PDA

View Full Version : Invesco to be renamed "Sports Authority Field" starting 3pm today

Mogulseeker
08-16-2011, 02:41 AM
It will be renamed Sports Authority Field, pending a 3pm board meeting today.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18688964

If approved, Sports Authority would replace the 10 years remaining on Invesco's initial naming rights deal and extend it 15 more years through the year 2035.

Sports Authority would pay an average of $6 million per year to have its name on the Broncos' stadium, with 50 percent of that revenue going to the team and 50 percent going to the stadium district. Matt Sugar, a former stadium district spokesman who has been brought back as a consultant, said the stadium district uses its taxpayer funding to make capital improvements to the stadium.

Read more: Look for Denver Broncos' stadium to be called Sports Authority Field at Mile High, starting Tuesday - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18688964#ixzz1VBBUIkj2

Mogulseeker
08-16-2011, 02:46 AM
Opinion pieces:

Oppose: "At 5,280 feet, the people's choice will always be Mile High" - Paige
http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_18678412

In favor: "The big business of sports requires that you surrender nostalgia" - Kilis
http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_18678348

Doggcow
08-16-2011, 03:07 AM
Need more minx fur coats dude

Ratboy
08-16-2011, 04:58 AM
I like it more than Invesco.

We just need a team that will show "Authority"

Doggcow
08-16-2011, 05:10 AM
I like it more than Invesco.

We just need a team that will show "Authority"

Yeah, especially when some white guy thinks he can run the ball so we should authoritatively give his ass away.

extralife
08-16-2011, 05:20 AM
pretty sure everyone in the world that is not contractually obligated to use the official name is still just going to call it Mile High

UberBroncoMan
08-16-2011, 05:55 AM
I actually had no problem calling it Invesco. Very short and simple. **** that abomination of a name though. Mile High will do just fine. My big thing though is I considered Mile High dead when the old stadium was torn down. The new one is a shadow of what it once was in terms of noise production.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-16-2011, 05:57 AM
I was hoping for a more proper name. Like Massengil Mile High.

RhymesayersDU
08-16-2011, 06:09 AM
So when this goes through, will they be doing construction on the stadium immediately to change the signage? I know it probably wouldn't happen before this Saturday, but I wonder how that will work with the season so close to starting.

Garcia Bronco
08-16-2011, 06:52 AM
Yep...still going to call it Mile High

strafen
08-16-2011, 06:58 AM
Mile Hi. There's simply no substitution...

Beantown Bronco
08-16-2011, 07:17 AM
So when this goes through, will they be doing construction on the stadium immediately to change the signage? I know it probably wouldn't happen before this Saturday, but I wonder how that will work with the season so close to starting.

All Pat has to do is bring a big ass truck over to the local Home Depot or Lowes and pick up 100 "day laborers". They could have it done in a day or two.

Kaylore
08-16-2011, 07:54 AM
Fine with this. It has sports in the name.

And calling it Mile High does a disservice to Mile High Stadium, which it is not.

g00fyfoot
08-16-2011, 08:09 AM
I will continue to call it "the stadium".

fdf
08-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Opinion pieces:

Oppose: "At 5,280 feet, the people's choice will always be Mile High" - Paige
http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_18678412

In favor: "The big business of sports requires that you surrender nostalgia" - Kilis
http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_18678348

I'm still holding out for "Bears Stadium." Is that nostalgia?

Beantown Bronco
08-16-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm still holding out for "Bears Stadium." Is that nostalgia?

I'd probably give that a "9" and Invesco a "6".

spdirty
08-16-2011, 08:42 AM
I've always just called it "church."

Smiling Assassin27
08-16-2011, 09:05 AM
We must not be taxing those bastards enough if they can afford to pay that kind of scratch.

Sincerely,

Warren Buffett

DomCasual
08-16-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm just going to call it the SpAF (Sports Authority Field).

When we're not playing well at home, we can say we have a SpAF infection.

When we are playing well at home, and Rod Smith shows up for a game, we can say, "My Rod and my SpAF, they comfort me!"

You see where I'm going with this?

jhns
08-16-2011, 10:06 AM
I wonder if they considered Tebow Field @ Mile High.

baja
08-16-2011, 10:08 AM
That is seemingly a better name

vancejohnson82
08-16-2011, 10:21 AM
first LenDale Whiteis released and then this?

i don't know if I can handle any more insignifcant news

broncofan2438
08-16-2011, 10:24 AM
It will be and has always been Mile High...period. Sports Authority Field is ok I guess

ColoradoDarin
08-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Mile High will always be that glorious structure that is now a parking lot.

