PDA

View Full Version : A troubling trend

Mogulseeker
09-05-2011, 01:06 PM
I was talking about NFL fans online and it behooved me to look at some expert opinions on how NFL fans ranked... so I found this link on nfl.com and it did not bode well for the Broncos.

Our respective rankings from the experts are: 31, 32, 31, 27, 32, 28.

There obviously was no scientific methodology, and the results were obviously qualitative, but it really pisses me off that, in the public eye, we've fallen below the Bills, Jaguars, Cardinals, and even the effing Chargers.

I don't agree with the list, but this is definitely indicative of public opinion.

Mogulseeker
09-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Forgot the link - http://fanrankings.nfl.com/results/experts

Agamemnon
09-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Umm...we have a sellout streak going back to the 70s. Yeah these people are full of ****.

Mogulseeker
09-05-2011, 01:08 PM
I can't believe the Pats are so high. I've always perceived them as bandwagoners.

Mogulseeker
09-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Umm...we have a sellout streak going back to the 70s. Yeah these people are full of ****.

Second logest streak behind the Redskins.

There was also a fan consensus. We're ranked 25th in terms of fan loyalty in the eyes of NFL fans.

Requiem
09-05-2011, 01:13 PM
I am troubled by what these fans think.

OrangeSe7en

There was also a fan consensus. We're ranked 25th in terms of fan loyalty in the eyes of NFL fans.

No, its second to the Packers. The problem with this is that the Broncos as a team arent on radar much anymore. They're better known as the team that let Josh McDaniels destroy their franchise.

If you want a real guage of where the fans really rank, look at Forbes ranking of the most valuable NFL teams from a few years ago. Denver was top 5 largely because of their fanbase.

Agamemnon

Seriously this is all just meaningless media garbage as usual, and the Broncos pretty much always get the shaft with that stuff.

troya900
09-05-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't know looking at the list it seems kind of a joke. The teams that are winners in the recent past and winning right now are towards the top. Teams like the Broncos that have been in disarray recently are ranked towards the bottom. If the Broncos start winning again and going to playoffs and superbowls these same dumb experts would probably rate the Broncos fans in the Top 10 at least.

OrangeSe7en
09-05-2011, 01:15 PM

Thats what I thought at first too. Its a ranking by the fans, not of the fans.

Dedhed
09-05-2011, 01:16 PM
I was talking about NFL fans online and it behooved me to look at some expert opinions on how NFL fans ranked... so I found this link on nfl.com and it did not bode well for the Broncos.

There obviously was no scientific methodology, and the results were obviously qualitative, but it really pisses me off that, in the public eye, we've fallen below the Bills, Jaguars, Cardinals, and even the effing Chargers.

I don't agree with the list, but this is definitely indicative of public opinion.
I am more concerned with our record at home recently than I am with some perceived rankings.

UberBroncoMan
09-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Considering Steelers and Cowboys fans outnumber us when they play at our place...kinda looks poorly on us.

rmsanger
09-05-2011, 01:21 PM
my bad.. thought they were ranking teams and agreed but then saw it was fans. I will say that our Organization has a few new fiefdom of fans. E.g. Tebow/Orton followers and the rest of us just general Broncos fans.

ChrisToker
09-05-2011, 01:21 PM
No, its second to the Packers. The problem with this is that the Broncos as a team arent on radar much anymore. They're better known as the team that let Josh McDaniels destroy their franchise.

If you want a real guage of where the fans really rank, look at Forbes ranking of the most valuable NFL teams from a few years ago. Denver was top 5 largely because of their fanbase.

Haters are gonna hate. as pointed out earlier we have a sold out games since the 60's, on top of that we have top 10-15 team in revenue world wide (including soccer clubs). Most of people that voted hate on the Broncos yet dont under stand what Bronco Country is.

ChrisToker
09-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Considering Steelers and Cowboys fans outnumber us when they play at our place...kinda looks poorly on us.

It sucks that Pissberg is a dead city so the have moved west and ****ton implants from PA live in CO. Just CO ingeneral a good 45% of people here are from diff state.

