PDA

View Full Version : QB Depth Chart rumors (locker room info)

Boobs McGee
09-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Couple of quick tidbits for the folks that don't get local sports radio - even though it's small news I thought it was worth posting here vs getting lost in some other cluster **** of a thread.

Vic and Gary in the morning - 102.3 the ticket

Talking about the depth chart controversy that has everyone's panties in a wad. Had an interview with Brady Quinn, and said that THE PLAYERS ALL KNOW who the number two and number three qb's are. Not figuratively, either. Gary asked him the question again, and Quinn told him that he, Orton, and Tebow know exactly what the QB order is. Said that Fox listed it like he did for purposes of competitive advantage, but that the players all know the "officially unofficial" (my words not his) depth chart...and were going to keep it in house (his words not mine).

The other little part that I thought was interesting, was that Gary had talked about the fact that he'd sat down with McD after he was fired, and McD told him to ask him ANYTHING he wanted regarding his tenure with the Broncos. The only thing that was off limits (due to contractual ramifications) was the settlement amount reached between he and the team. Gary didn't go into TOO many specifics, but did say that McD was unfairly blamed for a lot of the draft woes...specifically saying that he didn't act alone for any of it, but was the scapegoat. He also said that more information always comes out during the CBS4 coverage, but it's kind of nonchalant and you have to be paying attention.

ANYWHO, the main thing, is that there is an official depth chart at the QB position, but Fox didn't release it for the simple reason that he feels it gives us a competitive advantage.

Hooray for boobies.

TheReverend
09-09-2011, 09:32 AM
I dont understand wtf that competitive advantage could possibly be now that we carry a third QB active anyway...

Smilin Assassin
09-09-2011, 09:35 AM
I dont understand wtf that competitive advantage could possibly be now that we carry a third QB active anyway...

Eggs Ackley.

Boobs McGee
09-09-2011, 09:35 AM

I don't either, and Gary didn't sound like he gleaned anything from Quinn during the interview (which is going to be available this weekend at some point)

maven
09-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Whose the 2 & 3 QB? I dunno, does it really matter? I think McD was the scapegoat. Who gives a new HC 1.5 seasons to do his work? Anyway, thanks for the info titman

jhns
09-09-2011, 09:37 AM
So are they just waiting for Orton to go down or are they planning on playing multiple QBs a game? It isn't like bringing Tebow in for red zone packages would be something new...

PRBronco
09-09-2011, 09:38 AM

Also now they can't cut anyone or that juicy secret will get out.

Thanks for posting though boobs, i appreciate the local report.

swaiy
09-09-2011, 09:39 AM
There is no competitive advantage. We know why. It would be a complete cluster**** in the media no matter what the order was.

Beantown Bronco
09-09-2011, 09:39 AM

Fox knows the new CBA like Donovan McNabb knows the overtime rules.

Tombstone RJ
09-09-2011, 09:41 AM
It's a competitive advantage because other teams now have to game plan for Orton as the #1 and then a big question mark for the #2. It's not much of an advantage but still, it's an advantage that will help if Orton gets injured.

TheReverend
09-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Fox knows the new CBA like Donovan McNabb knows the overtime rules.

Haha

Also, good to see that Xanders finally gets some blow back in his role in that ****ing disaster the past two years. Amazing he's still at work.

Drek
09-09-2011, 09:52 AM

I'd guess that they figure teams will have some basic game planning for Teebs if he's the #2, whereas with Quinn they'd just focus on Orton, knowing that Orton and Quinn offer similar skill sets.

The only real "competitive advantage" to be gained is if the opponent actually does just shrug their shoulders and ignore our 6'3", 245 pound, freakishly athletic backup QB and then we take advantage of it by having special packages that gets Tebow into the game. Even then the jig would be up after the first time we roll it out.

Seems very dubious to me.

Beantown Bronco
09-09-2011, 10:03 AM
It's a competitive advantage because other teams now have to game plan for Orton as the #1 and then a big question mark for the #2. It's not much of an advantage but still, it's an advantage that will help if Orton gets injured.

But with the new CBA, there's nothing to stop the Broncos from telling the team that one is the #2 and the other is the #3 and then telling the public and the opponent the opposite. There is literally no advantage to staying silent.

WolfpackGuy
09-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Scapegoat, my ass!

McClueless hung himself with his own rope.

He ain't fooling nobody.

TheReverend
09-09-2011, 10:11 AM
I'd guess that they figure teams will have some basic game planning for Teebs if he's the #2, whereas with Quinn they'd just focus on Orton, knowing that Orton and Quinn offer similar skill sets.

