PDA

View Full Version : Fullback option?

MABroncoFan
08-30-2011, 07:16 AM
JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
Lions inform FB Jerome Felton of his release this AM. Quality FB, but team doing in direction of keeping more TEs.
17 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

oubronco
08-30-2011, 07:27 AM
Why not but who do you cut

alkemical
08-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Tebow can play FB, then you could have a FB option.

Shoemaker
08-30-2011, 07:51 AM

I would guess Larsen/Sylvester, if they're not getting it done at FB.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-30-2011, 08:04 AM

:strong:

strafen
08-30-2011, 09:10 AM
I would guess Larsen/Sylvester, if they're not getting it done at FB.How so?
I thought Larsen outperformed Hillis to the point he made Hillis expendable.
Strange things!
We should've kept Hillis and made Moreno block for him... :strong:

Jekyll15Hyde
08-30-2011, 09:42 AM
How so?
Strange things!

Did you watch the last game? Larsen was either missing his block or getting destroyed on probably 2/3rds of the time. He is a big part of the problem with the short yardage issues IMO

Easily Larsen....

I seriously doubt someone would sign him if we cut him.

I get that he is a 'do whatever it takes' for the team kind of guy but his talent level just isnt anywhere where it needs to be

PRBronco
08-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Wow I was not aware of this Sylvester guy, any chance he's better than Larsen?

dbfan21
08-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Funny this came up. I re-watched the game yesterday on NFLN and was thinking that I would not be surprised if Larsen is cut and Rosario plays the FB position, while moonlighting at TE every once in a while. Sylvester's best chance is the practice squad.

Smiling Assassin27
08-30-2011, 10:19 AM
How so?
Strange things!

No way. Keep in mind that this was Josh McD who was evaluating players. Larsen was not out-performing Hillis, it was just that McD tossed Hillis into the doghouse early on and wrote him off completely, IMO.

Larsen is a bottom feeder when it comes to the FB position. He became a sort of cult hero around here but never was the road grader that could take a running game to a new level. Rosario's an option, but not a true FB. We need to invest in a guy that can lead block competently/consistently and takes pride in splattering guys.

Pontius Pirate
08-30-2011, 10:20 AM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/thrusting_hops.gif?w=300&h=410 (http://thechive.com/2011/08/30/gifs-zonk-me-out-already-would-ya/thrusting_hops/)

Man-Goblin
08-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Jerome Felton sounds like a fullback name...Spencer Larsen sounds like the token fat guy in a boy band with an awesome line beard.

2KBack
08-30-2011, 11:32 AM
No way. Keep in mind that this was Josh McD who was evaluating players. Larsen was not out-performing Hillis, it was just that McD tossed Hillis into the doghouse early on and wrote him off completely, IMO.

Larsen is a bottom feeder when it comes to the FB position. He became a sort of cult hero around here but never was the road grader that could take a running game to a new level. Rosario's an option, but not a true FB. We need to invest in a guy that can lead block competently/consistently and takes pride in splattering guys.

It was Shanahan that switched Larsen to FB....and Larsen was also ahead of Hillis on the Depth chart as a FB on Shanahan's team.

Smiling Assassin27
08-30-2011, 11:42 AM
It was Shanahan that switched Larsen to FB....and Larsen was also ahead of Hillis on the Depth chart as a FB on Shanahan's team.

I realize this. My point is that when Hillis became a legit running threat under Shanny, his days as FB were over. Larsen was then installed under Shanny and also under McD. Hillis became a washout (13 carries) while Larsen was still being used at FB. Then Hillis gets shipped and Larsen becomes the only real #1 FB and the run game suffers. Again, he's never been a legitimate FB, but more of a hybrid H-Back than anything else, and certainly never a road grader as a lead blocker.

BroncoMan4ever
08-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Wow I was not aware of this Sylvester guy, any chance he's better than Larsen?

from things i have heard and seen about the guy, he is just a pure FB. a no frills guy, just someone who is going to hit and supposedly he hits hard, but i haven't seen anything in games to prove that, which is sad considering just how awful Larsen has looked.

i am actually in a way betting on the team cutting both Larsen and Sylvester and lining up Fells or Rosario in the FB position if necessary.

i think this team may end up keeping 4 TEs

KevinJames
08-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Felton sucks so bad you do not want him here.

cutthemdown
08-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Broncos seem happy with Larsen and all the TE's.

