PDA

View Full Version : Orton to Miami negotiations have begun

Pages : 1 [2]

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm just guessing....then again, a lot of these guys only care about the green bills with dead presidents on them

Honestly, we follow the team closer than your average fan....and we know very little about what kind of schemes we are throwing out there next year and what kind of a team we are going to be

I can't imagine NFL players from other teams knowing ANYTHING about our franchise right now....they just saw the record and know we have Tebow. We've lost that appeal we used to have for a lot of free agents, in my opinion.

But those 2 extra wins, gross city and John Beck have people lining up in Washington, eh?

Hercules Rockefeller
07-28-2011, 09:05 AM
So if you're saying we were neither outbid, nor outworked, then what exactly would you attribute it to each time a FA target signs elsewhere?

I'm excited for your answer.

Really?

Your definition of not being outworked- being efficient
-but you have no clue what's happening behind the scenes. You don't know what Bronco official talked to x player or x's player agent how many times to know if they were actually putting the work in like you hope they are.

Outbid- again, there isn't a single person on this board who knows what any offer was for any free agent. Until someone can post what an actual offer was, you have no idea if they were outbid at all.

Until someone can actually provide some real information about what's gone on between the Broncos and any free agent, people need to unwad their ****ing panties.

Rabb
LaCanfora saying right now we're financially "tight"

like, "man these guys have their finances tight!" or "man, what a tight ass"

?

CEH
LaCanfora saying right now we're financially "tight"

That's what I've been saying. All things are not equal between teams
Orton needs to restructure and/or get traded

Hercules Rockefeller
07-28-2011, 09:07 AM
It's common sense that if a guy enters free agency and doesn't take a hometown discount or go to the SB favorite, then he most likely went to the highest bidder.

Has anyone so far signed a low hometown discount deal yet, that we were targeting?

No it's not. An example would be PFT reported this morning that there's been mutual interest between the Skins and Jenkins since even before the lockout.

But let me know when you get some hard numbers on what the Broncos offered anyone.

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Really?

Your definition of not being outworked- being efficient
-but you have no clue what's happening behind the scenes. You don't know what Bronco official talked to x player or x's player agent how many times to know if they were actually putting the work in like you hope they are.

Outbid- again, there isn't a single person on this board who knows what any offer was for any free agent. Until someone can post what an actual offer was, you have no idea if they were outbid at all.

Until someone can actually provide some real information about what's gone on between the Broncos and any free agent, people need to unwad their ****ing panties.

Yeah, like I've said... multiple times... we're either getting outbid or outworked. Period. And the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

There isn't an excuse for this, but I'm glad you're pleased with the current talent level on the roster.

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 09:09 AM

Common sense and deduction.

The only real reasons to take less money = hometown discount or going to proven winner. Not a single FA that the Broncos have supposedly targeted to this point fit in either category.

maher_tyler
07-28-2011, 09:15 AM
If you were expecting us to sign a ton of people, you are probably going to be disappointed. The only big splash I expected us to make was at DT. If we miss out on Mebane, I will be unhappy like everyone else. Other than that, I think we will look at a CB or two, perhaps Rashard Marshall who Fox coached in Carolina. We drafted LBs and safeties high in the draft, so I don't see us making a move there. We are basically set with the starters at DE, though we need a depth guy or two. On offense, the OL is basically set (for the season at least), WR is set, we may bring in Delhomme at QB if Orton is traded...otherwise we are set there for now. We aren't getting a big name RB, which I think is good because teams find quality cost-effective production at the position every year. It'll probably be Moreno and someone like McGahee. Not ideal, but you can't expect a team with our needs to hit everything in one year. At TE, we drafted a couple of guys, but we certainly need a vet to help out. Miller and Lewis are available, but I don't we will sink a lot of money into that position and give the youngsters a chance to develop. In any case, what exactly were you expecting? A frenzy? If we sign Mebane and Marshall, that was pretty much all I was expecting in the way of big names. The rest of our FA signing will be depth guys. That was my anticipation all along. If you expected more, I'm not sure why. Elway has said all along he plans to build through the draft. This thing is a two or three year project. We aren't going to throw around money for short-term fixes.

I was thinking we'd sign a DT or 2..a RB and a vet TE...that and the trading of Orton, other than that, wasn't expecting much.

BroncoInferno
07-28-2011, 09:19 AM
The only real reasons to take less money = hometown discount or going to proven winner.

No, those are not the only two reasons. Maybe Cofield, for instance, had a preference for living on the East Coast. Perhaps he has family nearby. Maybe he grew up a Redskins fan. Maybe there is a member of the Redskins coaching staff who he's close with and was able to influence his decision. Maybe he fell in love with the Redskins facilities. None of that may be true, but I'm just saying...there are all kinds of personal reasons outside of money that could play a factor in an individuals decision-making.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-28-2011, 09:20 AM
No, those are not the only two reasons. Maybe Cofield, for instance, had a preference for living on the East Coast. Perhaps he has family nearby. Maybe he grew up a Redskins fan. None of that may be true, but I'm just saying...there are all kinds of personal reasons outside of money that could play a factor in an individuals decision-making.

No, they're clearly mercenaries and who ever gives them the biggest number with the most 0's is where they'll sign.

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 09:25 AM
No, those are not the only two reasons. Maybe Cofield, for instance, had a preference for living on the East Coast. Perhaps he has family nearby.

I include such things as family, following a coach, etc. in the "hometown discount" umbrella. I don't limit it to staying with the same team because, like the Broncos, the coaches and all could change every year and it might not be the same "team".

Again, I'm asking for examples of the above. Name one target of ours that has taken such a hometown discount.

