cheap, cheap shot too.

HILife
09-12-2011, 12:39 PM
A

OBF1
09-12-2011, 12:41 PM
There is going to be alot more competition in the Andrew Luck derby than first thought.

PRBronco
09-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Ouch. Didn't see the shot, who hit him?

Houshyamama
09-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Never like to see a good player go down with an injury, hope he recovers fully so he can lose to us with honor.

DaFace
09-12-2011, 12:47 PM

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DDaKiDMqZz4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DDaKiDMqZz4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Bob's your Information Minister
09-12-2011, 12:48 PM
He will be ours. :strong:

http://www.gridirongenerals.com/images/NCAA/PAC10/Stanford-Cardinal/Andrew-Luck/andrew-luck.jpg

Dagmar
09-12-2011, 12:49 PM

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DDaKiDMqZz4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KCStud
09-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Wow the rookie class that helped us so much last year now lost 2 of its best players.

It's gonna be a long year for us Chiefs fans.

PRBronco
09-12-2011, 12:51 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DDaKiDMqZz4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DDaKiDMqZz4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Gallery-esque. By the guy who thinks God follows him on twitter.

crush17
09-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Didnt look too bad but you hate to see a player like that go down so early in the season.

Kaylore
09-12-2011, 12:54 PM
That sucks. I still don't think he was trying to hurt him, just neutralize the safety on an iso run, but still it sucks.

beanerbronco
09-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Legal hit but cheap shot nonetheless.
I'm sure that if Berry hadn't been injured there'd be no fuss about it---kind of like Burres' hit on Jemkins last night. Anybody see that one?

Smiling Assassin27
09-12-2011, 12:55 PM
i find it ironic that stevie johnson did this and yet he was the same guy picking a fight with rahim moore over his preseason hit.

i dunno, it looked an awful like the clip that foster did on jamaal williams a few years back.

Rolandftw
09-12-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't get how Stevie Johnson could be that upset at Rahim Moore's hit, yet he's okay doing a blindside cut block.

There's no guarantee Luck will even come out after this season. What happens if Stanford loses in the national championship game (to Boise State, haha), and he comes back for his senior season? KC will be bad, but not #1 pick in the NFL bad.

Tough loss for the Chiefs, and I feel for Berry as he seems like a genuinely cool dude.

gyldenlove
09-12-2011, 01:00 PM
That is a cheap shot and a half, he comes from behind dives head first directly at the knee.

vancejohnson82
09-12-2011, 01:00 PM
its not cheap...an unneccessary block, maybe...but it happens

that sucks...I like Berry, just not his uniform

tebowisdabomb
09-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Looks like what the Donks have been doing for years to me.

maven
09-12-2011, 01:01 PM
not a tear shed

ROFL!

illbroncsfn
09-12-2011, 01:03 PM
unfortunate- Berry is a player

Ray Finkle
09-12-2011, 01:04 PM
not dirty but not clean either. That being said, I am shocked he blew out his ACL on that one.

WolfpackGuy
09-12-2011, 01:08 PM
He must've gotten hit just right.

It's not like his foot was planted because he sensed the cut coming and elevated slightly.

Weird.

Pick Six
09-12-2011, 01:14 PM
The play was away from the ball. The defender could have just shoved him out of the way. The league needs to take a look at that...

HorseHead
09-12-2011, 01:15 PM
great player...a beast..

hate the team, love the playa..

looking forward to watching our "safety" pups tonight....

Rock Chalk
09-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Didn't they make a rule about blocks like that away from the ball?

KCStud
09-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Nate Kaeding out for the year with a knee injury too.
This lockout has had a terrible effect on teams. ST's are worse than ever and injuries are happening all over the place and it's only week 2.

Rock Chalk
09-12-2011, 01:20 PM
This lockout has had a terrible effect on teams. ST's are worse than ever and injuries are happening all over the place and it's only week 2.

ITs Week 1 dude.

bronco militia
09-12-2011, 01:21 PM

The big injuries happen every week and the Chargers special teams have been sucking for years.

gyldenlove
09-12-2011, 01:22 PM
The play was away from the ball. The defender could have just shoved him out of the way. The league needs to take a look at that...

I bet the reason he didn't block him the right was that he knew it would be a block in the back and he would be flagged so he decided to go for the knee instead.

orange&blue87
09-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Just another example of what a sad state nfl defenses are in now. Defense's aren't really allowed to touch players, yet blocks like that are still legal. In a bit of irony, when a KC db took out Brady with a low hit, the league was up in arms.

Chief or not, I never want to see good players go down like that.

