PDA

View Full Version : NFL orders fantasy football stats to be posted at football games...

Crushaholic
09-08-2011, 02:02 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/09/nfl-fantasy-football-stadiums-green-bay-packers-new-orleans-saints/1?csp=hf

Starting with tonight's Green Bay Packers-New Orleans Saints season opener, the NFL is directing all 32 clubs to display real-time fantasy football stats at all home games for the new 2011 season, says league spokesman Brian McCarthy.

I hate fantasy football, but I have to admit that it's the NFL's way of acknowledging that millions of people like to play fantasy football...

bronco militia
09-08-2011, 02:07 PM
hopefully they use orange blue font at SAF @ Mile High

OBF1
09-08-2011, 02:23 PM
What stats are they/you talking about? Is it the normal game time statistics or are they talking about some "Average/normal" fantasy football league point value (Which is a joke since there are as many different scoring versions as there are leagues).

Swedish Extrovert
09-08-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm indifferent to fantasy football.

Chris
09-08-2011, 02:28 PM
I play fantasy football and I don't like that. This sport is about the team and winning in a non-charlie sheen way. FF is a fun diversion but it's totally self-involved and it tests allegiances (though it would never test mine... if I was in a big money group who knows it might be different).

broncocalijohn
09-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I no longer play it. When your "Bronco Friend" is rooting on the Chargers and Rivers to scorch the Lions, then you know what is more important; A Fantasy Football Title over the Vince Lombardi Trophy. We don't decide games and especially those we are not attending but it is so ****ing wrong to root for a division opponent because you were so keen to select him over the other worthy, non division/conference opponent. My FF team would be all Broncos if I could have my way.

missingnumber7
09-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Don't they already show stats? I think its retarded that the league feels the need to mandate crap like this.

TheReverend
09-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Scoring alters dependent on league rules anyway.

People should just learn to do simple ****ing math OR check it on their computer/phones

Tombstone RJ
09-08-2011, 03:05 PM
I play fantasy football and I don't like that. This sport is about the team and winning in a non-charlie sheen way. FF is a fun diversion but it's totally self-involved and it tests allegiances (though it would never test mine... if I was in a big money group who knows it might be different).

dude, the NFL is desparate for $, just ask Pat wheres-my-scotch Bowlen.

ColoradoDarin
09-08-2011, 03:10 PM
and there goes Fantasy Football Fonzie, still in his leather jacket, right over the shark.

Doggcow
09-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Haha. I've never been in a standard scoring league, I just wish they'd post "top 10 players" stats live. I've done them in my head for years now.

WolfpackGuy
09-08-2011, 03:15 PM
I can't play it.

I hate too many players and despise too many teams.

LOL

That One Guy
09-08-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm indifferent to fantasy football.

Let me guess: You tried once but had trouble scoring?

RhymesayersDU
09-08-2011, 03:39 PM

Ba-Zing!

SouthStndJunkie
09-08-2011, 03:40 PM

bwahaha

titan
09-08-2011, 03:40 PM
I, too, wonder what kind of stats they are going to show that would be different than what they've done in the past. With the terrible AT&T data access on game days I just rely on fan vision to see what's going on in the other games.

Garcia Bronco
09-08-2011, 03:55 PM
This just promotes the "me" attitude of a team sport.

broncocalijohn
09-08-2011, 04:07 PM

Well, MightySmurf started a league but his buddy forgot to give him the password. He was Ball blocked by his buddy.

Pontius Pirate
09-08-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm of the opinion that FF enhances the sport, rather than detracts from it. I understand purists who hate it because they think it elevates individuals over the team.

I disagree. For one thing: FF stops before the real NFL playoffs even begin. So, the most important aspect about NFL (the playoffs) has no actual connection with 95% of FF leagues.

Also, if you're actually struggling with watching the Broncos vs. Chargers because you have Philip Rivers but you're a die-hard Broncos fan, I say you're stressing for nothing. If anything, you can watch the game and actually be OKAY if the Broncos lose because you have consolation with Rivers doing well. Rather than just be totally pissed and have nothing to be happy about.

