PDA

View Full Version : Raiders take Pryor in the 3rd

Conklin
08-22-2011, 10:35 AM
per schefter on twitter

cmhargrove
08-22-2011, 10:36 AM
YES! YES! YES! My day just got better!

There is a God, and he loathes the Raiders!

TheReverend
08-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Woop!

4.36?

He might go 3rd... and that's factoring in character concerns and ? on how to play him.

Figuring this one out is enigmatic for sure.

Who's the got the balls to coach him up and looking for a QB heir in a few years?

TheReverend
08-22-2011, 10:37 AM
YES! YES! YES! My day just got better!

There is a God, and he loathes the Raiders!

To be fair... he could end up being a really potent weapon.

Let's just hope Oakland coaching stays true to form.

Conklin
08-22-2011, 10:38 AM
To be fair... he could end up being a really potent weapon.

Let's just hope Oakland coaching stays true to form.

judging with how they coached Jamarcus, color me unconcerned

StugotsIII
08-22-2011, 10:40 AM
The question is...

QB or WR?

Br0nc0Buster
08-22-2011, 10:41 AM
typical Raider pick

Seneca Wallace 2.0

Garcia Bronco
08-22-2011, 10:42 AM
The Raiders just like to take mentally poor athletes.

razorwire77
08-22-2011, 10:43 AM
I hate OSU, but I'm not happy about this at all. All personal/ OSU institutional issues aside, the kid came across really well in Chuck Gruden's QB Camp (certainly better than Cam did). Even though he's raw, he's one of the best athletes in college football, he has the arm to make all the throws and is blazing fast. He's going to be a b**** to deal with in the sub packages designed for him. If he doesn't cut it as a QB, he could be a sick H-Back with a couple of years of development.

BMF Bronco
08-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Love it!

TheReverend
08-22-2011, 10:44 AM

I wish that same regime were going strong today.

Hue Jackson is a decent offensive mind and Al Saunders is just downright fantastic.

And we don't know if they're planning on developing him as a QB anyway.

Conklin
08-22-2011, 10:45 AM

Hue Jackson is a decent offensive mind and Al Saunders is just downright fantastic.

Does oakland keep their coaches for more than two years at a time?

StugotsIII
08-22-2011, 10:46 AM
I've watched every one of his games.

He is a career backup in the NFL. But...he can make plays that very, very few QB's can make. Then he can turn around and have his mechanics completely breakdown and throw a JV level pass.

He is probably better served by switching positions.

TheReverend
08-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Does oakland keep their coaches for more than two years at a time?

I'm just hoping they do the worst possible job with Pryor no matter how they decide to play him.

I want them to accidentally crush his confidence, destroy his instincts and ruin everything special about him. I also want them to make him gain a ton of weight so he loses his speed.

DivineBronco
08-22-2011, 10:49 AM
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Quiet draft ahead: Raiders traded 2012 2nd-rd pick to NE on draft day, used 3rd on Pryor, traded 4th in 2012 to WASH for Jason Campbell.

For ther 2nd, 3rd and 4th-rd pick in 2012, Raiders now have QB Jason Campbell, QB Terrelle Pryor, RB Taiwan Jones and OL Joseph Barksdale.

yikes

Beantown Bronco

He is a career backup in the NFL. But...he can make plays that very, very few QB's can make. Then he can turn around and have his mechanics completely breakdown and throw a JV level pass.

Can't we leave Tebow out of at least one thread?

StugotsIII
I'm just hoping they do the worst possible job with Pryor no matter how they decide to play him.

I want them to accidentally crush his confidence, destroy his instincts and ruin everything special about him. I also want them to make him gain a ton of weight so he loses his speed.

...so basically put him into the Jamarcus Russell Machine or the JRM.

Conklin
08-22-2011, 10:50 AM

32 nfl teams already did that by passing on him in rounds 1 and 2

cutthemdown
08-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Watching Campbell play like crap probably sealed the deal. Raiders don't have a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick in next yrs draft.

Beantown Bronco
08-22-2011, 10:51 AM

So you want them to loan him out to the Broncos for a year or two?

DarkHorse30
08-22-2011, 10:51 AM
WR- 4.3 speed @ pro-day. Al Davis is still running the show, thank you lord!

edog24
08-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Fly route

BowlenBall
08-22-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm a Raider-hater, but I think they made a good pick here -- that's exceptional speed for his height and weight, and as a college quarterback, he should be able to quickly pick up the relatively simple duties of a wide receiver. Personally, I felt that the Broncos should have put in a 3rd-round bid for him, which would have secured his services.

I think we're gonna be ruing this pick in the near future....

TheReverend
08-22-2011, 11:03 AM
So you want them to loan him out to the Broncos for a year or two?

Ha!

TDmvp
08-22-2011, 11:05 AM
I figured it would be them or the Bengals...

Tombstone RJ
08-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Quiet draft ahead: Raiders traded 2012 2nd-rd pick to NE on draft day, used 3rd on Pryor, traded 4th in 2012 to WASH for Jason Campbell.

For ther 2nd, 3rd and 4th-rd pick in 2012, Raiders now have QB Jason Campbell, QB Terrelle Pryor, RB Taiwan Jones and OL Joseph Barksdale.

yikes

:yayaya:

gyldenlove
08-22-2011, 11:09 AM
And a raider fan celebrated the drafting of Pryor by shooting Antwan Odom in the leg.

ward63
08-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Living in Ohio, I watched a lot of Buckeye games. Well, even though I am a Wolverines fan, but that's besides the point. One of the things people around here hated about Pryor wasn't necessarily him. It was Tressel and how he wouldn't design the offense around Pryor. Ala how Meyer and Tebow. He played in semi-pro offense at OSU. That being said...his mechanics and leadership are FAR worse than Tebows. Just a lot faster!

bronco militia
08-22-2011, 11:15 AM
And a raider fan celebrated the drafting of Pryor by shooting Antwan Odom in the leg.

POW POW!

:strong:Ha!

24champ
08-22-2011, 11:22 AM

yikes

Long live Al!ROFL!

DENVERDUI55
08-22-2011, 11:26 AM
That was easiest prediction I've made.

TonyR
08-22-2011, 11:29 AM
How would you compare/contrast him to Vick coming out of college? I recall that Vick was raw as hell coming out but the Eagles taking a risk on him has paid huge dividends. I just haven't seen enough of Pryor to even begin to try and make a comparison, and maybe there isn't one.

bendog
08-22-2011, 11:36 AM
How would you compare/contrast him to Vick coming out of college? I recall that Vick was raw as hell coming out but the Eagles taking a risk on him has paid huge dividends. I just haven't seen enough of Pryor to even begin to try and make a comparison, and maybe there isn't one.

Good question. I don't know about Pryor, but with Vick there was NO question that his arm was genuinely NFL caliber. He didn't display much touch in college. VY sort of reminded me of him in that he could be accurate if a guy was wide open on a crossing route, but dropping a ball into zone coverage wasn't something he'd done. I have no idea how scouts rate Pryor as a qb. Physiccally he could be BM as a wideout.

cutthemdown
08-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Pryor probably talented enough to risk a 3rd on but the Raiders don't have a lot of picks next yr. With rookies being so cheap not having a 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounder in one yr can damper your draft in a big way. Campbell I have never liked. Watching him in preseason I am predicting a total meltdown for him this yr. He won't start more then 10 games and this will be his last yr ever starting in the NFL unless someone gets injured.

He misses Miller time and with Ford and Murphey both out he looks as bad as any starter in the NFL.

Tombstone RJ
08-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Perhaps Pryor will be another WR for the faiders...

wolf754life
08-22-2011, 12:31 PM

hey! stop talking about tebow

baja
08-22-2011, 12:44 PM

LOL good one! ;D

Then he kicked his dog

Mountain Bronco
08-22-2011, 01:08 PM
No 2nd 3rd or 4th. Ouch.

MVP-06
08-22-2011, 01:20 PM

yikes

Just when they started to draft a little smarter they do this. wow, I can sleep better now knowing they set themselves back another 3 years.

dbfan21
08-22-2011, 01:26 PM

+1

Bigdawg26
08-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Long live Al!ROFL!