Agamemnon
09-05-2011, 01:26 PM

No they don't. ::)

Mogulseeker
09-05-2011, 01:34 PM
No they don't. ::)

Steelers fans do. I hate that **** so much when I walk into the stadium and see terrible towles all over the place.

baja
09-05-2011, 01:42 PM
You should read revs tag line for the answer to this

sisterhellfyre
09-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Steelers fans do. I hate that **** so much when I walk into the stadium and see terrible towles all over the place.

Those things? Meh, don't worry about the towels. The Steelers fans just carry those cuz they don't believe in toilet paper.

How did you think the towels got to be yellow and black?

NUB
09-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Its a ranking by the fans, not of the fans.

This.

Agamemnon
09-05-2011, 01:47 PM

No they don't. Stop exaggerating.

Mogulseeker
09-05-2011, 01:48 PM
This.

It's a ranking by "experts" BTW... not the fans.

Fan rankings have us a little higher, but not by much.

Archer81
09-05-2011, 01:50 PM
27 wins in 4 years tends to do that. If the team begins winning consistently, the rankings will change. As will the perceived lack of fan enthusiasm at Mile High.

Win and that **** changes.

:Broncos:

Shananahan
09-05-2011, 03:08 PM
I can't believe the Pats are so high. I've always perceived them as bandwagoners.
Bandwagoners are the people who pay attention to this nonsense.

maher_tyler
09-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Whatever! I see more people wearing Broncos gear down here in AZ than any other team and thats with the Cardinals being in this state and San Diego being a few hours away. When i was at the final preseason game, there were quit a few Broncos fans in the crowd. Speaking on fans, Cards fans are retarded, never seen people take a preseason game so serious. I could have swore the guy sitting next to me thought it was the super bowl or that the Cards will actually be good this year.

SoCalBronco
09-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Montrose is going to love this thread. :)

Miss I.
09-05-2011, 04:49 PM

Damn, I thought we were #6, or we rated a 6....who said that..I can't recall, oh, wait, I think that was the rating from Droopy Dog. ;D

OrangeSe7en
09-05-2011, 06:25 PM
And I see people still don't know what the poll was really about. All this is, is a way for fans to do their own power rankings. It has a page for the power rankings of the fans and it has a page of NFLNs staff power rankings.

Once again, its a ranking by the fans, not of the fans.

GreatBronco16
09-05-2011, 08:15 PM
And I see people still don't know what the poll was really about. All this is, is a way for fans to do their own power rankings. It has a page for the power rankings of the fans and it has a page of NFLNs staff power rankings.

Once again, its a ranking by the fans, not of the fans.

Doh!!!

That is exactly what it is. Has nothing to do with who the media thinks has the best fans or worst. It's a power ranking of the teams like OS7 said. They have been doing this for the past few years.

Mogulseeker
09-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Doh!!!

That is exactly what it is. Has nothing to do with who the media thinks has the best fans or worst. It's a power ranking of the teams like OS7 said. They have been doing this for the past few years.

On second look, he's absolutely right. Wow.

Mogulseeker
09-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Here's a better one from ESPN. Discuss.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview08/columns/story?id=3530077

ESPN has us 7th.

Chiefs at 5...

Raiders at 9...

Chargers not in the top 20.

enjolras
09-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Those rankings are essentially good-teams -> bad-teams.

Mogulseeker
09-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Those rankings are essentially good-teams -> bad-teams.

OP is actually power rankings as I just figured out. When I searched "Fan Rankings" I thought they were ranking fans... not fans ranking teams, lol.

The ESPN post is actually what I was looking for, and the turned out to be more what I expected... Broncos in the top ten.

montrose
09-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Again, it's actually a power rankings poll not a fan poll. However...

Montrose is going to love this thread. :)

Having lived here for a few years now after having moved from Baltimore/DC, I see how much Broncos fans (not those of you on this site, you are the exeception - diehards) really do suck. It's not only a road-team stadium when the Steelers or Packers come to town - it can get that feel every single week. And it's not just at the game, this isn't a Broncos town anymore - it's a Steeler/Packer/Patriot/Raiders/Bears/Chiefs/Eagles/etc. town.

