PDA

View Full Version : Sunday ticket to be available on PS3 for non-direct tv subscribers

Chris
08-17-2011, 02:25 PM
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/08/17/directv-and-playstation-bring-nfl-sunday-ticket-to-ps3/#utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nfl_081711

Seriously tempted... but then I will miss watching the games with fellow Broncos fans and the excitement of the bar... not sure

:yayaya:

DomCasual
08-17-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't get it. Why wouldn't you just sign up for DirecTv, and have it go through the DirecTv receiver?

Chris
08-17-2011, 02:29 PM
I don't get it. Why wouldn't you just sign up for DirecTv, and have it go through the DirecTv receiver?

Because then you'd have to pay for DTV. In my case DTV is nearly impossible because I live in an apartment in NYC, where, in addition to making dish placement tricky if not impossible, Time Warner has a near monopoly.

It also means you don't have to have DTV.

gtown
08-17-2011, 02:29 PM

Because DirecTV is a dish. Every time the wind blows the wrong way or it begins raining or snowing, you lose connection. At least in my experience.

bronco militia
08-17-2011, 02:30 PM
very cool......fresh accounts for Sony Hackers

;(

Los Broncos
08-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Because DirecTV is a dish. Every time the wind blows the wrong way or it begins raining or snowing, you lose connection. At least in my experience.

Then the dish is installed incorrectly, or least that's what I was told.

Gcver2ver3
08-17-2011, 02:47 PM
i have DTV but I'm still interested IF....

i can somehow save the games onto a disc or something...

does anyone know if thats feasible?...i'm not technically savvy...

houghtam
08-17-2011, 03:05 PM

I have neither Dish nor Cable. We have a PS3 with Netflix, MLB.tv and soon NFL Sunday Ticket. My total monthly bill for internet and Netflix is $49.99. MLB.tv is a $119.99 yearly fee for premium access, and Sunday Ticket on the PS3 is $339.99, for a grand total of less than $80 a month on average.

Might I also add that we haven't had to watch a commercial in 8 months. It's been heaven.

"Pay-for-play" (not to be confused with "paid foreplay") is the way of the future.

Rock Chalk
08-17-2011, 03:17 PM
I have neither Dish nor Cable. We have a PS3 with Netflix, MLB.tv and soon NFL Sunday Ticket. My total monthly bill for internet and Netflix is $49.99. MLB.tv is a $119.99 yearly fee for premium access, and Sunday Ticket on the PS3 is $339.99, for a grand total of less than $80 a month on average.

Might I also add that we haven't had to watch a commercial in 8 months. It's been heaven.

"Pay-for-play" (not to be confused with "paid foreplay") is the way of the future.

Id do this but there are too many shows on the Science channel I like that I would never get to see.

Chris
08-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Id do this but there are too many shows on the Science channel I like that I would never get to see.

http://punkoteca2.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/cover.jpg

Rock Chalk
08-17-2011, 03:21 PM
http://punkoteca2.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/cover.jpg

Made even worse by the fact that I just had to get glasses :(

Chris
08-17-2011, 03:22 PM

Wow. Glasses. You're one of those.

tsiguy96
08-17-2011, 03:22 PM

how its made/factory made/how do they do it are some of my favorite shows on tv. ill watch it for hours on end, and always point out when a person has a downright terrible job (ie putting muffins in a box for 12 hours a day)

Rock Chalk
08-17-2011, 03:28 PM
how its made/factory made/how do they do it are some of my favorite shows on tv. ill watch it for hours on end, and always point out when a person has a downright terrible job (ie putting muffins in a box for 12 hours a day)

I hate all 3 of those shows.

Wonders of the Universe (and previously Wonders of the Solar System), and Through the Wormhole w/ Morgan Freeman are the two best shows on TV, period.

How the Earth was Made (though I think this is actually on National Geographic) is another one of my favorite shows.

Rock Chalk
08-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Wow. Glasses. You're one of those.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/301261_10150282426459485_838074484_7558497_7636265 _n.jpg

Thats my goofy ass right there.

houghtam
08-17-2011, 03:35 PM
I hate all 3 of those shows.