Hilarious! This!!!

The sad thing is that I'm really not shocked by this! With Al running the show the broncos will never be last in the division!

DBroncos4life
08-22-2011, 02:06 PM
We are going to be sorry when the NFL goes to flag football. Everyone on the Raiders has sub 4.4 speed.

razorwire77
08-22-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm a Raider-hater, but I think they made a good pick here -- that's exceptional speed for his height and weight, and as a college quarterback, he should be able to quickly pick up the relatively simple duties of a wide receiver. Personally, I felt that the Broncos should have put in a 3rd-round bid for him, which would have secured his services.

I think we're gonna be ruing this pick in the near future....

Yeah, I hope like hell I'm wrong for obvious reasons, but I have a bad feeling this kid is going to materialize into an NFL player. He's not going to be Peyton Manning, but I could see him being used like a jumbo Brad Smith. Spread them out run him off tackle, spread them out run an option pass, spread them out have him throw it up to Ford on the fly. Not going to be fun to defend this kid of 5-10 plays a game.

Steve Sewell
08-22-2011, 02:43 PM

LOL what? Vick was a 3-time Pro Bowler with the Falcons and took them to an NFC champ game long before he was the starting QB of the Eagles.

StugotsIII
08-22-2011, 03:46 PM
We are going to be sorry when the NFL goes to flag football. Everyone on the Raiders has sub 4.4 speed.

...it's getting there.

ChrisToker
08-22-2011, 05:42 PM

Even better reason for Al Davis to prematurely fire him. As soon as he makes a coaching decision that makes sense yet goes away from Al's wants he'll get ****canned.

beanerbronco
08-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Can someone explain to me how the supplemental draft works?

DBroncos4life
08-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Can someone explain to me how the supplemental draft works?

The Supplemental Draft, is designed to allow underclassmen --who did not petition the league for early entry before the NFL Draft deadline but find themselves ineligible for the upcoming college season-- a vehicle for entering the NFL. The supplemental draft is held after the traditional NFL Draft and before each season begins.

The league uses a weighted three-step, semi-lottery system to determine the order of the supplemental draft as follows:

Teams with six wins or less participate in the first lottery for the top supplemental draft picks. The team that posted the worst record among that group is given a weighted advantage over the following team, with each team's "weight" being decreased on down the line until reaching the team with the best record in the group.

The second group consists of non-playoff teams and follows the same weighted system.

The third group consists of last season's 12 playoff teams and, again, follows the same lottery system.

After the order is determined, each team submits to the league the name of the player(s) they are interested in, as well as the round of the supplemental draft they would like to choose them in. The team that submits the highest bid is awarded rights to the player. If more than one team bids a pick from the same round, the team with the highest pick in the round wins out.

If a team uses a pick in the Supplemental Draft, they must forfeit their choice in the corresponding round of the next years NFL Draft.

http://football.about.com/od/miscinformation/a/supplementdraft.htm

TheChamp24
08-22-2011, 06:15 PM
What people don't understand is he had slow times for every other drill. He can run straight at a fast time. He's not quick, he's not agile, and he doesn't have great throwing skills.
Do you people remember Matt Jones? Basically same thing. Asking a fast QB to switch to WR and not knowing what the heck to do and not being able to cut and maintain speed.

Lev Vyvanse
08-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Hilarious! This!!!

The sad thing is that I'm really not shocked by this! With Al running the show the broncos will never be last in the division!

Um.... what?

beanerbronco
08-22-2011, 06:19 PM
The Supplemental Draft, is designed to allow underclassmen --who did not petition the league for early entry before the NFL Draft deadline but find themselves ineligible for the upcoming college season-- a vehicle for entering the NFL. The supplemental draft is held after the traditional NFL Draft and before each season begins.

The league uses a weighted three-step, semi-lottery system to determine the order of the supplemental draft as follows:

Teams with six wins or less participate in the first lottery for the top supplemental draft picks. The team that posted the worst record among that group is given a weighted advantage over the following team, with each team's "weight" being decreased on down the line until reaching the team with the best record in the group.

The second group consists of non-playoff teams and follows the same weighted system.