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 09:26 AM
No, they're clearly mercenaries and who ever gives them the biggest number with the most 0's is where they'll sign.

Not one person here has ever said that, but the drama queen act is appreciated.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Not one person here has ever said that, but the drama queen act is appreciated.

Yep, I'm being the drama queen here for pointing out how stupid people are for freaking out that the Broncos haven't signed anyone on Day 2 of FA.

bendog
07-28-2011, 09:31 AM
This is worse than when your wife has a baby ..... well, actually it's not.

BroncoInferno
07-28-2011, 09:33 AM
I include such things as family, following a coach, etc. in the "hometown discount" umbrella. I don't limit it to staying with the same team because, like the Broncos, the coaches and all could change every year and it might not be the same "team".

Again, I'm asking for examples of the above. Name one target of ours that has taken such a hometown discount.

How do you know that Cofield and Jenkins didn't sign with us because we didn't offer enough money or got "outworked?" I'm not making any positive claim....you are. He who asserts must prove. I am merely suggesting that there could be other personal reasons that played into their decisions other than money or a lack of effort on the part of the Broncos front office.

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Yep, I'm being the drama queen here for pointing out how stupid people are for freaking out that the Broncos haven't signed anyone on Day 2 of FA.

For the 1,000th time....day 2 of FA this year is the equivalent of month 2 or 3 of FA in a normal year. Look at it this way, when was the last time the Broncos hadn't signed a single FA prior to their August camp opening up? There's no time to mess around this year. Every day they miss is one less day learning our system and they only have a few weeks to do it.

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 09:37 AM
How do you know that Cofield and Jenkins didn't sign with us because we didn't offer enough money or got "outworked?" I'm not making any positive claim....you are. He who asserts must prove. I am merely suggesting that there could be other personal reasons that played into their decisions other than money or a lack of effort on the part of the Broncos front office.

There comes a time when you don't need to have the actual proposals right in front of your face. Like I said before, it's common sense and logic. If you don't have it, then I can't give it to you.

theAPAOps5
07-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Loud noises!

jhns
07-28-2011, 09:38 AM
For the 1,000th time....day 2 of FA this year is the equivalent of month 2 or 3 of FA in a normal year. Look at it this way, when was the last time the Broncos hadn't signed a single FA prior to their August camp opening up? There's no time to mess around this year. Every day they miss is one less day learning our system and they only have a few weeks to do it.

There have not been two months worth of FAs signed yet. There are tons still out there.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-28-2011, 09:39 AM

No, it's not as much as you wish it was in this "debate".

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2ffa

Check the FA tracker at ESPN.com to see who has signed and where they have signed. There more than a handful of teams that have not signed anyone yet and the majority of free agents have not signed yet either.

People need to calm the **** down. The Broncos aren't the only team out there that hasn't signed anyone yet and every team is in the same situation that they need to get people signed and into camp.

CEH
07-28-2011, 09:39 AM

They also have to sign rookies, cut players, rework contracts all in these first few days . The flurry of FA will open on Friday just watch

Cito Pelon
07-28-2011, 09:42 AM

There's a lot of money being thrown at FA's to get them signed fast. You tell me if that's a great idea. I don't know. Whatever the FO thinks is best is fine with me, I just roll with it.

BroncoInferno
07-28-2011, 09:43 AM
There comes a time when you don't need to have the actual proposals right in front of your face. Like I said before, it's common sense and logic. If you don't have it, then I can't give it to you.

No, it isn't common sense or logic, unless you can prove that there were no personal reasons for Jenkins or Cofield (or whomever) choosing to sign with another team. I only gave a few examples. There are many reasons an individual might pass up more money at one job in favor of another. Hell, that goes for any walk of life, not just football.

ColoradoDarin
07-28-2011, 09:45 AM
I don't see how this is much different than the normal FA period. There's always a flurry of activity right at the open (tampering anyone?) and then a lull. It's also combined with rookie signings, which normally don't happen until the final week before camp anyways, but with the new CBA, there isn't too much to negotiate with rookies.

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 09:45 AM
There have not been two months worth of FAs signed yet. There are tons still out there.

No, it's not as much as you wish it was in this "debate".

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2ffa

Check the FA tracker at ESPN.com to see who has signed and where they have signed. There more than a handful of teams that have not signed anyone yet and the majority of free agents have not signed yet either.

People need to calm the **** down. The Broncos aren't the team out there that haven't signed anyone yet and every team is in the same situation that they need to get people signed and into camp.

There's a huge difference between "all unsigned FAs" and "unsigned FAs at positions of need that the Broncos have shown interest in, but failed to sign."

Hercules Rockefeller
07-28-2011, 09:46 AM
There's a huge difference between "all unsigned FAs" and "unsigned FAs at positions of need that the Broncos have shown interest in, but failed to sign."

So other teams who haven't made any moves yet don't have positions of need that they need to fill?

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 09:49 AM
No, it isn't common sense or logic, unless you can prove that there were no personal reasons for Jenkins or Cofield (or whomever) choosing to sign with another team. I only gave a few examples. There are many reasons an individual might pass up more money at one job in favor of another. Hell, that goes for any walk of life, not just football.

None of these guys have gone to the "winners" camp of NE, Pitts, Indy, GB, etc.
None of these guys have gone to nice weather places.
None of these guys have followed position coaches.
None of these guys have gone to cities where they grew up.
None of these guys have stayed with their current teams and taken discounted contracts (unless you think Deangelo was offered more than that ridiculous contract he signed)

jhns
07-28-2011, 09:49 AM

How many have they failed to sign, and how would you know the list of guys they are after? Reporters aren't exactly in the know. They get little nuggets. Mebane hasn't signed anywhere. There are a lot of really good defensive FAs that don't have any reports out about them yet. Take Ruud as an example. Very good LB. The only report I have found on ESPN is that TB probably isn't signing him. There aren't any reports of other teams wanting him. I will guarantee that multiple teams want him.