Investco, SAF, the diaphragm or whatever you want to call it now is something else.

Que
08-16-2011, 10:45 AM
fail

baja
08-16-2011, 10:48 AM
So now we are known as Safmi Stadium or SAFMI

Garcia Bronco
08-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Mile High will always be that glorious structure that is now a parking lot.

Investco, SAF, the diaphragm or whatever you want to call it now is something else.

Not locally. Everyone I know, which is a number of people, still call it Mile High. It's on the stadium....it just has other words around it that I never see. :)

RaiderH8r
08-16-2011, 11:21 AM
So now we are known as Safmi Stadium or SAFMI

I'm an all for big business kind of guy but I have to wonder how much Invesco and SAFMI paid the Broncos vs. what tax payers ponied up to have the stadium built. Which, and please correct me if I'm wrong, came with the promise of keeping the Mile High name.

Also, Sports Authority sucks. Dick's is much better. Dick's Mile High.

Mogulseeker
08-16-2011, 11:23 AM
I like Sports Authority because they're the only place around here that carries Left-Handed Callaway clubs.

At least it's a Denver-based company, too.

Also... ColoradoDarin is right. The real Mile High is a parking lot now.

HILife
08-16-2011, 12:16 PM
price of scotch going up?

HILife
08-16-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm an all for big business kind of guy but I have to wonder how much Invesco and SAFMI paid the Broncos vs. what tax payers ponied up to have the stadium built. Which, and please correct me if I'm wrong, came with the promise of keeping the Mile High name.

Also, Sports Authority sucks. Dick's is much better. Dick's Mile High.

Mile High Dick's. That's how I would describe me.

RaiderH8r
08-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Mile High Dick's. That's how I would describe me.

http://www.flybynightclub.com/img/gift_skinny.jpg

tsiguy96
08-16-2011, 12:33 PM
klis just said it may not be renamed until the start of the season. has to go to a vote.

TailgateNut
08-16-2011, 12:43 PM
klis just said it may not be renamed until the start of the season. has to go to a vote.

By the MFSD (MotherF***ingStadiumDickheads)? The same "district" which voted to allow IncestCo to buy the naming rights.

Beantown Bronco
08-16-2011, 12:46 PM

I'd love to see someone vote against money coming in to the city. Unless some other bidder is offering more $ per year, I really don't see it as any more than a technicality.

tsiguy96
08-16-2011, 01:53 PM
I'd love to see someone vote against money coming in to the city. Unless some other bidder is offering more $ per year, I really don't see it as any more than a technicality.

true, but at the same time this isnt really "urgent" to anyone. moneys coming in regardless for the next 10 years, no need to rush this through if its not necessary.

Man-Goblin
08-16-2011, 01:55 PM
So is this 3 PM Eastern or 3 PM Mountain time? I just want to know what to call it right now.

g00fyfoot
08-16-2011, 01:55 PM
To be honest, I resent the "at Mile High" part tacked on to the corporate name. When the stadium was being built many fans were adamant that the new stadium retain the old name, i.e. not have the team sell it's history and tradition to the highest bidder (which was never an option). This was just throwing them a bone, as if the words Mile High were all that mattered, and everyone was happy. As if. So instead of a generic new corporate named stadium, we have a generic new corporate named stadium that smears the name of beloved old hallowed ground in its very title. It's a bit insulting, imo.

The world has changed. Everything is for sale. Just give it a corporate name and be done with it. Few fans pay attention to the names of stadiums anymore, anyway.

dbfan4life
08-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Way better than Invesco. At least I've heard of Sports Authority. I had no idea what Invesco was (and I barely do now for that matter!)

Beantown Bronco
08-16-2011, 02:07 PM
true, but at the same time this isnt really "urgent" to anyone. moneys coming in regardless for the next 10 years, no need to rush this through if its not necessary.

Still, this deal would actually extend the original deal another 15 years. That's $45 mil MORE going to the city than Invesco was under contract for.

NFLBRONCO
08-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Mile High Brothel would be better. More and more opponents come in for 3 hours and usually leave with a big smile afterwards. Gawd I miss ole mile hi

ghostofjosh
08-16-2011, 02:52 PM
maybe sports authority will carry tons more broncos apparel

tsiguy96
08-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Still, this deal would actually extend the original deal another 15 years. That's $45 mil MORE going to the city than Invesco was under contract for.

i know, just saying that for the next 10 years, denver gets paid regardless. no reason to rush to vote today if it wont change anything for awhile, and that appears to be the case.