The sellout streak is indicitive of the loyalty that existed in the past - not now. That streak stays alive because ticket brokers buy up seats, it's why the stadium routinely sees 5 thousand, sometimes up to 10 thousand no shows. This town once bled orange and blue, now being a true Broncos fan puts you in the minority - not in terms of there are more fans of another fanbase here but so very many of Broncos "fans" here are casual watchers that don't know more than 5 people on the team and are most interested with going up to the mountains than watching the Broncos play. These are the same people that cheer when the team is offense, sit on their hands when it's on defense and start the wave on 4th downs.

And don't blame winning or money, please - I'm so sick of those arguments. True fans like the ones here on the Mane bleed their teams colors no matter what and let's be honest - the 13-3 2005 Denver Broncos hosted an embarrasing number of Steelers fans in the AFC Title Game. And as far as money goes, Denver (last I knew) were below-average on NFL ticket costs despite having a larger geographic area to pull and a more successful economy than other NFL cities that don't have the same issues.

Again this isn't a shot on the real fans that patrol the Orange Mane - you guys are the best of the best. This is a shot towards all the people of Denver that think it's "silly we care so much about 'a game,' and are blown away at how crazy those Steeler fans are everywhere!"

Bronx33
09-05-2011, 09:33 PM

Thats because they are moving here in hoards.

Kaylore
09-05-2011, 09:39 PM
The Packers. They fill an entire stadium for a scrimmage. It's good clean fun too.

mkporter
09-06-2011, 12:02 AM
When you see the Chargers consistently ranked in the top ten, it should be a pretty easy tip off that they aren't ranking the quality of fan support.

cutthemdown
09-06-2011, 12:50 AM
I voted Packers because they feel they own the team. For that reason I think the love goes a little deeper. Also nothing to do there so the Packers are just ultra huge.

In Denver they sellout, I think the city has supportive fans and I meet quite a few Bronco fans in Southern California. We love our Broncos......but let's face it Denver and the State of Colo have a lot to offer. Not like cities like Cleveland where outside of a few good hospitals there is no reason to go there.

If they want to really rate fans they should take a random sample of 1000 season ticket holders, quiz them on football related topics and see who does well.

But hey we cheer and boo at the right spots so **** all of them. When we start winning again we will have the last laugh.

cutthemdown
09-06-2011, 12:51 AM
When you see the Chargers consistently ranked in the top ten, it should be a pretty easy tip off that they aren't ranking the quality of fan support.

Yep that right there makes it a total joke. They can't even get the city to build them a stadium. The fans don't even think they are worth keeping.

Doggcow
09-06-2011, 02:17 AM
Someone picked the Seahawks? They are THE MOST PATHETIC fanbase I have ever seen. Most of them have absolutely no football IQ (I.E. They were talking **** during our preseason game when they tied it... lol). They also absolutely disappear outside of the Stadium at the end of every one of their pathetic Seasons. None of them existed before the Superbowl run either, kinda like New England fans didn't exist before their superbowls.

Pitt has the best fans.

Pick Six
09-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Packers fans feel like a part of the team, because they own part of the team. Other NFL franchises should think about going that direction...

TheReverend
09-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Passionately hate them as I may, the correct answer is definitively the Steelers. Packers and Cowboys probably aren't too far behind. Everyone else, including Bronco fans, are leaps behind those 3.

enjolras
09-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Passionately hate them as I may, the correct answer is definitively the Steelers. Packers and Cowboys probably aren't too far behind. Everyone else, including Bronco fans, are leaps behind those 3.

I'll give you Pittsburgh and the Packers. The cowboys? Not so much. When I was in Dallas they had a lot of trouble filling Texas Stadium. I remember the Broncos thanksgiving day game at which I was surrounded by orange.

I've never seen a city that falls off the bandwagon the way Dallas does when their team shows ANY sign of being anything but great.

Kaylore
09-06-2011, 10:32 AM
False. Most and Best aren't the same thing.

TheReverend
09-06-2011, 10:44 AM
I'll give you Pittsburgh and the Packers. The cowboys? Not so much. When I was in Dallas they had a lot of trouble filling Texas Stadium. I remember the Broncos thanksgiving day game at which I was surrounded by orange.

I've never seen a city that falls off the bandwagon the way Dallas does when their team shows ANY sign of being anything but great.

May be true. They seem to be everywhere like vermin, but I haven't spent any extended time beyond a few months in the DFW area.

False. Most and Best aren't the same thing.

