PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mays

Jesterhole
08-31-2011, 06:51 AM
Can't say I'm too excited about Mays starting. I mean, he just reminds me of a wrecking ball. He is fun to watch on some plays because he'll get in there and smack someone, but that is his only dimension. I really miss Al Wilson in his prime...

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18793058

"Here are seven letters representing a trade from the Josh McDaniels​ era that worked in the Broncos' favor: Joe Mays.

"You have to have faith in yourself," said Mays, now Denver's starting middle linebacker. "I worked harder than I've ever worked before in an offseason. I have coaches who have faith in me, and it's paid off. They believe in me to go out there and lead the defense."

For all the personnel moves, all the draft picks that were traded, all the players who came and went in the past two years while not panning out for the Broncos, there is Mays. He came to Denver last August when McDaniels, the Broncos' coach at the time, traded tailback J.J. Arrington to the Eagles for Mays and a draft pick.

A year later, with McDaniels fired late in the 2010 season, Mays has found a home playing for a new Broncos regime and coaching staff.

"Joe was one of those guys you thought could have big things in his future," said Denver defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley, a teammate of Mays' in Philadelphia. "I think he just needed somebody to give him a chance."

Ironlung
08-31-2011, 07:41 AM
I'll take a wrecking ball over the turnstiles I'm used to seeing on the Bronco d.

Play2win
08-31-2011, 08:00 AM
If he can bring a Romanowski-type attitude to our linebackers-- especially against the run-- I'm all for it!!! :thumbsup:

PRBronco
08-31-2011, 08:02 AM
I hear boomhauer has this guy all figured out.

Drek
08-31-2011, 08:04 AM
He might be a liability on passing downs but his strength will be needed in the middle when our DTs struggle to keep guards off him.

We know what happens with an athletic MLB like DJ. Our interior DL lets guards pass through unmolested and wall him off. Time to try someone like Mays who's got the power to fend off a guard in close spaces and reach the RB.

Steve Sewell
08-31-2011, 08:06 AM
But but but he INTENTIONALLY injured our starting WLB!

bronclvr
08-31-2011, 08:12 AM
I like him!

vancejohnson82
08-31-2011, 08:12 AM
Joe Mays broke my sister's ribs on the day of her wedding

Play2win
08-31-2011, 08:14 AM

What did he do to Woodyard?

bronco militia
08-31-2011, 08:15 AM
Joe Mays broke my sister's ribs on the day of her wedding

she had it coming

vancejohnson82
08-31-2011, 08:21 AM
she had it coming

she had a DJ Williams jersey on

Powderaddict
08-31-2011, 08:26 AM
I'll take a wrecking ball over the turnstiles I'm used to seeing on the Bronco d.

Exactly!!!!

We NEED some intimidation, some fear, someone who will make opponents nervous that they may have an encounter with him.

Mays may be that man.

Von Doom patrolling the edges with Mays tearing $#!^ up in the middle.

I remember an interview (I think it was Mecklenberg but I could be wrong) talking about Atwater, saying you better get to your guy quick and keep your head down or Atwater was coming to take it off.

I want a tough physical defense. Some mean and nasty, some junkyard dog. Mays brings that.

missingnumber7
08-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Mays is the man when it comes to stopping the run, and I think that if you look at our issues over the past couple years that is the #1 problem with this defense. If you stop the run and now that we have something that resembles a pass rush I think we may be in business. Everyone has been knocking our D and honestly I think our D may be one of the most improved in the league.

And Joe is a monster. And needs to stay because I bought me a Joe Mays jersey.

Ambiguous
08-31-2011, 08:57 AM
I mean, he just reminds me of a wrecking ball.

I have absolutely no problems with this.

missingnumber7
08-31-2011, 09:17 AM
I have absolutely no problems with this.

Que video of him knocking said chiefs player out.

bronco militia
08-31-2011, 09:26 AM
mehh...it could be worse

http://www.procanes.com/files/natewebster.jpg

Dedhed
08-31-2011, 09:36 AM
He might be a liability on passing downs but his strength will be needed in the middle when our DTs struggle to keep guards off him.

We know what happens with an athletic MLB like DJ. Our interior DL lets guards pass through unmolested and wall him off. Time to try someone like Mays who's got the power to fend off a guard in close spaces and reach the RB.

I'm happy to trade a bit of liability in pass coverage for the fail that was DJ in the middle of our backing corps the last couple of years. Mays clearly adds some attitude and thump to the rush defense, and I would much rather try to use scheme to cover for his weaknesses than I would watch DJ get washed away on every running play.

dbfan21
08-31-2011, 09:37 AM
I think Mays will be fine at MLB. Hopefully he and Irving can rotate in and out to keep the position fresh and ready to take some heads off!

Too bad about all of the injuries to our DL and Williams. We would be much stronger with them in the lineup, but I still have high hopes for the defense this year under Allen's leadership!

Dedhed
08-31-2011, 09:43 AM
I think Mays will be fine at MLB. Hopefully he and Irving can rotate in and out to keep the position fresh and ready to take some heads off!

