PDA

View Full Version : Source: Chris Johnson gets $53M

maher_tyler
09-01-2011, 03:01 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6916193/chris-johnson-tennessee-titans-agree-deal-source-says-worth-53m

Greeeeeeeeed!! I'd never pay a RB that much money..unless it was TD's identical twin.

GreatBronco16
09-01-2011, 03:05 PM
He can buy him a new grill now.

Pick Six
09-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Stories like this should ALWAYS be the response to people who want to believe that football players actually care about the fans...or the game, for that matter...

baja
09-01-2011, 03:06 PM
I predict many teams will lose money in the coming seasons.

Chris
09-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Call me crazy but isn't he overrated? He had a great season 2 years ago... but he was inconsistent last year. A lot of teams found ways to bottle him up (weirdly, including us).

Mountain Bronco
09-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Bad decision by the Titans. $30 million guaranteed as well from what I read. That is a ton of money for a dude that one play away from having his career ended (All RB really are).

maher_tyler
09-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Call me crazy but isn't he overrated? He had a great season 2 years ago... but he was inconsistent last year. A lot of teams found ways to bottle him up (weirdly, including us).

I was fully expecting him to break rushing records against us that game.

Smiling Assassin27
09-01-2011, 03:15 PM
AP's drooling about now.

DBroncos4life
09-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Bad decision by the Titans. $30 million guaranteed as well from what I read. That is a ton of money for a dude that one play away from having his career ended (All RB really are).

And yet you you think the ones that make it 12 years and rush for over 11k are not HOF worthy.

bronco militia
09-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Peterson should be the highest paid RB. He is treated like a slave after all.

KCStud
09-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Anybody else see Chris Johnson go the way of Larry Johnson? They're very similar. Both of their coaches ran their legs off and now CJ got his money like LJ, so what is there to prove?
CJ's already dropped off last year. I can see him slowing even more.

enjolras
09-01-2011, 03:36 PM
And yet you you think the ones that make it 12 years and rush for over 11k are not HOF worthy.

I think you measure running backs by their peak productivity (over a 3-5 year stretch).

maher_tyler
09-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Bad decision by the Titans. $30 million guaranteed as well from what I read. That is a ton of money for a dude that one play away from having his career ended(All RB really are).

He has had over 1k touches his first 3 seasons. He's due for a serious injury.

serious hops
09-01-2011, 03:38 PM
He can buy him a new grill now.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7140/hemigrill.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/hemigrill.jpg/)

PRBronco
09-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Anybody else see Chris Johnson go the way of Larry Johnson? They're very similar. Both of their coaches ran their legs off and now CJ got his money like LJ, so what is there to prove?

Even worse is CJ's game is 100% speed based.

maher_tyler
09-01-2011, 03:40 PM

1,364 yards rushing, 4.3 per, 11 TD's...44 rec, 225 yards, 5.6 per, 1 TD is a pretty good year when your the only threat on the field. I'm sure defenses game planned the **** out of him..just sayin.

KCStud
09-01-2011, 03:48 PM
1,364 yards rushing, 4.3 per, 11 TD's...44 rec, 225 yards, 5.6 per, 1 TD is a pretty good year when your the only threat on the field. I'm sure defenses game planned the **** out of him..just sayin.

He's gonna wear down though if they keep pounding the rock with him. CJ has 975 carries in his career. Jamaal Charles only has 487 and they were both drafted in 2008. CJ has more carries in his last 2 seasons (675) than Charles does in his career. He's gonna burnout in the next few year. No way his body can take that.

KCStud
09-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Major props to Pioli for signing Charles this summer to a 5 year, $32.5 million and $13 million guaranteed contract :thanku::thumbsup:

serious hops
09-01-2011, 04:18 PM

Yea, I don't think he's exactly washed up just yet. While you can't ever be surprised when a RB gets injured-- let alone a slightly built one like CJ-- I think he's probably got some very productive years left. Enough to justify that guaranteed money? Probably not, but they're obviously hoping he can at the very least give them enough good years that the cap hit won't be overwhelming if they do have to cut him before the end of it.