Any football city's airport the night before a game is overwhelming evidence.

Kaylore
09-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Any football city's airport the night before a game is overwhelming evidence.

Um what?

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/061/297/original/nickcage.jpeg?1279885944

The question is which fans are the best, not the most numerous. Cowboy and Steeler fans are very numerous, but the former are some of the most spoiled, wishy washy fans in all of sports. Steeler fans are also numerous, but they're bandwagoning dick heads. Packer fans fill stadiums even when they suck and are genuinely good people. Having more fans doesn't make your fan base the best.

TheReverend
09-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Um what?

[IMG]http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/061/297/original/nickcage.jpeg?1279885944[IMG]

The question is which fans are the best, not the most numerous. Cowboy and Steeler fans are very numerous, but the former are some of the most spoiled, wishy washy fans in all of sports. Steeler fans are also numerous, but they're bandwagoning dick heads. Packer fans fill stadiums even when they suck and are genuinely good people. Having more fans doesn't make your fan base the best.

People are good and bad regardless of "team affiliation". The fan support at home and on the road should be the focal point of the topic of discussion (admittedly immediately disqualifying Oakland, Buffalo and Philly for being dick heads as you mentioned).

Quite frankly, Pitt and GB also come from two of the smallest markets in the country. This isn't even debatable.

TailgateNut
09-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Um what?

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/061/297/original/nickcage.jpeg?1279885944

This^ and re: the second bolded sentence. That's the problem with Mile High/Incestco/The Authority field/what ****ingeverstadium. We still sell out, but the fansbase is becoming the Chuggernauts. Wishy washy assholes who will boo their own team and sell tickets to anyonee to make a buck.

Kaylore
09-06-2011, 11:22 AM
People are good and bad regardless of "team affiliation". The fan support at home and on the road should be the focal point of the topic of discussion (admittedly immediately disqualifying Oakland, Buffalo and Philly for being dick heads as you mentioned).

Quite frankly, Pitt and GB also come from two of the smallest markets in the country. This isn't even debatable.

I agree. You're in the minority and are completely wrong. GB fans are known for their hospitality and consistency. They have the longest wait for season tickets, greater than Denver, in the league and as fan co/owners, have an personal vested interest in the team that is unique league wide.

Steeler fans are known for being blow-hard douche bags. They do show up to games home and away have a wide national appeal. I would definitely put them in my top five. But it's not just a numbers. Again, read his post. He didn't say "who has the most fans." By your logic, if numbers are the one and only quantifier (aside from filling an airport, whatever that has to do with anything), then Cowboy fans are superior to the majority of college football fans, which we all know isn't true.

Best fan base isn't most numerous. Period. All that's indicative of is how popular your team is, but that doesn't make you a "good fan."

Packers own. I win you lose. :)

vancejohnson82
09-06-2011, 11:25 AM
This^ and re: the second bolded sentence. That's the problem with Mile High/Incestco/The Authority field/what ****ingeverstadium. We still sell out, but the fansbase is becoming the Chuggernauts. Wishy washy a-holes who will boo their own team and sell tickets to anyonee to make a buck.

One game left a bad taste in my mouth at Invesco

flew out for the Chargers/Broncos Ed Hoculi game....great game, obviously. Around the third quarter I started to stand on all third downs when we were on defense. People behind me started to complain (I'm all of 5'7") and started to ask if I owned the tickets. I said no

They used that number to call on me....security came down, saw I was pretty sober and asked me to sit for the rest of the game....or at least until our final two plays when I guess it was OK to stand

great game ruined by uptight fans

TailgateNut
09-06-2011, 11:33 AM

flew out for the Chargers/Broncos Ed Hoculi game....great game, obviously. Around the third quarter I started to stand on all third downs when we were on defense. People behind me started to complain (I'm all of 5'7") and started to ask if I owned the tickets. I said no

They used that number to call on me....security came down, saw I was pretty sober and asked me to sit for the rest of the game....or at least until our final two plays when I guess it was OK to stand

I wish I could say only one game left a bad taste in MY mouth. This has been an ongoing decline in fan support and dedication. IMO, we SUCK and have for a number of years. ...and before the "if we win it will fix it" crowd starts chiming in, allow me to say STFU. Most of them haven't attended and do not attend games, so they should just live in their make believe world and talk about less important things like Tebow or what uniform color will help us win.