OBF1
08-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Cartmans,"Respect my authority" at Mile High. I like

cutthemdown
08-16-2011, 03:50 PM
I like Sports Authority because they're the only place around here that carries Left-Handed Callaway clubs.

At least it's a Denver-based company, too.

Also... ColoradoDarin is right. The real Mile High is a parking lot now.

There was an empty circuit city in my town for awhile now. I was wondering what was going in there and today I noticed a grand opening for Sports Authority. Its a big building they must be making a push to expand into new markets. It makes sense because there are a lot of SD and Oak fans around that will see that, It does help there name get out on the west coast more I guess. Still it seems like a lot just to name a stadium.

OBF1
08-16-2011, 04:19 PM
S/A has been in SoCal for years.

Dagmar
08-16-2011, 04:25 PM
According to the Post it's official now.

http://t.co/GQjJBaT

OBF1
08-16-2011, 04:28 PM
oh boy, yippie and wooohooo my day has been made.

myMind
08-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Its still called Mile High to me.
I choose to ignore the pupetmaster corporations.

tsiguy96
08-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Sports Authority @ Mile High

weird...

Bronx33
08-16-2011, 05:35 PM
I am calling it mile high just like always.

Punisher
08-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Mile High

Chris
08-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Rocky Mountain Oysters at Mile High

Gort
08-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Sports Authority @ Mile High

weird...

it'll be easier to just call it SAF @ Mile High

Mogulseeker
08-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Way better than Invesco. At least I've heard of Sports Authority. I had no idea what Invesco was (and I barely do now for that matter!)

Eh. I might be studying finance, but it's hard to see that. If you had a retirement fund like a Roth IRA or a 401k, you would have heard of them.

Rock Chalk
08-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Eh, who cares what its called.

What makes a stadium great are the fans inside and the team on the field.

Denver no longer has great fans and the team sucks.

The "great" fans Denver used to have are old, cynical douches and the yuppies that are taking up the slack now suck at life and would rather be sipping wine, smoking weed and eating cheese that actually know what the **** a zone coverage is.

That and the team has been ****ing aweful for over a decade save one, really miraculous year led by a QB no one seemed to like (though I absolutely loved).

Dont blame the corporation for putting a name on a building. Blame the ****ty fans inside and the ****ty product on the field for the loss of the magic.

Mogulseeker
08-16-2011, 06:47 PM
it'll be easier to just call it SAF @ Mile High

People will just call it Mile High.... I'm thinking we need a new name. The other stadium was Mile High... if we bought the naming rights, we should just call it "5280 Field" or something like that.

Mogulseeker
08-16-2011, 06:48 PM

The "great" fans Denver used to have are old, cynical douches and the yuppies that are taking up the slack now suck at life and would rather be sipping wine, smoking weed and eating cheese that actually know what the **** a zone coverage is.

That and the team has been ****ing aweful for over a decade save one, really miraculous year led by a QB no one seemed to like (though I absolutely loved).

Dont blame the corporation for putting a name on a building. Blame the ****ty fans inside and the ****ty product on the field for the loss of the magic.

IDK, my fellow 536ers are pretty into it.

Mogulseeker
08-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Barack Obama called it "Mile High Stadium" during the 2008 DNC.

Mogulseeker
08-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Denver Post reporting the name change is official.

TailgateNut
08-16-2011, 07:31 PM

Pretty good "picture'.

*WARHORSE*
08-16-2011, 07:37 PM
The Authority of Sports at Mile High:afro:

The Mile High Sports Authority:strong:

Sports a Mile High with Authority Hilarious!

Sports High with Miles of Authority:egbgb:

Mile High Authority in the Stadium of Sports:sunshine:

Chris
08-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Respect the Authoritay of my Sports High

Tim
08-16-2011, 07:47 PM
I still call sports authority 'Garts' and I will still call the stadium mile hi.

broncosteven
08-16-2011, 08:23 PM
S/A has been in SoCal for years.

I have 2 SA's within 2 miles of each other in Bloomingdale IL. They built the 1st one then left the 2nd open when they bought out Sports Mart. Not sure why they keep 2 stores open so close, maybe they think people still think it is sports mart, they did look very much the same.

broncosteven
08-16-2011, 08:24 PM
BTW it is not like we moved to LA then back to Denver, it is just naming rights.

RaiderH8r
08-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Is there any chance whatsoever that this deal included a f'ing DT that is worth a damn?