Dicey risk on their part, but I'm not sure their management's other choices were more appealing. It was time for some changes there, but they fired the coach they've had since leather helmet days, lost their stud D-line coach, parted ways with their starting QB and former #3 overall pick, lost some good veteran LBs, etc etc. They pretty much had to get CJ on the field if they wanted to maintain any semblance of attempting to compete this year. So they overpaid the guy, knowing they'll have to meet a high salary floor in a year or two anyway. And Locker didn't break the bank-- gotta pay someone eventually, may as well pay the only consistent threat you have on offense.

I do agree with the sentiment that they'll probably regret it at some point when he breaks down and they still owe him way more than they'd like, but they're most likely just crossing their fingers that he has enough left to give them time to get Locker established. IF their FO knows what they're doing, they'll add another solid back soon (if they don't think ringer is that guy already) who can handle some of the chain-moving duties. Maximize Johnson's role in the passing game and try to be a bit more judicious with his carries, especially the between-the-tackles stuff.

I'm not saying they have to baby the guy-- you paid him, you want the ball in his hands a lot-- but he doesn't necessarily have to run the ball 20+ times every game to make a big impact. Last year he carried 316 times, while all their other backs combined for less than 60. And CJ was their leading receiver as well. There's definitely a good chance of him getting hurt and leaving them looking stupid if they intend to keep working him at that pace, no doubt. The fact that he hasn't had any camp, practice, pre-season or anything is another concern. They're truly stupid if they throw him out right away and don't manage his workload pretty carefully at first. You hope he's kept in shape, but he hasn't had any game action in a long time. IMO, Munchak's a friggin' idiot if he gives CJ 20+ carries and 3-5 catches the first week.

But, if managed properly, I'd say they probably made the best(ish) of a bad situation. If they start Hasselbeck and Ringer week one, basically nobody wins except Bud Adams' bank account. The other players wouldn't be happy, the coaches wouldn't be happy, and the league and the team's fans damn sure wouldn't be happy.

Realistically, I almost think you should just go ahead and pay that type of really good RB while he's young rather than dragging it out and letting the numbers for the position go up every year. You have better odds of getting good return on all your money, you earn a little goodwill pretty much all around, avoid the yearly distraction and (assuming he's a solid worker) get the guy in early and working every year instead. You have the option to play hardball, it's all set up at the RB position-- make them play out their rookie deal and get their best years for cheap, then franchise them a couple seasons if they're still worth it. You can squeeze out all their good years without ever giving them a big long-term deal, especially now that rookie deals are more manageable.

But if you aren't prepared to dig in your heels to the bitter end, wouldn't it ultimately be better to just bite the bullet and pay them early?

Mountain Bronco
09-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I think you measure running backs by their peak productivity (over a 3-5 year stretch).

Bingo. I would rather have Bo Jackson for 4 years or TD for 4 years than Fred Taylor for 12. 1 pro bowl, no superbowls, no MVP's (never even in the discussion really).

Chris Johnson already has a better shot at the HOF IMO than Fred Taylor, because he accomplished something great, not just something good.

dbfan21
09-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Stupid story, but what the hell so here it goes...

I sat next to CJ on a Southewest Airlines flight from Nashville to Orlando a couple months after he got drafted by the Titans. Therefore, he was tough to recognize in regular clothes. I knew he was an athlete due to his size/build. Anyway, I was scared to say anything to him on the flight because he has a "tick" due to tourret's. Every 20-30 seconds, he'd shake his head and his dreads would fly around. I thought maybe he was coming down from a drug high or something.

It was only when I was watching a Titans game and saw him on the sidelines doing the same "head shake" that I put 2 and 2 together.

DBroncos4life
09-01-2011, 04:49 PM

I don't think you should knock the ones that play longer and are productive while doing it.

Doggcow
09-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Peterson is being a class act about it, didn't even worry about his contract, and this year he will play balls to the wall.

I love Adrian Peterson. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite PLAYERS ever. Not just RB.

PRBronco
09-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Stupid story, but what the hell so here it goes...

I sat next to CJ on a Southewest Airlines flight from Nashville to Orlando a couple months after he got drafted by the Titans. Therefore, he was tough to recognize in regular clothes. I knew he was an athlete due to his size/build. Anyway, I was scared to say anything to him on the flight because he has a "tick" due to tourret's. Every 20-30 seconds, he'd shake his head and his dreads would fly around. I thought maybe he was coming down from a drug high or something.

It was only when I was watching a Titans game and saw him on the sidelines doing the same "head shake" that I put 2 and 2 together.