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 09:51 AM
So other teams who haven't made any moves yet don't have positions of need that they need to fill?

They are equally inept. But they don't concern me.

All I'm saying is that, given all the craziness this lockout brought, they have a chance to improve the team in a way never before available. And, so far, they haven't.

oubronco
07-28-2011, 10:02 AM
They are equally inept. But they don't concern me.

All I'm saying is that, given all the craziness this lockout brought, they have a chance to improve the team in a way never before available. And, so far, they haven't.

I agree with this

CEH
07-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Interesting two players I had Denver selecting in the last two drafts pushed Cofield out of NYG. Marvin Autsin and Linval Joesph. Gotta love how NYG builds a DLine

yerner
07-28-2011, 10:03 AM
For what it's worth, Cofield was on a local radio show here this morning and said he told his agent to keep him in the NFC East. Don't think the Broncos had a shot at him. Either way, free agents are generally overvalued and overpaid. Got to be calm and build through the draft.

ColoradoDarin
07-28-2011, 10:06 AM
For what it's worth, Cofield was on a local radio show here this morning and said he told his agent to keep him in the NFC East. Don't think the Broncos had a shot at him. Either way, free agents are generally overvalued and overpaid. Got to be calm and build through the draft.

Facts! How do they work?

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Got to be calm and build through the draft.

Exactly. But there is this small, tiny, little matter of not having drafted a DT for a few years now. And we only have one on the roster that can play. So we literally NEED to address DT in FA. It's not an option.

CEH
07-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Exactly. But there is this small, tiny, little matter of not having drafted a DT for a few years now. And we only have one on the roster that can play. So we literally NEED to address DT in FA. It's not an option.

Dewayne Robertson is available

BroncoInferno
None of these guys have gone to the "winners" camp of NE, Pitts, Indy, GB, etc.
None of these guys have gone to nice weather places.
None of these guys have followed position coaches.
None of these guys have gone to cities where they grew up.
None of these guys have stayed with their current teams and taken discounted contracts (unless you think Deangelo was offered more than that ridiculous contract he signed)

Dude, there are literally dozens of reasons an individual might not accept a job in a given city. Just think if you had the chance to take a job anywhere you wanted. Maybe you don't want to live in California because it's too liberal, or Kansas because it's too conservative. Maybe it snows too much in Denver, or you don't like the mountains. Maybe you don't want to go to New York because it's too far east, or too crowded. I could go on and on. Seriously, you don't have a clue why any of these people didn't sign with Denver, and you aren't being "logical" by pretending you do.

EDIT: Someone just posted that Cofield told his agent to keep him in the NFC East. Last time I checked, Denver was not in the NFC East.

Lestat
facts don't matter when internet message boards are involved.
it's only what the fans perceive that matters.
Facts! How do they work?

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Dude, there are literally dozens of reasons an individual might not accept a job in a given city. Just think if you had the chance to take a job anywhere you wanted.

Stop comparing this to the real world where there are hundreds more variables. This is the NFL. He has a choice of ONLY 30 cities if he wants a change of scenery. I'd have a choice of thousands.

And pretty much every variable you brought up in the rest of your post goes against one choosing Washington DC over all others, yet they have no trouble signing FAs. I wonder why?

BroncoInferno
07-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Stop comparing this to the real world where there are hundreds more variables. This is the NFL. He has a choice of ONLY 30 cities if he wants a change of scenery. I'd have a choice of thousands.

30 is still a lot. How do you know Cullen Jenkins isn't signing with Washington simply because he doesn't want to move out west (for one example)? You don't have a clue one way or another.

And pretty much every variable you brought up in the rest of your post goes against one choosing Washington DC over all others, yet they have no trouble signing FAs. I wonder why?

Cofield said he told his agent to keep him in the NFC East. There is a variable you obviously did not consider. Anyway, the examples I gave weren't intended as a definitive list. Just pointing out that there are many, MANY things a player may take into account when choosing a team that doesn't have anything to do with money.

bendog
07-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Hysterical. I forgot how funny these threads were. I was up at 3 a.m. this morning and am too tired to take much of anything seriously, and that makes this place easier to read.

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Cofield said he told his agent to keep him in the NFC East. There is a variable you obviously did not consider.

No, it's not that I didn't consider that variable. It's that I don't believe him. What if he didn't get an offer from an NFC East team? Would he retire? Sorry. No way.

Here's what common sense says: he told his agent, if I have two similar offers, one from an NFC East team and one from any other team, I choose to stay in the NFC East. If some team from outside the division offered him significantly more money than the other NFC East team or if no NFC East team made an offer at all, I think we all know what he'd do.

theAPAOps5
07-28-2011, 10:24 AM
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv283/bird_man_4/brick-loud-noises-b.jpg

ColoradoDarin
07-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Has someone informed Dan Snyder that there *is* a cap this year?

Schefter - Redskins reached agreement with former Cowboys DE Stephen Bowen on a 5-year, $27.5 million deal that includes $12.5 million in guarantees.

snowspot66
07-28-2011, 10:25 AM

Schefter - Redskins reached agreement with former Cowboys DE Stephen Bowen on a 5-year, $27.5 million deal that includes $12.5 million in guarantees.

When has he not tried to buy himself a championship? It will fail like it always does.

