PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow is a unique little snowflake

Boobs McGee
08-29-2011, 11:54 AM
I figured hey, I haven't started a Tebow thread, so why not ;D

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15494822/pocket-guide-for-nfl-dont-go-changing-running-qbs

Even a 7-year-old wouldn't try to fit Tim Tebow into a typical NFL offense. Because Tim Tebow isn't a typical quarterback. All of these guys are unique little snowflakes, bigger or smaller or faster or slower than this guy or that guy, but Tebow is one of the most unique snowflakes in the history of NFL quarterbacks. (Michael Vick also comes to mind.) He's a little bit Bart Starr, and a lot Bronko Nagurski.

And the Broncos want to wedge him into their Kyle Orton-sized slot at quarterback? It's not going to happen. Brady Quinn has a better chance of succeeding in that role than Tim Tebow, and what do you know -- Quinn appears to be ahead of Tebow on the depth chart.

This isn't Tebow's fault. It's Denver's fault. It's the NFL's fault, too, this unimaginative league taking some of the best, most unique talents the college football feeder system has to offer -- and then ruining those talents. Instead of nurturing Tebow in a system where he can bull-rush here and throw the ball on the run there and improvise everywhere, the Broncos want Tebow to take snaps under center (which he's never done), do a three- or five- or seven-step drop (which he's never done), then step into the pocket and deliver a classic NFL strike (which he's never done).

It's an interesting take on the subject, which I agree with to a certain extent. The problem I have, is that the current regime weren't the ones that drafted him, and yet everyone is up in arms because they aren't USING him.

Anywho, it's an article I enjoyed, and represents some of the opinions I've been hearing on the Mane.

Cito Pelon
08-29-2011, 12:14 PM
The snowflake offense could revolutionize the NFL.

supermanhr9
08-29-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure what you just typed, I couldn't stop staring at your avatar and saying the pledge of allegiance.

Tombstone RJ
08-29-2011, 12:19 PM
it's strange that the Panthers are taking their snowflake and making a snowman while the Broncos are taking their snowflake and putting it into the crappy microwave.

bravo Broncos, bravo.

rbackfactory80
08-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Better than the s(NO-BALLS) offense Orton runs.

Inkana7
08-29-2011, 12:25 PM
it's strange that the Panthers are taking their snowflake and making a snowman while the Broncos are taking their snowflake and putting it into the crappy microwave.

bravo Broncos, bravo.

Cam Newton looks horrible.

Tombstone RJ
08-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Cam Newton looks horrible.

I agree, but that's not going to stop the Panthers from designing the offense around him.

HAT
08-29-2011, 12:42 PM
This isn't Tebow's fault. It's Denver's fault. It's the NFL's fault, too, this unimaginative league taking some of the best, most unique talents the college football feeder system has to offer -- and then ruining those talents.

I'm not sure if you guys know this but Steve Young once said Tebow will revolutionize the league.

Pick Six
08-29-2011, 12:44 PM
That's the first time I've seen football players being called "snowflakes". I'm not sure they would take that as a compliment...ROFL!

PRBronco
08-29-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure if you guys know this but Steve Young once said Tebow will revolutionize the league.

Please, I only take note if more than one former 49ers QB weighs in on the same topic.

Pontius Pirate
08-29-2011, 02:01 PM
http://www.secsportsfan.com/images/tim-tebow-cry-baby-picture-21345481.jpg

Beantown Bronco
08-29-2011, 02:14 PM
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dgRCuxA6KMY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

broncogary
08-29-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm not sure what you just typed, I couldn't stop staring at your avatar and saying the pledge of allegiance.

Hey, noticed they had their hands on their hearts, but I never knew that's what they were saying. Ha!

RhymesayersDU
08-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Tyler Durden disapproves of this thread.

Quoydogs
08-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Tyler Durden disapproves of this thread.

His name was Robert ?

Boobs McGee
08-29-2011, 03:04 PM
@ rhymes -love that avy

broncocalijohn
08-29-2011, 03:57 PM
"unique snowflake"

Every snowflake is unique. There is not one alike.

Shoemaker
08-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Please, I only take note if more than one former 49ers QB weighs in on the same topic.

Has anybody asked Troy Smith?

Boobs McGee
08-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Has anybody asked Troy Smith?

Y.A. Tittle might have some insight as well

Que
08-30-2011, 12:24 AM
"unique snowflake"

I see what you did there...

Beantown Bronco
08-30-2011, 07:16 AM
"unique snowflake"

Not to get too far off topic, but I'd love to know how anyone could ever come to that conclusion. It's technically impossible to make that statement, yet it's widely accepted as fact.

bowtown
08-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Not to get too far off topic, but I'd love to know how anyone could ever come to that conclusion. It's technically impossible to make that statement, yet it's widely accepted as fact.