Archer81
08-30-2011, 07:02 PM
from things i have heard and seen about the guy, he is just a pure FB. a no frills guy, just someone who is going to hit and supposedly he hits hard, but i haven't seen anything in games to prove that, which is sad considering just how awful Larsen has looked.

i am actually in a way betting on the team cutting both Larsen and Sylvester and lining up Fells or Rosario in the FB position if necessary.

i think this team may end up keeping 4 TEs

Against SEA he had a nice pop to spring 37 for a nice gain. I have not seen Larsen do the same.

:Broncos:

extralife
08-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Jerome Felton sounds like a fullback name...Spencer Larsen sounds like the token fat guy in a boy band with an awesome line beard.

so what you're saying is we should keep Spencer Larsen

BroncoMan4ever
08-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Against SEA he had a nice pop to spring 37 for a nice gain. I have not seen Larsen do the same.

damn i need to check that out. must have missed it

Mogulseeker
08-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Larsen needs to go back to MLB.

Mogulseeker
08-30-2011, 10:05 PM

I would love to see some multiple QB sets with Tebow and Orton out there - with some double passes and option sweeps mixed in.

Kaylore
08-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Larsen is becoming a great fullback. His past two games have been very good. Sometimes I think you people just make crap up based on literally nothing. Let's see if the staff agrees we need to cut a versatile starter who plays special teams in favor of another team's garbage.

Jekyll15Hyde
08-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Larsen is becoming a great fullback. His past two games have been very good. Sometimes I think you people just make crap up based on literally nothing. Let's see if the staff agrees we need to cut a versatile starter who plays special teams in favor of another team's garbage.

You have got to be kidding me....
You normally know what the heck you are talking about. If you really watched his performance against Seattle and think it was OK, then I have lost a ton of respect for your opinion.

Mogulseeker
08-31-2011, 09:48 AM
You normally know what the heck you are talking about. If you really watched his performance against Seattle and think it was OK, then I have lost a ton of respect for your opinion.

Over a blocking fullback? lol

Kaylore
08-31-2011, 10:24 AM

I'll get over it one day....somehow... ::)

Jekyll15Hyde
08-31-2011, 12:00 PM

I was hoping you would reply that your Larsen love was only sarcasm since you said he was becoming great.

But I guess you are serious. Wow. If you say so! ROFL!

I think there is one more replay on NFLN tonight. You should try again. :wave: The suckage from Larsen is palpable particularly in that game

Ziggy
08-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Larsen looks lost out there. Half of the time, he's blocking away from the play. That could a product of the HB reads also. When he isn't missing blocks, he's only moving players back about 1 or 2 out of every 10 plays. The rest of the time he makes contact and either stops or ends up getting knocked backwards. He only played extensively in 3 drives during the Seattle game. One was the TD drive, the drive that the Broncos got stuffed on 4th and short, and the first drive of the 3rd period. By my count he had 1 holding call, 2 complete whiffs, and was pancaked 4 times. Fells was used as a FB a couple of times. It makes me think that the Broncos may be planning to bring in a FB off of the waiver wire after the last preseason game and go with Fells when they line up in 2 back sets.

Ziggy
08-31-2011, 01:26 PM
The good news for Larsen is that the rookie Sylvester looks even worse, so if no decent FB's land on the waiver wire, he may stick for another year.

Cito Pelon
08-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Julius Thomas was at fullback for the McGahee TD, and did smother the guy he was supposed to. They're experimenting a little bit. I saw Larsen lead McGahee into a nice hole on a play, but McGahee chose to not follow Larsen.

Cito Pelon
08-31-2011, 01:33 PM
It was kind of funny that they had Eddie Royal diving into the line on short yardage plays. WTF????

Jekyll15Hyde
08-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Larsen looks lost out there. Half of the time, he's blocking away from the play. That could a product of the HB reads also. When he isn't missing blocks, he's only moving players back about 1 or 2 out of every 10 plays. The rest of the time he makes contact and either stops or ends up getting knocked backwards. He only played extensively in 3 drives during the Seattle game. One was the TD drive, the drive that the Broncos got stuffed on 4th and short, and the first drive of the 3rd period. By my count he had 1 holding call, 2 complete whiffs, and was pancaked 4 times. Fells was used as a FB a couple of times. It makes me think that the Broncos may be planning to bring in a FB off of the waiver wire after the last preseason game and go with Fells when they line up in 2 back sets.

