PDA

View Full Version : Why are they saying Denver's cash strapped?

EmpireOrange
07-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Is this true? I thought they were under the cap with 21 mil to spare. What am I missing?

Drek
07-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Is this true? I thought they were under the cap with 21 mil to spare. What am I missing?

Not cap strapped, CASH strapped.

Bowlen/the team lacks the cash resources to hand out up front money. That includes escrowing dollars for guaranteed contracts and the like. So how do you sign a Brandon Mebane to a deal similar to Bowen or Coefield when you literally don't have the $12.5M up front to honor your end of the deal?

The more important question is how that happens when we're solidly upper middle class by NFL team revenue standards, yet are constantly in the bottom tier for real cash spent per season. Cash in v. cash out for this team is a pretty big ****ing delta, yet its disappearing somewhere season after season.

bowtown
07-29-2011, 08:21 AM

Is this question from your inside sources?

Crushaholic
07-29-2011, 08:22 AM
The "cash strapped" theory is the only justification I have of them trying to get rid of Orton and his big contract. I'd be interested in hearing the truth, myself...

EmpireOrange
07-29-2011, 08:24 AM

Bowlen/the team lacks the cash resources to hand out up front money. That includes escrowing dollars for guaranteed contracts and the like. So how do you sign a Brandon Mebane to a deal similar to Bowen or Coefield when you literally don't have the $12.5M up front to honor your end of the deal?

The more important question is how that happens when we're solidly upper middle class by NFL team revenue standards, yet are constantly in the bottom tier for real cash spent per season. Cash in v. cash out for this team is a pretty big ****ing delta, yet its disappearing somewhere season after season.

I'm troubled by that. But ok that being true, how would cutting or trading Orton off the books help?

EmpireOrange
07-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Is this question from your inside sources?

No, insider souces are in the scouting side. Not business. Would like to see if I could get a hold of the Bronco's balance sheet though. Stay tuned...

montrose
07-29-2011, 08:25 AM
I can't wait for SoCal to see this thread and destroy Bowlen. lol

bendog
07-29-2011, 08:27 AM
I can't find anything about this on the web, but maybe it's there.

CEH
07-29-2011, 08:27 AM

Just my guess but Bowlen's only revenue stream is the Broncos , he has no other outside revenue stream and he has a personal debt for the new stadium and his luxary boxes are not selling

SoCalBronco
07-29-2011, 08:28 AM
I can't wait for SoCal to see this thread and destroy Bowlen. lol

Dude...I was posting tons last night around midnight about this. Now that people like Mortenson and others around the league are confirming it, its definitely vindication. People need to ****ing trash Bowlen in the press and fans need to revolt against him. Your whole empire is going to ****ing crumble old man unless you make a real commitment to the fans. ****ing bring him to his knees. Is he too stupid to realize that the vast majority of casual fans aren't going to watch this ****? It's a garbage product. Only us hardcores will watch and only grudgingly and unhappily. He's going to lose a ton more money by being a cheap piece of **** than if he at least tried.

I'm glad the fanbase is starting to turn against him. He needs to get utterly humiliated. I want to see him totally ****ing humiliated.

Gutless Drunk
07-29-2011, 08:30 AM
"The day that I can't be competitive in this business, which is just over the horizon without a new stadium, then why would I want to be in the business?'' Bowlen recently told The Denver Post ""A new stadium would keep the team competitive within the league and keep the Broncos in Denver."

Beantown Bronco
07-29-2011, 08:31 AM
If cutting a starting WR who was performing well on and off the field to supposedly save $2 mil wasn't a sign that cash was an issue, then I don't know what is.

EmpireOrange
07-29-2011, 08:32 AM
I can't find anything about this on the web, but maybe it's there.

Mortenson said it on Mike and Mike, Schlereth has said it a couple time too. The Miami Herold has been reporting for days that Denver has two options: 1) take a low ball offer, or 2) cut Orton because of money contraints - which is illogical because if the latter were true, why the hell would someone offer anything? Why not wait for the cut.

24champ
07-29-2011, 08:34 AM
Just my guess but Bowlen's only revenue stream is the Broncos , he has no other outside revenue stream and he has a personal debt for the new stadium and his luxary boxes are not selling

Either that or Bowlen made some bad financial decisions outside of the Broncos.

eddie mac
07-29-2011, 08:35 AM
If cutting a starting WR who was performing well on and off the field to supposedly save $2 mil wasn't a sign that cash was an issue, then I don't know what is.

That doesn't even save up front money. Gaffney's pay is divided into 20 weeks or so and paid over the course of the pre-season/season???

EmpireOrange
07-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Oh wow, if this is all true. There's no question, Tebow is starting for sure. He sells better than Orton. Wow, Denver may be closer to becoming the Bungles than I realized.