Paul Finebaum PWNS!
09-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I don't see how it's a dirty play. Berry can make the tackle on that run play if the RB breaks into the second level.

KCStud
09-12-2011, 01:25 PM
The big injuries happen every week and the Chargers special teams have been sucking for years.

It's not just the Chargers. The Saints and Packers gave up 100+ yards returns and the Seahawks gave up 2 Ted Ginn returns in less than a minute.

Paul Finebaum PWNS!
09-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Looks like what the Donks have been doing for years to me.

You do understand this is football right?

Paul Finebaum PWNS!
09-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Just another example of what a sad state nfl defenses are in now. Defense's aren't really allowed to touch players, yet blocks like that are still legal. In a bit of irony, when a KC db took out Brady with a low hit, the league was up in arms.

Chief or not, I never want to see good players go down like that.

It's unfortunate. I have been a huge Berry fan since his freshman year at Tennessee. But I don't see anything wrong with the block though. It's good, hard football.

Agamemnon
09-12-2011, 01:30 PM

So you think Nate Kaeding's injury is the result of no OTAs and being out of shape? You do know he's a kicker right?

OBF1
09-12-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't get how Stevie Johnson could be that upset at Rahim Moore's hit, yet he's okay doing a blindside cut block.

There's no guarantee Luck will even come out after this season. What happens if Stanford loses in the national championship game (to Boise State, haha), and he comes back for his senior season? KC will be bad, but not #1 pick in the NFL bad.
Tough loss for the Chiefs, and I feel for Berry as he seems like a genuinely cool dude.

You did not watch the game yesterday... They were owned by Buffalo at home. Yes, they are that bad.

OBF1
09-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Also, Luck will come out this year. He is on scheduel to graduate in February (Spring) 2012, which is a huge reason he chose to stay in school instead of entering the draft. With his degree in hand, it will not matter if he has a national championship as well.

Kaylore
09-12-2011, 01:37 PM
You did not watch the game yesterday... They were owned by Buffalo at home. Yes, they are that bad.

/raises hand

What if Buffalo is half decent this year? I mean so far they've played the Chiefs and that's it. Hardly a barometer one way or the other on their quality.

OBF1
09-12-2011, 01:42 PM
/raises hand

What if Buffalo is half decent this year? I mean so far they've played the Chiefs and that's it. Hardly a barometer one way or the other on their quality.

Yes Mrs Kupe.......

You can out your hand down. Let's say Buffalo is HALF decent, That still makes the squaws blowout loss at home an indicator of how bad they are bound to be this year. Thomas Jones is like 50 this year and Charles will not be able to handle a full load at RB. Bowe will also be covered alot different this year and with their TE riding the IR, they are going to be that bad.

Smiling Assassin27
09-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Also, Luck will come out this year. He is on scheduel to graduate in February (Spring) 2012, which is a huge reason he chose to stay in school instead of entering the draft. With his degree in hand, it will not matter if he has a national championship as well.

Yup, with that Stanford degree in hand, he'll have no problem getting that entry level position with Enterprise Rent A Car. :rofl:

OBF1
09-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Yup, with that Stanford degree in hand, he'll have no problem getting that entry level position with Enterprise Rent A Car. :rofl:

With a degree in architectural design from Stanford, he might be designing multi billion dollar high rised in Dubai or China.

Agamemnon
09-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Yes Mrs Kupe.......

You can out your hand down. Let's say Buffalo is HALF decent, That still makes the squaws blowout loss at home an indicator of how bad they are bound to be this year. Thomas Jones is like 50 this year and Charles will not be able to handle a full load at RB. Bowe will also be covered alot different this year and with their TE riding the IR, they are going to be that bad.

To be fair the Chiefs got blown out big time by a 4-12 team as well. The Broncos.

Still they are probably going to suck pretty bad. They certainly look to be the worst team in the division all things considered.

Smiling Assassin27
09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
With a degree in architectural design from Stanford, he might be designing multi billion dollar high rised in Dubai or China.

Or pushing REALLY hard for me to take the optional damage waiver.

Traveler
09-12-2011, 01:51 PM

http://www.gridirongenerals.com/images/NCAA/PAC10/Stanford-Cardinal/Andrew-Luck/andrew-luck.jpg

Giving up on your season already?

OBF1
09-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Or pushing REALLY hard for me to take the optional damage waiver.

LMAO.... you win :rofl:

Rolandftw
09-12-2011, 01:54 PM
I think the Bills will have a much improved season this year. Not really convinced on the Jets being an elite team, as they've been at best an average offense with a great defense. Wouldn't shock me to see Buffalo go 8-8 or better.