Can we give them Xanders to manage their San Jose outlet as part of the deal? No extra cost just get him the f out of Denver for the sake of everybody's sanity.

montrose
08-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Apparently Sports Authority is going to head up "enhancements" to the stadium to "imrpove the fan experience" whatever that means. I also remember reading they plan to put a Sports Authority store in the stadium. I'm not sure how they do that outside of renovating around the team store to expand it and simply rebranding it. I'm interested to see what changes are made by Saturday and how much progress they make by the end of the year.

TheChamp24
08-17-2011, 08:17 AM
If anybody has a view of it, I'd like to know if the stadium still has the Invesco name on it today.

Pick Six
08-17-2011, 10:14 AM
At least, it's a sports-related name, not a friggin' mutual funds company. That's a start...

montrose
08-17-2011, 10:22 AM

So true, although I'd wave the finger a little more towards the ****ty fanbase than the product (i.e. AFC Title Game in 2005)

Tombstone RJ
08-17-2011, 11:26 AM
I still call sports authority 'Garts' and I will still call the stadium mile hi.

Sniagrab@Mile High!?!

TailgateNut
08-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Sniagrab@Mile High!?!

There hasn't been a bargain on anything at Mile High for eons.

theAPAOps5
08-17-2011, 11:55 AM
If anybody has a view of it, I'd like to know if the stadium still has the Invesco name on it today.

Drove by this morning on my way to work. Cranes were already setting up to switch the sign. They had the new one sitting on the ground.

Rock Chalk
08-17-2011, 11:59 AM
IDK, my fellow 536ers are pretty into it.

Obviously there are still SOME great fans that go to the games.

But the magic of old mile high was built on blue collar guys from the 60s, 70s and 80s. That generation is old now and the younger generation are a bunch of **** tards for the most part.

Peoples Champ
08-17-2011, 12:02 PM

Remember when it was Jumbo Sports?

Tombstone RJ
08-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Obviously there are still SOME great fans that go to the games.

But the magic of old mile high was built on blue collar guys from the 60s, 70s and 80s. That generation is old now and the younger generation are a bunch of **** tards for the most part.

yep, because they are all transplants for cali. I very much dislike them. See CU Boulder for a prime example.

theAPAOps5
08-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Drove by it yesterday and it looked like how it should be named:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n224/ApaOps5/IMG_20110817_175722.jpg

TailgateNut
08-31-2011, 11:13 AM
Drove by it yesterday and it looked like how it should be named:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n224/ApaOps5/IMG_20110817_175722.jpg

Drove by today and they have a "KC RED" banner which reads "Sports Authority Field". ****ing disgusting that they couldn't add "@ Mile High" nor get the damn color right.

****ing assholes

BigPlayShay
08-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Drove by today and they have a "KC RED" banner which reads "Sports Authority Field". ****ing disgusting that they couldn't add "@ Mile High" nor get the damn color right.

****ing a-holes

It's temporary.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_18793021

The sign is just a temporary "banner" that holds a place until the permanent sign goes up in the next week or two, a representative for Sports Authority said Tuesday afternoon.

The new sign will include "At Mile High" and match the color of Bronco uniforms, according to the company.

TailgateNut
08-31-2011, 11:19 AM
It's temporary.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_18793021

The sign is just a temporary "banner" that holds a place until the permanent sign goes up in the next week or two, a representative for Sports Authority said Tuesday afternoon.

The new sign will include "At Mile High" and match the color of Bronco uniforms, according to the company.

I know the "details", but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this is a slap in the face of anyone who is a bronco fan.

Get that KC red **** off of our house! NOW! Leave it BLANK!

BroncoBuff
08-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Qwest Field was renamed 'CenturyLink Field' up here last month.

Too much money in these naming rights to argue.

theAPAOps5
08-31-2011, 02:29 PM
I know the "details", but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this is a slap in the face of anyone who is a bronco fan.

Get that KC red **** off of our house! NOW! Leave it BLANK!

I agree the temp sign is disgusting.

spdirty
08-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Wow, people come up with the dumbest **** to bitch about. It a ****ing temp sign for Gods sakes why get yourself all worked up over bull**** like that. More important **** to worry about than a ****ing temp sign.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-31-2011, 02:57 PM
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt98/whiffofbile/thisIsAnOutrage.jpg

theAPAOps5
08-31-2011, 03:09 PM
Wow, people come up with the dumbest **** to b**** about. It a ****ing temp sign for Gods sakes why get yourself all worked up over bull**** like that. More important **** to worry about than a ****ing temp sign.

Yeah who is the one working themselves up? I think its you. Thanks for the laugh though, hypocrite.