Wonders of the Universe (and previously Wonders of the Solar System), and Through the Wormhole w/ Morgan Freeman are the two best shows on TV, period.

How the Earth was Made (though I think this is actually on National Geographic) is another one of my favorite shows.

How the Earth Was Made and most other National Geographic shows are currently on Instant Queue with Netflix. More stuff like that gets added monthly. And if you want to talk about nerd, all iterations of Star Trek except for DS9 were just recently added too.

The other thing we noticed is that the television is no longer on unless we are actively watching something. Shows we used to just have on in the background like Pawn Stars, Mythbusters, Family Guy, etc. (all on Instant Queue, btw.) are only on when we want them to be. Our television usage has dropped dramatically in the past 8 months.

I'm never getting cable or dish again.

Chris
08-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Something tells me your like Kansas. You're not goofy, you're just a dad.

mkporter
08-17-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that you have to be unable to get DirecTv service to subscribe. I think I've seen this is available through other outlets besides the PS3.

From the link:

How do you get in the game? At the start of the season, viewers who do not currently have access to DIRECTV will be able to subscribe to NFL SUNDAY TICKET at the season price of $339.95. Existing DIRECTV customers can access the service on their PS3 for an additional $50 and use the PS3 as an additional receiver for your home.

Hopefully the next time they renegotiate the contract (2014) the NFL requires online only access be available for everyone.

bowtown
08-17-2011, 04:41 PM

With MLB.tv do they archive the games or can you save them to your memory card? Just trying to figure out what the package might end up being. Would be huge if I could still watch Broncos games if I miss them.

houghtam
08-17-2011, 04:54 PM
With MLB.tv do they archive the games or can you save them to your memory card? Just trying to figure out what the package might end up being. Would be huge if I could still watch Broncos games if I miss them.

Not sure if you can save them for posterity if that's what you mean, but every game for every team is available up until Opening Day of the next season. Nationally televised games are blacked out until 90 minutes after the game, but we have an antenna, so the only games we miss are the ESPN games, which for the Tigers is maybe half a dozen games a year? And we can still watch them afterwards.

The basic package is $99.99, but for $20, the upgrade to premium gets you not only a choice between the home or away TV broadcast, but also multiple choices between home/away radio broadcasts. How cool is it to watch the game on tv with Vin Scully/Marty Brenneman/whoever your favorite radio personality is calling the game? Pretty damned cool. The premium package also gives you the option of watching the game online with multiple camera angles. If you have a half decent video card and run it to your television, it's basically the same thing.

Believe me, the MLB.tv model is going to be coming soon for all sports. It won't be long before you all will be watching the Broncos on tv with the KOA audio. And all with no commercials. Life is good.

Rock Chalk
08-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Something tells me you like Kansas. You're not goofy, you're just a dad.

FYP (I assume thats what you meant).

RhymesayersDU
08-17-2011, 05:50 PM

Absolutely false in my experience. I mean, everybody will be different I guess, but I can count on 1 hand the number of times I lost connection in like... 5+ years as a DTV customer.

DaFace
08-17-2011, 05:55 PM
i have DTV but I'm still interested IF....

i can somehow save the games onto a disc or something...

does anyone know if thats feasible?...i'm not technically savvy...

The short answer is, "no." At least you couldn't with the way they had it set up last year.

DaFace
08-17-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that you have to be unable to get DirecTv service to subscribe. I think I've seen this is available through other outlets besides the PS3.

From the link:

Hopefully the next time they renegotiate the contract (2014) the NFL requires online only access be available for everyone.

I don't BELIEVE that's true, though I'm not 100% sure of that. You could buy NFLST To Go last year without a DTV account, and I don't think there were any major hoops that you had to go through to prove you couldn't get DTV.

briane
08-17-2011, 05:58 PM
$340? no thanks.

houghtam
08-17-2011, 06:47 PM
I don't BELIEVE that's true, though I'm not 100% sure of that. You could buy NFLST To Go last year without a DTV account, and I don't think there were any major hoops that you had to go through to prove you couldn't get DTV.

