PDA

View Full Version : I love the Broncos and I hate cable

bowtown
08-26-2011, 03:09 PM
I just bought a PS3 yesterday and I'm going to take the plunge and sign up for Sunday Ticket. That, combined with my Netflix streaming and Hulu Premium still comes out significantly cheaper than what I'm forking out to Time Warner every month to basically be able to watch Monday night football on ESPN.

Cord = cut.

Now, apparently the PS3 can also be used to play video games. Mine didn't come with any though and I'm facing an entire weekend holed up with a hurricane outside. I want to grab a game today to hunker down with. I'm only getting one past the wife. Which one should it be? I know nothing about this machine and what it is capable of, so point me to something cool.

TheChamp24
08-26-2011, 03:11 PM
NCAA Football 2012.

jhns
08-26-2011, 03:13 PM
What kind of games do you like? Sports, shooters, rpg, etc...?

The only game I have played lately is baseball. I couldn't even tell you which one it is as it is pretty old. I think it's MLB The Show 08.

Dagmar
Call of Duty

AZorange1
I just bought a PS3 yesterday and I'm going to take the plunge and sign up for Sunday Ticket. That, combined with my Netflix streaming and Hulu Premium still comes out significantly cheaper than what I'm forking out to Time Warner every month to basically be able to watch Monday night football on ESPN.

Cord = cut.

Now, apparently the PS3 can also be used to play video games. Mine didn't come with any though and I'm facing an entire weekend holed up with a hurricane outside. I want to grab a game today to hunker down with. I'm only getting one past the wife. Which one should it be? I know nothing about this machine and what it is capable of, so point me to something cool.

OR, if your like most folks, get "Call of Duty" and you can run around shooting people without going to jail.

bowtown
08-26-2011, 03:16 PM
What kind of games do you like? Sports, shooters, rpg, etc...?

The only game I have played lately is baseball. I couldn't even tell you which one it is as it is pretty old. I think it's MLB The Show 08.

I think I like shoots and rpgs more than sports games. I like a good story.

Archer81
08-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Well...

You have RPG's like FFXIII, Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3 and FO: New Vegas and Borderlands.

You have the shooters like Battlefield 2, Any Call of Duty, Resistance 1, 2 and 3.

You have fighters like Mortal Kombat or Tekken.

You also have adventure games like InFamous, InFamous 2, Uncharted, Uncharted 2 (I'd recommend all four of those...just my .02) Fear, Fear 2, Fear 3, Afro Samurai, Ratchet and Clank if you have kids (good for adults too). LA Noire, Red Dead Redemption, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Devil May Cry 4.

Sports sims- Madden 11, NCAA 12, NHL 11, ect.

Then you have odd games like Little Big Planet if you are into designing your own levels and whatnot.

:Broncos:

Peoples Champ
08-26-2011, 03:17 PM
call of duty is most addicting, great for spending a long period of time on it. Your playing and all the sudden 4 or 5 hours are gone.

jhns
08-26-2011, 03:18 PM

If you haven't played it, get one of the Fallout games. That is my suggestion. Fallout 3 would probably be cheaper and come with all the downloadable contents. They have hundreds of hours worth of crap to do. There are lots of good games though.

I play fps games on the computer so I won't recommend any of those for PS3.

DBroncos4life
08-26-2011, 03:18 PM
You can never go wrong with Call of Duty regardless of the system you have.

Goobzilla
08-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Uncharted 1 & 2

StugotsIII
08-26-2011, 03:21 PM

Cord = cut.

How much is the ticket on PS3?

Archer81
08-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Forgot: The PSN has some good PS1 and 2 classics. I am a huge Parasite Eve Nerd and they added the first and second ones recently. Scott Pilgrim vs The World is a nostalgic beat em up. PSN also has other classics like Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3. You can also download PS3 games through the PSN for the same price as a disc.

