PDA

View Full Version : Do you like John Fox?

bronclvr
08-31-2011, 10:36 AM
I realize it's a subjective question, however I was re-watching last Saturday's Game last night, and when they interviewed him at the the end of the Game, he seemed like he was finally willing to talk at length(maybe because we won?).

In the other Fox interviews that I have watched he seemed like he didn't have time for the interview, and I wondered if he is a jerk or just doesn't care for the Media-

So, the thought occurred to me-will he be embraced by the Bronco faithful? Will his likability be solely based to win/losses?

Shanahan was well liked, but always seemed to use the "well, anytime that you".......line, and for me, at least, it got a bit old-I always thought that he felt like he was just a little bit better than everyone else. I think he is a bit milquetoast-he really doesn't seem to have much personality.

McD was a snob, and, as far as I could tell, not very approachable-

As for Fox, I really don't know his history-you can always look at the win/loss record (of course, that is really what matters, but), I wonder what he is like as a person-the Players all seem to like him. I haven't seen his show on sunday night (has anyone here?)-in the end, will he be remembered like McD, or Shanahan?

If you don't like this Thread, don't read it, but I was wondering if Bronco fans like him or it's too early to tell-

bronco militia
08-31-2011, 10:38 AM
I like him....he seems to have a lot of fun on gamedays and he's always in the zebra's ears about their ****ty calls

so far so good!

vancejohnson82
08-31-2011, 10:43 AM
I like him as more than a friend

alkemical
08-31-2011, 10:44 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcST7aoNDN9Qrmrvw-TIz-e5zjAaUOZPSeLOgr-JGTXw0pRdCWND

DBroncos4life
08-31-2011, 10:45 AM
I like him, he doesn't appear to be a control freak.

supermanhr9
08-31-2011, 10:45 AM
SO far so good. Ask again mid season.

cmhargrove
08-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Defense and run game - me likey!

TailgateNut
08-31-2011, 10:47 AM
I like his composure and the way he handles himself on game day. IMO, a sign of a good coach is one who feels confident enough that he has trained his players sufficiently during the week that he doesn't have to run around like a crazed maniac on game day and allows/trusts his asst. coaches and coordinators to do their jobs.

Spider
08-31-2011, 10:49 AM
I like Fox ...I dont think he has all the right people on Defense he wants yet , but even n Vanilla preseason you can see such a difference

Powderaddict
08-31-2011, 10:51 AM
I realize it's a subjective question, however I was re-watching last Saturday's Game last night, and when they interviewed him at the the end of the Game, he seemed like he was finally willing to talk at length(maybe because we won?).

In the other Fox interviews that I have watched he seemed like he didn't have time for the interview, and I wondered if he is a jerk or just doesn't care for the Media-

So, the thought occurred to me-will he be embraced by the Bronco faithful? Will his likability be solely based to win/losses?

Shanahan was well liked, but always seemed to use the "well, anytime that you".......line, and for me, at least, it got a bit old-I always thought that he felt like he was just a little bit better than everyone else. I think he is a bit milquetoast-he really doesn't seem to have much personality.

McD was a snob, and, as far as I could tell, not very approachable-

As for Fox, I really don't know his history-you can always look at the win/loss record (of course, that is really what matters, but), I wonder what he is like as a person-the Players all seem to like him. I haven't seen his show on sunday night (has anyone here?)-in the end, will he be remembered like McD, or Shanahan?

If you don't like this Thread, don't read it, but I was wondering if Bronco fans like him or it's too early to tell-

I like him.

I like how he has handled the QB controversy. He’s got the team believing in him, and IMO that may be the biggest battle to win, and one of the most important for a new coach. Get the leaders in the locker room to buy in right from the get go.

I’ve seen him on the sidelines rubbing Tebow’s hair after the 3 penalty play, fist bumping players after a good play, coaching and offering encouragement from the sidelines. The players seem to really like the guy, and seemed to be playing with more fire and passion than we’ve seen in some time. He seems like a motivator and teacher.

His choice in DC says a lot about him. He didn’t bring on a yes man he can bully around *cough*Wink*cough* he’s brought a bright young mind that can compliment him. Successful people surround themselves with people who bring something to the table they do not.

He had a bad year in Carolina last year, so I do have some questions lingering in the back of my mind, but I think he was the right hire at the right time for our franchise that was in disarray.

bendog
08-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Freeading Asshole wont' start TEBOW! Next question.