Too bad about all of the injuries to our DL and Williams. We would be much stronger with them in the lineup, but I still have high hopes for the defense this year under Allen's leadership!

I think Bunkley will be missed more than DJ. I don't see a huge drop between DJ and Woodyard at WLB. Bunkley was looking very solid before going down and hopefully he'll be ready to go week 1.

Cito Pelon
08-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Mays was a good pickup, IMO. He was basically who we got for Scheffler, right? Wasn't it a three way trade between Detroit, us, and Philly?

Smiling Assassin27
08-31-2011, 09:53 AM

He obviously blew up himself last year as well. Liability. ROFL!

bronco militia
08-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Mays was a good pickup, IMO. He was basically who we got for Scheffler, right? Wasn't it a three way trade between Detroit, us, and Philly?

it was mays for JJ Arrington

Drek
08-31-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm happy to trade a bit of liability in pass coverage for the fail that was DJ in the middle of our backing corps the last couple of years. Mays clearly adds some attitude and thump to the rush defense, and I would much rather try to use scheme to cover for his weaknesses than I would watch DJ get washed away on every running play.

DJ's problems in the middle largely stemmed from poor interior line play. DJ can't shed blockers, he needs to be kept free to use his speed and make plays. Putting him in the middle works if you have a line that keeps guys off him, otherwise he's going to get swallowed up and under perform.

Since we still have big DT questions we're better off with DJ at will and Mays at mike. Mays can shed blockers and still make plays happen. As long as we can keep him restricted to a two down 'backer role he should be ok. For that to happen we need DJ healthy or for Nate Irving to step up as the nickel mike for when we put Miller on the line and bump Ayers in.

Cito Pelon
08-31-2011, 10:02 AM
it was mays for JJ Arrington

What did we get for Scheffler? Sorry, don't mean to reroute the thread . . .

bronco militia
08-31-2011, 10:03 AM
What did we get for Scheffler? Sorry, don't mean to reroute the thread . . .

Tony Scheffler has been traded to the Detroit Lions in a 3-team deal that saw the Lions send LB Ernie Sims to Philadelphia and a 5th Round draft pick comes to Denver. The pick is Philadelphia's - #137 overall - via Cleveland.

The Broncos now have 6 picks in the Top-137 and are back in the 5th Round. They had originally traded away their 5th Round pick last summer to acquire LeKevin Smith from the Patriots.

The Lions get Scheffler, a talented pass-catching TE and a 7th Round pick from Denver.

Tombstone RJ
08-31-2011, 10:06 AM
I like Mays as the starting MLB, he likes to hit people.

Dedhed
08-31-2011, 10:23 AM
DJ's problems in the middle largely stemmed from poor interior line play. I don't disagree that the interior line play was poor, however...
DJ can't shed blockers

And not only that, but he can't hold up a blocker, even a TE or RB could wash him out of the middle leaving gaping running lanes in the middle of the defense. You can't have a MLB who can only be effective if he goes untouched. That's essentially what DJ was.

Cito Pelon
08-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Tony Scheffler has been traded to the Detroit Lions in a 3-team deal that saw the Lions send LB Ernie Sims to Philadelphia and a 5th Round draft pick comes to Denver. The pick is Philadelphia's - #137 overall - via Cleveland.

The Broncos now have 6 picks in the Top-137 and are back in the 5th Round. They had originally traded away their 5th Round pick last summer to acquire LeKevin Smith from the Patriots.

The Lions get Scheffler, a talented pass-catching TE and a 7th Round pick from Denver.

I guess I was thinking of Ernie Sims . . . . why, I don't know.

bendog
08-31-2011, 10:51 AM
If I see that guy in the shower, I'm ****ting myself

enjolras
08-31-2011, 12:18 PM
I still think McD's biggest mistake (and that's saying something) was letting Andra Davis go.

bronco militia
08-31-2011, 12:20 PM
I still think McD's biggest mistake (and that's saying something) was _________________.

fixed
Ha!

Kaylore
08-31-2011, 12:24 PM
If I see that guy in the shower, I'm ****ting myself

In before Zach says you're racist...

alkemical
08-31-2011, 12:32 PM

Bendog's a mudshark.

bronco militia
08-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Bendog's a mudshark.

BWHAHAHAH!

alkemical
08-31-2011, 12:36 PM
BWHAHAHAH!

We know it's true...

broncosteven
08-31-2011, 12:36 PM

It's only because that hot tub scene in Hall Pass was based on his life.

cousinal11
08-31-2011, 12:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9biPfmRxOK0

Onside hit by Mays, the best part is the scoreboard.

Jesterhole
08-31-2011, 09:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9biPfmRxOK0

Onside hit by Mays, the best part is the scoreboard.

wow, I had forgotten about that hit. Destroyed the guy. And the best part is still dude trying to walk afterwards...

Shananahan
08-31-2011, 11:52 PM
So... nobody has any worries at all about the guy?