Hah, that's actually a cool story bro :) I totally didn't know he had tourettes.

Lestat
09-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Adrian Peterson is gonna bend the vikings over and rape them so much it's going to be criminal. He has to be grinning like a Cheshire cat after seeing those numbers.
There is no way on earth Minny will ever be able to say "that's too much." after the Joe Thomas, Larry Fitzgerald and now Chris Johnson deals.

Bronx33
09-01-2011, 05:56 PM
and everybody wonders why it cost 100 bucks to see a game anymore.

dbfan21
09-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Hah, that's actually a cool story bro :) I totally didn't know he had tourettes.

thanks!! ^5

Lestat
09-01-2011, 06:59 PM
no offense, but leisure enjoyment price are like taxes. they're always going to go up. they may use something as a reason to drive them up but they were going to raise them anyways.

bottom line is, the NFL knows it's fans will pay for tickets, merchandise and etc to show their support for their teams.
it doesn't matter if they're $10 or $1,000. someone will always pay to support their team.
and everybody wonders why it cost 100 bucks to see a game anymore.

Bronx33
09-01-2011, 07:30 PM
no offense, but leisure enjoyment price are like taxes. they're always going to go up. they may use something as a reason to drive them up but they were going to raise them anyways.

bottom line is, the NFL knows it's fans will pay for tickets, merchandise and etc to show their support for their teams.
it doesn't matter if they're $10 or $1,000. someone will always pay to support their team.

When will it end? ( that's the big question)

Broncos_OTM
09-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Peterson is being a class act about it, didn't even worry about his contract, and this year he will play balls to the wall.

I love Adrian Peterson. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite PLAYERS ever. Not just RB.

that made me crack up. they pay slaves now a days huh

KipCorrington25
09-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Hold out and now big contract, he'll blow a knee out within 30 days it never fails.

Lestat
09-01-2011, 08:31 PM
on multiple fantasy teams of mine, will hunt you down if happens.
Hold out and now big contract, he'll blow a knee out within 30 days it never fails.

Lestat
09-01-2011, 08:32 PM
whenever people stop forking over the $$$
When will it end? ( that's the big question)

Bronx33
09-01-2011, 08:33 PM
whenever franchises stop forking over the $$$

fixed

cutthemdown
09-01-2011, 10:30 PM
It's actually not even 10 mil a yr, only 9 mil more garaunteed then dengello Williams who isn't even in same ball park. Peterson makes more, Fitz makes more, it's a fair deal.

boppool
09-01-2011, 10:52 PM
In my fantasy league (money league), he fell on my lap at 9th pick overall...
Today, this guy who had the first pick overall offered me Arian Foster for Chris Johnson straight up. which I promptly declined... lol

Agamemnon
09-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Even worse is CJ's game is 100% speed based.

Which is why he's the most overrated back in the league. That 2000 yard season of his came off of an inordinate number of big gainers, not consistent production, which is what teams really need from their run games.

Agamemnon
09-02-2011, 12:38 AM
In my fantasy league (money league), he fell on my lap at 9th pick overall...
Today, this guy who had the first pick overall offered me Arian Foster for Chris Johnson straight up. which I promptly declined... lol

Arian Foster > Chris Johnson assuming he gets healthy.

cutthemdown
09-02-2011, 03:05 AM
Which is why he's the most overrated back in the league. That 2000 yard season of his came off of an inordinate number of big gainers, not consistent production, which is what teams really need from their run games.

BS. He did break a lot of 40 plus ones that yr, 7, but also had 22 20 plus yrd carries. He is a threat top score everytime he has ball and that is rare from any position. Only a handful league wide.

He's not over rated he's one of the biggest weapons in the league and well worth what they paid.

Honestly you have the worst football takes of anyone on the board.

LOL he's over rated because all he gets are 40 yrd runs all yr long. What and idiot you are. Listen to how stupid that sounds.

cutthemdown
09-02-2011, 03:07 AM
Arian Foster > Chris Johnson assuming he gets healthy.

in a ppr league, if hes healthy and plays every game he may be ranked a spot higher then Johnson.

ozomulsion
09-02-2011, 04:18 AM

Can't see it. Like, not at all. Two VERY different running backs. That's just a crazy post dude. Ha! He did pretty good to have nearly 1400 yards on that disaster of a team.

ozomulsion
09-02-2011, 04:22 AM

That's why Berry Sanders was overrated too. Nice take www.denverbroncos.com. They'll appreciate your knowledge more than us.