ColoradoDarin
07-28-2011, 10:27 AM
When has he not tried to buy himself a championship? It will fail like it always does.

That is true as well. They must be backloading these contracts like a HAM.

BroncoInferno
07-28-2011, 10:29 AM
No, it's not that I didn't consider that variable. It's that I don't believe him. What if he didn't get an offer from an NFC East team? Would he retire? Sorry. No way.

Here's what common sense says: he told his agent, if I have two similar offers, one from an NFC East team and one from any other team, I choose to stay in the NFC East. If some team from outside the division offered him significantly more money than the other NFC East team or if no NFC East team made an offer at all, I think we all know what he'd do.

LOL So, one of the players in question makes a statement the proves you dead wrong, but you just don't believe it. Whatever. Continue the hand-wringing.

zdoor
07-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Bowen just signed with the Redskins....

bendog
07-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Shanny is gonna so screw that team. Lol. I do sorta feel for the fans though.

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 10:31 AM
LOL So, one of the players in question makes a statement the proves you dead wrong, but you just don't believe it. Whatever. Continue the hand-wringing.

So, if the Skins didn't make him an offer, he'd retire? That's what you're going with?

theAPAOps5
07-28-2011, 10:32 AM

He also is about to unload a ton of cap with Fat Albert. Also from what I read teams can sign above the cap this week and then trim down by next week. So more cuts and/or restructuring will happen over the weekend for many teams.

BroncoInferno
07-28-2011, 10:36 AM
So, if the Skins didn't make him an offer, he'd retire? That's what you're going with?

I am sure there was the qualifier "if an NFC East team is interested." But, there was an NFC East interested. So, as far as this debate is concerned, we can safely say that Denver did not lose out on Cofield because of money or because our front office was "outworked."

theAPAOps5
07-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Per Lindsay Jones Orton talking about trade as if it were past tense:

PostBroncos (http://twitter.com/#%21/PostBroncos) Lindsay Jones

On yesterday's trade speculation, Orton said: "I'm not worried about it. What's in the past is in the pastm"

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 10:43 AM

Google "Cofield" and "Saints". Odd that he was more than willing to sign with them, but they just couldn't meet his contract demands. When did they move to the NFC East?

BroncoInferno
07-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Google "Cofield" and "Saints". Odd that he was more than willing to sign with them, but they just couldn't meet his contract demands. When did they move to the NFC East?

An agent is still going to do his job. Just because he negotiated with New Orleans does not mean it was necessarily any thing more than a tactic to get more money from Washington. I mean, sure, if New Orleans offered him something crazy over what Washington gave him, he'd have probably signed with them. Is that what we should have done? Offered, say, $10 million more than Washington or something crazy like that?

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I mean, sure, if New Orleans offered him something crazy over what Washington gave him, he'd have probably signed with them. Is that what we should have done? Offered, say, $10 million more than Washington or something crazy like that?

My entire point from post no. 1. Eventually, for 99% of NFL players, you get to a point where money trumps any other factor. Never once did I say it was the smart thing for a team to do, just that it is something that some teams do.

BroncosMT
07-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Per Lindsay Jones Orton talking about trade as if it were past tense:

PostBroncos (http://twitter.com/#%21/PostBroncos) Lindsay Jones

On yesterday's trade speculation, Orton said: "I'm not worried about it. What's in the past is in the pastm"

I have a feeling that it will die down soon. Not sure Miami will pull the trigger....if not I think we will have a small mess.....but time will tell. Hopefully just posturing

BroncoInferno
07-28-2011, 10:58 AM
My entire point from post no. 1. Eventually, for 99% of NFL players, you get to a point where money trumps any other factor. Never once did I say it was the smart thing for a team to do, just that it is something that some teams do.

Well, sure, if one team is offering WAY more money than anyone else. Should Denver have done that in order to trump Washington, who had the advantage of playing in the NFC East, Cofield's preferred landing spot? If not, then what are you complaining about?

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 11:03 AM
then what are you complaining about?

What appears to be a lack of urgency. I don't care about them missing out on one guy. I care about them missing out on an entire level of talent. We have a huge amount of money to spend and lot's of very good young talent available at DT. That NEVER happens in a normal year. For once, just once, I don't want them to go the bargain bin route. And yet, that appears to be the way things are headed......yet again.

Rabb
07-28-2011, 11:05 AM
I have a feeling that it will die down soon. Not sure Miami will pull the trigger....if not I think we will have a small mess.....but time will tell. Hopefully just posturing

yeah, I cannot imagine this is going according to plan right now

Pseudofool
07-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Shefter on ESPN: Dolphins offering 4th or 5th, Denver wants 1st or 2nd. It's a staredown. Elway willing to keep Orton.

BroncoInferno
07-28-2011, 11:07 AM
What appears to be a lack of urgency. I don't care about them missing out on one guy. I care about them missing out on an entire level of talent. We have a huge amount of money to spend and lot's of very good young talent available at DT. That NEVER happens in a normal year. For once, just once, I don't want them to go the bargain bin route. And yet, that appears to be the way things are headed......yet again.

I guess my issue is I don't see how you can know that there hasn't been urgency. Does failure to sign a given player always come down to lack of effort or being cheapskates? I don't think it does. That MAY be the case here, but there is no way to conclude that yet, IMHO.

razorwire77
Denver has lost a lot of leverage to move Orton. Miami knows we need him off of the books and they're basically the only team left. My guess is Denver wants a 2nd, Miami offered a 4th, and ultimately they'll settle on a 3rd, or maybe a 4th and a 5th.

snowspot66
Shefter on ESPN: Dolphins offering 4th or 5th, Denver wants 1st or 2nd. It's a staredown. Elway willing to keep Orton.

