PDA

View Full Version : Nate Irving

broncs2bowl
08-15-2011, 04:28 PM
"Nate Irving comes up w/the defensive play of the day - jumping in the air and snagging a one-handed INT"

Start him!!!! Joe Mays blows

Dagmar
08-15-2011, 04:29 PM
I don't think your sexual experience with Joe Mays should influence your opinion.

HAT
08-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Seemingly?

Ironlung
08-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Whats so bad about Mays?

Dr. Broncenstein
08-15-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm as big of a fan of Joe Mays as you'll find... and I don't think he should be a starter. I see him as a Keith Burns type of role player, but with a special emphasis on destroying anyone in his area. This team has been so milquetoast for so long that a guy like Mays seems like a breath of fresh air... even if he isn't a quality starter. I hope Irving has a comparable nasty streak in him. I get the feeling he does.

broncs2bowl
08-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Would you rather have one handed picks or Mays jumping in the air but even missing the deflection cuz his arms are too short.

PRBronco
08-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Probably because Tebow's windup was too long amirite guys?

/trollface here

Ironlung
08-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Atleast Mays isn't afraid to get in there and stuff a run...like we've been seeing from the MLB on this team for way too long...

Garcia Bronco
08-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Haggen is the best choice of the options IMO.

Doggcow
08-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Sounds like some Madden **** right there.

Ironlung
08-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Yikes!! Glad you guys don't make the decisions>

broncs2bowl
08-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Atleast Mays isn't afraid to get in there and stuff a run...like we've been seeing from the MLB on this team for way too long...

From what I remember Nate Webster and Al Wilson were pretty aggressive and good at getting their nose in to stop the run. Maybe Nate was liable in coverage. The only one I can recall as unaggresive would be the year we put DJ Williams at MLB

Ironlung
08-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Webster was AWFUL!

Dr. Broncenstein
08-15-2011, 04:59 PM
From what I remember Nate Webster and Al Wilson were pretty aggressive and good at getting their nose in to stop the run. Maybe Nate was liable in coverage. The only one I can recall as unaggresive would be the year we put DJ Williams at MLB

The only thing aggressive about Nate Webster was his flying helmet.

Chris
08-15-2011, 05:06 PM

Unless you put him in a playground.

PRBronco
08-15-2011, 05:09 PM

And his behaviour around 17 year old girls.

Oh snap.

*edit* Beaten by Chris!

tsiguy96
08-15-2011, 05:12 PM
nasty nate irving....pro bowl or bust.

UberBroncoMan
08-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Would be nice to have #56 back in the middle again.

Tombstone RJ
08-15-2011, 06:38 PM
what number is nasty nate wearing?

GoBroncos84
08-15-2011, 07:24 PM
what number is nasty nate wearing?

Cito Pelon
08-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Whats so bad about Mays?

I like Mays, and apparently so does the coaching staff since he's calling the D signals for the first team D.

broncs2bowl
08-15-2011, 07:26 PM
I like Mays, and apparently so does the coaching staff since he's calling the D signals for the first team D.

Only cuz hes the MLB

Doggcow
08-15-2011, 07:45 PM
I like MLB's that wear #56.

I like 'em a lot.

Archer81
08-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Is there a rule that every guy named Nate gets the nickname Nasty?

Because clearly every time a dude gets called Nasty Nate in Denver he ends up being a bust or a writer for deadspin.

:Broncos:

tsiguy96
08-15-2011, 08:35 PM

Because clearly every time a dude gets called Nasty Nate in Denver he ends up being a bust or a *former* writer for deadspin.

no way nate can go back to writing after the verbal humiliation he recieved from kluwe.

Tombstone RJ
08-15-2011, 08:36 PM

Because clearly every time a dude gets called Nasty Nate in Denver he ends up being a bust or a writer for deadspin.

How about Nappy Nate--that ok?

Archer81
08-15-2011, 08:39 PM

I'm good with #56 Nate Irving. Or Irv. Or that dude. Or just Nate. We are a little quick to give nicknames to rookies. I am convinced anytime someone is called nasty or "mf" that player will go to cleveland or detroit.