DBroncos4life
08-26-2011, 03:22 PM
You can try and get your wife to play Portal 2 with you.

bowtown
08-26-2011, 03:24 PM

It's supposedly going to be like $345. That's expnsive, but at $69 a month, it's a little over half of my cable bill. I hate pretty much everything on cable.

Archer81
08-26-2011, 03:24 PM

If you like RPG's I'd suggest Final Fantasy, but its extremely linear for 60% of the game. Its a Square game so the story is solid. Very pretty, but if you are a FF purist it will bother you. Mass Effect 2 is also a great story with RPG elements. I literally wasted 4 months just playing that game. It was sweet. ME 3 is out in March.

If you want good adventure games, I would go with Uncharted or Uncharted 2. Those are fantastic games and have high replay value with a great story. PLUS, Uncharted 3 comes out in November.

smalltowngrll
08-26-2011, 03:25 PM
We cut the cord a year ago and have absolutely no regrets!

My husband likes the Fallout games and a couple others...but for the life of me, I can't remember the names.

Anyway, if it's like XBox, you can download trials of some of the games before you buy. That might be helpful.

Archer81
08-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Assassins Creed 1 and 2...the story is so out there. AC2 has better game play. I think you can get it now with the DLC.

Dutch
Don't forget to go out and check out the free demos at the Playstation store. When I first got ours, I killed several hours the first week just playing/trying out the free demos. I'll have to give a shout out to the Uncharted/Drake games. Pretty fun with a bit of everything thown in, not a half bad story line either. I'm really tempted to do the Sunday ticket deal on the PS3 myself. Got a couple of $100 gift cards from our new health insurance co and a $180 rebate on my new Goodyear Wranglers. Would leave me $40 for frosty bevs.

Pick Six
If the Raiders were still led by Tom Cable, this thread title would be even more of a winner...:strong:

Archer81
08-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Forgot God of War III. If you played the first two, GOW3 might be one you get just to have.

Who doesnt like bloody mayhem coupled with mythology and random sex games with Aphrodite?

maher_tyler
08-26-2011, 03:30 PM

Same as it is on DTV...like $68.99/month.

To the OP, I'd reccomend the COD games. Great story lines and the graphics are sick. Always wanted to get into the Uncharted games but never have...usually stick with the Madden's and NHL 11's though...

ColoradoDarin
08-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Rock Band 3 :D

bfoflcommish
08-26-2011, 03:38 PM
If you like shoot ems with a story line LA Noire is great!

DivineBronco
08-26-2011, 03:41 PM
there is a game on the ps store called Flower that is hard to categorize but it is one of the few games I can get my girlfriend to play and is wonderfully relaxing.

jhns
08-26-2011, 03:42 PM
If you like shoot ems with a story line LA Noire is great!

I never got into that game. It has become a $60 paperweight that only got like three hours of total use.

bfoflcommish
08-26-2011, 03:44 PM
I never got into that game. It has become a $60 paper weight.

really? i hate games like call of duty and uncharted and all them, but loved LA Noire. I'm more into sports and racing though.

DrFate
08-26-2011, 03:47 PM
You can finish Call of Duty in 8 hours (not counting online play).

an RPG like Mass Effect will eat up your time :)

jhns
08-26-2011, 03:50 PM
really? i hate games like call of duty and uncharted and all them, but loved LA Noire. I'm more into sports and racing though.

I haven't played uncharted. I like COD on the computer. The one player is great. The multi player is old now though. They are putting out the same multi player game every year now.

Chris had a good suggestion with Mass Effect. I have been through the first two a few times now. Love those games. That or Fallout are the single player games that you will spend the most time on.

Gort
08-26-2011, 04:04 PM

Cord = cut.

Pong. literally minutes and minutes of fun.