I think you can actually root for teams (i.e. be a fan) AND be really into FF.

In conclusion, I like wine.

Dedhed
09-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Its the first of many steps that the NFL is going to take to require stadiums to be more like your living room.

DenverBroncosJM
09-08-2011, 04:44 PM
I started Fantasy three years ago, its actually very enjoyable.

Swedish Extrovert
09-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Haha. I've never been in a standard scoring league, I just wish they'd post "top 10 players" stats live. I've done them in my head for years now.

I've been doing this hot Ph.D candidate in my head for about a month now... but to each his own.

Swedish Extrovert
09-08-2011, 05:45 PM
I started Fantasy three years ago, its actually very enjoyable.

I started aforementioned fantasy about a month ago, it's actually very enjoyable.

That One Guy
09-08-2011, 06:10 PM
I started aforementioned fantasy about a month ago, it's actually very enjoyable.

LOL

I don't know if I laugh with you or at you but I definitely laugh.

That One Guy
09-08-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm of the opinion that FF enhances the sport, rather than detracts from it. I understand purists who hate it because they think it elevates individuals over the team.

I disagree. For one thing: FF stops before the real NFL playoffs even begin. So, the most important aspect about NFL (the playoffs) has no actual connection with 95% of FF leagues.

Also, if you're actually struggling with watching the Broncos vs. Chargers because you have Philip Rivers but you're a die-hard Broncos fan, I say you're stressing for nothing. If anything, you can watch the game and actually be OKAY if the Broncos lose because you have consolation with Rivers doing well. Rather than just be totally pissed and have nothing to be happy about.

In my opinion, the only reasons most people are fans are because of tradition and for a fun competition of bragging rights with their friends. What fun would it really be if you never bantered with opposing fans or bragged to a fellow fan?

When FF gets introduced, you then have an attachment to root for beyond "I always have". I can very much see why people are so quick to overlook team loyalties when FF comes into play. I think football would be in a hugely different situation popularity-wise and financially if FF didn't exist.

KipCorrington25
09-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Lame, fantasty football is as gay as the 90's.

Swedish Extrovert
09-08-2011, 06:54 PM
LOL

I don't know if I laugh with you or at you but I definitely laugh.

At me, but I'll live. Most grad students are cokeheads, anyway.

That One Guy
09-08-2011, 06:55 PM
At me, but I'll live. Most grad students are cokeheads, anyway.

Well if you're ever in my neck o' the woods, I owe you a beer and a cockblock.

Crushaholic
09-09-2011, 08:24 AM
What stats are they/you talking about? Is it the normal game time statistics or are they talking about some "Average/normal" fantasy football league point value (Which is a joke since there are as many different scoring versions as there are leagues).

They would be real-time fantasy stats, as the game happens.

I would never play fantasy football, as I have an attachment to a team. I could PROBABLY play fantasy baseball or fantasy basketball. I don't have a particular team allegiance, so it would be easier to pull for individual players...

Hogan11
09-09-2011, 09:00 AM
I would never play fantasy football, as I have an attachment to a team. I could PROBABLY play fantasy baseball or fantasy basketball. I don't have a particular team allegiance, so it would be easier to pull for individual players...

That's why I abstain from it as well. Knew some people who use to be fans of this team or that, now they just pull for whomever is on their fantasy whatever team.......I dunno about most, but I just see no respectability in that.

missingnumber7
09-09-2011, 09:41 AM
That's why I abstain from it as well. Knew some people who use to be fans of this team or that, now they just pull for whomever is on their fantasy whatever team.......I dunno about most, but I just see no respectability in that.

I think that this is what has happened to the NFL as a whole, there are smaller and smaller groups of true blood fans.

bronco militia
09-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Lame, fantasty football is as gay as the 90's.