Or writing for deadspin.

Ratboy
08-15-2011, 08:40 PM

Even if he does completely miss the ball carrier...

bowtown
08-15-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm good with #56 Nate Irving. Or Irv. Or that dude. Or just Nate. We are a little quick to give nicknames to rookies. I am convinced anytime someone is called nasty or "mf" that player will go to cleveland or detroit.

Or writing for deadspin.

Newbie Nate?

Ironlung
08-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Even if he does completely miss the ball carrier...

Oh sure. Yep, he always flies in there and COMPLETELY MISSES the ball carrier. I seem to remember a lot more big hits when he gets there, not whiffing.

Im not saying hes an all pro because he's not. But maybe give the guy a chance? Its not like we've been watching him suck year in and year out like Webster.

Tombstone RJ
08-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Newbie Nate?

Neo Nate?

Boomhauer
08-20-2011, 06:13 AM
Any word on if Irving will be playing today and where on the depth chart? He and Mohamed are the only good possibilities to start at MLB this season. Haggan is crap and Mays should be 3rd string, only because we need Larsen at FB, and it wouldn't surprise me if we picked up a more athletic waiver wire MLB to replace Mays on 3rd string and SP-Ts.
I'm as big of a fan of Joe Mays as you'll find... and I don't think he should be a starter. I see him as a Keith Burns type of role player, but with a special emphasis on destroying anyone in his area. This team has been so milquetoast for so long that a guy like Mays seems like a breath of fresh air... even if he isn't a quality starter. I hope Irving has a comparable nasty streak in him. I get the feeling he does.
The saying in baseball "Chics dig the long ball (HR)" also applies to slam dunks in basketball and big hits in football, but at least a HR can change the outcome of the game while dunks and big hits are just Sportcenter fodder.

Requiem
08-20-2011, 07:17 AM
^ Lol

Shananahan
08-20-2011, 07:27 AM
I can't figure out what Boomhauer's posting angle is at all. Almost none of his opinions about players have any sort of logic attached to them, and he hardly ever responds to any questions about them.

He's like some prototype spambot or something.

cmhargrove
08-20-2011, 08:08 AM
Any word on if Irving will be playing today and where on the depth chart? He and Mohamed are the only good possibilities to start at MLB this season. Haggan is crap and Mays should be 3rd string, only because we need Larsen at FB, and it wouldn't surprise me if we picked up a more athletic waiver wire MLB to replace Mays on 3rd string and SP-Ts.

The saying in baseball "Chics dig the long ball (HR)" also applies to slam dunks in basketball and big hits in football, but at least a HR can change the outcome of the game while dunks and big hits are just Sportcenter fodder.

Wasn't Haggan our team captain last year (voted by his peers), and didn't he lead the team in sacks after a transition from being an ILB to an OLB/DE?

Haggan and Mays may both have range limitations, and they aren't as instinctual as one would hope for an ILB, but they are hardly crap. Very good backups is what I would say. Now, we still need an "elite" starter at their spot, but they are hardly crap.

Why you would pick Mohamed over Mays (at this point) dumbfounds me.

orangenblue2
08-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Nater the Tater?

DarkHorse
08-20-2011, 09:06 AM

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/002/135/sw50sw8sw578.gif?1293729577

TheReverend
08-20-2011, 09:09 AM
How about "Scary Guy #2"? Or "Franklin's Mugger Sidekick"?

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/27/275925.jpg

TheReverend
08-20-2011, 09:17 AM
http://i.usatoday.net/sports/graphics/2011/nfl-draft-11/img/orlando-franklin.jpg

Rocksteady and Bebop, for those of the TMNT era :)

Ironlung
08-20-2011, 10:15 AM
http://i.usatoday.net/sports/graphics/2011/nfl-draft-11/img/orlando-franklin.jpg

Rocksteady and Bebop, for those of the TMNT era :)

LOL. I haven't heard those names in ages!

TheReverend
08-20-2011, 10:26 AM
LOL. I haven't heard those names in ages!