DENVERDUI55
08-26-2011, 04:58 PM
The best way to make sure you don't get laid is to start playing video games all the time.

s0phr0syne
08-26-2011, 05:39 PM
good move with the ps3 and getting rid of the tv bill. You'll find you can stream pretty high quality (somewhere between old VHS and DVD) shows from a variety of websites using the PS3's built in browser, or alternatively downloading files to your comp and using the media server functionality. Say good bye to big bills and to commercials!

bowtown
08-26-2011, 07:00 PM
The best way to make sure you don't get laid is to start playing video games all the time.

No the best way to make sure you don't get laid is to get married. I already have that covered. Video games are just a way to pass the not getting laid time.

bowtown
08-26-2011, 07:02 PM
good move with the ps3 and getting rid of the tv bill. You'll find you can stream pretty high quality (somewhere between old VHS and DVD) shows from a variety of websites using the PS3's built in browser, or alternatively downloading files to your comp and using the media server functionality. Say good bye to big bills and to commercials!

That's what I'm hoping. So far so good. I also get a ton of channels with an antenna; some in better hd than my cable.

bronco610
08-27-2011, 12:26 AM
That's what I'm hoping. So far so good. I also get a ton of channels with an antenna; some in better hd than my cable.

If the hurricane is enough to keep you shut in it will prob. kill the power or at least have some black outs. The game will not do you a lot of good.

OABB
08-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Uncharted 1 & 2

this. this. and this.

bowtown
08-27-2011, 06:40 AM
If the hurricane is enough to keep you shut in it will prob. kill the power or at least have some black outs. The game will not do you a lot of good.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/652629/FamousDC-Debbie-Downer-Supreme-Court.jpg

DrFate
08-27-2011, 07:08 AM
LOLNo the best way to make sure you don't get laid is to get married. I already have that covered. Video games are just a way to pass the not getting laid time.

LOL

Ray Finkle
08-27-2011, 07:34 AM
Batman Arkham Asylum....Metal Gear 4.....Infamous....

bowtown
08-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Batman Arkham Asylum....Metal Gear 4.....Infamous....

Metal Gear 4 is good? I almost bought that yesterday. I love the Metal Gear series on older machines. Metal Gear Solid 2 for the PS2 is still one of my favorite games of all time, but I had heard that the franchise has gone down hill.

hazefrog
08-27-2011, 08:02 AM
If you like rpgs give Dark Souls a shot. It comes out in about a month and is the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls. The "series'" calling card is its mind-numbingly difficulty level. If you die you lose a huge amount of the resources you need to advance in the game. Developers today are afraid that a challenge might scare off sales and the result is too many easy-mode games that coddle the player. Playing a game that kicks you in the nuts is a refreshing change of pace.

Ray Finkle
08-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Metal Gear 4 is good? I almost bought that yesterday. I love the Metal Gear series on older machines. Metal Gear Solid 2 for the PS2 is still one of my favorite games of all time, but I had heard that the franchise has gone down hill.

oh yeah....it is long but worth it.

Teboner
08-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Uncharted 2 is great, Darksiders is a nice fun game kind of like Zelda style, Battlefield series are pretty fun, Call of duty is decent, Madden series is fun but kind of the same thing every year so maybe every few years buy I usually wait 2-3 years to buy one, Metal gear 4 is good also God of War series is fun

scorpio
08-27-2011, 09:48 AM
If you like the Metal Gear playstyle and want an engrossing story, get Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Fantastic game, just came out this week.

Jesterhole
08-27-2011, 10:17 AM
The best game on PS3 right now is Uncharted 2. Probably the best game ever made at this point.

If you like hard core action/rpg, I'd recommend Demo Souls. If you're looking for a fun, silly family game, check out Little Big Planet.

NFLBRONCO
08-27-2011, 11:19 AM
call of duty is most addicting, great for spending a long period of time on it. Your playing and all the sudden 4 or 5 hours are gone.

No doubt but, Xbox 360 is more challenging then ps version

oubronco
08-27-2011, 02:00 PM

Exactly whats wrong with the youth of our nation