In my experience it's been as simple as "my apartment doesn't face southwest", "there's a tree in the way" or "my landlord won't let me put up a dish."

Drek
08-17-2011, 07:00 PM

From the link:

By that they simply mean not having DirecTV. Its open to anyone who wants to sign up.

It will also almost definitely be an entirely streaming, no local storage allowed, service. That is what their Go service has been, its what MLB, NHL, and the NBA use through various season pass systems, and it complies with the NFL's desire to control rebroadcasts and forward people who witch to rewatch through their online Rewind service.

mkporter
08-17-2011, 07:20 PM
By that they simply mean not having DirecTV. Its open to anyone who wants to sign up.

It will also almost definitely be an entirely streaming, no local storage allowed, service. That is what their Go service has been, its what MLB, NHL, and the NBA use through various season pass systems, and it complies with the NFL's desire to control rebroadcasts and forward people who witch to rewatch through their online Rewind service.

I think you are wrong. I don't know how rigorously they verify whether or not you can get DirecTV, but I'm pretty sure that is the policy.

From an older article:
http://hd.engadget.com/2010/08/23/directv-to-offer-sunday-ticket-online-in-hd-to-non-subscribers/

From wikipedia:
On March 23, 2009, it was announced that DirecTV paid $4 billion to extend its exclusive contract for NFL Sunday Ticket until 2014.[1] The contract extension also calls for the establishment of an online version of NFL Sunday Ticket, for customers who cannot subscribe to DirecTV by 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Sunday_Ticket

From DirecTV press release:
NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ on Broadband: Fans who live in areas where DIRECTV's service is not available, such as apartment buildings or in residences with poor sightlines to a satellite signal, will be able to purchase a new NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ broadband package.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/article.jsp?assetId=P5590122

Rother8
08-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Wonder if it'll be like Netflix and MLB.tv where you can "split" it with someone..

DaFace
08-17-2011, 07:45 PM
I think you are wrong. I don't know how rigorously they verify whether or not you can get DirecTV, but I'm pretty sure that is the policy.

From an older article:
http://hd.engadget.com/2010/08/23/directv-to-offer-sunday-ticket-online-in-hd-to-non-subscribers/

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Sunday_Ticket

From DirecTV press release:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/article.jsp?assetId=P5590122

I suppose they may say that, but that's 99% unenforceable. It's not like they're going to send someone out to your place to check.

DaFace
08-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Wonder if it'll be like Netflix and MLB.tv where you can "split" it with someone..

Not 100% sure on this specific deal, but with last year's NFLST "to go," the only thing was you couldn't be streaming on two devices simultaneously. Aside from that...I can confirm that two people in two different locations can use it at different times without any issue. Allegedly.

mkporter
08-17-2011, 07:57 PM
I suppose they may say that, but that's 99% unenforceable. It's not like they're going to send someone out to your place to check.

It's as enforceable as they want it to be. They clearly would rather force you to subscribe to their service to get it. They may do nothing in practice though.

On an unrelated note, I read that it will be available for Roku as well this year.

baja
08-17-2011, 09:30 PM
is this for US subscribers only?

ludo21
08-17-2011, 09:32 PM
tempting...the inability to dvr games is a killer for me though. no way im available for every game "live".

DivineLegion
08-18-2011, 12:11 AM

Do you ever watch into the wormhole with Morgan Freeman?

24champ
08-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Damn that's such a tempting offer, a bit pricey though.

ol#7
08-18-2011, 12:35 AM
is this for US subscribers only?

Wondering this as well. I can get the ticket through NFL.com as an overseas subscriber for less, but that doesnt include rewind and I have to stream through the computer. I would rather go the PS3 route if its available.

Drunk Monkey
08-18-2011, 05:10 AM
It's as enforceable as they want it to be. They clearly would rather force you to subscribe to their service to get it. They may do nothing in practice though.

On an unrelated note, I read that it will be available for Roku as well this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if they limited it to past DTV users. If you are on that list of having had service in the past they may not give it to you.

Dutch
08-18-2011, 07:33 AM
This could be a great answer for those of us that would like/love to have Sunday Ticket but cannot use DTV. For those that have never had a problem with receiving DTV, great for you. In my area (Northwestern Atlanta) DTV is not happening. We are surrounded by 100' pine trees and oaks so there is no clear "line of site". Factor in our volatile weather, and all 6 of my neighbors that tried to convert to DTV ended up going back to hard cable within 6-8 weeks. Just too many connectivity issues. $340 is steep, but it would sure be nice to see the Broncos more than 3-4 times a year. Going to have to think about this one and do some homework on the package. Less than $25 a game will still save me a bit over the sports bars, plus reduce the stress of driving after having a couple of beers (NOT a good idea in my area, thank you Cobb County Gestapo). DUI/DWI's are real expensive and they hand 'em out like candy around here any chance they get. The Law especially likes to hang out around our sports bars on Friday through Sunday nights.

spdirty
08-18-2011, 07:38 AM
I would have to take a long look at doing this if it werent for the fact that I get all Bronco games anyway and I have the freakin awesome redzone channel for $7/month.

Dutch
08-18-2011, 08:25 AM
I would have to take a long look at doing this if it werent for the fact that I get all Bronco games anyway and I have the freakin awesome redzone channel for $7/month.

I just wish I didn't live in the market we are in. If the Falcons are the late game on Sunday, then we do not get the AFC game on at the same time. A couple of years ago the schedule shook out that ever time the Falcons played in the afternoon game, we were playing early. I was able to see 8 of the 16 games the Broncos played in that year (the most in 15 years in Atlanta). I usually just get onto KOA online a couple of hours early and get the game (you won't have any problems or have to pay anything if you get on early and keep the connection up for the whole game).

mkporter
08-18-2011, 08:58 AM
This could be a great answer for those of us that would like/love to have Sunday Ticket but cannot use DTV. For those that have never had a problem with receiving DTV, great for you. In my area (Northwestern Atlanta) DTV is not happening. We are surrounded by 100' pine trees and oaks so there is no clear "line of site". Factor in our volatile weather, and all 6 of my neighbors that tried to convert to DTV ended up going back to hard cable within 6-8 weeks. Just too many connectivity issues. $340 is steep, but it would sure be nice to see the Broncos more than 3-4 times a year. Going to have to think about this one and do some homework on the package. Less than $25 a game will still save me a bit over the sports bars, plus reduce the stress of driving after having a couple of beers (NOT a good idea in my area, thank you Cobb County Gestapo). DUI/DWI's are real expensive and they hand 'em out like candy around here any chance they get. The Law especially likes to hang out around our sports bars on Friday through Sunday nights.

If price is holding you back, you should see if they are willing to give a discount for the online service. They almost always give a discount for the regular Sunday ticket if you ask.

DaFace
08-18-2011, 09:20 AM
If price is holding you back, you should see if they are willing to give a discount for the online service. They almost always give a discount for the regular Sunday ticket if you ask.

I'll be curious to see if they'd go for it, but I have my doubts. When you get discounts for NFLST, they technically apply the discounts to your regular DTV service and still charge you full price for NFLST. I think there's some weird contractual reason for that.

Chris
08-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Wondering this as well. I can get the ticket through NFL.com as an overseas subscriber for less, but that doesnt include rewind and I have to stream through the computer. I would rather go the PS3 route if its available.

Can you give more detail on this? I'm sure my dad would like to know.

Also is there any way to stream FROM PS3 to a computer using slingbox / a competitor?

bfoflcommish
08-18-2011, 09:58 AM

The redzone is ****ty compared to actual Suday Ticket! I have a friend who told me redzone is awesome, i watched it one day at his place....ummm no. not nearly the same thing nor is it awesome.

24champ
08-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Supposedly, they charge DirectTV users the same amount on the dish.

