PDA

View Full Version : Bailey hopes to follow Barber, Woodson footsteps

Drunk Monkey
09-10-2011, 06:22 AM
GLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)óPerennial Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey(notes) didnít want a new team in 2011, just a new challenge.

After signing a four-year, $43 million contract to stay in Denver over the winter, Bailey arrived at training camp and was approached by new defensive coordinator Dennis Allen about also playing nickel back for the Broncos.

Itís something Bailey, 33, had been willing to do for years. Heís seen what that role has meant to Tampa Bayís Ronde Barber(notes) and Green Bayís Charles Woodson(notes).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-bailey

TheReverend
09-10-2011, 07:10 AM
...did somebody say Woodson?

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/WOODSON_PUNCH.gif

McDman
09-10-2011, 07:31 AM
So we're going to free up their number 1 receiver by putting Vaughn on him so Bailey can play their slot guy?

Hmmmm.

maher_tyler
09-10-2011, 09:47 AM
So we're going to free up their number 1 receiver by putting Vaughn on him so Bailey can play their slot guy?

Hmmmm.

I think it gives him more of an opportunity to make plays. Could blitz him or have him there to make a tackle on the RB.

Conklin
09-10-2011, 10:05 AM
I think it gives him more of an opportunity to make plays. Could blitz him or have him there to make a tackle on the RB.

nickel packages are on third down, the #1 guy usually runs a deaper route while they dump it off on a 5-10 yard cross or out to the slot guy...bailey will be covering this!

DENVERDUI55
09-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Dang I was hoping he was going to say win a ring like them.

jutang
09-10-2011, 05:06 PM
In obvious passing situatio,n the Broncos are going bring pressure with Dumervil and Miller. QBs going be looking for the quick out which will often be Bailey's assignment.

DivineLegion
09-10-2011, 06:41 PM

Hmmmm.

No you take away the short read option, and force the QB hold on to the ball a few seconds longer, thus allowing your pass rushers more time to hit the QB before he makes a throw. Ask Clay Matthews how he feels about Charles Woodson covering the slot.

TheReverend
09-10-2011, 06:48 PM
No you take away the short read option, and force the QB hold on to the ball a few seconds longer, thus allowing your pass rushers more time to hit the QB before he makes a throw. Ask Clay Matthews how he feels about Charles Woodson covering the slot.

Slot certainly doesn't = short read option

Very easy to hit a playmaking receiver on a bubble screen or quick slant/come back/out/etc and let him make a play in space at the perimeter of the field with no contain.

iforgotmypassword
09-10-2011, 08:07 PM

Very easy to hit a playmaking receiver on a bubble screen or quick slant/come back/out/etc and let him make a play in space at the perimeter of the field with no contain.

but how much easier is that to gaurd then a shift guy attacking open space?

TheReverend
09-10-2011, 08:28 PM
but how much easier is that to gaurd then a shift guy attacking open space?

The perimeter is more open space... this is just a proximity move of getting Champ closer to the football on any given play. Quite frankly I'm not sure I buy the validity, but if it works we'll probably see more start to pile on Dom Caper's gimmick.

Mogulseeker
09-10-2011, 09:01 PM
nickel packages are on third down, the #1 guy usually runs a deaper route while they dump it off on a 5-10 yard cross or out to the slot guy...bailey will be covering this!

This.

In obvious passing situatio,n the Broncos are going bring pressure with Dumervil and Miller. QBs going be looking for the quick out which will often be Bailey's assignment.

And this.

NUB
09-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Should make for an interesting look. Denver's defense could easily emulate the Packers' when it comes to having pass-rushers zooming in from every angle. I think Denver may end up having quite the Jekyll and Hyde defense this season being potent against the pass and totally flat against the run.

DivineLegion
09-10-2011, 11:21 PM

Even against a bubble screen you have Champ Bailey in position to read the play, shed a block (if necessary), and make an open field tackle. Putting Champ within 5-10 yards of a play means that he will almost assuredly be involved IMHO. Also, giving Champ any sort of zone respectability in the given area of two receivers will make QBs hesitate to throw in the specified direction. I believe with out a shadow of doubt that this is a schematic ploy to allow Champ to utilize his skill sets (i.e. tackling, instinct, and acceleration) in an attempt to cause some degree of hesitation from a QB as he is progressing though his reads so that our pass rushers have an extra fraction of a second if you will, to get to the QB before he make a throw.

TheReverend
09-11-2011, 06:41 AM
Even against a bubble screen you have Champ Bailey in position to read the play, shed a block (if necessary), and make an open field tackle. Putting Champ within 5-10 yards of a play means that he will almost assuredly be involved IMHO. Also, giving Champ any sort of zone respectability in the given area of two receivers will make QBs hesitate to throw in the specified direction. I believe with out a shadow of doubt that this is a schematic ploy to allow Champ to utilize his skill sets (i.e. tackling, instinct, and acceleration) in an attempt to cause some degree of hesitation from a QB as he is progressing though his reads so that our pass rushers have an extra fraction of a second if you will, to get to the QB before he make a throw.

On one side of the field. ...and he's the same distance from that receiver as if he were playing outside.