What the **** I thought this was a contract issue. God damnit just trade the ****er already.

BroncoInferno
07-28-2011, 11:09 AM

If a 4th or 5th is all they are offering, I don't mind Elway sticking to his guns. But if they up the offer a 3rd, he HAS to blink.

Rabb
07-28-2011, 11:12 AM

wonderful

again, I have no big issue with Orton....but God help us all if Tebow beats him out because he won't be a happy panda on the bench

I just want to kick McDaniels in the god damn teeth right now

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 11:16 AM
God help us all if Tebow beats him out because he won't be a happy panda on the bench

$8 mil for sitting on the bench, hungover....I could think of worse ways to spend a fall. :)

Rabb
07-28-2011, 11:17 AM
$8 mil for sitting on the bench, hungover....I could think of worse ways to spend a fall. :)

^5

StugotsIII
07-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Denver has lost a lot of leverage to move Orton. Miami knows we need him off of the books and they're basically the only team left. My guess is Denver wants a 2nd, Miami offered a 4th, and ultimately they'll settle on a 3rd, or maybe a 4th and a 5th.

Epic fail.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-28-2011, 11:19 AM

Inevitably though, Tebow Christ is going to try and take on a linebacker at full speed, and Orton's going to have to take his hungover ass back on the field.

razorwire77
07-28-2011, 11:19 AM
There is no way Denver is getting a 1st or 2nd for Kyle. Everyone in the league knows that. If I'm Elway and Xanders, I'm blowing up Arizona's pager right now. Why give up DRC, a 2nd and 25 million guaranteed for Kolb, when you can have Orton for a 3rd and a lot less money? The only way the Broncos are getting more than a cup of coffee for Orton right now is if they can bring Arizona back into the fold.

jhns
07-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Inevitably though, Tebow Christ is going to try and take on a linebacker at full speed, and Orton's going to have to take his hungover ass back on the field.

You didn't finish... "and then hurt both ankles, his hip, colon, and arm for yhe fifth year in a row so we are left with Quinn."

WolfpackGuy
07-28-2011, 11:23 AM
I would be ecstatic with a 3rd.

Just trade his sorry ass already before he trips over his own feet and gets hurt.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-28-2011, 11:24 AM
You didn't finish... "and then hurt both ankles, his hip, colon, and arm for yhe fifth year in a row so we are left with Quinn."

Don't recall him hurting his hip, colon or arm, so I guess you're just full of ****.

Surprised, I am not.

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 11:25 AM

And I want a blowjob from Kate Beckinsale and Scarlett Johannson at the same time!

That must be a "stare down" too.

cutthemdown
07-28-2011, 11:26 AM

I think he should. Play hardball and show the gms of the league Broncos won't be pushed around. If he's only worth a 4th or 5th, then why would Miami even want him? He's worth a 3rd, that could become a 2nd if he starts alot of games. Otherwise Broncos should just bite the bullet and hope Chad Henne gets blow up in preseason, or John Beck in DC. A couple injuries at the right spots and Orton could still be moved b4 trading deadline hits.

Lycan
And I want a blowjob from Kate Beckinsale and Scarlett Johannson at the same time!

That must be a "stare down" too.

Actually I think they call that a "restraining order".

ward63
Can we blame McD for Orton's contract as well?

WolfpackGuy
07-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Kate Beckinsale and Scarlett Johannson

Nom, nom, nom

Dagmar
07-28-2011, 11:31 AM
This has all gone to ****. Get him and his big ass contract gone for a 4th or a player and a conditional. Imagine Orton leads us out for Monday night football vs the Raiders?? That stadium will be flat.

jhns
07-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Can we blame McD for Orton's contract as well?

Of course, as it was his fault. Not that it matters if it was his fault. Everything bad can, and should, be blamed on him.

razorwire77
07-28-2011, 11:39 AM
This has all gone to ****. Get him and his big ass contract gone for a 4th or a player and a conditional. Imagine Orton leads us out for Monday night football vs the Raiders?? That stadium will be flat.

In the end, that's what is going to happen. Denver needs to work out a deal with Miami, in which the Fins now hold all the leverage or they are fooked. Basically, fire sale Orton or cut him to free up space. Miami knows this. On a team with the holes that Denver has, keeping an 8 million dollar backup QB isn't going to happen and Orton isn't going to restructure.

Bottom line, is if we have any chance of signing Mebane, or any other DT Orton's contract needs to be gone five minutes ago.

EmpireOrange
07-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Game of chicken is being played here. No way Mr. Elway takes a 4th or 5th for Orton. If they want to play that way, put his statue ass in the line up, move on, and let the Dolphins get fish-fried in the AFC-East. 4th or 5th, that's just dumb.

Rabb
07-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Bottom line, is if we have any chance of signing Mebane, or any other DT Orton's contract needs to be gone five minutes ago.

sorry, but I don't buy that

TonyR
07-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Just remember that Miami needs Orton as much or more than the Broncos need to get rid of him. Absolutely no reason to give in to them.

Rabb
Game of chicken is being played here. No way Mr. Elway takes a 4th or 5th for Orton. If they want to play that way, put his statue ass in the line up, move on, and let the Dolphins get fish-fried in the AFC-East. 4th or 5th, that's just dumb.

is that what your insider sources say?

DBroncos4life
In the end, that's what is going to happen. Denver needs to work out a deal with Miami, in which the Fins now hold all the leverage or they are fooked. Basically, fire sale Orton or cut him to free up space. Miami knows this. On a team with the holes that Denver has, keeping an 8 million dollar backup QB isn't going to happen and Orton isn't going to restructure.