Not only might the Bills be better then expected, but they have a coach that's very familiar with Haley's offensive tendencies who has basically owned the Chiefs offense the last two times they have played. If I were a Chiefs fan I wouldn't be worried by that as much as I would be by the turnovers, by the terrible safety play, overall lack of pass rush, and KC's questionable offensive game plan to not run the ball more.

I'm not saying KC is going to be good, they likely will be pretty bad but I think they'll win enough games to put them out of the hunt for Andrew Luck. Indianapolis is just as bad as KC if not worse, this year--Minnesota is terrible at QB, and KC usually manages to split with us and Oakland. Hope this year that is not the case, but I'm not expecting a win in Arrowhead yet. They'll get 4-6 wins and that will likely be too much.

bendog
09-12-2011, 01:59 PM
We need Payaton to get well.

UberBroncoMan
09-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Sucks for Berry. I think Luck will stay another year. Extra polish, plus he happens to hold getting a degree to pretty high importance. He's stated in the past that he wants to do architecture after football. Might as well finish off a degree at Stanford in-case the NFL doesn't work out due to injury or other factors. Personally, I'd stay for a Sr year too. A technical degree like that from a university like Stanford is something you don't want to throw away.

BroncoLover
09-12-2011, 02:09 PM
I think the Bills will have a much improved season this year. Not really convinced on the Jets being an elite team, as they've been at best an average offense with a great defense. Wouldn't shock me to see Buffalo go 8-8 or better.

Not only might the Bills be better then expected, but they have a coach that's very familiar with Haley's offensive tendencies who has basically owned the Chiefs offense the last two times they have played. If I were a Chiefs fan I wouldn't be worried by that as much as I would be by the turnovers, by the terrible safety play, overall lack of pass rush, and KC's questionable offensive game plan to not run the ball more.

I'm not saying KC is going to be good, they likely will be pretty bad but I think they'll win enough games to put them out of the hunt for Andrew Luck. Indianapolis is just as bad as KC if not worse, this year--Minnesota is terrible at QB, and KC usually manages to split with us and Oakland. Hope this year that is not the case, but I'm not expecting a win in Arrowhead yet. They'll get 4-6 wins and that will likely be too much.

Yes Indy was Bad.. just adding peyton back to that team will make them atleast a .500 team. He is that good. So it will not be fair if they get Luck. But seattle, san fran, miami, denver, oakland, KC will for sure be in the race. But the one that got added to the mix after yesterday is StL. I know they drafted a QB.. but they are for sure in this race now. If they lose Bradford, Jackson and Amendola for a good period of time, they will be fighting with Indy (without Peyton). Also one of the other AFC south team jax or ten are going to be in top 10 as well. Looks like a big huge pile decided.

As much as i like Luck, i wish broncos will finish atleast as .500 if not better and get a DT in the first round next year. when all the above teams are fighting for Lucky Luck.

Do you guys think, Luck might pick the team he wants like Eli ? I am sure if he picks it will be 49ers.

zdoor
09-12-2011, 02:16 PM
That sucks. Despite being a Chief, I like the guy...

Beantown Bronco
09-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Might as well finish off a degree at Stanford in-case the NFL doesn't work out due to injury or other factors. Personally, I'd stay for a Sr year too. A technical degree like that from a university like Stanford is something you don't want to throw away.

He's an academic senior. Whether or not he returns to football next year shouldn't matter for his degree. He should have enough credits to graduate in the Spring.

gyldenlove
09-12-2011, 02:32 PM
The irony of Stevie Johnson throwing a dirty hit at a defenseless player after he was all tough-guy after Rahim Moore absolutely snapped Donald Jones in half - just goes to show that some players won't put their money where their mouth is.

orange&blue87
09-12-2011, 02:34 PM
It's unfortunate. I have been a huge Berry fan since his freshman year at Tennessee. But I don't see anything wrong with the block though. It's good, hard football.

The block itself is legal, but my point was that the league has gone over and beyond to limit what a defensive player is allowed to do and they still allow offensive players to do to them what would be a penalty if made by a defensive player. (even if that is only the QB)

I don't like the block. Taking a guy's legs out is a cheap way to block, even if it's legal. If he wants to take Berry out of the play, there's no reason he can't get in front of him and use the upper body. I know it's just my opinion.

elsid13
09-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Sucks for Berry. I think Luck will stay another year. Extra polish, plus he happens to hold getting a degree to pretty high importance. He's stated in the past that he wants to do architecture after football. Might as well finish off a degree at Stanford in-case the NFL doesn't work out due to injury or other factors. Personally, I'd stay for a Sr year too. A technical degree like that from a university like Stanford is something you don't want to throw away.