Look how well it fits O_o

http://images.wikia.com/villains/images/4/42/Ninja_Kaplumbaalar_Bebop_-_Rocksteady_Resimleri.jpg

bendog
08-20-2011, 10:31 AM

Racist. (-:

rugbythug
08-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Oh sure. Yep, he always flies in there and COMPLETELY MISSES the ball carrier. I seem to remember a lot more big hits when he gets there, not whiffing.

Im not saying hes an all pro because he's not. But maybe give the guy a chance? Its not like we've been watching him suck year in and year out like Webster.

People need to watch the dallas play again mays took out the lead blocker you know like you are supposed to.

TheReverend
08-20-2011, 11:00 AM
People need to watch the dallas play again mays took out the lead blocker you know like you are supposed to.

...what game are you watching?

Unless by "lead blocker" you meant Brian Dawkins? Because that's the only guy Mays hit (after he whiffed on the play)...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011081154/2011/PRE1/broncos@cowboys/watch

^ 58 seconds into the highlights vid

Ironlung
08-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Look how well it fits O_o

http://images.wikia.com/villains/images/4/42/Ninja_Kaplumbaalar_Bebop_-_Rocksteady_Resimleri.jpg

Thats hilarious! Good call.

broncswin
08-20-2011, 12:23 PM
how about: Perving Irving..(not that would be Cox)

how about: Swerving Irving...(no that would be DJ)

never mind I got nothin

BowlenBall
08-20-2011, 12:34 PM
What we need here is a good rhyming dictionary:

Nate "Bait" Irving
Nate "The Great" Irving
Nate "Blind Date" Irving
Nate "Clean Slate" Irving
Nate "Crime Rate" Irving
Nate "Cut Rate" Irving
Nate "Due Date" Irving
Nate "First Mate" Irving
Nate "Gold Plate" Irving
Nate "Light Weight" Irving
"Sedate" Nate Irving
Nate "Soul Mate" Irving
Nate "Conjugate" Irving
Nate "Overrate" Irving
"Underweight" Nate Irving

or

Nate "Curving" Irving
Nate "Swerving" Irving
Nate "Serving" Irving
Nate "Unnerving" Irving
Nate "Undeserving" Irving

PRBronco
08-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Half a Loaf Nate Irving.

End of Thread.

BowlenBall
08-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Half a Loaf Nate Irving.

End of Thread.

Well, half a linebacker is better than none, I suppose.

PRBronco
08-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Well, half a linebacker is better than none, I suppose.

On this defense? I'll take it :D

TheReverend
08-20-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm still going with Bebop all day, every day.

BowlenBall
08-20-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm still going with Bebop all day, every day.

The funny thing? Irving is probably too young to get the reference....

Boomhauer
08-20-2011, 01:42 PM
...what game are you watching? Unless by "lead blocker" you meant Brian Dawkins? Because that's the only guy Mays hit (after he whiffed on the play)...
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011081154/2011/PRE1/broncos@cowboys/watch - 58 seconds into the highlights vid

If you're referring to the 2min highlight; On the next play (screen) Woodyard flies in and makes the tackle on the far sideline before Mays can get there. Yes, Woodyard is fast, but no 4-3 MLB should be that slow.
Also, in the first three offensive plays at the start of the vid - Zane Beadles falls on his face, stacks his man, and wiffs on a LB at the second level. It doesn't look like he's improved since last season - The best example being Tebow's 20yrd TD run at Mile high that was supposed to be a right bootleg, but Beadles bellyflopped as the pulling guard so Tebow reversed to the left.

KipCorrington25
08-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Nate Webster probably my least favorite Bronco ever after Dale Carter and Rick Karlis, and that was before his legal issues.

~Crash~
08-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Haggen is the best choice of the options IMO.

Yep I agree to start out the season I would like Haggen also. latter on work in the rookie

Requiem
08-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Irving probably will never pan out as a starter. One of the picks I was most surprised about.

underrated29
08-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Irving probably will never pan out as a starter. One of the picks I was most surprised about.