No it doesn't and the Phins don't hold crap.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98964

yerner
07-28-2011, 11:45 AM

No, I agree. He wouldn't have retired. He was just flapping his gums for the most part in a tiny soundbyte.

EmpireOrange
07-28-2011, 11:47 AM
is that what your insider sources say?

Yes.

Dagmar
07-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Clayton reporting the Kolb trade is now done. This staring contest with Miami needs to stop NOW.

razorwire77
07-28-2011, 11:49 AM
No it doesn't and the Phins don't hold crap.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98964

Umm yeah it does. If Denver is serious about Mebane they are going to get into a huge bidding war with Seattle to sign him. And at the very least, we also need to sign additional DT's as rotational help. We also need a quality free agent RB to sign, and we probably need a 2nd/3rd CB to replace Cox. That doesn't include signing veteran depth at other positions where Denver is thin. Even with the improved cap news, this team is in no position to sit on an 8 million dollar contract.

BroncoInferno
07-28-2011, 11:51 AM
In the end, that's what is going to happen. Denver needs to work out a deal with Miami, in which the Fins now hold all the leverage

No, they don't. With Kolb going to Arizona, the Dolphins are faced with going into the season with Henne, who they know sucks. Orton is their only option for an upgrade. That gives us some leverage.

EmpireOrange
07-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Clayton reporting the Kolb trade is now done. This staring contest with Miami needs to stop NOW.

I don't believe Clayton. When Schefter calls it, I'll say it's done. Btw, Arizona is gettting screwed in that deal.

Rabb
07-28-2011, 11:52 AM
No, they don't. With Kolb going to Arizona, the Dolphins are faced with going into the season with Henne, who they know sucks. Orton is their only option for an upgrade. That gives us some leverage.

unfortunately, Miami also knows they are our only option as well

the staredown continues

BroncoInferno
Umm yeah it does. If Denver is serious about Mebane they are going to get into a huge bidding war with Seattle to sign him. And at the very least, we also need to sign additional DT's as rotational help. We also need a quality free agent RB to sign, and we probably need a 2nd/3rd CB to replace Cox. That doesn't include signing veteran depth at other positions where Denver is thin. Even with the improved cap news, this team is in no position to sit on an 8 million dollar contract.

We are $20 million under the cap. We don't need to clear off Orton's salary in order to get Mebane or a number of other FAs.

Dagmar
No surprise here. Kolb goes to Ariz for DRC and a No. 2, according to sources

For a guy with a losing record as a starter. 63 million contract, 20 mill guaranteed.

This guy has a good agent.

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 11:54 AM
On the Kyle Orton front, Orton is on the practice field taking No. 1 snaps _ for the Broncos not Dolphins.

John Clayton

BroncoInferno
07-28-2011, 11:56 AM
unfortunately, Miami also knows they are our only option as well

the staredown continues

If we keep Orton, we don't really lose anything. It would be nice clear him off the cap, but we don't HAVE to do that at around $20 million under. On the other hand, the Dolphins aren't going anywhere this season with Henne. He stinks. They know that. Sparano knows he's on the hot seat, as he almost got canned last season. Regardless of what you think of Orton, he's certainly a major upgrade over Henne. So, they need to make a deal, or they are probably going to be jobless after another season of Henne.

Lycan
Every time I hear the word stare I think of that Sobe commercial with Kate Upton in it. Yowza!

Crushaholic
Don't recall him hurting his hip, colon or arm, so I guess you're just full of ****.

Surprised, I am not.

People conveniently forget about the game when Simms **** the bed, and Orton came into the game much better than Simms WITH the injury...

WolfpackGuy
07-28-2011, 11:58 AM
People conveniently forget about the game when Simms **** the bed, and Orton came into the game much better than Simms WITH the injury...

And they still lost by 29!

LOL

But I get your point.

Dagmar
07-28-2011, 11:58 AM

No one is pining for Simms...

UberBroncoMan
07-28-2011, 11:59 AM

For a guy with a losing record as a starter. 63 million contract, 20 mill guaranteed.

Eagles are ****ing lucky. Such an insane steal.

Would be awesome if we got Starks and a 2nd.

TonyR
07-28-2011, 12:01 PM

And people should take note that Philadelphia didn't panic and held firm with their demands.

Oh, and Arizona is really stupid.

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 12:01 PM
If we keep Orton, we don't really lose anything. It would be nice clear him off the cap, but we don't HAVE to do that at around $20 million under. On the other hand, the Dolphins aren't going anywhere this season with Henne. He stinks. They know that. Sparano knows he's on the hot seat, as he almost got canned last season. Regardless of what you think of Orton, he's certainly a major upgrade over Henne. So, they need to make a deal, or they are probably going to be jobless after another season of Henne.

I don't think Sparano really wants to be there. When their owner flew out to meet with Harbaugh, Sparano became a figurehead with little power and even less credibility. He knows he's as good as gone, much like a Kurt Rambis situation, and the Fins will play like it this year with or without Orton, IMO. So as badly as the Fins want Orton, I believe their desire ends a whole lot sooner than most think it does, which gives us less leverage to move Orton there. That's not to say that they don't want Orton, just that I don't think the deal HAS to happen.

If we end up keeping Orton this week, we'll try again when qb's start getting injured as camps open and progress.

TonyR
07-28-2011, 12:02 PM

Doesn't look like they're even going to get the 2nd, let alone get Starks thrown in. Not happening.

Crushaholic
07-28-2011, 12:03 PM
No one is pining for Simms...

That's not the point. Some people on the Mane don't even think that Orton is worth a stale bag of chips. I was illustrating that they are wrong about Orton's value...