LOL...you are old

broncocalijohn
09-09-2011, 11:11 AM

No one sees a problem with this? Reason #1 why FF is horrid to a true NFL team fan.

Rock Chalk
09-09-2011, 12:12 PM
I stopped playing because by midseason I generally no longer gave a **** about my fantasy team, just the Broncos.

TheReverend
09-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I stopped playing because by midseason I generally no longer gave a **** about my fantasy team, just the Broncos.

I try to balance unconditional Bronco love, following AZ, Chicago and Washington, gambling and fantasy football...

It's why I can't do more than one league. I start forgetting what I want to happen outside of Bronco games.

ZONA
09-09-2011, 12:20 PM
I no longer play it. When your "Bronco Friend" is rooting on the Chargers and Rivers to scorch the Lions, then you know what is more important; A Fantasy Football Title over the Vince Lombardi Trophy. We don't decide games and especially those we are not attending but it is so ****ing wrong to root for a division opponent because you were so keen to select him over the other worthy, non division/conference opponent. My FF team would be all Broncos if I could have my way.

I agree - what a ****ed up move by the league to say all teams need to post this bull****. Doesn't he realize even 5 year olds have internet cells phones these days. Nobody is gonna give a **** if the Broncos post up FF stats. They have that **** on their cells. More proof this commish is a full blown idiot.

TheReverend
09-09-2011, 12:21 PM
I agree - what a ****ed up move by the league to say all teams need to post this bull****. Doesn't he realize even 5 year olds have internet cells phones these days. Nobody is gonna give a **** if the Broncos post up FF stats. They have that **** on their cells. More proof this commish is a full blown idiot.

Honestly I didn't notice it at all last night though?

broncocalijohn
09-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Honestly I didn't notice it at all last night though?

I dont think it is for tv but for "fans" at the stadium. Commish is afraid "fans" won't show up to games because they need to watch their FF league stats at home. This way they can do that and supposedly root on the home team.

That One Guy
09-09-2011, 01:06 PM

Over the last few years in particular, I've very much become more a fan of football than necessarily of just the Broncos. I'll always watch and root for the Broncos and it could very well be just a fair-weather aspect for me but, for me personally, my best sports memories were as a kid going to Detroit Vipers Hockey games and Eastern Michigan football games. It was a fun, cheap family outing. Going to an NFL game is stressful due to both cost and logistics. It's so overpriced on concessions that you have to decide whether you want to be a tight ass and pass on the $10 beers or enjoy yourself. I root for the team but the team clearly concerns themselves more with the $$$$ than the sentimentality of the situation, why should we be any different? I'll happily let someone else out-fan me and not give a ****.

McDman
09-09-2011, 01:15 PM

I'm in a pretty competitive league where there is quite a bit of money involved and I find it really hard to play each year. It pains me to have to cheer for a certain player that is not a Bronco.

If it wasn't for the fun of the live draft and all the sh1t talking I wouldn't play either.

That One Guy
09-09-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm in a pretty competitive league where there is quite a bit of money involved and I find it really hard to play each year. It pains me to have to cheer for a certain player that is not a Bronco.

If it wasn't for the fun of the live draft and all the sh1t talking I wouldn't play either.

I really think it would be different when the team was doing well.

If the team has the potential to go 5-11 or 4-12 and the difference could be me winning my Fantasy Football league somehow... Yeah, I have a hard time saying with any confidence that I'd prefer the Broncos to win. Now, if it were for the playoffs, that's a totally different situation

ScottXray
09-09-2011, 08:34 PM
No one sees a problem with this? Reason #1 why FF is horrid to a true NFL team fan.

+1. FF is anathema to a single team fan.

It also breaks the first football commandment.
1. Thou shalt have no other team before the Broncos!
:strong:

RhymesayersDU
09-09-2011, 08:44 PM

You must not go to Invesco/SA ever. Cell reception is crap no matter what service provider you use.

Anyways for me this is no big deal, they've been showing stats during commercial breaks at Invesco/SA for years.