The third group consists of last season's 12 playoff teams and, again, follows the same lottery system.

After the order is determined, each team submits to the league the name of the player(s) they are interested in, as well as the round of the supplemental draft they would like to choose them in. The team that submits the highest bid is awarded rights to the player. If more than one team bids a pick from the same round, the team with the highest pick in the round wins out.

If a team uses a pick in the Supplemental Draft, they must forfeit their choice in the corresponding round of the next years NFL Draft.

http://football.about.com/od/miscinformation/a/supplementdraft.htm

Thank you, sir.
So technically, teams don't have to pick anybody during this draft, right?

DBroncos4life
08-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Thank you, sir.
So technically, teams don't have to pick anybody during this draft, right?

Nope they don't have too.

maher_tyler
08-22-2011, 06:54 PM

I wasn't all that thrilled with how he played at OSU. I thought he needed, at minimum, another year there before going pro. Reminds me of Vicks little bro..lots of talent, got in trouble and had to declare early, never to be heard of again.

That One Guy
08-22-2011, 07:08 PM
I wasn't all that thrilled with how he played at OSU. I thought he needed, at minimum, another year there before going pro. Reminds me of Vicks little bro..lots of talent, got in trouble and had to declare early, never to be heard of again.

I still think it's hilarious that stomping on Doom is the only thing he'll ever be remembered for.

Raider Bill
08-23-2011, 07:07 AM
I think the Raiders are banking on getting 2 3rds for losing Miller and Asomougha but only adding Boss.

TonyR
08-23-2011, 07:12 AM
LOL what? Vick was a 3-time Pro Bowler with the Falcons and took them to an NFC champ game long before he was the starting QB of the Eagles.

What does this have to do with a comparison of Vick and Pryor coming out of college? And how does this change the fact that the Eagles took a huge risk signing Vick coming out of prison and out of football for over two years? In other words, what was the point of your post?

Requiem
08-23-2011, 07:20 AM
Somehow he just screamed Raider. . .

errand
08-23-2011, 07:24 AM

Sounds like the raiders did well.....afterall we spent a 1st rounder on practically the same kind of player

Ugly Duck
08-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Watching Campbell play like crap probably sealed the deal. Raiders don't have a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick in next yrs draft.

That 4th for Campbell is conditional..... ESPN John Clayton: Al Davis got it right this year. He added to a solid draft by picking up Campbell for a conditional fourth-round pick, whose conditions appear to be unachievable. For the Redskins to get that fourth-round pick, the Raiders would either have to make the playoffs or Campbell would have to go to the Pro Bowl. Odds of that are about as good as JaMarcus Russell being on the Raiders' roster this fall.

Also, Oakland had a coupla extra 3rd round picks (compensatory for the losses of Nnamdi & Zack Miller) so they could spare one of 'em. One of several 3rd round picks for a 3rd-string QB with potential ain't so bad. Now, if Al had given up a 2nd and a 3rd and a 4th for a 3rd-string QB with potential that would be a different story.... (Why does that sound familiar?)

Pryor working out on his Pro Day:
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Terrelle+Pryor+Pro+Day+ldr6YX48bvOl.jpg

DENVERDUI55
08-23-2011, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=Ugly Duck;3264899]That 4th for Campbell is conditional..... ESPN John Clayton: Al Davis got it right this year. He added to a solid draft by picking up Campbell for a conditional fourth-round pick, whose conditions appear to be unachievable. For the Redskins to get that fourth-round pick, the Raiders would either have to make the playoffs or Campbell would have to go to the Pro Bowl. Odds of that are about as good as JaMarcus Russell being on the Raiders' roster this fall.

Also, Oakland had a coupla extra 3rd round picks (compensatory for the losses of Nnamdi & Zack Miller) so they could spare one of 'em. One of several 3rd round picks for a 3rd-string QB with potential ain't so bad. Now, if Al had given up a 2nd and a 3rd and a 4th for a 3rd-string QB with potential that would be a different story.... (Why does that sound familiar?)

Pryor working out on his Pro Day:

http://http://bleacherreport.com/articles/209570-picture-of-the-day-tom-brady-nfl-combine Lets put that hype to rest.