PDA

View Full Version : Mike McCoy

elsid13
08-14-2011, 08:25 AM
So now that Mike McCoy is the Offensive Coordinator in both name and reality what do you expect out of this season? Do you think he becomes the next hot assistant coach or just a stand in until someone better comes along?

Crushaholic
08-14-2011, 09:07 AM
I don't even know why we HAD an offensive coordinator, during the Josh years. He was clearly in charge of calling the plays. Now, we'll see what McCoy can actually do...

Jay3
08-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Thoroughly unimpressive.

gunns
08-14-2011, 09:31 AM
So now that Mike McCoy is the Offensive Coordinator in both name and reality what do you expect out of this season? Do you think he becomes the next hot assistant coach or just a stand in until someone better comes along?

I think it was one of my most disappointing moments of this offseason, his hiring. I don't expect much from the offense, him being the primary reason.

Ray Finkle
08-14-2011, 09:32 AM
you have to give him an entire season. If he doesn't abandon the run at the first failed play, he'll be an improvement over McD.

SoCalBronco
08-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Not impressed with McCoy on his own. It seems he can't even get Tebow back to where he was last year and there's probably not going to be much imagination in the offense this year.

I'm surprised that the TheDave/Bea Arthur option only has 3 votes, though.

schaaf
08-14-2011, 10:11 AM
I think it was one of my most disappointing moments of this offseason, his hiring. I don't expect much from the offense, him being the primary reason.

May I ask why?

He was a pretty hot commodity over the offseason throughout the league

strafen
08-14-2011, 10:23 AM

To be fair and honest...I have personally not seen enough of the guy's work to call it one way or another.
I guess we will see what he's got as the season progresses. Too early to call...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-14-2011, 10:44 AM
There should be an option for "he doesn't have a long enough record for us to judge or not. Curious to see what we've got."

serious hops
08-14-2011, 11:22 AM
I say McDaniels was holding him back from being thoroughly mediocre.

Paladin
08-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Need another option"

"Like these guys would know?"

Tombstone RJ
08-14-2011, 11:45 AM
I think McCoy was kept because Fox knows him from Carolina and McCoy knows Tebow as well as anyone. I think McCoy is as good as any other OC option for the Broncos and perhaps the best candidate for now.

tsiguy96
08-14-2011, 11:48 AM
mcdaniels was holding mccoy back? really?

cabronco
08-14-2011, 11:59 AM
There should be an option for "he doesn't have a long enough record for us to judge or not. Curious to see what we've got."

This ^. Though I couldn't help but cringe on very first play of Dallas game. The ol quick screen out to the receiver that was batted down. I think it works in situations, but thought it was over used with McD. I'd rather see us use more regular screens, like the one Dallas used effectively against us..

Drek
08-14-2011, 12:15 PM
I have little faith, but he's here, he didn't cost cheap ol' Patty much scratch, and he's familiar with the talent on the roster as well as our new HC so he makes the transition easier.

My personal guess is that our offense will be something of a mess all season long. The Texans will put up another 8-8 or 7-9 season. Kubes gets fired, we replace McCoy with Kubes. It all comes full circle.

CEH
08-14-2011, 12:21 PM
30 rushes a game at 4 yards a clip is sure a great start for any OC and will sure make his job easier if we can truly run the ball. Have to wait for more samples but we know Fox will not abandon the run like Josh . I'd like to see more improvement from Tebow (hello Mr Gase) from the pocket.

2KBack
08-14-2011, 12:32 PM
I have little faith, but he's here, he didn't cost cheap ol' Patty much scratch, and he's familiar with the talent on the roster as well as our new HC so he makes the transition easier.

My personal guess is that our offense will be something of a mess all season long. The Texans will put up another 8-8 or 7-9 season. Kubes gets fired, we replace McCoy with Kubes. It all comes full circle.

That would be a pretty sweet scenario. Kubes is a really good offensive mind, and Fox likes defense.

bendog
08-14-2011, 01:31 PM
McCoy was with Fox in Car and got career years out of both Buerline and Delhomme. I don't know how good he'll be, but he's got a legit resume. Bill Walsh, he's not. Jim Fassell, maybe

Inkana7
08-14-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't think we can really judge him whatsoever from one series with the starters.