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Eagles are ****ing lucky. Such an insane steal.

Yup, and the supply of capable qb's just got smaller by one, but so has the demand, so we'll see if Elway holds off on Orton til demand goes back up or whether he thinks the Fins offer is gonna help build this team.

mkporter
07-28-2011, 12:05 PM

The more that AZ pays for Kolb, the better that is for us.

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Yup, and the supply of capable qb's just got smaller by one, but so has the demand, so we'll see if Elway holds off on Orton til demand goes back up or whether he thinks the Fins offer is gonna help build this team.

And how does "demand go back up"?

jhns
07-28-2011, 12:17 PM

Surprised, I am not.

The dude is hurt every season. Who cares what part it is? He plays worse than the complete **** that he normally plays like, no matter what injury he has.

What I said is far more accurate than you painting a picture of Tebow as being injury prone. You picked the wrong QB for that.

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 12:18 PM
And how does "demand go back up"?

Chad Henne rips up a knee, Andy Dalton's a mess, Tyler Thigpen throws 10 INT's in preseason, Matt Schaub ruptures his achilles...You get the idea.

Attrition and acts of God tend to make at least a few teams turn desperate before week 1.

alkemical
07-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Chad Henne rips up a knee, Andy Dalton's a mess, Tyler Thigpen throws 10 INT's in preseason, Matt Schaub ruptures his achilles...You get the idea.

Attrition and acts of God tend to make at least a few teams turn desperate before week 1.

You better get started on your animal sacrifice. I don't think god will care much otherwise.

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 12:21 PM
You better get started on your animal sacrifice. I don't think god will care much otherwise.

Let's start with a Tito Paul used practice jersey.

TailgateNut
07-28-2011, 12:22 PM

Not completely. :approve:

alkemical
07-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Let's start with a Tito Paul used practice jersey.

the gods will not be pleased.

snowspot66
07-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Not completely. :approve:

Yes completely. We all know the future is NOT with Orton regardless of whether or not it is with Tebow. Nothing deflates a fan base more than knowing they are watching a QB nobody wants.

I would expect him to be booed when he came on the field if he was the starter.

mkporter
07-28-2011, 12:24 PM
More Orton trade "news" from a beat reporter that doesn't suck:

An update for those antsy fans: Potential Orton-to-Miami trade remains in a holding pattern, both b/c of negotiations w/ Denver & Orton.
18 minutes ago

As it pertains to the Dolphins, a source said they also had some work to do with their own salary cap to be able to make Orton trade work.
12 minutes ago

So as the proverbial stare down continues, all sides will work to do what's necessary to make a deal if/when an agreement is reached.
8 minutes ago

And finally, there's this. RT @ArmandoSalguero: Kyle Orton trade saga doesn't become critical until Aug. 4. Details: http://bit.ly/4DyzAw
5 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/#!/JeffDarlington

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 12:25 PM
the gods will not be pleased.

wait til we torch mark brunell's cleats. :afro:

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 12:28 PM

In all of NFL history can you give me one or two examples?

mkporter
07-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Would be awesome if we got Starks OR a 2nd.

Fixed it for you.

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 12:42 PM
In all of NFL history can you give me one or two examples?

There's plenty of examples of when a qb either didn't get the job done or got hurt in camp. The way that qb's team went about solving their issue isn't as relevant as the fact that their demand for a qb that could replace him went up.

Recall when Brian Griese was given the starting job when Bubby Brister wasn't getting it done in training camp. Rather than toss Griese in, Shanny had the option of trading for a qb to start for them. In the Fins' case, Tom Brandstater is their backup, so if Henne stinks or gets hurt, their demand for a starter goes up.

Trent Green blew out his knee in preseason, necessitating either trading for a qb or sticking in his backup. In that case, they went with the backup and won the super bowl. The point, however, is really simple to grasp--when one of 32 people in the world who can start at qb in the NFL can no longer do it, demand for someone who can rises.

Dagmar
07-28-2011, 12:47 PM
That's not the point. Some people on the Mane don't even think that Orton is worth a stale bag of chips. I was illustrating that they are wrong about Orton's value...

Those folks are just... special.

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 12:51 PM
There's plenty of examples of when a qb either didn't get the job done or got hurt in camp. The way that qb's team went about solving their issue isn't as relevant as the fact that their demand for a qb that could replace him went up.

Recall when Brian Griese was given the starting job when Bubby Brister wasn't getting it done in training camp. Rather than toss Griese in, Shanny had the option of trading for a qb to start for them. In the Fins' case, Tom Brandstater is their backup, so if Henne stinks or gets hurt, their demand for a starter goes up.

Trent Green blew out his knee in preseason, necessitating either trading for a qb or sticking in his backup. In that case, they went with the backup and won the super bowl. The point, however, is really simple to grasp--when one of 32 people in the world who can start at qb in the NFL can no longer do it, demand for someone who can rises.

Soooooooooo no examples at all?

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Soooooooooo no examples at all?

yawn. read it again.

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 12:59 PM
yawn. read it again.

You provided NO precedent in ALL of NFL history where poor play or injury has elevated an outside QBs worth to a franchise (and in fact gave examples where the extra time in the system may have elevated the value of the backups!) And then tell me to read it again?

Lol bring something to the table. Your argument is a joke.

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 01:09 PM
You provided NO precedent in ALL of NFL history where poor play or injury has elevated an outside QBs worth to a franchise (and in fact gave examples where the extra time in the system may have elevated the value of the backups!) And then tell me to read it again?

Lol bring something to the table. Your argument is a joke.