Agamemnon
09-02-2011, 06:40 AM
BS. He did break a lot of 40 plus ones that yr, 7, but also had 22 20 plus yrd carries. He is a threat top score everytime he has ball and that is rare from any position. Only a handful league wide.

He's not over rated he's one of the biggest weapons in the league and well worth what they paid.

Honestly you have the worst football takes of anyone on the board.

LOL he's over rated because all he gets are 40 yrd runs all yr long. What and idiot you are. Listen to how stupid that sounds.

It's amazing to me how the biggest idiots on this board are the first to bash a person's football knowledge.

Breaking off big plays is great, but if that's the meat of a back's production while he's constantly stuffed otherwise, then he's likely going to be overrated. A team needs its running game to produce consistently much more than it needs a big run or two in a game. Chris Johnson completely fails at that aspect of the job. Thus he is overrated.

But you're an idiot so keep thinking the run game is just a pass game where you hand it off... ::)

Agamemnon
09-02-2011, 06:50 AM
And to further prove my point actually look at his stats the year he went for 2000 yards. Something like 40% of his total production came on roughly 30 carries. That makes his stats look nice, but it also shows how wildly inconsistent he is on a per carry basis.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying he's not a very good player because he is. I'm just saying he's highly overrated because he isn't very good at what a feature back needs to be good at: gaining yards with every carry. He's all speed and speed backs are never consistent or reliable as feature backs.

DENVERDUI55
09-02-2011, 10:09 AM

WHat back has had 2000 yards and didn't break several long TD's?

baja
09-02-2011, 10:10 AM

Terrell Davis

Agamemnon
09-02-2011, 10:15 AM

Not the point. Long runs aren't a bad thing. But with Chris Johnson they form the bilk of his production, while he fails to consistently grind out yards.

Agamemnon
09-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Terrell Davis

TD broke long runs here and there in that 2000 yard season. But he didn't live off them.

Lestat
09-02-2011, 12:14 PM
if player salaries don't go up then the owners can't claim a need to up prices based upon increased costs.
so as i said before. until fans refuse to pay it will always continue to rise.

almost no one ever thought the NFL would ever grow into a 9+ billion dollar revenue making empire. there were times when tickets were probably outrageously priced at $10. but times change and so do prices.
fixed

Lestat
09-02-2011, 12:17 PM
TD's bread and butter was one cut and find the hole. he did what he was supposed to do, carry the rock 30+ times a game, get those tough yards and wear the defense down.
TD was the guy who hit for average and cracks a home run every now and then.
Johnson is a different back, he can dance around, make people miss and be bottled up for 80% only to rip off a 50 yard yarder and beef up those stats.
Johnson is that guy who's average isn't as great but he belts a ton of home runs and makes you ooh and aah.
Terrell Davis

Agamemnon
09-02-2011, 02:42 PM
TD's bread and butter was one cut and find the hole. he did what he was supposed to do, carry the rock 30+ times a game, get those tough yards and wear the defense down.
TD was the guy who hit for average and cracks a home run every now and then.
Johnson is a different back, he can dance around, make people miss and be bottled up for 80% only to rip off a 50 yard yarder and beef up those stats.
Johnson is that guy who's average isn't as great but he belts a ton of home runs and makes you ooh and aah.

Football isn't baseball. God I hate sports metaphors for other sports...

DENVERDUI55
09-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Terrell Davis

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/790/year/1998/terrell-davis

11 runs over 20 yards and 5 40 plus. In some of those games he had multiple long runs see dallas game but game log only shows longest of the game. TD was a consistent runner but he also had a lot of long runs too just like every other 2000 yard rusher.

cutthemdown
09-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Except that Chris Johnson actually does really well in short yardage for a small back. If he couldn't pick up a 3rd down, then maybe over rated because of the big runs, but that isn't the case. He's not over rated, he's among the biggest offensive weapons in the NFL. I would kill to have a player like Johnson in Denver.

cutthemdown
09-02-2011, 03:51 PM
anyone have stats on negative or less then 2 yrd carries. I can't find those anywhere.

DENVERDUI55
09-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Except that Chris Johnson actually does really well in short yardage for a small back. If he couldn't pick up a 3rd down, then maybe over rated because of the big runs, but that isn't the case. He's not over rated, he's among the biggest offensive weapons in the NFL. I would kill to have a player like Johnson in Denver.

He did have second most broken tackles last year. Pretty good considering he is overrated.

Agamemnon
09-02-2011, 04:21 PM

Seriously? The guy has almost zero ability to push the pile. What does "does really well in short yardage for a small back" mean to you exactly? Even in short yardage situations he tries to finesse it, and he often fails.

Agamemnon
09-02-2011, 04:23 PM
He did have second most broken tackles last year. Pretty good considering he is overrated.

That stat has virtually nothing to do with his ability to gain yardage consistently. It simply shows that he's good at making people miss or try to arm tackle him.

DENVERDUI55
09-02-2011, 04:44 PM
That stat has virtually nothing to do with his ability to gain yardage consistently. It simply shows that he's good at making people miss or try to arm tackle him.

Well the stat apply's to everyone so it must mean something.

Agamemnon
09-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Well the stat apply's to everyone so it must mean something.

It means he's a very good back. Saying he's overrated doesn't mean I don't think he's good. I just don't think he's nearly as good as the hype would seem to indicate. Or more to the point I don't think his style of running is as conducive to winning as a more consistent, grinding feature back.

TomServo
09-05-2011, 01:52 AM
only one RB in history made 2000 yards in a season count for an NFL title . hmmm who was that? CJ ran in all 16 games. what RB sat out two entire games the year they ran for 2K? OJ? that rams RB? (i forget). that wuss on the ravens who sat out goal lines? barry sanders?
no, it was our guy TD.

cutthemdown
09-05-2011, 02:02 AM

He also has nearly 200 first down carries in his 4 yr career. Pretty friggin good if you ask me. He's not over rated at all. Most see Peterson as the top back anyways. It always cracks me up when people will argue that one of the best players in the league is over rated. He's not over rated, he's a stud and everyone knows it. He may hit the hole as fast as any back i have ever seen. Not only that he's only 190 lbs but just run with abandon. Also he's very Marcus Allen like in that he squirms forward as he's going down, and seems to avoid the huge hit by slipping under the main thrust of the tackle.

IMO he's one of the top 5 offensive weapons in the whole NFL.

Shananahan
09-05-2011, 05:43 AM
It always cracks me up when people will argue that one of the best players in the league is over rated. He's not over rated, he's a stud and everyone knows it.
Yeah. It's a good indicator of someone who just likes to argue and nitpick.

Why is it necessary to compare the guy to Davis, anyway? Johnson is probably going to wear down faster than most, but at his best he's been really, really, really good and it's ridiculous to hear somebody say his style of running isn't conducive to winning football games. He's only averaged 300 carries for 1,500 yards, 50 receptions for 300 yards and 13 touchdowns a season his first three years in the league. I'm not exactly sure what more you're expecting a running back to do to help his offense win games.

Agamemnon
09-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Yeah. It's a good indicator of someone who just likes to argue and nitpick.

Why is it necessary to compare the guy to Davis, anyway? Johnson is probably going to wear down faster than most, but at his best he's been really, really, really good and it's ridiculous to hear somebody say his style of running isn't conducive to winning football games. He's only averaged 300 carries for 1,500 yards, 50 receptions for 300 yards and 13 touchdowns a season his first three years in the league. I'm not exactly sure what more you're expecting a running back to do to help his offense win games.

What was the Titans record the year he went 2000 yards? Did they make the playoffs?

Shananahan
09-05-2011, 05:54 AM
That's an illogical way to judge whether or not his running style is conducive to winning games, though.

Are you suggesting that maybe if Johnson didn't break so many long runs and plodded along steadily for the same amount of carries, yards, receptions and touchdowns that the team would have won more games and made the playoffs?

Agamemnon
09-05-2011, 06:04 AM
That's an illogical way to judge whether or not his running style is conducive to winning games, though.

Are you suggesting that maybe if Johnson didn't break so many long runs and plodded along steadily for the same amount of carries, yards, receptions and touchdowns that the team would have won more games and made the playoffs?

It's really very simple. Consistent yards production trumps burst production all other things being equal. It helps the defense (through time of possession). It helps the passing game (by creating more manageable passing situations). It is more conducive to winning football games.

That doesn't mean Chris Johnson isn't a great player. He's just not as great as his stats suggest, at least not in terms of helping his team win.

So to answer your question directly, yes they would've been more likely to win more games and get to the playoffs if he "didn't break so many long runs and plodded along steadily for the same amount of carries, yards, receptions and touchdowns". That would've helped his defense and QB much more.

Shananahan
09-05-2011, 06:27 AM
You make it sound like all of his yards are coming on long runs. He's a home-run threat, but it's not like he's getting stuffed at the line nine times out of ten and killing drives. And I get what you're saying about a consistent rushing attack, but gimme a break. The guy broke the NFL record for yards in a season and averaged almost six yards a carry with 16 touchdowns. He also had to deal with the 24th-or-whatever ranked passing offense in the league. Between the dynamic duo of Kerry Collins and Vince Young the team had a total of 16 passing touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

He doesn't run like Emmitt Smith. Seems like a pretty silly thing to hold against him in light of his production.

Agamemnon
09-05-2011, 06:31 AM
You make it sound like all of his yards are coming on long runs. He's a home-run threat, but it's not like he's getting stuffed at the line nine times out of ten and killing drives. And I get what you're saying about a consistent rushing attack, but gimme a break. The guy broke the NFL record for yards in a season and averaged almost six yards a carry with 16 touchdowns. He also had to deal with the 24th-or-whatever ranked passing offense in the league. Between the dynamic duo of Kerry Collins and Vince Young the team had a total of 16 passing touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

He doesn't run like Emmitt Smith. Seems like a pretty silly thing to hold against him in light of his production.

Dude you keep acting like I'm saying he's a crap back or something. I never said any such thing.

Agamemnon
09-05-2011, 06:39 AM
only one RB in history made 2000 yards in a season count for an NFL title . hmmm who was that? CJ ran in all 16 games. what RB sat out two entire games the year they ran for 2K? OJ? that rams RB? (i forget). that wuss on the ravens who sat out goal lines? barry sanders?
no, it was our guy TD.

OJ only played in 14 games as that was the length of the season back then.

Shananahan
09-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Dude you keep acting like I'm saying he's a crap back or something. I never said any such thing.
Well, you called him inconsistent, less reliable than a 'feature back' and the most overrated player at his position in the league. I guess that's not the same as saying he's crap, but it seems like you're trying hard to invalidate his success.

What's a 'feature back', anyway? I mean, Johnson's averaged 350 touches or so for about 1,800 total yards and 13 touchdowns. How much more should he be featured?

Beantown Bronco
09-05-2011, 06:49 AM
It's really very simple. Consistent yards production trumps burst production all other things being equal. It helps the defense (through time of possession). It helps the passing game (by creating more manageable passing situations). It is more conducive to winning football games.

To back this point up, Tennessee was 25th in TOP that season. Yikes.

Agamemnon
09-05-2011, 06:54 AM
Well, you called him inconsistent, less reliable than a 'feature back' and the most overrated player at his position in the league. I guess that's not the same as saying he's crap, but it seems like you're trying hard to invalidate his success.

What's a 'feature back', anyway? I mean, Johnson's averaged 350 touches or so for about 1,800 total yards and 13 touchdowns. How much more should he be featured?

He is the most overrated back in the league I stand by that. He's put on the same level as the likes of Adrian Peterson by many, and considering his production is highly inconsistent play to play and game to game to me that means he's highly overrated. I do not value speed backs like many on this board do. I see them for what they are: big play threats that can't be relied on to get tough yards in key situations or to grind it out and maintain TOP. To me Chris Johnson should be a part of a tandem (like Jamaal Charles), not a team's feature back. His 2000 yard season warps the perception of him, but the truth is that it was an anomaly (resulting from an improbable number of big runs that he will almost certainly never come close to replicating). The 600 yard dropoff the following year proves that.

He's a great talent, but he isn't the all-around feature back people act like he is, and therefore is highly overrated.

Agamemnon
09-05-2011, 06:55 AM
To back this point up, Tennessee was 25th in TOP that season. Yikes.

Thank you. Nice find.

TheReverend
09-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Just to clarify:

We have guys talking about how "good" Knowshon is

and

People saying CJ shouldn't get paid

brb rolling eyes.