He will graduate this January, and he is Red-shirt JR (ie. a Senior), so he isn't sticking around another year. Even if NFL doesn't work out, the contract he gets in the 1st round will help him pay for the master's degree he needs to be an architect

broncosteven
09-12-2011, 02:40 PM
/raises hand

If Derrick Johnson keeps letting RB's fight out of tackles and they can't get any pressure out side of Hali it is going to be a long year for them.

It is hard for teams to run a Stoneage Offense and win these days in the NFL, at some point you have to have a QB who can hit an open WR on a deep out or have WR's who catch it when he finally does.

cutthemdown
09-12-2011, 02:43 PM
It wasn't a cheap shot. It's legal to cut block in the open field when you are 1 on 1 with a player. Sometimes players just get injured but Johnsons block was brutal, but legal and clean.

cutthemdown
09-12-2011, 02:44 PM
The block itself is legal, but my point was that the league has gone over and beyond to limit what a defensive player is allowed to do and they still allow offensive players to do to them what would be a penalty if made by a defensive player. (even if that is only the QB)

I don't like the block. Taking a guy's legs out is a cheap way to block, even if it's legal. If he wants to take Berry out of the play, there's no reason he can't get in front of him and use the upper body. I know it's just my opinion.

So really you want even more personal foul rules added to the game. Eventually if people like you get their way it will be flag football. Go watch some soccer or something.

Paul Finebaum PWNS!
09-12-2011, 02:49 PM

No, it's not. Cut blocking is part of football and been in the game forever. It's a legal tactic from the HS ranks to the pros.

A lot of d-linemen are too lazy to move and use the proper techniques that are taught to them to defend against the cut block. They are so spoiled that they want football to be toned down so they can stand on their feet all day. They want their game to be a walk in the park so they can collect their check.

Ball carriers get cut down all the time in the open field. Why doesn't anybody worry about their safety as well?

Lets change the rules of football because some bloody vagina like you can't handle the violence.

Chris
09-12-2011, 02:56 PM
I hope he comes back. Like the guy. Hate the bob.

UberBroncoMan
09-12-2011, 02:56 PM
He's an academic senior. Whether or not he returns to football next year shouldn't matter for his degree. He should have enough credits to graduate in the Spring.

Ah, well he's basically a Senior then. No reason to stay.

boltaneer
09-12-2011, 03:14 PM
No, it's not. Cut blocking is part of football and been in the game forever. It's a legal tactic from the HS ranks to the pros.

A lot of d-linemen are too lazy to move and use the proper techniques that are taught to them to defend against the cut block. They are so spoiled that they want football to be toned down so they can stand on their feet all day. They want their game to be a walk in the park so they can collect their check.

Ball carriers get cut down all the time in the open field. Why doesn't anybody worry about their safety as well?

Lets change the rules of football because some bloody vagina like you can't handle the violence.

You can't block someone low from behind. It's hard to call from the angle on that replay but it looks more behind than to the side.

McDman
09-12-2011, 03:20 PM
As a Tennessee alumni and someone who came in the same time Berry did, it's hard to see this happen.

The guy is pure class and has the best work ethic you could as for. Despite him being a Chief he will always be one of my favorite players.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Gee, that's too bad.

gyldenlove
09-12-2011, 03:30 PM
You can't block someone low from behind. It's hard to call from the angle on that replay but it looks more behind than to the side.

I think from the video it is pretty clear that Berry is running along what looks to be the virtual 3 yard line of the field while Johnson is running on the 5 yard line and then jumps into his knee, that would make it very much a block from behind as they were both moving the same direction and Johnson was clearly catching up to Berry.

Paul Finebaum PWNS!
09-12-2011, 03:52 PM

I see Chargers fans are still butt hurt about Steve Herndon. Isolated incident. Get over it, p***Y.

cutthemdown
09-12-2011, 03:55 PM

Nope you will go 2-14, colts will go 1-15 and you will get a lump of coal. Sorry to ruin it for you but at some point, 2 maybe 3 games or so Charles will win them on his own. I doubt queefs will be anything but worst in the afc west. How quickly your season has turned to bob.

cutthemdown
09-12-2011, 03:56 PM

Hate to burst your bubble but you only have to get your helmet in front of the guy. The way you are trying to determine if it was legal or not tells me you don't know the rule.

cutthemdown
09-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Didnt look too bad but you hate to see a player like that go down so early in the season.