DenverBrit
08-14-2011, 01:51 PM
He does provide offensive continuity during a season of major changes and a lockout, but it's too early to tell.

cmhargrove
08-14-2011, 01:57 PM
McCoy is the side show this year. As long as we can bring back a healthy, run-heavy offense we will be fine.

Dennis Allen is the real story here. We need him to be "the next uber-assistant coach."

serious hops
08-14-2011, 02:51 PM

I'd take that. I certainly trust Gary to develop a young quarterback more than anyone on the current offensive staff-- whether that quarterback is Tim, a rookie drafted next year, or both. And we know Kubes can call plays for a run-heavy ZBS attack as well as anyone, which would fit with Fox's philosophy.

Swedish Extrovert
08-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Wasn't McCoy a QB coach? Isn't he the only coach on our team with experience with QBs?

oubronco
08-14-2011, 03:31 PM
I guess we'll see as the season plays out

FireFly
08-14-2011, 03:51 PM
At this point I'm a little skeptical but hoping for the best. I expect our offence to be completely unspectacular.

ScottXray
08-14-2011, 04:14 PM
you have to give him an entire season. If he doesn't abandon the run at the first failed play, he'll be an improvement over McD.

Well, if Ortons three incompletes in the red zone is any indication, he is going to call it just like last year and go pass happy. Of course there are signs that we may actually be able to run this year....but you couldn't tell by the play selection in the starters 1st drive on Thursday. Lets hope he is ABLE to adapt to that.

enjolras
08-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Well, if Ortons three incompletes in the red zone is any indication, he is going to call it just like last year and go pass happy. Of course there are signs that we may actually be able to run this year....but you couldn't tell by the play selection in the starters 1st drive on Thursday. Lets hope he is ABLE to adapt to that.

He was in the middle of bringing in a power package when the illegal substitution occurred.... so I dont' think you can say that at all.

gunns
08-14-2011, 04:42 PM
May I ask why?

He was a pretty hot commodity over the offseason throughout the league

My problem with McCoy starts out personal, in his college years. He was the QB at Utah and he was a mixture of very mediocre Griese, Plummer, and Orton. Which McCoy would show up each week. He was inconsistent as the above 3.

Then he has never been an OC, people say he got career years out of QB's in Carolina. Well, getting career years doesn't always mean great, it can mean they just played better than other years and that's basically what it meant. The QB's play also went south after those career years, with McCoy still there. Carolina's offense was rarely their bread and butter, their defense was usually much better. So there is no real credibility for his time in Carolina. And with McD, we all know he wasn't doing ****.

Maybe it's unfair as he's never shown what he can do but I don't believe the Broncos are in a position to try out a guy. Cleveland and KC, with their offenses, does not make him a hot commodity.

ScottXray
08-14-2011, 04:42 PM
He was in the middle of bringing in a power package when the illegal substitution occurred.... so I dont' think you can say that at all.

He still had three shots from the 6 in, and threw it all three. At least one of those should have been a run to keep the Defense honest ( especially since Dallas did not stop it until then). And Empty backfield? It looked like last year to me, in that they abadoned the run when they got close.

Like I said ...lets hope he looks at the potential for our run game and he doesn't abandon it totally in the red zone. But coaches tend to do the same things they are used to, and comfortable with. And boy did our offense do a lot of passing in close last year ( justifiably ).

Agamemnon
08-14-2011, 04:53 PM

Predicting what playcalling will be like in the regular season (when it's all about winning) based off of preseason (when it's all about assessing players) is silly.

Inkana7
08-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Predicting what playcalling will be like in the regular season (when it's all about winning) based off of preseason (when it's all about assessing players) is silly.

Good thing he's only basing it off of one series from preseason, not the whole game.

broncosteven
08-14-2011, 05:01 PM
I am just glad The Dave is back

DBroncos4life
08-14-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm curious to see what McD saw him in the first place.

ScottXray
08-14-2011, 05:24 PM

The comment was assessing the fact that he made a mistake (IMO) by not running at least once down there. I even said I hope he adapts to the fact that we might actually have a possible run game to use. Finding THAT out ( in the pre-season) is also important, as we basically couldn't run down there last year.

Or maybe you and Inkana meant that he was assessing Ortons ability to complete passes when in the red zone? Of course there is no past game film to assess that. Good point.