DBroncos4life
08-31-2011, 10:53 AM
I like Fox ...I dont think he has all the right people on Defense he wants yet , but even n Vanilla preseason you can see such a difference

I think he is letting Dennis Allen do his own thing.

TailgateNut
08-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Freeading a-hole wont' start TEBOW! Next question.

LOL

Had to inject some drama, didn't ya?

worm
08-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Given where we were as a franchise, Elway made the right call with this hire.

Maybe he isn't the best, most exciting long-term coach for the Denver Broncos....but he has been a stabilizing force at a time when we really needed it.

Garcia Bronco
08-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Yes. I like him

Garcia Bronco
08-31-2011, 11:07 AM

Maybe he isn't the best, most exciting long-term coach for the Denver Broncos....but he has been a stabilizing force at a time when we really needed it.

this. /end the thread

DarkHorse30
08-31-2011, 11:09 AM
I like him, he doesn't appear to be a control freak.

this. He's been around long enough to know how to BUILD a team.

PRBronco
08-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Yes. I liked him before he was the Broncos coach tbh, just always seemed like a good guy.

BroncosSR
08-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Not sure if I like him, like him, like him yet. But definitely like him, like him.

Man-Goblin
08-31-2011, 11:27 AM
I like him so much that when I talk about him to co-workers and my wife, I refer to him as the "Silver Fox". Then I put my pants back on.

WABronco
08-31-2011, 11:27 AM
I'd like him a lot more if he wasn't white. Kill whitey!

Beantown Bronco
08-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Ladies and gentlemen of the OMane, I know you've spent all morning listening to us talk; I know you're hungry; what I need to tell you won't take very long at all. I don't like John Fox. I don't think he's a nice person. I don't expect you to like him. He's been a terrible husband to all three of his wives; he's been a destructive force in the lives of his stepchildren; he's cheated the city, his partners, his employees. He's paid hundreds of thousands of dollas in penalties and fines over the years. I don't like him. I'm going to tell you some things during the course of this season that are going to make you like him even less. But this isn't a popularity contest; it's a message board.

spdirty
08-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Yes. First off, he seems comfortable in his own skin. Second, he isn't Mcd. Third, he seems like just a guy who loves to coach football...not a mad genius or mad scientist, just a football coach. Nothing more, nothing less. Fourth, he understands that you have to have great players to win. Not some magic bean system with subpar talent. Like to previous poster, I liked him when he was with Carolina. Would be nice to see him raise the Lombardi someday.

enjolras
08-31-2011, 11:30 AM
He'll be a superbowl winner in this organization.

broncocalijohn
08-31-2011, 11:31 AM
I like Fox. He seems to know how to draft, is defensive minded, doesn't cut running backs that can play, doesn't sign retreads of players and plans on playing them, doesn't cheat with illegal film, seems to let his coordinators coach and gets along with them and will actually turn the team around. I would say a tad different then our past.

55CrushEm
08-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Ladies and gentlemen of the OMane, I know you've spent all morning listening to us talk; I know you're hungry; what I need to tell you won't take very long at all. I don't like John Fox. I don't think he's a nice person. I don't expect you to like him. He's been a terrible husband to all three of his wives; he's been a destructive force in the lives of his stepchildren; he's cheated the city, his partners, his employees. He's paid hundreds of thousands of dollas in penalties and fines over the years. I don't like him. I'm going to tell you some things during the course of this season that are going to make you like him even less. But this isn't a popularity contest; it's a message board.

The Devil's Advocate.........nice.

bronco militia
08-31-2011, 11:36 AM

why wait? start talking

Gort
08-31-2011, 11:46 AM

stability is the key. he seems like an old school coach to me. won't do anything too crazy on offense or defense. reminds me of a HS or Div. II football coach. probably not the smartest guy in any room he's ever been in.

compared to the "boy genius" (McD) and "Dr. Evil" (Shanny in his later years here), Fox is probably a breath of fresh air around Dove Valley. that said, i don't expect him to be here 5-6 years from now. he's a transitional coach. to get us out of the dysfunction of the past 10+ years and into a new period of stability.

Gort
08-31-2011, 11:48 AM
I'd like him a lot more if he wasn't white. Kill whitey!