It's how God makes them, duh. Pretty sure it's in the bible.

peacepipe
08-30-2011, 07:33 AM
I agree, but that's not going to stop the Panthers from designing the offense around him.

they don't have a choice.

JCMElway
08-30-2011, 07:45 AM
I don't agree with the article. You will not get sustainable results out of running a spread type offense in the NFL. You just won't The defenses are too big and fast to be productive on a consistent basis. Sure, you might get results here and there, but the spread just doesn't work at this level. Just ask the Run 'N Shoot offense; where has that gone?

I'm not saying there is no place in the league for running QBs. But, you have to have the ability to read defenses, go through 4 or 5 checkdowns, and make all the throws accurately. Young, Tebow, Newton, Locker were all good to great in college because their superior athletic ability covered their flaws in college. Now they are exposed.

I wouldn't use the Steve Young argument here, because not only was he an extremely gifted scrambler, he could make all the throws and was fundamentally sound. Vick also is a guy who is at least passable at running a pro-style offense and Philly is smart to use an offense with some creativity to highlight his skill set.

Will Tebow make it in this league? I don't know. But I think he will get his shot. Using Orton this year is not his death knell. Tebow just needs one more year of learning, and then a full set of OTAs and camp. We shall see what happens.

vancejohnson82
08-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Tebow thread....check

Steve Young quote....check

Bible reference....check

I think we're done here

Mile High Mojoe
08-30-2011, 07:55 AM
I agree with the premise of what the article said. I always believed Elway was in the same situation early in his career under Dan Reeves. He wanted to make Elway a drop back passer. Not that he couldn’t play that role because he could when he had to but he also could have been better utilized as a QB who could run the naked bootleg, pass on the run etc. With the right offensive coordinator Elway would have scattered every passing record in the book but thanks to Reeves vanilla offense his strengths were to chained and his stats suffered as a result.

Reeves was always dinging on Elway for not staying in the pocket but he proved he could make plays on a scramble. Tebow is not a drop passer yet, maybe after a few years in the league when he knows an offense well, can trust his OL and WR’s he will.

So I’m down with the idea of trying to create an offensive scheme that does play to his talents. Too many Coach’s do pigeon hole young running physical QB’s into pocket passers. Nice article and good prospective.

I believe Tebow is going to be a great QB one day. Maybe not this year but once it’s his job he’ll blossom. I’m really tired of the all the Haters on this board who want to dump him when he’s had very little opportunity to prove himself. They’ll defend Orton at every turn when he hasn’t earned it. It’s truly amazing how many fans on this board believe that Orton can and will win more games as a starter. It’s BS and his past performances don’t merit it.

alkemical
08-30-2011, 08:13 AM
IMO, those who want Tebow to start now, would only rush his failure. I really think it's important for him to know "what to do", than just rely on instinct/athleticism. I understand the argument of 'trial by fire', but at the same time you don't want to break your QB before he gets there.

No matter which form of statistical arguments you want to present - from looking at tebow play, he's very unsure yet. We have the option of Kyle Orton, to hold down the fort and further train Tebow, increasing his success.

It's sort of funny, but if you start tebow and he sucks enough to draft Luck, you've doomed Tebow to not succeeding here with the Broncos.

He'll get his opportunities - until then - just enjoy the ride. It's going to be ugly this year at times anyway. Depth along the OL & DL is thin, there are going to be moments of WTF.

Mile High Mojoe
08-30-2011, 08:13 AM
"Orton has lost eight of nine, 14 of 17 and 17 of his past 22 starts."

This should be posted on every Tebow hating thread.

oubronco
08-30-2011, 08:17 AM
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
I'd like to see what Weber can do with the starters why not give him a chance
<!-- / message -->

peacepipe
08-30-2011, 08:33 AM
"Orton has lost eight of nine, 14 of 17 and 17 of his past 22 starts."

This should be posted on every Tebow hating thread.

I wouldn't,you gotta be a bust of a QB to have someone with that record ahead of you on the depth chart.

peacepipe
08-30-2011, 08:40 AM
IMO, those who want Tebow to start now, would only rush his failure. I really think it's important for him to know "what to do", than just rely on instinct/athleticism. I understand the argument of 'trial by fire', but at the same time you don't want to break your QB before he gets there.

No matter which form of statistical arguments you want to present - from looking at tebow play, he's very unsure yet. We have the option of Kyle Orton, to hold down the fort and further train Tebow, increasing his success.

