PDA

View Full Version : Manning undergoes cervical fusion surgery, out 2-3 months

bronclvr
09-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I know this isn't Broncos news, (so move it if you want), but I think it's something for discussion-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Florio told you an hour ago that Peyton Manning’s surgery could happen as early as Thursday. We can now tell you that surgery is complete.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports Manning had cervical fusion surgery, which wrapped up this afternoon. The expected recovery is 2-3 months, although we’ve seen with this injury how tricky it is to put a timeline on anything. There is no plan for Manning to go on I.R.

Manning reportedly consulted with a half-dozen doctors who came up with the solution to get cervical neck fusion.

A timeline to return is just a guess. Indianapolis had no idea how Manning would respond to his last surgery. After delays, he tried to practice lightly for a week. That caused a setback and further surgery. No one can truly know where this goes from here.

“He’s been on the clock since May,” Archie Manning said of his son to Mort. “He didn’t make it. Obviously, it’s a big letdown, but he can relax a little bit compared to the intensity of everything he has done trying to rehab.”

It sounds like the Colts will hold out hope that Manning can return this season, but the landscape of the AFC South has clearly changed.

It’s up to Kerry Collins and company to keep the Colts afloat in the meantime. We have our doubts they can do so.

Even if Manning was able to play again this season, it could be too late to make a difference

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/08/manning-undergoes-cervical-fusion-surgery-out-2-3-months/related/

bronclvr
09-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Looks like this is a reasonably serious Surgery-where's Doc Bronc?

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/acdf-anterior-cervical-discectomy-and-fusion

Smiling Assassin27
09-08-2011, 02:52 PM
In the words of Coach Vermeil:

:vermeil:

Los Broncos
09-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Could this be career ending?

tsiguy96
09-08-2011, 02:54 PM
twitter "injuryexpert"

Manning had a single level anterior fusion. If he was a fighter pilot, he wouldn't be allowed back in the plane.
2-3 month recovery time is unbelievably aggressive for procedure. Most would just be out of collar at that point.

and "jocktodoc"
Peyton Manning will miss at least 3 months after 3rd neck surgery in 19 months. This fusion will likely end his season & possibly his career

Dedhed
09-08-2011, 02:56 PM
For the love of god get them on the phone about Orton!!!!

extralife
09-08-2011, 02:57 PM
I've never liked Peyton, but I will be very sad if this is career ending.

also: maybe drafting Reggie Wayne in the third round in fantasy wasn't such a good idea

Dedhed
09-08-2011, 03:00 PM

No it wouldn't. It would be sad if it was life threatening, but this is great news for everyone in the AFC.

Mogulseeker
09-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Colts are gonna suck for Luck.

sisterhellfyre
Could this be career ending?

Yes. My brother had a fusion surgery after his bicycle (with him on it) was hit broadside by a school bus. He's got a limited range of motion and is in frequent pain (varying severity). As if that wasn't enough, the fused area is deteriorating and he's looking at more surgery.

Peyton and the Colts may be slow to admit it, but even if the fusion succeeds he won't be able to play. I hope the process of facing up to the truth is not as long, slow or painful (to the fans) as the Favre circus, but I'd bet on it: Peyton's done.

tsiguy96

with manning out, its like an entirely different team. they may be a 5-6 win team without him.

TheReverend
09-08-2011, 03:11 PM
No it wouldn't. It would be sad if it was life threatening, but this is great news for everyone in the AFC.

Yes and no.

I never like to see any of the GOATs miss time because they're so important to the NFL in general. And I wanted to see Peyton crush Favres records.

...that being said if this were years ago when we used to be in the playoff races, I'd be fine with it.

HILife
09-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Suck for Luck?

Houshyamama
09-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Always liked Manning since this:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/_c1Dhlnvcom1sidMwp7myg"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/_c1Dhlnvcom1sidMwp7myg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

hope this isn't career ending.

HILife
09-08-2011, 03:15 PM

damn, beat me too it.

Mogulseeker
09-08-2011, 03:16 PM
with manning out, its like an entirely different team. they may be a 5-6 win team without him.

NFLN has a poll going on how many wins they will have... results not out yet.

BUT they were 24th last year in defense and 32nd in rush offense. Manning was their team.

Most important single player to his team in the NFL.

Mogulseeker
09-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Always liked Manning since this:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/_c1Dhlnvcom1sidMwp7myg"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/_c1Dhlnvcom1sidMwp7myg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

hope this isn't career ending.

Yeah, I hated Manning. When that video came out, it changed my perception of him for the positive.

broncocalijohn
09-08-2011, 03:20 PM

also: maybe drafting Reggie Wayne in the third round in fantasy wasn't such a good idea

Putting money on the UNDER for total Colts wins would have been a shoe in this season. Where is Sorgi these days? He waited and waited for his chance and now that it is here in Indy, he is gone.

Chris
09-08-2011, 03:20 PM

I did the same thing and I think Reggie will be fine (he certainly produced in the preseason).

I like Peyton Manning. This is sad news. Future Hall of Famer.

Houshyamama
09-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Putting money on the UNDER for total Colts wins would have been a shoe in this season. Where is Sorgi these days? He waited and waited for his chance and now that it is here in Indy, he is gone.

Saw him on the side of the road holding a clipboard that said, "Will Send In Plays FOR FOOD."

crush17
09-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Hope its not career ending but the writing certainly seems to be on the wall.

broncosteven
09-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Yes. My brother had a fusion surgery after his bicycle (with him on it) was hit broadside by a school bus. He's got a limited range of motion and is in frequent pain (varying severity). As if that wasn't enough, the fused area is deteriorating and he's looking at more surgery.

Peyton and the Colts may be slow to admit it, but even if the fusion succeeds he won't be able to play. I hope the process of facing up to the truth is not as long, slow or painful (to the fans) as the Favre circus, but I'd bet on it: Peyton's done.

I have had a 1 level fusion also and still have chronic nerve damage, limited range of motion, pain, spasms all over the place, muscle atrophy. I have been waiting on my nerve to regenerate for over 3 years now.

I am surprised they would do a 2nd procedure so soon after the 1st. This would be his 3rd procedure in 2 years. I think there are only 7 cervical vertebrae so that means 3 of his are fused which means big time range of motion loss.

I don't see him being able to play again, I called it a couple days ago here:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3279636&postcount=64

Tombstone RJ
09-08-2011, 03:30 PM
How's that new contract working out Mr. Isray?

Dedhed
09-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Somebody get the Colts FO on the phone and tell them they can win 7-8 games with Orton!

Dr. Broncenstein
09-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Wow.

bronco militia
09-08-2011, 03:49 PM
hehe...from ksk

BREAKING: Fat Humps Fetusheaded Giraffe Lord Has Neck AIDS

http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/giraffe_gemina2.jpg

PEYTON MANNING IS DONE FOR THE YEAR! SORT OF! In other news: Colin Cowherd – Still a human penis! Legit 100% confirmation! Also, Reggie Wayne has been downgraded to “useless”! Film at 11!

ghwk
09-08-2011, 04:21 PM
hehe...from ksk

BREAKING: Fat Humps Fetusheaded Giraffe Lord Has Neck AIDS

http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/giraffe_gemina2.jpg

PEYTON MANNING IS DONE FOR THE YEAR! SORT OF! In other news: Colin Cowherd – Still a human penis! Legit 100% confirmation! Also, Reggie Wayne has been downgraded to “useless”! Film at 11!

I've actually seen this giraffe at a zoo in SoCal.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Career: Over.

So long, Pey Pey.

DrFate
09-08-2011, 05:26 PM
How's that new contract working out Mr. Isray?

It's been interesting to me that none of the talking heads have mentioned that the ink on that new contract isn't dry. I realize it's not the lead story, but it is a significant story that Manning just signed that big contract.

UberBroncoMan
09-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Lucky Chiefs.

UberBroncoMan
09-08-2011, 06:40 PM
I will seriously weep if they get Andrew Luck. He has such promise. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked to see them give up **** tons to get him if they aren't #1.

No team deserves the possibility of back to back decade + franchise HOF QB's.

On another note. I see Jeff Saturday calling it a career after this too. If Peyton's done this will be a completely different team unless they strike gold in a trade/draft with a new QB.