From the comments on that site linked by OP.

"DIRECT TV lists their NFL Sunday Ticket as 66.95 per month for the season plan. That comes to 334.75 for the season. So we are basically paying 5 dollars more for it than regular DIRECT TV customers."- sdchronos

DaFace
08-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Supposedly, they charge DirectTV users the same amount on the dish.

From the comments on that site linked by OP.

"DIRECT TV lists their NFL Sunday Ticket as 66.95 per month for the season plan. That comes to 334.75 for the season. So we are basically paying 5 dollars more for it than regular DIRECT TV customers."- sdchronos

That's true, though most savvy NFLST customers call and bitch about the price to get steep discounts. I personally got $25x6months plus $20x6 months off this year, for a total discount of $270.

24champ
08-18-2011, 11:01 AM
That's true, though most savvy NFLST customers call and b**** about the price to get steep discounts. I personally got $25x6months plus $20x6 months off this year, for a total discount of $270.

That works well for DirectTV customers, but I don't think the PS3 users looking at this NFST offer have much leverage to bring the price down.

broncosteven
08-18-2011, 11:28 AM
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/301261_10150282426459485_838074484_7558497_7636265 _n.jpg

Thats my goofy ass right there.

When I googled Douche Nozzle this picture came up!

LOL

DaFace
08-18-2011, 11:46 AM
That works well for DirectTV customers, but I don't think the PS3 users looking at this NFST offer have much leverage to bring the price down.

Yeah, that's kind of what I mean. It may seem like you're only paying $5 extra, but many DTV subscribers pay far less than the published price.

Chris
08-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Hmm... honestly now I'm flashing to thinking about a season where I don't hang with the regulars. It's nice to be around Broncos fans. It's rare. Then again... I'd love to have the games in my apartment.

maher_tyler
08-18-2011, 02:47 PM
It'd be cheaper to just sign up for DTV..you get the Ticket for free!

Rock Chalk
08-19-2011, 05:23 AM
Do you ever watch into the wormhole with Morgan Freeman?

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3257488&postcount=14

tsiguy96
08-19-2011, 05:32 AM
The redzone is ****ty compared to actual Suday Ticket! I have a friend who told me redzone is awesome, i watched it one day at his place....ummm no. not nearly the same thing nor is it awesome.

some people LOVE redzone, i personally dont care for it at all. i want to see HOW teams got into the red zone, follow the "story" of one specific game instead of jumping back and forth constantly. that said, i turn it on during commercials..

Archer81
08-19-2011, 05:56 AM
It'd be cheaper to just sign up for DTV..you get the Ticket for free!

This season.

What about next year?

:Broncos:

tnedator
08-19-2011, 06:02 AM
some people LOVE redzone, i personally dont care for it at all. i want to see HOW teams got into the red zone, follow the "story" of one specific game instead of jumping back and forth constantly. that said, i turn it on during commercials..

Depends. If I'm really "watching," I don't want to sit there watching the Red Zone channel bopping around. However, if I'm goofing around on the computer and just half watching, I think it's a great for the background and to keep up with things.

When I'm watching the Bronco game, I will often have the Red Zone channel on my PC or laptop (depending on where I'm watching the game), so I can keep an eye on other games.

maher_tyler
08-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Depends. If I'm really "watching," I don't want to sit there watching the Red Zone channel bopping around. However, if I'm goofing around on the computer and just half watching, I think it's a great for the background and to keep up with things.

When I'm watching the Bronco game, I will often have the Red Zone channel on my PC or laptop (depending on where I'm watching the game), so I can keep an eye on other games.

F that, when the Broncos are on, that is the only game i care about. During commercials i might watch it.

tnedator
08-19-2011, 10:19 AM
F that, when the Broncos are on, that is the only game i care about. During commercials i might watch it.

That's mostly what I do, but I don't switch back and forth. Bronco game stays on the big screen, and I keep redzone, twitter and a forum up on the laptop (or PC if I happen to be watching on the small plasma TV).