Ah ha! Someone else saw the same game I did

Archer81
08-31-2011, 01:49 PM

You are probably right about Larsen. I have not seen anything above board for him, and he may be doing pretty well. I've noticed 40 because he has made some good blocks.

Kaylore
08-31-2011, 01:53 PM
News flash: If McGahee doesn't want to follow his lead block, that's not Larsen's fault. I can assure you that isn't Larsen randomly deciding to block a different gap.

Mogulseeker
08-31-2011, 01:55 PM
News flash: If McGahee doesn't want to follow his lead block, that's not Larsen's fault. I can assure you that isn't Larsen randomly deciding to block a different gap.

Oh my, Kaylore knows what he's talking about. Who knew?

Mogulseeker
08-31-2011, 01:56 PM
I like Larsen a lot...

The Broncos have been trying Fells out at FB, which seems odd... isn't he like 6'7" - seems like it would be tough to get low and drive through with your run blocks when you're that tall.

I think an ideal NFL fullback is around 260 and no taller than 5'11"

DENVERDUI55
08-31-2011, 01:58 PM
John engelberger is out of work he would probably gladly change podsitions. Tebow should convert to a te/fb/h back role.

PRBronco
08-31-2011, 02:08 PM
I always wished they would try Greg Eslinger as a fullback. Too small to be an NFL lineman but clearly a skilled blocker. He could have probably dropped 20 or 30 pounds easily.

I didn't realize he rejoined our practice squad in '08, looks like he's done now though.

Jekyll15Hyde
08-31-2011, 02:16 PM

So why are you ignoring the whiffs and times he is the pancakee instead of the pancaker? Again, you are more than welcome to watch the Seattle game again with a critical eye towards him specifically. I know you can do it. That is what I did...

We need a road grater back there and Larsen aint cutting it. At this stage of the rebuilding process, maybe we have to live with him for another year but, long term, we need a FB with a greater than 50/50 success rate in taking his guy out of the play. I would like to see Larsen get there but he hasn't shown me anything that makes me think he can.

Ziggy
08-31-2011, 02:48 PM

It's both McGee and Moreno. Seems like if the problem was exclusively with the HB it probably wouldn't be both of them doing it on most every play. McGehee is vet who's been around and played at a pro bowl level in this league. Unless you have the Broncos playbook and the play calls, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the 2 halfbacks rather than the sub par fullback.

MABroncoFan
08-31-2011, 11:47 PM
Panthers claimed Felton off waivers. I don't believe the Broncos put in a claim.

broncocalijohn
09-01-2011, 01:20 AM
It was kind of funny that they had Eddie Royal diving into the line on short yardage plays. WTF????

Well, larsen didnt help in the whole. Two things: One is Sylvester had one nice block for Lance ball on that 34 yard run. He did exactly what a FB is supposed to do. 2nd, Kaylore has a hard on for Larsen because he is Mormon and they roll that way.

Mogulseeker
09-01-2011, 01:23 AM
Well, larsen didnt help in the whole. Two things: One is Sylvester had one nice block for Lance ball on that 34 yard run. He did exactly what a FB is supposed to do. 2nd, Kaylore has a hard on for Larsen because he is Mormon and they roll that way.

Isn't there a QB at BYU that Kaylore is touting these days?

broncocalijohn
09-01-2011, 01:30 AM
Isn't there a QB at BYU that Kaylore is touting these days?

I heard he used to have McMahan posters on his wall then found out he went to BYU but wasn't a Mormon. One of his worst days as a youth.

~Crash~
09-01-2011, 08:17 AM
after reading this thread I am now brain dead. I did not have much to play with to begin with .

I will name it Homer Simpson syndrome

Kaylore
09-18-2011, 09:50 PM

I knew I'd find you! DIEE!!!!!!!!!!

SoCalBronco
09-18-2011, 09:56 PM
John engelberger is out of work he would probably gladly change podsitions.

People who have rooms named after them don't need to switch positions....or come out of retirement. John Engelberger=Stud.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/2299/2046279720_fe68ae3942.jpg

(That was for you, Popps. :) ).

Agamemnon
09-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Panthers claimed Felton off waivers. I don't believe the Broncos put in a claim.

Wouldn't be much of a point. They claim anyone and everyone actually worth a ****.