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l73uhbHy5w1qc0m6fo1_500.jpg

strafen
08-31-2011, 11:50 AM
I like Fox. It tastes like chicken...
Ha!
On a serious note. He's what we needed.
He'll bring respectability back to the franchise.
Our defense will be better, hard-nose defense, and hopefully in a year or so, a tough running attack...

rbackfactory80
08-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Truthfully, I think he is wrong on Tebow. I do think he is a hell of a football coach though. So the only reason I can see him not starting Tim is because he really believes Denver can make the playoffs THIS YEAR with a game manager. Orton is a better QB when not asked to throw it 50 times a game.

I still think Orton will blow up when the lights are on, but I am ready to watch it play out.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Like him. Glad we got him. He seems like a steady hand to me, with a focus on defense and running game. Plus, like some others have mentioned, he's "just" a football coach.

I like my coaches to run the team like a CEO: trust your staff, oversee the day-to-day, but let people do their jobs.

Paladin
08-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Like him? I don't know. Never met him. Otherwise, he's a football coach. Eh?

errand
08-31-2011, 12:08 PM

People questioned NYG when they hired Tom Coughlin.....too regimented and strict they cried......but sometimes a coach that holds players accountable is what's needed

enjolras
08-31-2011, 12:17 PM
People questioned NYG when they hired Tom Coughlin.....too regimented and strict they cried......but sometimes a coach that holds players accountable is what's needed

Except that Fox's players, both here and in Carolina, seem to love to play for the guy.

ColoradoDarin
08-31-2011, 12:22 PM
If he wins, yes.

If he loses, no.

(and I can reserve judgment for a couple of seasons)

gyldenlove
08-31-2011, 12:23 PM
I don't know him personally so I really can't say, but to my knowledge he is not a guy who kicks puppies or hates cheese so those are good signs.

Powderaddict
08-31-2011, 12:26 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fox_(American_football)

Personal life

John Fox was born in Virginia Beach, Virginia and raised in San Diego, California after moving there at age 15. His father Ron was a US Navy SEAL. Fox is married to Robin Fox. They have three sons: Matthew, Mark and Cody, and a daughter, Halle. Fox is an active community leader in the Carolinas. He and his wife Robin co-chair the annual Angels & Stars Gala benefiting St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

If I can't trust wikipedia, who can I trust?

Kaylore
08-31-2011, 12:45 PM
I like him. His demeanor and respect are immediately apparent from the time he walks on the field. Also, he is immortal and cannot die except you take his head, and with it, his power. From the dawn of time his kind came, moving silently down through centuries, living many secret lives, until the time of the gathering, when the few who remain will battle to the last. In the end, there can be only one; May it be John Fox - the Highlander.

DBroncos4life
08-31-2011, 12:45 PM

Personal life

John Fox was born in Virginia Beach, Virginia and raised in San Diego, California after moving there at age 15. His father Ron was a US Navy SEAL. Fox is married to Robin Fox. They have three sons: Matthew, Mark and Cody, and a daughter, Halle. Fox is an active community leader in the Carolinas. He and his wife Robin co-chair the annual Angels & Stars Gala benefiting St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Pretty sure what bean said is all lies. He married Robin in 1985.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17109487

On a Sunday in late February 1985, the former Robin Militello had been married for less than 24 hours in her hometown of St. Louis when she and her new husband, an energetic young football coach named John Fox, caught a flight from St. Louis to Los Angeles and rushed to the Coliseum. There, the United States Football League's Los Angeles Express was about to play the Houston Gamblers​.

"John handed me one ticket," Robin recalled at the Broncos' Dove Valley headquarters. "I'm looking at him and asking, 'Where do I go?' He says, 'Oh, just follow the other wives, you'll figure it out.'

"I'm sitting in the Coliseum by myself, three hours before the game started. And I'm going, 'What in the world did I just do?' "

It was opening day of the spring league's season, and Fox, the Express' new defensive backfield coach, was about to coach his first regular-season game in pro football.

Tombstone RJ
08-31-2011, 12:50 PM
I like him because he's a defense first coach and we haven't had that since... well, Wade Phillips.

Bowlen's coaching history since Reeves is somthing like this: Long term coach (Reeves), transitional coach (Phillips), long term coach (Shanny), transitional coach (McD), Long term coach (Fox)?