The only real "competitive advantage" to be gained is if the opponent actually does just shrug their shoulders and ignore our 6'3", 245 pound, freakishly athletic backup QB and then we take advantage of it by having special packages that gets Tebow into the game. Even then the jig would be up after the first time we roll it out.

Seems very dubious to me.

I'm VERY confident teams will have a basic game plan for Tebow regardless of 2 or 3 because it's likely he'll get used 5-10x in a wildcat.

This whole thing is silly, but completely insignificant imo, so whatever.

DrFate
09-09-2011, 10:23 AM

I doubt defensive coordinators spend a lot of time game-planning for the backup QB....

Ray Finkle
09-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Scapegoat, my ass!

He ain't fooling nobody.

yep....

Tombstone RJ
09-09-2011, 10:54 AM
I doubt defensive coordinators spend a lot of time game-planning for the backup QB....

I agree, but what little time they do spend on it is now just that much more of an issue.

bronco militia
09-09-2011, 10:55 AM
so Mcdummy was framed......who didn't see that coming

BroncosSR
09-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Scapegoat, my ass!

He ain't fooling nobody.

Yep, calling bull****. The buck stopped with him, period.

Time to man up and admit you failed as a head coach/head of football operations.

TheReverend
09-09-2011, 11:08 AM

Time to man up and admit you failed as a head coach/head of football operations.

I didn't take that as him denying it at all.

Point blank: Failing that hard is more than a one man job Ha!

Drek
09-09-2011, 11:20 AM

The buck stopped and still does with Pat Bowlen. He's the one who fired his personal friend because he had too much autonomous power, hired a very young but very successful HC, and then proceeded to tear the training wheels off and shove him down the steepest hill in town.

I like how so many people are now drinking the kool-aid that McDaniels is gone. Ignoring that Ellis is still here, Xanders is still here, we once again ignored the DL in the draft, shat our pants in FA, and watched other teams work the waiver wire while we got a three year vet OT who couldn't break in with the Steelers rag tag OL the last couple years.

Looks like we didn't **** up the #2 overall pick. I'd hope we aren't so wildly inept that we can't find a good player with the 2nd overall selection in the draft. Still see little reason to think this organization has any real clue what they're doing.

Dedhed
09-09-2011, 11:25 AM
My guess is that Orton and Quinn are actually #2 and #3 and the whole QB depth chart is a sham. The competitive advantage comes from starting Tebow. Fingers crossed.

bendog
09-09-2011, 11:29 AM
McDaniels wasn't given enough time to turn this franchise around! And Elway's scapegoating him for going 4-12!!

Hulamau
09-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Its a 'Marketing advantage' to not name Tim #3 if that is where he really is... They calculated a drop in #15 Jersey sales if he is publicly at the bottom of the depth chart, not to mention the large number of Tebow fans who would be irrate ... They are just trying to be politically correct with this little dance.

Ray Finkle
09-09-2011, 11:34 AM
I didn't take that as him denying it at all.

Point blank: Failing that hard is more than a one man job Ha!

unless you're a special man....for example, take a look at the following front office types-> Matt Millen, Isaiah Thomas, Michael Lombardi.....

EmpireOrange
09-09-2011, 11:49 AM
This is not good insider information. This is crap. Stay tuned for real, reliable, and hard-hitting insider info.

Smilin Assassin
09-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I have a feeling, this is going to become common practice around the league.

Panthers | Not naming No. 2 QB for Week 1
Fri, 09 Sep 2011 10:50:40 -0700

Carolina Panthers head coach Ron Rivera said the team will have two quarterbacks active for Week 1 but would not say if QB Derek Anderson or QB Jimmy Clausen will be the second quarterback.

broncocalijohn
09-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Well, if McDaniels said he was the scapegoat of collapsing the franchise, then we should believe him! He might be partially correct on the first draft (FO should have seen what his draft plan was or was not) but everything else seemed to be on himself.

Beantown Bronco
09-09-2011, 12:15 PM
It's really not that hard to find the quotes from around the 2009 and 2010 drafts and FA periods when it was clearly confirmed that no decisions were made by McD alone, that Xanders and others had just as much say, etc. I find it funny that they started to pretend like those quotes didn't exist once McD was fired and they realized how bad all those decisions were.

Powderaddict
09-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Ugh.

I hope Elway and Fox can bring Denver back to respectability. I just want to move past the disasterous McDaniels era. I honestly don't know who to believe or trust when statements are made about his tenure, so I really don't take any of it as gospel.

It was a disaster, a black mark on a proud franchise with a storied history and rabidly loyal fanbase.