It's sort of funny, but if you start tebow and he sucks enough to draft Luck, you've doomed Tebow to not succeeding here with the Broncos.He'll get his opportunities - until then - just enjoy the ride. It's going to be ugly this year at times anyway. Depth along the OL & DL is thin, there are going to be moments of WTF.the broncos don't owe anything to tebow. if come next draft the broncos are in a position to draft luck,they're going to draft him.

Mile High Mojoe
08-30-2011, 08:44 AM
I wouldn't,you gotta be a bust of a QB to have someone with that record ahead of you on the depth chart.
Tell me, how and why do you think Tebow is a bust? 3 games as a Starter and playing behind scrubs in every preseason game in 2011 makes him a bust? Wow you talk about making a big rush to judgement.

alkemical
08-30-2011, 08:59 AM
the broncos don't owe anything to tebow. if come next draft the broncos are in a position to draft luck,they're going to draft him.

Depends on how they deem "value". Obviously starting Orton, they feel they can win enough to not draft Luck.

PRBronco
08-30-2011, 09:26 AM
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
I'd like to see what Weber can do with the starters why not give him a chance
<!-- / message -->

Wtf? Quinn and Tebow haven't even gotten a chance with the starters.

baja
08-30-2011, 09:26 AM
"unique snowflake"

Have you checked them all?

gunns
08-30-2011, 09:54 AM
This isn't Tebow's fault. It's Denver's fault. It's the NFL's fault, too, this unimaginative league taking some of the best, most unique talents the college football feeder system has to offer -- and then ruining those talents. Instead of nurturing Tebow in a system where he can bull-rush here and throw the ball on the run there and improvise everywhere, the Broncos want Tebow to take snaps under center (which he's never done), do a three- or five- or seven-step drop (which he's never done), then step into the pocket and deliver a classic NFL strike (which he's never done).

Hmmm, then I guess the NFL and the 49ers would have ruined Alex Smith, Ty Detmer, Vince Young, etc., etc., etc. Makes me wonder why it's the NFL (and the Broncos) that needs to change. Also how stupid a coach could be to draft someone "whose never done" in the first round or at all.

maher_tyler
08-30-2011, 10:31 AM
We have no clue if they have any special packages for him. Why would they show something like that in preseason and give teams film on it??

CEH
08-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Right now I don't think you can ask Fox and DA to fix the defense and also readjust their running scheme to allow Tebow to play mostly out of the gun where he is most comforable. Let's start to rebuild the defense and if Orton stinks it up Tebow can go in. Orton and Quinn are FA next year anyways.

Put another draft next year on top of this '11 draft and we should be on our way

maher_tyler
08-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Tell me, how and why do you think Tebow is a bust? 3 games as a Starter and playing behind scrubs in every preseason game in 2011 makes him a bust? Wow you talk about making a big rush to judgement.

He's playing against scrubs...

oubronco
08-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Wtf? Quinn and Tebow haven't even gotten a chance with the starters.

Why not give the kid his chance Tebow's been getting his chances to at least play

TotallyScrewed
08-30-2011, 10:47 AM

Against scrubs and with scrubs. I think that makes it hard to determine what is going on. Their best hope is that the QB understands the called play enough to get everybody into position. What happens at the snap of the ball is a crap shoot.

PRBronco
08-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Why not give the kid his chance Tebow's been getting his chances to at least play

Of course give him a chance in the fourth game, but not with the starters is all I'm sayin.

PRBronco
08-30-2011, 10:50 AM

In all fairness the Seahawks still had some starters out there against him. Against our special olympics O line.

orinjkrush
08-30-2011, 11:25 AM
i'd like to see tebow run a flex bone or some variant. that would be interesting.

Bob's your Information Minister
08-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Tebow better damn sure learn to throw a strike from the pocket.

You might have regular season success if you build an offense around snowflake but you won't win in the playoffs.

TotallyScrewed
08-30-2011, 11:50 AM
i'd like to see tebow run a flex bone or some variant. that would be interesting.

Controlled rollout??

BMF Bronco
08-30-2011, 11:58 AM
His name was Robert ?

His name was Robert paulson!

alkemical
08-30-2011, 12:23 PM
His name was Robert paulson!

His name was Robert Paulson!

Shananahan
08-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Well, it pretty much is fact, to my understanding. You can argue that two snowflakes could form the exact same, but it would be like arguing that two trees could grow identically.

Jay3
08-30-2011, 03:56 PM

The crystal patterns formed by the sublimated water vapor can be modeled mathematically, and the probabilities can be calculated using a computer. The probability of two snowflakes forming in the exact same way can be shown to be virtually zero. Kind of like the quantum probably of my coffee mug shooting off gold.

The same mathematical technique calculates that Tebow is teh graet on everh.