WolfpackGuy
07-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Mortenson said it on Mike and Mike, Schlereth has said it a couple time too. The Miami Herold has been reporting for days that Denver has two options: 1) take a low ball offer, or 2) cut Orton because of money contraints - which is illogical because if the latter were true, why the hell would someone offer anything? Why not wait for the cut.

Same thing I asked about 2 seconds after McClueless traded for Brady *uckin Quinn!

Pony Boy
07-29-2011, 08:40 AM
Bowlen has 2 Lombardi trophies, one for him and one for John and it's time for him to spend the cash and get one for the fans.

bendog
07-29-2011, 08:40 AM
your dislike of bowlen .... (directed at socal)

Anyway the herald is saying den is out of CAP SPACE for orton, not CASH

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/29/2336011/dolphins-pursuit-of-qb-orton-is.html

What probably is true is that because of Bowlen's stadium debt and failure to field a product that gets people into club seats, as well as horrible personnel decions by Shanny backloading stuff, and then paying off TWO fired coaches, Den doesn't have the cash other teams have .... the broncos do have low operating income compared to other teams.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/30/football-valuations-10_NFL-Team-Valuations_Income.html

And there was no doubt that Den intentionally had one of the lowest nfl payrolls last year because of depleted bank accounts.

Drek
07-29-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm troubled by that. But ok that being true, how would cutting or trading Orton off the books help?

He's got $4M of his $8M cap number guaranteed if he's not cut within five days of the new league year for starters, so basically if we don't cut him some time next week we're cutting him a check for 2/3rds of what Barry Cofield's annual salary is in Washington, equivalent to 1/3rd of the entire contractual guarantee Cofield got.

BroncosMT
07-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Oh wow, if this is all true. There's no question, Tebow is starting for sure. He sells better than Orton. Wow, Denver may be closer to becoming the Bungles than I realized.

This may be unfortunately true

Drek
07-29-2011, 08:56 AM
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/30/football-valuations-10_NFL-Team-Valuations_Income.html

This link underscores my point perfectly.

Revenue = $250M. That is higher than every team below us in operating income and higher than 14 teams above us. In other words the Broncos produce more revenue than 24 of the 31 other NFL teams. Yet our operating income is 22nd in the league. And these numbers are before we fired Shanahan and McDaniels, opting to pay two HCs to not work for us so there isn't some hidden expense related to that here. 17 teams have more debt as a percentage of value than the Broncos, 4 others are tied, and the Broncos are ranked the 10th most valuable franchise. Therefore it can't be some massive mountain of stadium or organization related debt to explain this away.

Fact of the matter is that the Broncos, as a business, are being ran like dog ****. A lot of cash is coming in and then disappearing before what's left trickles out the other side.

EmpireOrange
07-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Anyway the herald is saying den is out of CAP SPACE for orton, not CASH

Yeah I was getting the two confused because its hard for me to think of the Denver Broncos low in operating capital. Its beyond comprehention to me. Native Denverite, and only been removed from the city 2006, I remember the vibe and support the Broncos have. There are very few pro cities to match what the Broncos have (or had). Its a serious fall from grace for THIS franchise to be cashless. Dodgeresque even.

Pony Boy
07-29-2011, 08:59 AM

Revenue = $250M. That is higher than every team below us in operating income and higher than 14 teams above us. In other words the Broncos produce more revenue than 24 of the 31 other NFL teams. Yet our operating income is 22nd in the league. And these numbers are before we fired Shanahan and McDaniels, opting to pay two HCs to not work for us so there isn't some hidden expense related to that here. 17 teams have more debt as a percentage of value than the Broncos, 4 others are tied, and the Broncos are ranked the 10th most valuable franchise. Therefore it can't be some massive mountain of stadium or organization related debt to explain this away.

Fact of the matter is that the Broncos, as a business, are being ran like dog ****. A lot of cash is coming in and then disappearing before what's left trickles out the other side.

24champ
07-29-2011, 09:02 AM

Sounds like a POS Owner I know...

http://images.covers.com/editorial/2011/383x165/frank_mccourt051111.jpg

Gutless Drunk
07-29-2011, 09:12 AM

"You know it's hard out here for a pimp
When he tryin to get this money for the rent
For the Cadillacs and gas money spent
Because a whole lot of b****es talkin ****

You know it's hard out here for a pimp
When he tryin to get this money for the rent
For the Cadillacs and gas money spent
Will have a whole lot of b****es jumpin ship"

mkporter
07-29-2011, 09:19 AM
The "cash strapped" theory is the only justification I have of them trying to get rid of Orton and his big contract. I'd be interested in hearing the truth, myself...

Nope. Denver has to spend the money one way or another to achieve the salary floor. Being "cash strapped" is only an issue if you have to put out cash today that doesn't count against your cap until later, ie signing bonuses.