PDA

View Full Version : Tony Moeaki out for year

Vladimir
09-03-2011, 03:46 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/9/3/2402638/tony-moeaki-injury-kansas-city-chiefs

Kansas City Chiefs TE Tony Moeaki is expected to be placed on injured reserve with a torn ACL. I had heard the rumors this morning but couldn't confirm it and I found it's now being reported by Jube Wilbers of WREX in Rockford, Illinois.

The knock on Moeaki exiting college was an injury history but he missed just one game in 2010 while putting up an impressive rookie campaign. It was just last week that Peter King of SI.com was hyping him up saying the Chiefs planned to use him similar to the way the Indianapolis Colts use TE Dallas Clark.

You feel for guys like Moeaki. Nobody wants to hear this news.

The Chiefs could now be in the market for another tight end. Here's the current depth chart at tight end: Leonard Pope, Tony Moeaki, Jake O'Connell, Cody Slate, Charlie Gantt and Anthony Becht.

Keep an eye on the waiver wire today as teams start making their cuts.

gyldenlove
09-03-2011, 03:49 PM
I can only echo this sentiment: You feel for guys like Moeaki. Nobody wants to hear this news. But seriously BUAHAHAHAHAHA!

Baba Booey
09-03-2011, 03:50 PM
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9914/1314464815603.jpg

dbfan21
09-03-2011, 03:52 PM
sucks for them, but great for us! he was turning into a real weapon for that offense.

Goobzilla
09-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Soooo....DON'T play your starters in the final preseason game?

Noted

DaFace
09-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Soooo....DON'T play your starters in the final preseason game?

Noted

He was injured in the first quarter, so it's not like this was a result of Haley's philosophy. If it were Cassel who was out for the season, you'd have a point.

CEH
09-03-2011, 05:17 PM
I told KC Fan in one of the KC threads there was a major injury coming. No malice intended it's just the way the NFL works. When you go a whole season like last year without one odds are against you the next

I really like Moeaki.

Kaylore
09-03-2011, 05:24 PM
That sucks. I hope for his sake he can come back ok. I sure won't miss him though.

KipCorrington25
09-03-2011, 05:49 PM
That does suck, but unlike Chiefs Planet I won't say anything like they would, things like "stay down bitch" or that sort of thing. I mean they had a laugh about McKinley's suicide so it's a sick crowd over there...

Agamemnon
09-03-2011, 05:53 PM
That does suck, but unlike Chiefs Planet I won't say anything like they would, things like "stay down b****" or that sort of thing. I mean they had a laugh about McKinley's suicide so it's a sick crowd over there...

They laughed about McKinley's suicide? Wow...

Bronx33
09-03-2011, 05:53 PM
damn shame i dont want any lame excuses from the cheaps fans.

IA-Broncosfan53
09-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Too bad. Always liked him at Iowa, hes a nice guy, had a class with him. However he simply can not stay healthy. There is a reason he fell so far in the draft. Extremely talented, with a body that cant sustain football.

Br0nc0Buster
09-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Sounds kind of like hes the Ryan Harris of TEs

KCStud
09-03-2011, 07:05 PM
This is a huge blow for KC. He did have injury concerns in college, but his talent was worth the risk.
He had the best hands of any receiver on the team and made some fantastic plays last year. Moeaki came to camp with an injury, thus why he didn't make it too far. I think he already had a problem with his knee, but the play in GB did him in. I think it was bound to happen.
Baldwin and Breaston are going to have to step it up bigtime.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-03-2011, 07:07 PM
NOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!

-- Joe Mays

boltaneer
09-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Time to run Charles into the ground.

ZachKC
09-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Bummer. Good guy. Good player.

ZachKC
09-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Time to run Charles into the ground.

Yes. Because that TE was our only option in the air. :~ohyah!:

cutthemdown
09-03-2011, 07:34 PM
This is a huge blow for KC. He did have injury concerns in college, but his talent was worth the risk.
He had the best hands of any receiver on the team and made some fantastic plays last year. Moeaki came to camp with an injury, thus why he didn't make it too far. I think he already had a problem with his knee, but the play in GB did him in. I think it was bound to happen.
Baldwin and Breaston are going to have to step it up bigtime.

Breaston maybe, he's a vet and a decent WR. Baldwin though I don't see it. Maybe late in the yr he can make some noise but I think he has blown his rookie yr out the water. WR so hard to learn, then he went and got injured ina fight.

Chris
09-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Unfortunate for KC and Moeaki.

KCStud
09-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Breaston maybe, he's a vet and a decent WR. Baldwin though I don't see it. Maybe late in the yr he can make some noise but I think he has blown his rookie yr out the water. WR so hard to learn, then he went and got injured ina fight.

Well thank God we still have Bowe and Charles. Losing Moeaki is huge tho. He's almost as big of a loss to us as Dumervill was to you guys last year.

boltaneer
09-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Yes. Because that TE was our only option in the air. :~ohyah!:

We'll see.

The Chiefs offense hasn't exactly been lighting it up (insert obligatory pre-season disclaimer here). But I actually think you guys have a good set of receivers. Losing Moeaki hurts big time though and we'll see if losing Weiss was even bigger.

KCStud
09-04-2011, 12:47 AM
We'll see.

The Chiefs offense hasn't exactly been lighting it up (insert obligatory pre-season disclaimer here). But I actually think you guys have a good set of receivers. Losing Moeaki hurts big time though and we'll see if losing Weiss was even bigger.

All eyes on Cassel and Baldwin now :pray:

cutthemdown
09-04-2011, 02:10 AM
Well thank God we still have Bowe and Charles. Losing Moeaki is huge tho. He's almost as big of a loss to us as Dumervill was to you guys last year.

Well that is a reach. Doom was the best sack master in the conference when he went down.

JJJ
09-04-2011, 02:50 AM
He was injured in the first quarter, so it's not like this was a result of Haley's philosophy. If it were Cassel who was out for the season, you'd have a point.

Actually he was injured in the second quarter.

Starters were playing deep into this game but they needed to as really hadn't found any kind of consistency in previous games. Worth the risk?

Losing Moeaki will really hurt the Chiefs. He was the guy I always worried about, especially on third down.

cutthemdown
09-04-2011, 03:48 AM
I wonder if Gates can stay healthy this yr.

ZachKC
09-04-2011, 04:20 AM

Starters were playing deep into this game but they needed to as really hadn't found any kind of consistency in previous games. Worth the risk?

Losing Moeaki will really hurt the Chiefs. He was the guy I always worried about, especially on third down.

Now that guys are injured they are threats you folks were worried about. How unsurprising.

ween1980
09-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Dude, you realize nobody on here actually plays for the Broncos, right? I mean I realize you think you play for the Chiefs or something but not everyone is as delusional as you.

Dedhed
09-04-2011, 07:02 AM
I'm not worried about the Chiefs. Last year was an aberration, and by far the best season they'll have with Haley at the helm. Glad they're worse than they were a week ago.

Bob's your Information Minister
09-04-2011, 07:28 AM
I'm not worried about the Chiefs. Last year was an aberration,

How do you know?

The Chiefs have had one bad season and one good season under Pioli/Haley.

Before that they were both entrenched cogs in successful franchises.

I'd say 2009 was the aberration.

Ironlung
09-04-2011, 07:41 AM
The Queefs looked like THE WORST team in the nfl this preseason...So yeah, I'm sure they're going to be awesome.

RhymesayersDU
09-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Dude, you realize nobody on here actually plays for the Broncos, right? I mean I realize you think you play for the Chiefs or something but not everyone is as delusional as you.

Don't be stupid.

Dedhed
09-04-2011, 07:56 AM
How do you know?

I'd say 2009 was the aberration.It's called an opinion you nerd.

Whiny saps like Haley aren't successful in this league for long. His act is probably already playing pretty tired on the players.

ZachKC
09-04-2011, 07:57 AM
The Queefs looked like THE WORST team in the nfl this preseason...So yeah, I'm sure they're going to be awesome.

Is that an indicator of regular season success?

ohiobronco2
09-04-2011, 08:10 AM
How do you know?

I'd say 2009 was the aberration.

STAY DOWN B*TCH

09-04-2011, 08:24 AM
It's called an opinion you nerd.

Yeah, I'm just looking for you to explain the reasoning behind your opinion.

If you can't provide some logic behind your opinion it's a pretty worthless one.

Br0nc0Buster
09-04-2011, 08:35 AM

If you can't provide some logic behind your opinion it's a pretty worthless one.

Heres one
your team only played two teams last year that finished with a winning record

Looking at your schedule you will prolly see around 8 teams with winning records this year

Well see if you are just an average team who benefited from an easy schedule last year, or if you guys are knocking on the door of playoff success

Too early to tell one way or another

DarkHorse
09-04-2011, 08:40 AM
But they were up and walking around - no big deal, they're gonna be fine. Made perfect sense for Haley to keep them in there against scrubs so that they could finally score a TD.

JJJ
09-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Now that guys are injured they are threats you folks were worried about. How unsurprising.

The guy was very impressive last year and by midyear it was pretty obvious he was a real threat, especially to defenses that are very prone to bad games against tight ends, like the Bolts.

Bolt fans know to look out for the other teams tight ends as they always inflict the most damage on us. Hell, even Scheffler used to chew up the Bolts and spit them out for lunch.

Ironlung
09-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Is that an indicator of regular season success?

No, but when a team looks god awful...It doesn't exactly make one think they'll be worth a damn. The chiefs didn't just look bad this preason, they looked pathetic.

Ironlung
09-04-2011, 09:27 AM
With the o-line kc is trotting out there, I'd be VERY concerned. I'd be surprised if you guys can run the ball this year. Last year cassel was runnin for his life A LOT, this years line is worse...no big deal?

09-04-2011, 10:17 AM
The guy was very impressive last year and by midyear it was pretty obvious he was a real threat, especially to defenses that are very prone to bad games against tight ends, like the Bolts.

Bolt fans know to look out for the other teams tight ends as they always inflict the most damage on us. Hell, even Scheffler used to chew up the Bolts and spit them out for lunch.

Moeaki did almost nothing against the Chargers last year.

The guy is not Jason Witten. He had 500 yards receiving last year.

He is a good player but if Breaston and Baldwin play up their abilities the Chiefs will be fine.

HAT
09-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Heres one
your team only played two teams last year that finished with a winning record

Not only that.....

Rivers :drown:
Seneca Wallace ROFL!
Alex Smith ???
Todd Bouman Hilarious!
Ryan Fitzpatrick notsofast
Derek Andersen :oyvey:
Matt Hasselbeck :olddude:
Orton :griese:
Sam Bradford hmmm...
Kerry Collins :loser:

Dedhed
09-04-2011, 10:46 AM

Umm... read the rest of the post you quoted, dolt.

09-04-2011, 11:27 AM
I did. You gave no reasoning. You said Haley was a whiny sap. Even if he is a whiny sap, it's been working for him fairly well.

09-04-2011, 11:28 AM
You want to know what a coaching aberration is?

John Fox.

Three winning seasons in nine years.

CEH
09-04-2011, 11:34 AM
You want to know what a coaching aberration is?

John Fox.

Three winning seasons in nine years.

5 playoff wins in 9 years. Remind me again how many playoff wins for KC in the last 5 years, 10 years, 20 years (have I reached 5 wins yet ) 30 years?

Shanny had 1 in the last 12 years

09-04-2011, 11:35 AM
5 playoff wins in 9 years

ROFL!

Nice spin.

Three winning seasons in nine years is pathetic.

Herm won playoff games, too. Didn't make him a good coach.

AmericanBroncFan
09-04-2011, 11:38 AM

He is a good player but if Breaston and Baldwin play up their abilities the Chiefs will be fine.

Your little woman QB cassy won't have time to throw to anybody anyway. Cassy will quit and your baby HC will cry against Denver.

09-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Your little woman QB cassy won't have time to throw to anybody anyway. Cassy will quit and your baby HC will cry against Denver.

You guys strut large for a division cellar dweller.

Dedhed
09-04-2011, 11:45 AM
I did. You gave no reasoning. You said Haley was a whiny sap. Even if he is a whiny sap, it's been working for him fairly well.
I get that as a Chief's fan you're probably slightly behind the intelligence curve, but if we're going to have a conversation I'm going to need a little reading comprehension on your part.

I said that whiny saps aren't successful for long because their act gets tired quickly. Haley's whiny approach to the game has maxed out as a HC, in my opinion, because of his approach.

AmericanBroncFan
09-04-2011, 11:47 AM
You guys strut large for a division cellar dweller.

Its still your cellar. We rented it. kc has been there more than the raiders lately. 10 wins in 3 years LMAO! You won't have the easiest schedule in NFL history for your scrub players and baby B***H HC to look good with.

09-04-2011, 11:49 AM
I said that whiny saps aren't successful for long because their act gets tired quickly. Haley's whiny approach to the game has maxed out as a HC, in my opinion, because of his approach.

Haley has had great success everywhere he has been, so your reasoning isn't sound.

He has the full support of his players, too. Zero signs of locker room turmoil created by his coaching style.

Keep grasping at straws, Haley is the best coach in the division and will outlast all the other current coaches.

09-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Its still your cellar. We rented it. kc has been there more than the raiders lately. 10 wins in 3 years LMAO! You won't have the easiest schedule in NFL history for your scrub players and baby B***H HC to look good with.

This is the dumbest reasoning you morons have come up with all offseason, but you keep ****ing that chicken.

The entire division plays the same teams for the most part so it makes no difference.

JJJ
09-04-2011, 11:53 AM

Never said he did anything against the Chargers. You don't read so well.

He is a good player and you will miss his presence at the TE position. Pope is a definite downgrade. He only had 76 yards last receiving last year. Pretty simple.

AmericanBroncFan
09-04-2011, 11:54 AM
This is the dumbest reasoning you morons have come up with all offseason, but you keep ****ing that chicken.

The entire division plays the same teams for the most part so it makes no difference.

It took Denver 30 yrs to have a season you had 3 years straight. It will be another 30 yrs for the next one. Your SB trophy is old it doesn't count. If weren't alive when your team won you can't call yourself a Champioship fan. You're nobetter than chugger fans.

09-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Never said he did anything against the Chargers. You don't read so well.

He is a good player and you will miss his presence at the TE position. Pope is a definite downgrade. He only had 76 yards last receiving last year. Pretty simple.

All things considered the passing game could be better even without him.

This isn't Tony Gonzalez we're talking about.

JJJ
09-04-2011, 12:05 PM
All things considered the passing game could be better even without him.

This isn't Tony Gonzalez we're talking about.

There are very few TG's out there.

But do you want us to believe you would prefer to have Moeaki out for the year than not? Come on.

But I will bite. So how exactly will it make your passing game even better having Pope in the lineup versus Moeaki?

09-04-2011, 12:08 PM
There are very few TG's out there.

But do you want us to believe you would prefer to have Moeaki out for the year than not? Come on.

But I will bite. So how exactly will it make your passing game even better having Pope in the lineup versus Moeaki?

I'm just saying the passing game could be better even without Moeaki, if Breaston and Baldwin play up to their abilities and Cassel continues to improve.

Our receiver corps is much deeper this year.