I want to move on with a clean slate. I want the team to get back to its roots, and its winning tradition. I can't pretend the last two years didn't happen, but I can hope that lessons were learned so that it wasn't a complete waste.

gunns
09-09-2011, 12:54 PM
The buck stopped and still does with Pat Bowlen. He's the one who fired his personal friend because he had too much autonomous power, hired a very young but very successful HC, and then proceeded to tear the training wheels off and shove him down the steepest hill in town.

I like how so many people are now drinking the kool-aid that McDaniels is gone. Ignoring that Ellis is still here, Xanders is still here, we once again ignored the DL in the draft, shat our pants in FA, and watched other teams work the waiver wire while we got a three year vet OT who couldn't break in with the Steelers rag tag OL the last couple years.

Looks like we didn't **** up the #2 overall pick. I'd hope we aren't so wildly inept that we can't find a good player with the 2nd overall selection in the draft. Still see little reason to think this organization has any real clue what they're doing.

Totally agree with your first paragraph but McD did fail as a head coach. As far as this years draft, I don't believe we ignored the DL at all, they didn't believe the talent was there, yet I am thrilled at what they did get. At least they didn't draft crap for the DL like Shanahan did. They did screw the pooch in FA, IMO, but once again at least they didn't bring in other teams garbage like Shanahan for the DL. Much like the safety position WAS ignored, it has been remedied, DL is next. Hopefully QB too.

hambone13
09-09-2011, 01:30 PM

How much of any teams game plan has anything to do with back up QB's? 2% ish....if anything? I don't know for sure but I would imagine that logically back up QB's are VERY low on the totem pole of any particular game plan.

Rock Chalk
09-09-2011, 01:39 PM
How much of any teams game plan has anything to do with back up QB's? 2% ish....if anything? I don't know for sure but I would imagine that logically back up QB's are VERY low on the totem pole of any particular game plan.

I'd wager when teams face an opponent with a QB controversy (or the appearance of one) and the backup is a completely different type of QB, that they spend more time on gameplanning for the backup than in normal weeks.

I mean, I dont know that for certain but it seems like a logical thing to do.

NUB
09-09-2011, 01:49 PM
I will probably throw a shoe if Orton goes down and I see Quinn stroll onto the field.

That One Guy
09-09-2011, 01:57 PM

I think it's an assumption that we're carrying a 3rd QB. I saw a report about a week ago that said when cuts started happening, something like half of all the teams in the league had no 3rd QB on their roster. I thought it was pretty much a given from the start that the roster spot would be used on something other than the 3rd QB.

WolfpackGuy
09-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Xanders is just as culpable for "signing" the paperwork and getting steamrolled by a pompous idiot, but I don't think he was intimately involved with the scatterbrained moves we saw the last couple years.

He should've been gone too just for not putting his foot down.

In his defense, Xanders can't figure out if he wants stuffed or thin crust...

McDman
09-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Haha

Also, good to see that Xanders finally gets some blow back in his role in that ****ing disaster the past two years. Amazing he's still at work.

I'm sure he had a big part in it but if he was involved this year at all I'd say he's on track to redeeming his name. This could turn out to be one of the best drafts we have had in quite a long time.

Blueflame
09-09-2011, 03:01 PM
McDaniels would still be employed in Denver too if he hadn't opted to go for an inept coverup of SpygateII... an effort that had zero chance of success as the scandal was always going to come out sooner or later.

Someone on his staff cheated, he tried to cover it up but was caught anyway, and he was subsequently fired as the direct result. Simple cause-and-effect... I fail to see any scapegoating.

DrFate
09-09-2011, 04:23 PM
I'd wager when teams face an opponent with a QB controversy (or the appearance of one) and the backup is a completely different type of QB, that they spend more time on gameplanning for the backup than in normal weeks.

I mean, I dont know that for certain but it seems like a logical thing to do.

How often is this the case? (a team with a QB controversy where one is vastly different than the other?)

I can't think of an example

Dagmar
09-09-2011, 04:29 PM
I will probably throw a shoe if Orton goes down and I see Quinn stroll onto the field.

It would be a nauseating moment. One I pray we don't witness.

errand
09-09-2011, 04:37 PM

Which explains why none of us are head coaches in the NFL...

oubronco
09-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Whose the 2 & 3 QB? I dunno, does it really matter? I think McD was the scapegoat. Who gives a new HC 1.5 seasons to do his work? Anyway, thanks for the info titman

Maven?

Bronx33
09-09-2011, 07:02 PM

The deadly three pronged attack! the enemy doesn't know the **** to expect ( its bloody genius )