It wasn't bad. His helmet is far enough in front that Berry should have been able to protect himself. It's a borderline open field cut block at worst. There are many many blocks just like that in every game so to single this one out as dirty because they defender got injured is shortsighted.

Even worst it will be a while before Chiefs get to play the bills again. They won't get a chance to avenge this loss for some time.

Que
09-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Damn that sucks. Totally pointless.

Micanopy
09-12-2011, 04:11 PM
He's a good guy. Sorry to see that happened to him, especially from a cheap shot.

Mountain Bronco
09-12-2011, 04:42 PM
I don't see how it's a dirty play. Berry can make the tackle on that run play if the RB breaks into the second level.

This. If the offensive player doesn't make that block and the RB breaks into the second level, the offensive player gets a load of crap in next weeks meetings. That said, it sucks to see a talented player (even a chief) get injured.

cutthemdown
09-12-2011, 04:45 PM
And I know I will take some heat for this, but it's how I feel, I could care less if any player gets injured unless it's on the Broncos or my fantasy team that is for money. Otherwise I am glad to see the Chargers lose Castillo, and the Chiefs lose 2 of their good young players. Football a brutal sport and one of the surest ways to win is to knock the other teams players out of the game.

I'd like to see every one of the Raider players limp off the field tonight.

elsid13
09-12-2011, 04:54 PM

Thank God, the Prophet of Failure just made a prediction. I would hate to watch Luck in ketchup and mustard, and this post just save us from that fact.

DaFace
09-12-2011, 05:00 PM
And I know I will take some heat for this, but it's how I feel, I could care less if any player gets injured unless it's on the Broncos or my fantasy team that is for money. Otherwise I am glad to see the Chargers lose Castillo, and the Chiefs lose 2 of their good young players. Football a brutal sport and one of the surest ways to win is to knock the other teams players out of the game.

I'd like to see every one of the Raider players limp off the field tonight.

The problem with this mentality is that the league as a whole is less exciting when star players get hurt. Sure, it's "fun" when rival teams' players go down, but on the whole, injuries to good players are a bad thing.

orange&blue87
09-12-2011, 05:36 PM
So really you want even more personal foul rules added to the game. Eventually if people like you get their way it will be flag football. Go watch some soccer or something.

I think both of you really missed my point. Defenses in today's game are seriously handcuffed by rules that are completely hypercritical. They get flagged for hitting a defenseless receiver and draw 15 yard flags for looking at a QB the wrong way and it's all in the name of safety, but then defenses have to tiptoe around because offenses are kept to the same standards.

I don't like blocks that take out knees. That doesn't mean I want the game to become any less "violent" than it is. I was just saying that there is a double standard by the league is highly favors the offense.

Inkana7
09-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Didn't they make a rule about blocks like that away from the ball?

Only in college, I think.

Old Dude
09-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Injuries always suck. I don't care who the victim is or how bad I hate their team. Very sorry for Berry & I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

cutthemdown
09-13-2011, 03:01 AM
The problem with this mentality is that the league as a whole is less exciting when star players get hurt. Sure, it's "fun" when rival teams' players go down, but on the whole, injuries to good players are a bad thing.

I disagree again. Some of the most exciting players have gotten chances after a big injury. Bledsoe going down and making way for brady comes to mind.

For every guy that leaves the game, some hungry new player gets into the league.

cutthemdown
09-20-2011, 12:29 AM
I think both of you really missed my point. Defenses in today's game are seriously handcuffed by rules that are completely hypercritical. They get flagged for hitting a defenseless receiver and draw 15 yard flags for looking at a QB the wrong way and it's all in the name of safety, but then defenses have to tiptoe around because offenses are kept to the same standards.

I don't like blocks that take out knees. That doesn't mean I want the game to become any less "violent" than it is. I was just saying that there is a double standard by the league is highly favors the offense.

Alot of people dont know this but the offense can still chop block inside. You just cant do it from more then a position away. So yes the offense can still do tons to defense they cant do to them. I'm already missing the violent nature of the game. Where now you have to not like the big hit because you get a flag. Most likely the hit Atwater made in the Superbowl that took 3 players out of the game including him would now be illegal.

Plus I still don't see less injuries so they aren't making is safer IMO. I guess we need another 5 yrs to know for sure though.

You are right though all the fines will be paid by the defensive players. The good ones will be wanting more money if they get lots of fines. Look at that Philly game, sure Robinson got a fine and flag for that hit on Maclin. But that was Maclin dropping a pass in the 4th quarter with game on the line. Sure Maclin had a huge night but maybe he makes that catch had he not been woozy from having his bell rung up. I can say for sure the coaches happy with his play making that hit.