So... we got a top-notch hitting MLB for almost nothing?

I gotta confess... I love the way he plays, but I'm not sure if it will lead to sound, solid defense. I get the impression that it will make people happy now and then, but then also leave the secondary hanging now and then as well.

alkemical
09-01-2011, 06:45 AM

I gotta confess... I love the way he plays, but I'm not sure if it will lead to sound, solid defense. I get the impression that it will make people happy now and then, but then also leave the secondary hanging now and then as well.

I wouldn't say that Bob. I personally feel that other than hits, he's got several fatal flaws. His limitation, IMO is - you might as well either run blitz, or pass blitz him each down. It'd probably be safer to cover the zone if you removed his liabilities.

BroncoInferno
09-01-2011, 07:41 AM
So, is Irving not looking too good, or is this just a case of the veteran stepping up his level of play to fend off the rookie? A little disappointed Irving hasn't been able to seize the starting spot. I really liked that pick.

Jesterhole
09-01-2011, 07:53 AM

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. I think he'll be a crowd pleaser on some plays, but people will be able to complete those short 3rd and 4 passes over the middle all day.

Heh...it'd be awesome to see him get some plays at fullback near the goal line.

~Crash~
09-01-2011, 08:07 AM
So, is Irving not looking too good, or is this just a case of the veteran stepping up his level of play to fend off the rookie? A little disappointed Irving hasn't been able to seize the starting spot. I really liked that pick.

Irving really is in a uphill battle he will be alright . I am glad we drafte him but Haggen is also a damn fine player . I see one of them traded for a NT but heck you cannot be down on a kid that really has had no snaps. had Mays stunk it up then I would be worried

~Crash~
09-01-2011, 08:07 AM

well that was strange

alkemical
09-01-2011, 08:15 AM
well that was strange

??

alkemical
09-01-2011, 08:16 AM

Irving really is in a uphill battle he will be alright . I am glad we drafte him but Haggen is also a damn fine player . I see one of them traded for a NT but heck you cannot be down on a kid that really has had no snaps. had Mays stunk it up then I would be worried

I think recovering from the car accident and missing a year set Irving back. I'm not really worried about it. Hopefully though, he pans out better than Terry Pierce.

~Crash~
09-01-2011, 08:18 AM
??

Double post .

Requiem
09-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Joe Mays is a legend, a man of myth and mystery at NDSU.

One of the Greatest Bison of All-Time!

HATERS GON' HATE JOE!

Br0nc0Buster
09-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Not sure if it will carry over to the regular season, but Mays has been a boss this preseason

He might be a weakness against the pass, but so far in the preseason it hasnt been that way

enjolras
09-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Not sure if it will carry over to the regular season, but Mays has been a boss this preseason

He might be a weakness against the pass, but so far in the preseason it hasnt been that way

He really benefits from what Miller and Doom can do. It limits his exposure quite a bit.

Dedhed
09-01-2011, 11:32 AM

Mays is probably a one year starter, and there are aspects of his game that are worrisome. That said, he's certainly an upgrade over DJ in the middle.

I think Irving will eventually take that starting spot. I think he's a much more well rounded MLB, and I think it would have been a real competition if we had had a regular off-season.

The lack of OTAs and mini-camps tipped the scales in favor of all veterans.

missingnumber7
09-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Mays is probably a one year starter, and there are aspects of his game that are worrisome. That said, he's certainly an upgrade over DJ in the middle.

I think Irving will eventually take that starting spot. I think he's a much more well rounded MLB, and I think it would have been a real competition if we had had a regular off-season.

The lack of OTAs and mini-camps tipped the scales in favor of all veterans.

While i may not disagree with the fact that he is a one year starter. He's better than any other MLB we've had in several years. He doesn't guess and he's a sure tackler. But in my honest opinion, as much as I would love to see him start in denver for a long time he just isn't that guy. He is far more valuable as a ST's guy and defensive hole filler. That being said, I think he is going to have a great year, and I hope he proves all of the doubters wrong.

Dedhed
09-01-2011, 11:58 AM
He's better than any other MLB we've had in several years.

That's a little like saying that he's better than a steaming pile of cow manure.

I agree that he'll have a nice year. I think that having Doom and Miller perfectly compliment Mays' style of play.

missingnumber7
09-01-2011, 12:52 PM
That's a little like saying that he's better than a steaming pile of cow manure.

I agree that he'll have a nice year. I think that having Doom and Miller perfectly compliment Mays' style of play.

If everyone stays healthy I believe our D will be scary good.

Dedhed
09-01-2011, 01:04 PM
If everyone stays healthy I believe our D will be scary good.I think that's optimistic, however, I do think that losing Dumervil was a crushing blow to that unit, and getting him back is a monster addition.

The pressure that he and Miller will bring will make them a legitimate unit at the very least, and they have the potential to be very good if everyone gels and they stay healthy.

I think getting DJ out of the middle and upgrading the safety position will have a huge impact as well.