Hilarious!

spdirty
08-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Yeah who is the one working themselves up? I think its you. Thanks for the laugh though, hypocrite.

Hilarious!

Eh when the outrage over the color of a temp sign gets so loud it makes the friggin news it kinda chaps my ass a little. It's like wtf, people have nothing better to do than b**** about that? So I like to bitch about people that bitch about it.:)

TailgateNut
08-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Eh when the outrage over the color of a temp sign gets so loud it makes the friggin news it kinda chaps my ass a little. It's like wtf, people have nothing better to do than b**** about that? So I like to b**** about people that b**** about it.:)

Why are you upset. Didn't get the contract, or did get it and ****ed up the color scheme.

BroncoBuff
08-31-2011, 04:39 PM

Hilarious!

Hammer, meet nail.

You're always the one getting worked up, spud-ditty. Nothing wrong with that, but ... :~ohyah!:

BigPlayShay
08-31-2011, 06:09 PM
...and now the big red banner is down. Good on sports authority.

Sodak
08-31-2011, 06:13 PM
I call it "Mile High Stadium". They can call it whatever they want; it'll still be Mile High.

theAPAOps5
08-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Hammer, meet nail.

You're always the one getting worked up, spud-ditty. Nothing wrong with that, but ... :~ohyah!:

No, actually I really don't. Run along now. ;)

theAPAOps5
08-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Eh when the outrage over the color of a temp sign gets so loud it makes the friggin news it kinda chaps my ass a little. It's like wtf, people have nothing better to do than b**** about that? So I like to b**** about people that b**** about it.:)

I just thought it was funny saying people need to chill when your post about chilling out was full of insinuated curse words. I used the word hypocrite but a more accurate word is ironic. No harm intended. :kiss:^5

By the way the sign was removed today!

BroncoBuff
08-31-2011, 06:59 PM
No, actually I really don't. Run along now. ;)

Knothead, I was on your side. ???

"Spud-ditty" is spdirty ....

theAPAOps5
08-31-2011, 07:02 PM
Knothead, I was on your side. ???

"Spud-ditty" is spdirty ....

You quoted me! Which generally means that you are directing your comment at the person you quoted. That and every now and then you like to take some shot at me? LOL

I was trying to figure out what spud-ditty meant!

Now I am just confused. Soooooooo I will run along!

Jetmeck
08-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Give the Chefs credit, they kept there stadium name when they renovated. Of course I heard they suck so bad regularly no one wanted to pay 1 million and be affiliated with the bums.

spdirty
09-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Why are you upset. Didn't get the contract, or did get it and ****ed up the color scheme.

Man I wouldn't know the first thing about making or putting one of those fancy bastards up. The extent of my abilities is putting up one of those big overhead Class 3 signs.

So are you happy now that the evil red sign is down? I mean a lil piece of me wishes they would go further and put up "Sports Authority Field @ Mile High: Home of your Kansas City Chiefs!" Just to see heads explode.

Bottom line for me is that I don't care because that stadium doesnt mean **** to me. Its nothing more than a place to watch a football game, or a concert, or a speech. Old Mile high had a lot more meaning. That was the real church, not this pathetic sanitary piece of **** stadium.

Kaylore
09-01-2011, 08:26 AM
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt98/whiffofbile/thisIsAnOutrage.jpg

http://jesusmsanchezl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/cactus-swing.jpg

bronco militia
09-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Remember when it was Jumbo Sports?

it's still Gart Brothers to me.....

Chris
09-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Wait Gart Bros. is now Sports Authority? WTF? Sorry, haven't been to CO in a whiiiiile.

Beantown Bronco
09-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Not a bad looking design IMO.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4002:m5b5ti.2.4

They were smart to not specify color in the trademark design application, since their official colors are red and white. Since this was filed a week before anyone went public with their interest in picking up the naming rights, it looks like they were either anticipating public backlash or knew all along that they'd go against their standard corporate colors and go with either orange or blue.

Chris
09-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Not a bad looking design IMO.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4002:m5b5ti.2.4

They were smart to not specify color in the trademark design application, since their official colors are red and white. Since this was filed a week before anyone went public with their interest in picking up the naming rights, it looks like they were either anticipating public backlash or knew all along that they'd go against their standard corporate colors and go with either orange or blue.

Link doesn't work.

bronco militia
09-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Wait Gart Bros. is now Sports Authority? WTF? Sorry, haven't been to CO in a whiiiiile.

yeah it changed from Gart Bros. to Gart Sports then Sports Authority.

:thanku: