PDA

View Full Version : SI's Power Rankings

Dagmar
09-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Before a game is played, I know, but it's more fun than talking about the color red :~ohyah!:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/09/07/pre.regular.season/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2

9. San Diego Chargers (0-0)
I don't know if the Chargers have a slogan for 2011 yet, but it should be: "Start fast, or else." San Diego lost its opener in the rain at Kansas City last year, and never really recovered, missing the playoffs for the first time since 2005. It simply can't happen again, not in an AFC West where the Chiefs, Raiders and Broncos all look so flawed.
18. Kansas City Chiefs (0-0)
Injuries are a part of the game and they can happen at any time in the most freakish of ways. But I promise you Chiefs head coach Todd Haley won't have any key starters playing into the second quarter of his team's fourth preseason game next year. There's just not enough upside. Some lessons have to be learned the hard way, and the loss of tight end Tony Moeaki for the season, not to mention seeing quarterback Matt Cassel get crushed, will be burned into Haley's memory.
19. Oakland Raiders (0-0)
The Raiders make trips to Denver and Buffalo in the first two weeks, and that's a golden opportunity for new Oakland head coach Hue Jackson to get things rolling right away against a pair of clubs that finished 4-12 last season. But it was difficult for me to see the seeds of progress being sewn in a winless Raiders preseason. Oakland scored a league-low three touchdowns in their four exhibition games, and that doesn't reflect well on Jackson's offensive acumen.
29. Denver Broncos (0-0)
It's a tough era to be a Broncos fan. In the decade of 1996-2005, Denver won at least 10 games seven different times, with seven playoff berths and a pair of Super Bowl titles. But in the past five seasons, the Broncos are eight games under .500 (36-44), with nary a postseason trip. And I don't see any quick turnarounds ahead for this once-proud franchise. The glory days are going to feel even farther away in 2011.
My thoughts? Worse than the Bills, Seahawks, Cardinals, Dolphins? Hilarious!

SoCalBronco
09-07-2011, 03:49 PM
29 is pretty harsh. We should be able to manufacture some wins just due to the massively improved pass rush. Still prolly not going to be that good, but better than 29th for sure.

TheReverend
09-07-2011, 03:51 PM
We'll be better than the Bills for sure, but I have a hard time believing we'll be better than AZ or Miami.

That being said, I CAN see scenarios where we can be a pretty good football team. I just think it's way more likely that we're still crap another year.

rugbythug
09-07-2011, 03:54 PM
If Vonn Miller is as good as I think he is. We will be closer to 14-2 than 2-14

TheReverend
09-07-2011, 03:55 PM
We took 30th overall in the NFL network and NFL.com panel.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82205f02/article/nfl-media-power-poll-packers-no-doubt-no-1?module=HP11_content_stream

Dedhed
We'll be better than the Bills and Seahawks.

TheReverend
If Vonn Miller is as good as I think he is. We will be closer to 14-2 than 2-14

Von Miller could be Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet (over/under on who gets the reference set at 4) and we wouldn't win 14...

TheReverend
09-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Gil Brandt and La Canfora have us as the worst in the NFL :/

scorpio
09-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Von Miller could be Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet (over/under on who gets the reference set at 4) and we wouldn't win 14...

too easy.

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/8/c0/4be802c51f31c.jpg

PRBronco
09-07-2011, 03:59 PM

On paper, being as unbiased as I can be, it's not a stretch to say the Cards and Dolphins are better. The Hawks and Bills ****ing suck though.

OBF1
09-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Guess that guy did not watch Arizon punk our ass's a week ago.

TheReverend
09-07-2011, 04:02 PM
too easy.

[IMG]http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/8/c0/4be802c51f31c.jpg[IMG]

I love you more with every post.

Tim
09-07-2011, 04:03 PM
I'd rather stare at the piece of crap I just took than look at power rankings before any regular season games have been played.

That One Guy
09-07-2011, 04:07 PM
I would put us fairly close to Buffalo. The Seahawks could really blow this year. We don't know what to expect from Oakland. I'm not buying Jax nor Carolina (especially Carolina). I think KC nosedives. Miami is changing a lot of pieces (or returning bad ones) so we'll see what they can do. And, as has been mentioned more in the FF and Peyton threads, Indy could really blow this year.

vonqkilla
09-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Once again trust your eyes. Our first string dominatef 2 bad teams. We should win the games we should on the schedule, and be competitive in the others.

Jets, fins, lions, pats, bears, chargers x 2, & vikes will be won on Ortons arm in the 4th qtr or not.

but I think we open 3-0.

Dagmar
09-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Guess that guy did not watch Arizon punk our ass's a week ago.

How many snaps did our starters play?

Dedhed
09-07-2011, 04:13 PM
How many snaps did our starters play?

You know we finished up 31st last year right?

Mogulseeker
09-07-2011, 04:15 PM
We'll move up the rankings... these things change a ton, and we were an underachieving 7-9 team last year. Doom gives us a win... Von possibly a win - factor in a surprise loss or two, and we should at least make it 8-8.

Dagmar
09-07-2011, 04:18 PM
You know we finished up 31st last year right?

It was a season where everything could go wrong went wrong, lost our best player, had no run game, and no D. We have a new D coach, Doom is back, Von is drafted and look like our O will be more balanced. We will be better, not worse.

Continue patronizing though.

Dedhed
09-07-2011, 04:24 PM
It was a season where everything could go wrong went wrong, lost our best player, had no run game, and no D. We have a new D coach, Doom is back, Von is drafted and look like our O will be more balanced. We will be better, not worse.

Continue patronizing though.

So you're expecting that we'll fix all those deficiencies in a year? We were 31st last year, there hasn't been a meaningful game since then.

Dagmar
09-07-2011, 04:29 PM
So you're expecting that we'll fix all those deficiencies in a year? We were 31st last year, there hasn't been a meaningful game since then.

No. But some of them, hence why I think we will improve. I imagine the only regression we will see is in the passing game. It's my OPINION bro and I'm allowed to have it.

TheReverend
09-07-2011, 04:30 PM
No. But some of them, hence why I think we will improve. I imagine the only regression we will see is in the passing game. It's my OPINION bro and I'm allowed to have it.

Well the article writers placed Denver at 29 instead of 31 so they agree with you about the improvement.

What exactly is your complaint, Rusty?

Smilin Assassin
09-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Will never understand the point of Power Rankings.

One team wins the SB. 31 teams end the season empty handed.

It's not like we get to go to the Sports Authority Jerimiah Weed Sun Bowl if we end up ranked #8.

Mogulseeker
09-07-2011, 04:34 PM

What Dagmar said...

It was a perfect storm of suck, key injuries (losing Doom was key), and scandal. Wasn't our year.

I would say "thank God I was in Europe" ... but in the year of the suck (2010), the Broncos took their tour of suck to Europe.

Kaylore
09-07-2011, 04:34 PM
I hope they think we're that bad. If anyone has talked to the players on a personal level they know the team is really confident right now. I know a lot of people think players see things the same way the fans and media do, but it isn't so. This is a confident team. I think we'll be much more competitive this year and I think we'll finish better than 30th. I say 7-9 which puts us in the twenties. That's not that bad and I would welcome an improvement of that degree. I think anything more is expecting too much. We have zero depth and marginal starters at a few areas. Still a year or two away but you will see the difference between a Dumervil-less team and one with Doom and <s>Nightcrawler</s> Von Miller on the other side.

My advice to everyone is to not expect too much and enjoy watching some of these young cats develop. It will be fun and when we do win you'll enjoy it more and it will hurt less when we lose.

Mogulseeker
09-07-2011, 04:35 PM

It's not like we get to go to the Sports Authority Jerimiah Weed Sun Bowl if we end up ranked #8.

I never understood the point of bowl games. You could blow out a bowl game, but if it's a crappy bowl, you still suck. The playoffs in the NFL are so much better.

Dagmar
09-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Well the article writers placed Denver at 29 instead of 31 so they agree with you about the improvement.

What exactly is your complaint, Rusty?

I think we are better but no one will know until we've played a few real games.

The only thing I took issue was the "you know we finished 31st" comment. To which I responded sir.

:sunshine:

snowspot66
09-07-2011, 04:37 PM
I'll think we'll be in the talk for a wild card. Will probably need some help to get it but I think the end of the season will at least be potentially worth something.

Dagmar
09-07-2011, 04:38 PM
To be fair, my hopes are based on health. Lose a big player (Lloyd, Doom, Miller etc) and we may be ****ed.

TheReverend
09-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I hope they think we're that bad. If anyone has talked to the players on a personal level they know the team is really confident right now. I know a lot of people think players see things the same way the fans and media do, but it isn't so. This is a confident team. I think we'll be much more competitive this year and I think we'll finish better than 30th. I say 7-9 which puts us in the twenties. That's not that bad and I would welcome an improvement of that degree. I think anything more is expecting too much. We have zero depth and marginal starters at a few areas. Still a year or two away but you will see the difference between a Dumervil-less team and one with Doom and <s>Nightcrawler</s> Von Miller on the other side.

My advice to everyone is to not expect too much and enjoy watching some of these young cats develop. It will be fun and when we do win you'll enjoy it more and it will hurt less when we lose.

Most importantly: Nightcrawler is just a bad ass nickname.

Secondly: I've heard this. I also heard Kirwan say Denver will be better than expected because Fox keeps his teams in games, etc etc etc.

Then he ranked the Broncos 27th...

...and sadly thats higher than anyone else.

Not to lend credence to the "experts", but we're just not that good on paper yet. Let's hope Fox brought buckets of team chemistry and intangibles and etc with him, but unicorns aren't flooding the streets yet.

Mogulseeker
09-07-2011, 04:41 PM

The depth is an issue, which is why there is such a "we'll see" factor. But I think our starters are pretty good. My 8-8/9-7 outlook is predicated on the fact that we will see some injuries. I think that without any injuries this could be a 11-5 team. One thing I am worried about, though, is the more involved TE sets with Fox. I kinda feel like McD focused heavily on wideouts and now we're switching from the Erhardt-Perkins system to the WCO system. I think some players will benefit from this - Kuper, Clady, Royal, but the TEs are an issue.

oubronco
09-07-2011, 04:41 PM
I think it's justified, this team is short on talent and has been for a long time.

They are starting to move in the right direction but I wish they would've utilized all their opportunities to improve the talent this year that they had

That said I think they will be in the Luck sweepstakes

Mogulseeker
09-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Oh... and in my frat house in college "bowl games" were something else entirely.

BlaK-Argentina
09-07-2011, 04:51 PM
I remember a power ranking that had us at number 1 before the 2006 season.

And one that had us at number 2 midway through the 2008 season.

So yeah...

gunns
09-07-2011, 05:18 PM

This. Exactly.

baja
09-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Like no other season how we do is dependent on how injury free we can remain.

DenverBrit
09-07-2011, 05:57 PM
It could be worse.

If it wasn't for Tebow, the Broncos would be 33rd. :sunshine:

snowspot66
09-07-2011, 06:00 PM
I think it's justified, this team is short on talent and has been for a long time.

They are starting to move in the right direction but I wish they would've utilized all their opportunities to improve the talent this year that they had

That said I think they will be in the Luck sweepstakes

I don't think we have a shot in hell at him.

NUB
09-07-2011, 06:22 PM
I think the team has the build of something that will crash and burn about halfway through the season. The team showed that it has razor-thin depth at almost every single position, a classic bad omen. I'm excited to see how the defense is and if we will have a return to form with the running-game, but I don't know how people can see what was on the field during preseason without shattering their rose-colored glasses.

eddie mac
09-07-2011, 06:27 PM
As Yazz used to say "The only way is up"

Dedhed
09-07-2011, 06:29 PM
And I disagree with your whiny opinion.

They're ranked higher in the rankings than they finished. Every team in the league addressed some needs. I think the Broncos will be improved too, but from a national writer's perspective, the ranking is spot on.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Trent Dilfer has been highly complimentary of the Broncos, Allen+Fox defense, Doom/Miller on his Twitter feed tonight. Worth a look. @TDESPN

#filmstudy Look for Champ Bailey to have Charles Woodson role 4 Broncos.He will play in the Nickel spot and be asked to blitz & be physical

#filmstudy Interesting thing to watch for following Den. Foxy conservative run 1st mentality working w/ personnel built to spread u out.

#filmstudy Dawkins will blitz off edge a lot in Denver's new scheme. Lots of pressure on secondary when Miller becomes edge rusher as LB.

#filmstudy Very few teams have "game plan wreckers" on Defense. Den may have 2 with Dumervil and Miller. Scary on must pass situations!

#filmstudy Denver has potential to be very good D. Love what the DC, Dennis Allen and Foxy are implementing scheme wise.

#filmstudy digging deep into Oak vs Den for MNF. 1 reason Oak D gives up chunk yards in run game is all the man cov schemes in secondary

Dedhed
09-07-2011, 06:38 PM

I agree. I just wish one of those young cats was the QBOTF.

Dedhed
09-07-2011, 06:42 PM
#filmstudy Interesting thing to watch for following Den. Foxy conservative run 1st mentality working w/ personnel built to spread u out.

IMO, this plays right into Orton's weakness on 3rd down, and right into Tebow's strengths.

Run on 1st and 2nd. Spread it out on 3rd and 3. Who do you want?

Kaylore
09-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Most importantly: Nightcrawler is just a bad ass nickname.

Secondly: I've heard this. I also heard Kirwan say Denver will be better than expected because Fox keeps his teams in games, etc etc etc.

Then he ranked the Broncos 27th...

...and sadly thats higher than anyone else.

Not to lend credence to the "experts", but we're just not that good on paper yet. Let's hope Fox brought buckets of team chemistry and intangibles and etc with him, but unicorns aren't flooding the streets yet.

It's hard to pick a team that finished second to last out of 32 to be much higher than the high 20's without looking stupid.

I will say it is highly likely we improve. I went back and looked at all the teams that picked second overall and where they picked the next year, and virtually all except 1 team were better by several spots.

2001 Cardinals 2nd to 12th in 2002
2002 Panthers 2nd to 8th in 2003
2003 Lions 2nd to 7th in 2004
2004 Oakland 2nd to 7th in 2005 (trade pick to Vikings)
2005 Dolphins 2nd to 16th in 2006
2006 Saints 2nd to 27th in 2007
2007 Lions 2nd to 15th in 2008
2008 Rams 2nd to 2nd in 2009
2009 Rams 2nd to 1st in 2010 Ha!
2010 Lions 2nd to 13th in 2011

We learn three things here.

1.) The Rams might have the worst front office in recent NFL History. This surprised me considering they aren't considered as terrible as teams like the Raiders or the Bengals, but they are that bad of late.

2.) Just looking at the numbers, Denver should be at least 8 spots better, averaging 10, which looks like a 7-9 to 8-8 finish for 2012.

3.) If you aren't the Lions or the Rams, the odds of you picking in the top 2 again are pretty dang small. This suggests that provided the coaching staff and front office aren't totally incompetent, we probably won't be this bad again for a long time.

Rock Chalk
09-07-2011, 07:04 PM

Got it.

TonyR
09-07-2011, 07:10 PM
There are a couple of reasons to be at least a little bit optimistic.
Clady can very possibly not only revert to his rookie year but improve upon it, and Walton and Beadles should be better than they were as rookies. Add in a healthier Kuper and the O-line should be a lot better. Clearly that helps the running game (as does a healthy Moreno and the addition of McGahee) and Orton.
As for the D, still a lot of holes but the return of Doom, the addition of Miller, and better coaching should improve the unit overall.
Not a playoff team unless everything goes right but this isn't a team that should be in the Luck sweepstakes.

Br0nc0Buster
09-07-2011, 07:15 PM
We learn three things here.

1.) The Saints might have the worst front office in recent NFL History. This surprised me considering they aren't considered as terrible as teams like the Raiders or the Bengals, but they are that bad of late.

?
The team that won the superbowl 2 years ago...?

Br0nc0Buster
09-07-2011, 07:19 PM
I think well win 7

Hopefully we can beat the bad teams and be competitive with the good ones

would be a good step given the craptastic state EFX inherited

Kaylore
09-07-2011, 07:39 PM
?

Sorry. Meant the Rams!

baja
09-07-2011, 07:40 PM
?

I think he meant to say the Rams

Finger Roll
09-07-2011, 09:21 PM
This is a 5-11 type of team. 29 sounds about right. The offense doesn't score many points and the Defense is very poor against the run

Punisher
09-07-2011, 09:23 PM
this once-proud franchise

Dagmar
09-07-2011, 09:31 PM
That's some good info Kaylore, let's hope we continue the trend.

cutthemdown
09-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Maybe we are that bad we will see soon enough. Seems like if the rookie TE, RT, ssl, fs play well, doom comes back, the 4-3 switch is more to our abilities, the d coord is better, that is quite a few things that make team better.

I think things were much worst last yr. They are overlooking really athletic TE, great wr core, the addition of Maghee who can get into the endzone etc etc.

Whatever though no one ever really predicts when a team will be good. They just look at who was good last yr, then go from their. Broncos got better, Raider didn't IMO, its a new yr and I think we can get to 1-0. One week at a time.

cutthemdown
09-08-2011, 12:28 AM
?

It can happen. You can have such good players already that bad decisions dont hurt you right away. Look at Pats they have had a few bad drafts but are still very good.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
09-08-2011, 12:43 AM

Hmmm.... I seem to recall having some comic books with that story line. Silver Surfer I think.

I could be a punk and look it up, but I'm going to sink or swim with that recollection.

Tombstone RJ
09-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Power rankings are fun... they create threads like this.

bronco militia
09-08-2011, 08:40 AM
30. Broncos: The fumes of Josh McDaniels are hanging in the mile-high air like the remnants of rancid pork burrito night.

LOL

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/06/week-zero-2011-power-rankings/

Steve Sewell
09-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Agree with all but the forgotten man on this board is Rahim Moore. I think he's a significant upgrade at FS. The Broncos have upgraded the TE position as well with the additions of Fells and Thomas (woot a pass catching TE!). Also look at RB...I liked Buckhalter but he played a similar role to Moreno. Now the Broncos pick up McGahee who will provide the power running game and open the gameplan to play to Moreno's strengths in the short passing/screen game and perimeter running.

The offense is going to be VERY good this year. I believe that Fox/Allen, along with an infusion of talent (Doom/Miller/Moore) is going to yield a significantly improved defense.

As others have said, team health is going to play a big part in the record this season because of lack of depth.

Dedhed
09-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Agree with all but the forgotten man on this board is Rahim Moore. I think he's a significant upgrade at FS. The Broncos have upgraded the TE position as well with the additions of Fells and Thomas (woot a pass catching TE!). Also look at RB...I liked Buckhalter but he played a similar role to Moreno. Now the Broncos pick up McGahee who will provide the power running game and open the gameplan to play to Moreno's strengths in the short passing/screen game and perimeter running.

The offense is going to be VERY good this year. I believe that Fox/Allen, along with an infusion of talent (Doom/Miller/Moore) is going to yield a significantly improved defense.

As others have said, team health is going to play a big part in the record this season because of lack of depth.I agree on Moore and Thomas at TE, but with rookies there are always going to be inconsistencies.

I don't think the offense has improved much other than Thomas, and I think he'll run hot and cold as a rookie. Royal still looks shaky, Lloyd isn't going to catch anyone off guard this year, and Decker is a question mark.

I think the running game is going to be improved leading to a more balanced offense, but not to more points. I think we'll be much improved on defense, but putting up 20 pts/game is still not going going to lead to a winning record.

TonyR
09-08-2011, 10:22 AM
I don't think the offense has improved much...

It all starts up front. Our O-line was horrid last season. If you make the relatively safe assumption that Clady (healthy), Kuper (healthy), Walton (a year of experience), and Beadles (a year of experience) will be better than last year the line should be better. If that allows a healthy Moreno and newly acquired McGahee to provide a better rushing attack, and affords Orton better protection, the offense should be improved.

2KBack
09-08-2011, 10:26 AM
The positional coaching appears to be much improved, depending on how much stock you put in that.

enjolras
09-08-2011, 11:23 AM

I was getting ready to come post exactly that about Moore. I still believe the SINGLE biggest hole on the defense was at the safety position. With Moore I think we've taken a monster step towards fixing that.

Safeties play a significant (and obviously under appreciated) role in run defense. The Broncos issue wasn't consistently stopping the run (well not completely), they were actually pretty decent on a per-down basis. Their issue was stopping the big run. 10 yarders that became touchdowns far too often. Just watch the McFadden runs last year. On almost every play the free safety was far out of position and even less likely to make a tackle.

Better safety play will cover up a LOT of our deficiencies at tackle. It will force teams to sustain longer drives with more opportunities for Doom and Miller to get into the backfield and create opportunities for our secondary to create turnovers.

This defense isn't going to be great, but they'll be MUCH better simply by having competent safety play. If Moore becomes the player I think he can be, they may be better than that.

enjolras
09-08-2011, 11:28 AM
It all starts up front. Our O-line was horrid last season. If you make the relatively safe assumption that Clady (healthy), Kuper (healthy), Walton (a year of experience), and Beadles (a year of experience) will be better than last year the line should be better. If that allows a healthy Moreno and newly acquired McGahee to provide a better rushing attack, and affords Orton better protection, the offense should be improved.

This is another area I think we'll see a bunch of improvement this year. The line was significantly better when Harris returned. The yards per attempt rushing went way up when Hochstein was (finally) relegated to the bench and Beadles moved to his natural position.

I think they've upgraded with Orlando Franklin. He's shown himself to be a competent pass blocker and a beast of a run blocker in the preseason. If he continues to improve we should be seeing a much improved offensive front.

I'm becoming less confident that Walton can be the long term answer, but I *really* like the rest of the pieces up front.

Tombstone RJ
09-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Fact is the Broncos defense has no where to go but up. Add in a decent running game and the Broncos can easily win at least a few more games this season than they won last season.

Also, didn't the Broncos play one of the tougher schedules last season? With a competent coaching staff, a better defense, a running game that works and a veteran QB like Orton who can make some good throws (I'm a big Orton critic) and IMHO this team will hover around 8-8 again.