Yep, we are on the LTC side of things...

bpc
08-31-2011, 12:51 PM
I do like Fox. Seems passionate, good football guy, knows how to push the right buttons thus far and his defenses always seem pretty good to me.

Compared to the last dildo we had in here, the dude might be the second coming of Lombardi to Bronco fans. We'll see if he can win the big one here. I think he'll have a stabilizing affect on the franchise which is what we need. Hopefully the FO/Bowlen will give him the ammunition needed to win some divisions and playoff games.

Spider
08-31-2011, 12:51 PM
I like him. His demeanor and respect are immediately apparent from the time he walks on the field. Also, he is immortal and cannot die except you take his head, and with it his power. From dawn of time his kind came, moving silently down through centuries, living many secret lives, until the time of the gathering, when the few who remain will battle to the last. In the end, there can be only one; May it be John Fox - the Highlander.

Star Wars ?

Beantown Bronco
08-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Pretty sure what bean said is all lies. He married Robin in 1985.

You took my post seriously?

55 even correctly pointed out that it was a direct quote from The Devil's Advocate (with the exception of the name change and changing "jury" to "OMane"). I'm disappointed to say the least.

Beantown Bronco
08-31-2011, 12:53 PM
Star Wars ?

LOLROFL!

DBroncos4life
08-31-2011, 12:58 PM

55 even correctly pointed out that it was a direct quote from The Devil's Advocate (with the exception of the name change and changing "jury" to "OMane"). I'm disappointed to say the least.

I was just telling the other poster it was lies. ;D

mkporter
08-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Star Wars ?

Braveheart obviously. ROFL!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-31-2011, 01:04 PM
In France he would be called "le renard" and he would be hunted with only his cunning to protect him.

baja
08-31-2011, 01:13 PM
At first I had my doubts. I thought geez we hired the only coach that had a worse record than us. Now as time has gone by I have really warmed up to him. I like that he lets the OC and DC do their jobs and I really like the fact the players like playing for him and showing their enthusiasm on the field. I like the way he relates to the players when they come off the field. I like the way he is handling the QB situation as well. I think is is exactly what Denver needed at this time. I give him an 8.5 to this point in time.

55CrushEm
08-31-2011, 01:15 PM

Sorry for the slight derailment.....but I loved that movie. Al Pacino was great in it......here's a taste.......carry on.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Huxya3_OcDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kaylore
08-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Star Wars ?

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sa62jiVSLVM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kaylore
08-31-2011, 01:58 PM
BTW, unlike that dirty, slandering man-whore Beantown, my post was total fact. The Highlander was a documentary. The events were filmed in real-time.

Mogulseeker
08-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Fox has a ton of knowledge and is a players coach. Different football philosophy than what I would have, but I'll get over it.

Fox has been to the big show a few times, but as far as I know he's never won it. Hopefully he'll get over that hump here.

baja
08-31-2011, 01:59 PM
BTW, unlike that dirty, slandering man-whore Beantown, my post was total fact. The Highlander was a documentary. The events were filmed in real-time.

what are his rates?

Mountain Bronco
08-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Simple. He wins I like him. He shows progress with a young team I will tolerate him. He doesn't show progress and keeps losing, I will not like him. Bottom line is he needs to win for me to like him. It is the only reason I like Shanny for so many years. He won.

bronco militia
08-31-2011, 02:06 PM

at least you picked a good movie......

Gort
08-31-2011, 02:37 PM
I like him because he's a defense first coach and we haven't had that since... well, Wade Phillips.

Bowlen's coaching history since Reeves is somthing like this: Long term coach (Reeves), transitional coach (Phillips), long term coach (Shanny), transitional coach (McD), Long term coach (Fox)?

Yep, we are on the LTC side of things...

...because a pattern based on only 4 data points always holds up, right?

;)

Mogulseeker
08-31-2011, 02:41 PM

Personal life

His father was a SEAL? I like him a little more now, haha.

Mogulseeker
08-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Simple. He wins I like him. He shows progress with a young team I will tolerate him. He doesn't show progress and keeps losing, I will not like him. Bottom line is he needs to win for me to like him. It is the only reason I like Shanny for so many years. He won 8 games a season.

Fixed it for you.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-31-2011, 02:43 PM
I like that he is the polar opposite of the shiathead he replaced.