Why you say that chris. I like what I have seen from his college days and so far its alright in the NFL...Parcells called him the best MLB in the draft. He seems smart and can hit and quick enough to stuff the run...

You are the first I have heard say he is probably not the goods

~Crash~
08-22-2011, 03:02 PM
he needs time because he is the person calling the play and directing players were to go, so if people want to knock they are silly to do so now..

Drek
08-22-2011, 04:56 PM
he needs time because he is the person calling the play and directing players were to go, so if people want to knock they are silly to do so now..

He's also still a little small. Give him a year to put on ~10 pounds of muscle and learn the job of an NFL level MLB and he's got serious potential.

Don't get all the hate on Mays though. Sure he's only a two down guy, but with DJ and Miller we don't exactly need a three down MLB, at least not consistently. What Mays does in two downs though is fill gaps and drill RBs. We need that kind of physical force up the middle. He's a very good fit if used correctly (read: sparingly).

campocorto
10-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Unsung hero of yesterday's game?

Popps
10-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Mays is a great situational player, and I love the guy... but we need a true, every-down enforcer/field general type guy for the defense. I have no idea if Irving is that guy. I know we had high hopes when we drafted hi.

schaaf
10-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Unsung hero of yesterday's game?

Did He cause the fumble on the onside kick?

campocorto
10-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Did He cause the fumble on the onside kick?

http://mediacdn.disqus.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/158/4135/original.jpg

schaaf
10-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Awesome! I have big hopes for him! I saw him in there but never saw that angle keep it up adopted bronco!!!!

Simple Jake
10-24-2011, 06:23 PM
http://mediacdn.disqus.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/158/4135/original.jpg

Awesome

Lestat
10-24-2011, 08:37 PM
i think the main issue with Irving from a perception standpoint is that he hasn't taken over the starting LB job from day 1.
we were a atrociously horrific defense last season and the LB play wasn't very good at all.
so then you have Nate get drafted in the third round whereas most fans expected him to be a 5th round pick.

now you have a hole at MLB on a bad defense and you spent a top 3 round pick on a MLB who isn't starting.
then you also had Bill Parcells say he was the best MLB in the draft in his opinion(and Parcells loves him some top end LB's).

Nate is coming along just fine as a player and there is no way you can make a judgement that he either will or won't be a good or better player after barely half a season.

Shananahan
10-24-2011, 08:41 PM
That may or may not have something to do with Fox's alleged preference for veterans.

Like everyone else, I'd love to see this kid put Mays back into a run-stopping fill-in position. I'd like to see him start regardless at this point, honestly, just to see if he's any good or not.

razorwire77
10-24-2011, 08:51 PM
We should all hope that Parcells is right and the kid turns out to be the answer at MLB. This team has been missing an instinctive 3 down MLB for half a decade now. Irving develops as a starter and Mays stays with the team as a goal line/running situation thumper would be an ideal situation. Much better than having to draft a Mike again in 2012.

That One Guy
10-24-2011, 08:58 PM
I no absolutely nothing of the guy but isn't MLB one of the positions that you can transition pretty easily at? There seems to have been a few that did it quickly and did quite well.

Hopefully he's ready by next year to at least give it a go. All we ask is that he doesn't Niko it up... too bad.

Requiem
10-24-2011, 10:18 PM
We should all hope that Parcells is right and the kid turns out to be the answer at MLB. This team has been missing an instinctive 3 down MLB for half a decade now. Irving develops as a starter and Mays stays with the team as a goal line/running situation thumper would be an ideal situation. Much better than having to draft a Mike again in 2012.

If Denver has a shot @ Teo or Keuchly, they should really consider them.

Agamemnon
10-24-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm not going to judge a guy before I see him play, but the fact that he hasn't gotten on the field at all is worrying...

BowlenBall
10-25-2011, 03:20 AM
Kudos to Irving for making that play yesterday (I didn't notice that it was him during the game).

However, like Agamemnon said... he's not getting on the field very much right now, which is annoying for a high 3rd-rounder at a position where players usually contribute early in their career....