KCStud
09-04-2011, 12:11 PM

He was injured on the first play of the second quarter. And it's not like this was a complete surprise injury. Moeaki came into camp on the PUP list because of an undisclosed injury. He had problems conditioning so I wouldn't be surprised if it was his knee.
When a player already has an injury concern, you have to be extremely cautious because a long-term injury can occur right when they get back into the swing of things. Look at Ty Warren. He was out all last year and then rushed right back into things and now he's hurt again. That's why the Texans are going to be careful with Foster. Minor problems with knee's and hamstring's can turn into serious injuries at any time until the minor injury is completely healed.

KCStud
09-04-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm just saying the passing game could be better even without Moeaki, if Breaston and Baldwin play up to their abilities and Cassel continues to improve.

Our receiver corps is much deeper this year.

Don't be delusional Clayton. Moeaki had the best hands on the team. Breaston should do well. He's a proven veteran receiver, but Baldwin is a huge "if". He has all the talent in the world, but missing practice as a rookie after no OTA's or practices until training camp due to the lockout could hurt.

KCStud
09-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I get that as a Chief's fan you're probably slightly behind the intelligence curve, but if we're going to have a conversation I'm going to need a little reading comprehension on your part.

Haley doesn't have a whiny approach to the game. He challenges players every day, mentally and physically and he's a prick. He doesn't baby his players like Herm and Vermeil did.

09-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Don't be delusional Clayton. Moeaki had the best hands on the team. Breaston should do well. He's a proven veteran receiver, but Baldwin is a huge "if". He has all the talent in the world, but missing practice as a rookie after no OTA's or practices until training camp due to the lockout could hurt.

We're talking about replacing 500 yards.

Between Urban, Breaston and Baldwin, that should not be difficult, and then some.

broncosteven
09-04-2011, 01:07 PM
All eyes on Cassel and Baldwin now :pray:

You mean all eyes on Thomas Jones neck punching Baldwin now.

KCStud
09-04-2011, 01:08 PM

Between Urban, Breaston and Baldwin, that should not be difficult, and then some.

We're not just talking about replacing 500 yards (I bet Moeaki would have had around 700 if he played this year). We're gonna have a lot of plays that we can no longer run because we don't have a big bodied TE that can run like a receiver and get open. Teams are not going to defend the middle of the field as much as they would if Moeaki was there. LB's are going to cover the inside passing lane to WR's because nobody is afraid of Pope as a receiver.
We now have a one dimensional TE which is gonna hurt unless Baldwin plays like Bowe did in his rookie year. That remains to be seen.

broncosteven
09-04-2011, 01:10 PM
ROFL!

Nice spin.

Three winning seasons in nine years is pathetic.

Herm won playoff games, too. Didn't make him a good coach.

When did Herm take a team to the SB?

KCStud
09-04-2011, 01:10 PM
You mean all eyes on Thomas Jones neck punching Baldwin now.

Or all eyes on the bench where you'll find your messiah QB. Ha!

KCStud
09-04-2011, 01:11 PM
When did Herm take a team to the SB?

Vermeil took a team to the SB too. Doesn't mean Fox is gonna take the Broncos to glory

boltaneer
09-04-2011, 01:26 PM
We're not just talking about replacing 500 yards. We're gonna have a lot of plays that we can no longer run because we don't have a big bodied TE that can run like a receiver and get open. Teams are not going to defend the middle of the field as much as they would if Moeaki was there. LB's are going to cover the inside passing lane to WR's because nobody is afraid of Pope as a receiver.
We now have a one dimensional TE which is gonna hurt unless Baldwin plays like Bowe did in his rookie year. That remains to be seen.

Hey KCStud makes a good point for once. ;)

I completely agree. It't not about replacing the yards and Moeaki isn't TG by any stretch of the imagination but his replacement isn't the same type of TE that Moeaki is. Defenses can now defend the Chiefs differently.

Cassel didn't have a Moeaki type in NE and he held on to the ball too long so they really limited the kinds of plays that they ran. Ultimately they tweaked the playcalling and he was very effective but it was a very short, quick passing attack but nothing that scared defenses down the field.

But the Chiefs ran the ball as well as anyone last year so that's why I made my "run Charles into the ground" comment. The threat of Charles should still open up big play action possibilities though. But I still think losing Weiss and Moeaki is going to hurt them a lot in the passing game.

broncosteven
09-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Or all eyes on the bench where you'll find your messiah QB. Ha!

Not my messiah, he is mCds mistake. To me he is an above avg Bradlee Van Pelt and since Van Pelt had his career game vs KFC I see more of the same coming from Timbo.

broncosteven
09-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Hey KCStud makes a good point for once. ;)

I completely agree. It't not about replacing the yards and Moeaki isn't TG by any stretch of the imagination but his replacement isn't the same type of TE that Moeaki is. Defenses can now defend the Chiefs differently.

Cassel didn't have a Moeaki type in NE and he held on to the ball too long so they really limited the kinds of plays that they ran. Ultimately they tweaked the playcalling and he was very effective but it was a very short, quick passing attack but nothing that scared defenses down the field.

But the Chiefs ran the ball as well as anyone last year so that's why I made my "run Charles into the ground" comment. The threat of Charles should still open up big play action possibilities though. But I still think losing Weiss and Moeaki is going to hurt them a lot in the passing game.

I agree, I had to actually rep him, I wonder if his smarter big brother highjacked his account or something.

09-04-2011, 01:31 PM
I still think losing Weiss and Moeaki is going to hurt them a lot in the passing game.

We were 30th.

What's going to happen, we drop two spots?

I won't be surprised to see the Chiefs' passing game improve quite a bit.

Smilin Assassin
09-04-2011, 01:34 PM
The things that become 3 page threads on the Mane never cease to amaze me.

KCStud
09-04-2011, 01:40 PM
We were 30th.

What's going to happen, we drop two spots?

I won't be surprised to see the Chiefs' passing game improve quite a bit.

I think it will be about the same with McCluster improved and Breaston making plays. It's up to Baldwin. He has a good rookie year like Dwayne Bowe and Dez Bryant than we're in business. But like I said...that remains to be seen.

Rolandftw
09-04-2011, 05:38 PM
KC's improved their WR's. I'd be more worried if I felt Cassel might actually use all of his WR's targets, instead of mainly zeroing in on Bowe.

Breaston will be very good if used correctly. Baldwin is a gigantic question mark.

cutthemdown
09-04-2011, 06:36 PM

You are shortsighted. The TE not being a factor makes it easier to guard the WR and tougher for them to have big years. Baldwin isn't ready and I doubt you get much from him this yr. I actually was thinking Moeki would go for more like 800 yrds this yr. Remember he was a rookie last yr and just getting started. Breaston may be able to help out at WR but he doesn't help you create matchup problems with the linebackers. Now linebackers will only have to worry about Charles. It's a tough loss for the Chiefs. They would have been better off losing Baldwin for the yr because I doubt he does much this yr.

Kaylore
09-04-2011, 09:09 PM
You are shortsighted. The TE not being a factor makes it easier to guard the WR and tougher for them to have big years. Baldwin isn't ready and I doubt you get much from him this yr. I actually was thinking Moeki would go for more like 800 yrds this yr. Remember he was a rookie last yr and just getting started. Breaston may be able to help out at WR but he doesn't help you create matchup problems with the linebackers. Now linebackers will only have to worry about Charles. It's a tough loss for the Chiefs. They would have been better off losing Baldwin for the yr because I doubt he does much this yr.

For Bob, it's merely a math problem.

The Joker
09-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Lol, quality trolling from Bob here.

cutthemdown
09-04-2011, 10:55 PM
For Bob, it's merely a math problem.

Well I know some really smart dudes who would say everything is an equation, but you might not ever be able to get all the factors figured out to solve it. Football does have a math quality to it, but he's still way off. He's not taking into account what it means to the LOS/the flats, and right down the seem in the middle of the field when you lose your TE. You can't just solve that with a 3rd or 4th WR.