LOL

Oh, and I thought that he did a fairly good job the rest of the game with the constant in/out of personnel, and the fact our second string O line sucked balls.

Agamemnon
08-14-2011, 05:32 PM
The comment was assessing the fact that he made a mistake (IMO) by not running at least once down there. I even said I hope he adapts to the fact that we might actually have a possible run game to use. Finding THAT out ( in the pre-season) is also important, as we basically couldn't run down there last year.

Or maybe you and Inkana meant that he was assessing Ortons ability to complete passes when in the red zone? Of course there is no past game film to assess that. Good point.

LOL

Oh, and I thought that he did a fairly good job the rest of the game with the constant in/out of personnel, and the fact our second string O line sucked balls.

So because the film says that Orton struggled in the redzone in a different offense, a coach should just assume that remains true? If it's that matter of fact, the coaches should be shot for even considering starting Orton.

elsid13
08-14-2011, 05:46 PM

Someone that was born in Ohio and didn't bitch about lack of control of the unit he was in charge of???

Swedish Extrovert
08-14-2011, 05:51 PM

He sure sawed him...

Jay3
08-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Wasn't McCoy a QB coach? Isn't he the only coach on our team with experience with QBs?

Yes, and he was a QB. But he is not the QB coach. A guy who never played even in college is. ROFL!

Swedish Extrovert
08-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Yes, and he was a QB. But he is not the QB coach. A guy who never played even in college is. ROFL!

I think we brought in a former WR coach...

Drek
08-14-2011, 06:13 PM

They have the same agent, which is also why Mike Nolan came here.

I'm all for giving McCoy a shot, but the reality is he's incredibly unproven. He's basically had two years of being an "OC" to prep for when he finally gets to run the show and he's had a lot of time working with QBs. So he's plenty qualified at this point. Now he just needs to make it happen.

BMarsh615
08-14-2011, 06:58 PM
What has Mike McCoy done to be ripped by you guys? Last time I checked we actually scored more points with McCoy calling the plays than we did with McD. People in the NFL think highly of him, he got OC offers from the Chiefs and some other team I can't think of...

TheReverend
08-14-2011, 06:59 PM

Purdy lips.

TheReverend
08-14-2011, 07:01 PM
What has Mike McCoy done to be ripped by you guys? Last time I checked we actually scored more points with McCoy calling the plays than we did with McD. People in the NFL think highly of him, he got OC offers from the Chiefs and some other team I can't think of...

Not with Orton we didn't.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010121211/2010/REG14/broncos@cardinals

We got drubbed effing senseless by John Skelton

BMarsh615
08-14-2011, 07:06 PM

That was just one game. There isn't enough of a sample size to hate or love McCoy right now, nobody here can give you the right answer to the OP's question.

All I know is that he has a good reputation in the NFL, Holmgren tried to bring McCoy in for an interview that has to say something.

DBroncos4life
08-14-2011, 07:56 PM

When I think of winning football FO's the Chiefs don't come to mind ever....

TheReverend
08-14-2011, 08:14 PM
That was just one game. There isn't enough of a sample size to hate or love McCoy right now, nobody here can give you the right answer to the OP's question.

One game and it was the only game

All I know is that he has a good reputation in the NFL, Holmgren tried to bring McCoy in for an interview that has to say something.

Holmgren did? He hired an offensive coach in Shurmur and then wouldn't let him pick his own OC?

Weird.

Kaylore
08-14-2011, 09:27 PM
I just hope people aren't expecting Shanahan-level from every OC. That's incredibly unrealistic.

mkporter
08-14-2011, 10:57 PM

FWIW, Orton was obviously hurt against the Cards.

ScottXray
08-15-2011, 01:17 AM

I'm not ripping , just pointing out that the first string redzone offense looked suspiciously like last year. Supposedly we are going to be better, and maybe he was running McDs plays down there last year. Actually there was not much to work with last year, considering the run game and the weakness of the O line. And its a small sample, true.

I'd like to see some new wrinkles, and hopefully we will before PS is out. I'd suppose that if FOX thinks he is passing too much he'll rein it in. Hopefully the good reports about him are true and he is going to be innovative. The second/ third strings played passably well for what you can take from the first PS game, after no real off season. And our run game did fairly well, although there was some fluky stuff happening due to missed assignments and such. Guess we have to wait and see.