Blueflame
08-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Hmmm, then I guess the NFL and the 49ers would have ruined Alex Smith, Ty Detmer, Vince Young, etc., etc., etc. Makes me wonder why it's the NFL (and the Broncos) that needs to change. Also how stupid a coach could be to draft someone "whose never done" in the first round or at all.

Totally-agree... I keep reading the hand-wringing over "Tebow's only worked with the second-and third-teamers" like he's the only young QB who's ever experienced such a thing. Get real. Every single QB coming into the league works with the second and third teamers until he earns a starting role. And here's a newsflash for the article's author: "taking snaps under center", 'taking three-, five- or seven-step drops", and "stepping into the pocket to deliver a classic NFL strike" are skills that are expected of an NFL QB. If he doesn't know how to do these things, then he needs to learn them; otherwise he's a one-trick-pony (one-dimensional player) and DCs will very quickly figure out how to neutralize him.

PRBronco
08-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Totally-agree... I keep reading the hand-wringing over "Tebow's only worked with the second-and third-teamers" like he's the only young QB who's ever experienced such a thing. Get real. Every single QB coming into the league works with the second and third teamers until he earns a starting role. And here's a newsflash for the article's author: "taking snaps under center", 'taking three-, five- or seven-step drops", and "stepping into the pocket to deliver a classic NFL strike" are skills that are expected of an NFL QB. If he doesn't know how to do these things, then he needs to learn them; otherwise he's a one-trick-pony (one-dimensional player) and DCs will very quickly figure out how to neutralize him.

Just wow. Some of the **** on here these days.

oubronco
08-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Just wow. Some of the **** on here these days.

Well it is the truth

orange 4 life
08-31-2011, 04:32 PM
I figured hey, I haven't started a Tebow thread, so why not ;D

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15494822/pocket-guide-for-nfl-dont-go-changing-running-qbs

Even a 7-year-old wouldn't try to fit Tim Tebow into a typical NFL offense. Because Tim Tebow isn't a typical quarterback. All of these guys are unique little snowflakes, bigger or smaller or faster or slower than this guy or that guy, but Tebow is one of the most unique snowflakes in the history of NFL quarterbacks. (Michael Vick also comes to mind.) He's a little bit Bart Starr, and a lot Bronko Nagurski.

And the Broncos want to wedge him into their Kyle Orton-sized slot at quarterback? It's not going to happen. Brady Quinn has a better chance of succeeding in that role than Tim Tebow, and what do you know -- Quinn appears to be ahead of Tebow on the depth chart.

It's an interesting take on the subject, which I agree with to a certain extent. The problem I have, is that the current regime weren't the ones that drafted him, and yet everyone is up in arms because they aren't USING him.

Anywho, it's an article I enjoyed, and represents some of the opinions I've been hearing on the Mane.

The article is absolutely correct except for one little problem.

The spread offense (something Tebow HAS done before!) just does not WORK in the NFL and THAT is why the Broncos are trying to mold him accordingly!!!!!!

Does the writer of this article ACTUALLY believe we should change our ENTIRE offensive philosophy to adapt to that of Tebow's in college because Tebow would find that more comfortable?
Nevermind the other 10 guys on the field!!

What an amazingly idiotic conclusion. To make those points as a reason why Tebow hasn't yet found success at the NFL level is completely appropriate.
To advance the notion that the Broncos have somehow misused his talents is just flippin nuts.

orange 4 life
08-31-2011, 04:35 PM

Well said Blue and REALLY glad to see you're still around!!!!!

How's Mr. Blue and the rest of the fam?
Hope all's well with you sister!! You coming out for a game this season?

Mogulseeker
08-31-2011, 04:44 PM

Whoops, repped the wrong post.

This is a solid post, Blue.

I think we have three very different QBs right now, and what you said can be said for Orton, too. One-dimensional. Where is he when the play breaks down?

KO is a bit of a one-dimensional player. In reading up on him after McD made the trade for him, I got the impression that he was Brian Griese 2.0 - but KO is stronger and more mobile than he gets credit for. Quinn and Tebow don't have particularly strong arms, either and Orton actually had the strongest arm entering the draft, and he was actually a bit of a rushing threat at Purdue. I want KO to be the starter this year so Tebow can kick some of his bad habits and start to play like an NFL qb.

If Tebow can learn to sit in the pocket, move the pocket, and escape the pocket when the play breaks down, the prospects are obscene. But for a pocket passer his accuracy sucks, his footwork is terrible, and he hasn't looked good from the pocket in the preseason - even his scrambling skills are pointless when he can't escape.

He'd be good in a wildcat, but that's about it. I don't think we have the o-line, nor the receivers for that. I'd compare him to a weaker-armed, non-rapist version of Big-Ben once he can get the fundamentals down.

That's the problem... it takes a while to unlearn and relearn fundamentals, and it's why it's best for him to sit right now.