Gort
08-31-2011, 02:57 PM
His father was a SEAL? I like him a little more now, haha.

although the SEALs didn't exist until 1962 (Fox was born in 1955). the fact that Fox was born in Virginia Beach and then moved to San Diego with his family at age 15 does match up geographically with the 2 main SEAL team's homebases. sounds like his father was career Navy and although he probably started out as a UDT, he may well have been one of the original SEALs.

OABB
08-31-2011, 03:02 PM
HE's been one of my favorite coaches in the nfl for a long time. Was very happy when we hired him.

Requiem
08-31-2011, 03:09 PM
He was the only coach to win less games than McDaniels last year. What is not to like?

bronco militia
08-31-2011, 03:13 PM
although the SEALs didn't exist until 1962 (Fox was born in 1955). the fact that Fox was born in Virginia Beach and then moved to San Diego with his family at age 15 does match up geographically with the 2 main SEAL team's homebases. sounds like his father was career Navy and although he probably started out as a UDT, he may well have been one of the original SEALs.

Always on the move

At birth in Virginia Beach, Va., and during his mother's previous marriages, the future coach was John St. George and John Hutchison. Then, in mid-1960, Kaye met and married a rough and tough Navy SEAL, Ron Fox, and John's name changed again. "In my mind, he was my dad," John said. "He was always great to me, always treated me like his own son."

In 1970, when John was in the early stages of high school, the family moved to the San Diego area, where Ron trained SEALs. "I started getting frisky, thinking maybe I could take my dad if we wrestled," John said. "My brother and I went down to Coronado with him, because they had a diving tower and we loved to swim there. He was in charge of the equivalent of detention, and they had them in these 'combat' rooms, and we proceeded to watch him beat the tar out of two of 'em at once, so I changed my mind about mouthing off to my dad."

Read more: Broncos coach John Fox brings to Denver a long football history - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17109487#ixzz1WdwqVINT
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Taco John
08-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Seriously though, what's not to like?

errand
08-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Except that Fox's players, both here and in Carolina, seem to love to play for the guy.

Didn't fox serve on coughlin's staff in NY as DC?

Miss I.
08-31-2011, 03:26 PM
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sa62jiVSLVM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That bastard, He killed Connor! ;D

PRBronco
08-31-2011, 03:29 PM

Jim Byrnes still rocks out here in Vancouver city :) Which is also where the tv show was filmed! The more you know™

FireFly
08-31-2011, 03:37 PM
I like him because he's exactly what our team needed. That and he seems like a good guy

Miss I.
08-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Jim Byrnes still rocks out here in Vancouver city :) Which is also where the tv show was filmed! The more you know™

well and to be fair I was talkin about Duncan. What I also think is funny and I forgot this, Sean Connery is in the movies but he plays a Spaniard when he is really the only one of them who is actually a Scot. Adrian Paul is English and Christopher Lambert was born in the US, but is actually French (which kind of explains his occasional French sounding Scots accent). And he used to be married to Diane Lane.

And I like our coach, but I also hoped for good things from McDaniels, so don't know what that says about my taste. I guess I just want whoever our coach is to succeed because that usually means our team will succeed too.

Mountain Bronco
08-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Fixed it for you.

And back to back super bowls. He will be a HOF inducted as a Bronco :wave:

Mountain Bronco
08-31-2011, 04:17 PM
He also averaged about 10 wins a year D-bag.

WolfpackGuy
08-31-2011, 04:21 PM
I like him better than the clueless idiot who was masquerading as a coach/GM for 28 of the last 32 games.

gunns
08-31-2011, 04:21 PM
So far I like him. His main interest seems to be the game and not running the whole show. And damn, he seems to know something about defense, how refreshing.

baja
08-31-2011, 04:24 PM
DO I like John Fox?

I don't know. Does he like candle lit dinners? Romantic walks on the beach? And is he hung like Trigger?

AZorange1
08-31-2011, 04:37 PM
I like him because his name is FOX. Foxes are cool, they are smart, they are elusive, they are soft and furry and above all, DEM FOXES love DEM CHICKENS!

Gcver2ver3
08-31-2011, 04:40 PM
if we win i'll like him, if not i won't...

i'll know by season's end...not going to do like i did with McD...

Mogulseeker
08-31-2011, 04:42 PM

You forgot about the former SERE facility in Brunswick, Maine

Mogulseeker
08-31-2011, 04:43 PM
I hope we give him more than 1 and 1/2 years like with McD.

~Crash~
08-31-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't like him I love him.

~Crash~
08-31-2011, 04:45 PM

I agree McD should of got atleast one more year oh well ...:yayaya:

Rock Chalk
08-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Star Wars ?

HIghlander dude.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-31-2011, 04:48 PM

I would be really difficult to f--k up to the degree widdle Joshie did. Fox might have to literally blow up the team in order to beat McD's record for fastest shiatcanning.

DBroncos4life
08-31-2011, 04:50 PM

McD didn't get the number two overall draft pick fast enough for ya?

Rock Chalk
08-31-2011, 04:51 PM
I would be really difficult to f--k up to the degree widdle Joshie did. Fox might have to literally blow up the team in order to beat McD's record for fastest shiatcanning.

Except Shanahan got **** canned faster than McD did in his first head coaching gig.

Just saying.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Except Shanahan got **** canned faster than McD did in his first head coaching gig.

Just saying.

Getting canned from the Raiders should be a badge of honor.

Rock Chalk
08-31-2011, 04:56 PM
Getting canned from the Raiders should be a badge of honor.

Fair point.

Lestat
08-31-2011, 05:27 PM
i like him, you can already tell he's brought a new attitude to this organization. he's exactly what this team needed, a vet coach who the players will respect and love to play for.
hopefully the team can be put together and win a couple of superbowls while he's here.

Hamrob
08-31-2011, 08:03 PM

I like Fox. He's a players coach who allows his staff to earn their money. He may not be the long term answer.

But, I sure do like Allen's potential!!!

Hamrob
08-31-2011, 08:04 PM

Just saying.And, then he owned the Raiders.

bowtown
08-31-2011, 08:05 PM
FOX = HAM

Hamrob
08-31-2011, 08:06 PM
I couldn't stand McD.

However, I admit I wanted us to hire him...b/c I thought he was the right guy for our offense. I was wrong.

And, even though I wanted him gone in a big way...

I think he will be a very good HC in this league eventually.

He cut his teeth with our team...and that's what pissed me off...Bowlen should have never allowed him to be GM!

Goobzilla
08-31-2011, 08:14 PM
The anti-McPoopy Pants. Yes please!

Hogan11
08-31-2011, 08:14 PM
stability is the key. he seems like an old school coach to me. won't do anything too crazy on offense or defense. reminds me of a HS or Div. II football coach.

The knock on him is that he is boring, but I'll trade flash for the above anyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

seanpgk
08-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Didn't fox serve on coughlin's staff in NY as DC?

Sure did. D coordinator when they played in SB vs Ravens.

I like him. Also met him on a SW flight from Denver to LA in mid-July. He sat across the aisle from me. He was going to Disneyland with his wife and grandchildren. This is about 8-10 days away before the lockout ended. Wished him good luck and told him I'm glad he's here. He said "Glad to be here" and reached out to shake my hand. Very cool, relaxed guy. Polar opposite of McD.

We also had the same flight home that Sunday. More people recognized him this time. People chatted with him, wished him luck, etc. He's very comfortable in his own skin.

He got a raw deal his last year in Carolina. He's a top-tier coach. Glad he landed here with Elway.

broncosteven
08-31-2011, 08:19 PM
I like his composure and the way he handles himself on game day. IMO, a sign of a good coach is one who feels confident enough that he has trained his players sufficiently during the week that he doesn't have to run around like a crazed maniac on game day and allows/trusts his asst. coaches and coordinators to do their jobs.

Or after his 5th win of the season.

mCd just dripped of inmaturity what with his "were just trying to win a ****ing game" and his goosestepping around Mile High after beating Belly.

bowtown
08-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Sure did. D coordinator when they played in SB vs Ravens.

I like him. Also met him on a SW flight from Denver to LA in mid-July. He sat across the aisle from me. He was going to Disneyland with his wife and grandchildren. This is about 8-10 days away before the lockout ended. Wished him good luck and told him I'm glad he's here. He said "Glad to be here" and reached out to shake my hand. Very cool, relaxed guy. Polar opposite of McD.

We also had the same flight home that Sunday. More people recognized him this time. People chatted with him, wished him luck, etc. He's very comfortable in his own skin.

He got a raw deal his last year in Carolina. He's a top-tier coach. Glad he landed here with Elway.

Actually Coughlin wasn't the coach of the Giants for that SB. Fassel was. Fox never coached under Coughlin.

seanpgk
08-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Actually Coughlin wasn't the coach of the Giants for that SB. Fassel was. Fox never coached under Coughlin.

Yep, you're right. I just knew he was the D coordinator. Almost forgot about Fassel!

Hogan11
08-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Or after his 5th win of the season.

mCd just dripped of inmaturity what with his "were just trying to win a ****ing game" and his goosestepping around Mile High after beating Belly.

Unfortunately, some love this stuff because they live for immaturity in sports these days

bowtown
08-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Yep, you're right. I just knew he was the D coordinator. Almost forgot about Fassel!

I live in New York and in a split household... I have pics of Eli Manning on the fridge (not something I'm happy about). You will never hear a bad word about Fox in this city though. He also cut his teeth under Noll and had a stint coaching for Al Davis and quit on him out of the blue during preseason leaving Davis in the lurch and fuming... this should be a prerequisite for any Denver coach. Guy was the best candidate available this offseason and will cement his legacy in this league as a coach for the Denver Broncos. Needless to say, I'm really fired up to have him here.

maher_tyler
08-31-2011, 08:42 PM
I like him. His demeanor and respect are immediately apparent from the time he walks on the field. Also, he is immortal and cannot die except you take his head, and with it, his power. From the dawn of time his kind came, moving silently down through centuries, living many secret lives, until the time of the gathering, when the few who remain will battle to the last. In the end, there can be only one; May it be John Fox - the Highlander.

Hilarious!

strafen
08-31-2011, 09:28 PM

Just saying.

G'damned! do we still have idiots defending McDaniels?

Tombstone RJ
09-01-2011, 10:15 AM
...because a pattern based on only 4 data points always holds up, right?

;)

This data encompasses the entire ownership time span of one Pat Bowlen. If you can find more comprehensive data, well sir, be my friggen guest. :twokisses

Gort
09-01-2011, 12:30 PM
This data encompasses the entire ownership time span of one Pat Bowlen. If you can find more comprehensive data, well sir, be my friggen guest. :twokisses

just giving you a hard time. here's another 4 data point assertion.

01/15/1978 - DAL 27, DEN 10
01/25/1987 - NYG 42, DEN 20
01/31/1988 - WAS 42, DEN 10
01/28/1990 - SF 55, DEN 10

01/29/1990 - based on the first 4 trips to the superbowl, you could well have said, "The Broncos will never win a superbowl!"

see how that works?

Tombstone RJ
09-01-2011, 12:48 PM
just giving you a hard time. here's another 4 data point assertion.

01/15/1978 - DAL 27, DEN 10
01/25/1987 - NYG 42, DEN 20
01/31/1988 - WAS 42, DEN 10
01/28/1990 - SF 55, DEN 10

01/29/1990 - based on the first 4 trips to the superbowl, you could well have said, "The Broncos will never win a superbowl!"

see how that works?

I understand but regardless, the data is what it is and it's based on the entire length of ownership for Bowlen. But you are right, past history does not necessarily dictate future results. Especially with a senile old drunk like Pat Bowlen, now pass the scotch!

TotallyScrewed
09-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Shanahan milque-toast? The term "milquetoast" entered the language as the label for a timid, shrinking, apologetic person. Doesn't seem like Shanahan to me. He was once called a little dictator by a couple of players that got sideways to him.

Fox? I like that he hasn't traded away anybody worth a shiat or abandoned half the offense due to two bad plays and he drafted Von Miller. He's a winner by subtracting. I'm not sure that the Broncos will win a whole lot more games than last year but I really think that watching them play could be a lot more palatable.

Baba Booey
09-01-2011, 08:31 PM
http://cheezburger.com/Builder/RenderPreview/9213fc72-ec23-4950-82e9-e7195ed7f735

Agamemnon
09-02-2011, 12:21 AM
After the latest game I really have to say my answer hinges on what he does at the QB position to start the season. If he still makes Quinn our backup QB, I will definitely be leaning in the direction of "dislike".

mhgaffney
09-02-2011, 05:09 AM

Personal life

Hate to disappoint you -- but no you can't trust Wikipedia.

colonelbeef
09-02-2011, 07:35 AM
Yes I like him for many of the same reasons I liked Shanahan- he is confident and commanding without being condescending, he is smart, he has credentials, and he is an adult- he brings a lot of things back to the table that were lost the minute McShambles walked through the door.

colonelbeef
09-02-2011, 07:37 AM
G'damned! do we still have idiots defending McDaniels?

It's unbelievable.

I guess terrible judgment is here forever with some of these posters

ScottXray
09-02-2011, 12:03 PM
After the latest game I really have to say my answer hinges on what he does at the QB position to start the season. If he still makes Quinn our backup QB, I will definitely be leaning in the direction of "dislike".

+1....but I think he is a better coach than that and won't make the mistake of saying Q is 2nd. Hopefully he will find a way to keep Webber and not lose him through waivers, also. The simple answer is to cut Quinn ( or trade him ( very unlikely after last night)).

Webber strikes me as a QB that is more "Pro-ready" than Tebow ( in that he is a pocket passer) and yet still has better wheels than Quinn ( or Orton).
Sort of a cross between Orton and Tebow. He didn't get much PS playing time but he clearly did better than expected considering the Line he played behind.

Unfortunately Quinn is a fifth year guy, and his contract is more to eat.

DrFate
09-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Fox is a grown up.

(unlike the last guy)

PRBronco
09-02-2011, 12:14 PM
+1....but I think he is a better coach than that and won't make the mistake of saying Q is 2nd. Hopefully he will find a way to keep Webber and not lose him through waivers, also. The simple answer is to cut Quinn ( or trade him ( very unlikely after last night)).

Webber strikes me as a QB that is more "Pro-ready" than Tebow ( in that he is a pocket passer) and yet still has better wheels than Quinn ( or Orton).
Sort of a cross between Orton and Tebow. He didn't get much PS playing time but he clearly did better than expected considering the Line he played behind.

Unfortunately Quinn is a fifth year guy, and his contract is more to eat.

It's one preseason game, there's a lot of jumping to conclusions around here. The Adam Weber hype is particularly mindblowing.

Mogulseeker
09-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I couldn't stand McD.

However, I admit I wanted us to hire him...b/c I thought he was the right guy for our offense. I was wrong.

And, even though I wanted him gone in a big way...

I think he will be a very good HC in this league eventually.

He cut his teeth with our team...and that's what pissed me off...Bowlen should have never allowed him to be GM!

Agree 100%.

McD will be a good coach in the NFL someday. Not GM material. Needs to learn some people skills.

Mogulseeker
09-02-2011, 12:20 PM
And back to back super bowls. He will be a HOF inducted as a Bronco :wave:

Yeah, Joe Gibbs won a Super Bowl, too... should we hire him?

ScottXray
09-02-2011, 12:21 PM
It's one preseason game, there's a lot of jumping to conclusions around here. The Adam Weber hype is particularly mindblowing.

JMO. Quinn was really awful last night. Reminded me of the Washington game last year after Orton went down, then had to come back in when simms showed what he was made of (NOT).

Obviously he'd (Q) do better with the starting line, but so would TT and Weber. I'd rather cut Q than lose Weber through waivers ( not a certainty but a possibility). If we cut Q maybe some other team picks him and his contract up. It's just One more mistake by McD after a mistake by Cleveland. At least the Broncos drafted Weber.

jhns
09-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Why would you not like Fox?

Mogulseeker
09-02-2011, 01:58 PM

This is true, but he has looked awesome in camp.

bendog
09-02-2011, 02:17 PM
If Tebow can't beat out Quinn, I'm gonna start thinking bust. But, I'll be really surprised if Tebow isn't active, and quinn inactive, so long as Orton's healthy both to keep the Sports Authority campers happy and because Tebow really does bring something to the short yardage situations that would require opponents to spend time game planning.

Agamemnon
09-02-2011, 02:20 PM
If Tebow can't beat out Quinn, I'm gonna start thinking bust. But, I'll be really surprised if Tebow isn't active, and quinn inactive, so long as Orton's healthy both to keep the Sports Authority campers happy and because Tebow really does bring something to the short yardage situations that would require opponents to spend time game planning.

If? Did I miss something? He's beaten Quinn like a drum...

jhns
09-02-2011, 02:22 PM
If? Did I miss something? He's beaten Quinn like a drum...

Ignore the troll. He doesn't even watch the games.