Miss I.
09-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Going to have to go with Kaylore on this, quality wins over quantity in the who is the better fan base debate. While certainly, loyalty in the form of fans traveling to games indicates some merit in a fanbase, it is not the sole determinate (I am guessing that was what the reference to the airport was about).

My vote based on my interactions:
1. Packers
2. Steelers (not as nice as Packers fans, but they are freaking everywhere and I know a few pretty cool ones).
3. I can't tell you this one, it will end with me getting my ass kicked. ;D

Worst fans:
1. Raiders
2. Eagles
3. Raiders
4. Raiders
5. Raiders
6. Raiders (I think you understand me now).

TheReverend
09-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I agree. You're in the minority and are completely wrong. GB fans are known for their hospitality and consistency. They have the longest wait for season tickets, greater than Denver, in the league and as fan co/owners, have an personal vested interest in the team that is unique league wide.

Steeler fans are known for being blow-hard douche bags. They do show up to games home and away have a wide national appeal. I would definitely put them in my top five. But it's not just a numbers. Again, read his post. He didn't say "who has the most fans." By your logic, if numbers are the one and only quantifier (aside from filling an airport, whatever that has to do with anything), then Cowboy fans are superior to the majority of college football fans, which we all know isn't true.

Best fan base isn't most numerous. Period. All that's indicative of is how popular your team is, but that doesn't make you a "good fan."

Packers own. I win you lose. :)

I lived in Wisconsin for 6 years and Pennsylvania for 9.

Whether my hair is a bird or not, sir, I defecate upon your assumptions.

:sunshine:

TailgateNut
09-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Going to have to go with Kaylore on this, quality wins over quantity in the who is the better fan base debate. While certainly, loyalty in the form of fans traveling to games indicates some merit in a fanbase, it is not the sole determinate (I am guessing that was what the reference to the airport was about).

My vote based on my interactions:
1. Packers
2. Steelers (not as nice as Packers fans, but they are freaking everywhere and I know a few pretty cool ones).
3. I can't tell you this one, it will end with me getting my ass kicked. ;D

Worst fans:
1. Raiders
2. Eagles
3. Raiders
4. Raiders
5. Raiders
6. Raiders (I think you understand me now).

I agree on the Packer fans as being number 1 and not including ourselves I would put the Cleveland and Detroit fans in the mix because they have put up with some BS and hung in there. (just imagine what heart it takes to keep attending Lions games after so much suckage. Steeler fans hang in there but get eeriely quite when there team dives off the chart.

As far as the worst fans are concerned, Philly Fans SUCK ASS, PERIOD and then Raider fans are POS. I know a few who are diehard and deserve some respect for that, but the rest are trash!

Mogulseeker
09-06-2011, 12:29 PM

I love my section. In fact, I'm the one occasionally telling people to calm down - especially with language when there are kids around.

crawdad
09-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Did anyone notice that the Raiders and Chiefs don't have a waiting list for Season Tickets? Wonder why? I have been to many stadiums and by far (of the ones that I have been to) the Chargers have the most obnoxious asshole fans!

Miss I.
09-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Did anyone notice that the Raiders and Chiefs don't have a waiting list for Season Tickets? Wonder why? I have been to many stadiums and by far (of the ones that I have been to) the Chargers have the most obnoxious a-hole fans!

The Chiefs don't? That's odd because they did have one when I lived there in 2005, it was about 25000 I think.

crawdad
09-06-2011, 12:57 PM
The Chiefs don't? That's odd because they did have one when I lived there in 2005, it was about 25000 I think.

Not according to this ESPN poll

Miss I.
09-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Did anyone notice this article was from 2008, it was funny because I read the thing about the Bears and it mentions Kyle Orton.

Spider
09-06-2011, 01:07 PM
we are 2 nd to the packers ......

Kaylore
09-06-2011, 01:10 PM

Yeah the Browns are on their for sympathy, like an abused puppy.

crawdad
09-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Did anyone notice this article was from 2008, it was funny because I read the thing about the Bears and it mentions Kyle Orton.

No, I didn't but I still don't get the Raiders being ranked so high. Going into the Black Hole is the pits!