Hey, if you're unable to grasp a simple idea like supply and demand, that's ok. I don't really have all afternoon to go back to every NFL season to do work that you should do if you're gonna deny that it could happen. I've given examples of qb's being lost in the preseason both to injury and to their poor performance. We've all seen lots of qb's traded in the offseason to be starters, just like many other years. What we haven't seen is this salary structure/CBA before, which means--you guessed it--a DIFFERENT market this year, but don't ask me to do your work for you. If you don't think it's ever happened, fine. You may be right but again, that is not an argument against it occurring in a new CBA, nor is it an argument against the basic idea that when one qb is erased from the possibility of starting, that team's demand rises independent of what supply of others are out there.

Shouldn't be this hard, Rev.

Dagmar
07-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Well, Vince Young has been released, let's hope he ends up in Philly.

mkporter
07-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Hey, if you're unable to grasp a simple idea like supply and demand, that's ok. I don't really have all afternoon to go back to every NFL season to do work that you should do if you're gonna deny that it could happen. I've given examples of qb's being lost in the preseason both to injury and to their poor performance. We've all seen lots of qb's traded in the offseason to be starters, just like many other years. What we haven't seen is this salary structure/CBA before, which means--you guessed it--a DIFFERENT market this year, but don't ask me to do your work for you. If you don't think it's ever happened, fine. You may be right but again, that is not an argument against it occurring in a new CBA, nor is it an argument against the basic idea that when one qb is erased from the possibility of starting, that team's demand rises independent of what supply of others are out there.

I'm gonna side with Rev (in a less combative way) here. I haven't seen anyone come up with a case where a QB was brought in after training camp, or during the season because the starter got hurt or was ineffective. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but QB isn't really a drop in position. You can drop in a WR or a RB, but the QB has to know the whole offense.

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 01:25 PM

I can't tell if you're ****ing around or just this obtuse anymore. Against my better judgment I'll reply as if you're serious and just stupid.

"Supply and demand" isn't a foreign concept. And neither is diminishing return on value. You gave examples of QBs being injured or playing poorly and being replaced by guys who had experience in the system or some other pre-existing investment.

You gave NO example of an injury or poor performance raising the value of an outside QB.

I'm giving you ALL of NFL history to work with, AND I'll tell ya what. I'll sweeten the pot for you.

All you have to do is give me the name of a QB acquired via trade after an injury to the starter to become the starter.

That's it.

No taking into account: prior value and whether it raised or lowered his value.

No taking into account: how this off-season is even more condensed than the rest making prior "system" players more valuable.

None of that. Just a QB acquired via trade after an injury to the starter to become the starter.

Easy, right? After all, you were so cavalier about the inevitability of "demand going back up".

I'll wait here.

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm gonna side with Rev (in a less combative way) here. I haven't seen anyone come up with a case where a QB was brought in after training camp, or during the season because the starter got hurt or was ineffective. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but QB isn't really a drop in position. You can drop in a WR or a RB, but the QB has to know the whole offense.

Yeah, not sure how asking for any examples is combative. He's the one being the dick and hiding from supporting his claim with ANY semblance of examples.

mkporter
07-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Yeah, not sure how asking for any examples is combative. He's the one being the dick and hiding from supporting his claim with ANY semblance of examples.

It's a tone thing. You are always combative. And relentless. Have you considered adding 150 Lbs or so? We could use a DT with these skills.

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 01:35 PM
I can't tell if you're ****ing around or just this obtuse anymore. Against my better judgment I'll reply as if you're serious and just stupid.

"Supply and demand" isn't a foreign concept. And neither is diminishing return on value. You gave examples of QBs being injured or playing poorly and being replaced by guys who had experience in the system or some other pre-existing investment.

You gave NO example of an injury or poor performance raising the value of an outside QB.

I'm giving you ALL of NFL history to work with, AND I'll tell ya what. I'll sweeten the pot for you.

All you have to do is give me the name of a QB acquired via trade after an injury to the starter to become the starter.

That's it.

No taking into account: how this off-season is even more condensed than the rest making prior "system" players more valuable.

None of that. Just a QB acquired via trade after an injury to the starter to become the starter.

Easy, right? After all, you were so cavalier about the inevitability of "demand going back up".

I'll wait here.

Don't bother. Now you're just selling the drama, so we're done.

http://memearchive.net/memerial.net/page/497.jpg

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Don't bother. Now you're just selling the drama, so we're done.

http://memearchive.net/memerial.net/page/497.jpg

Translation: "I threw some bull**** out there and got called on it. Instead of admitting I have no argument, I'm just going to pout and leave the conversation"

Good job man.

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 02:18 PM
It's a tone thing. You are always combative. And relentless. Have you considered adding 150 Lbs or so? We could use a DT with these skills.

God forbid someone call people on outright lies.

baja
07-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Translation: "I threw some bull**** out there and got called on it. Instead of admitting I have no argument, I'm just going to pout and leave the conversation"

Good job man.

Do you live alone? You should.

theAPAOps5
07-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Can you feel the love tonight!

mkporter
07-28-2011, 03:00 PM
God forbid someone call people on outright lies.

Not my point. You have a really good point to make in this thread, and this is frequently the case. Have you noticed, however, that you spend a lot of your posts hammering your "opponent" with their mistakes/inaccuracies/misunderstandings/lies until your opponent submits, which invariably never happens because they either have missed your point, or their pride is caught up in the argument, and on it goes for several pages? You often view those who don't agree with you as your opponent, and it is a battle to the finish. I still look for your posts, because they are often pretty good, but a lot of times I have to skip a few pages while you wage battle. That's what I mean by combative.

broncocalijohn
07-28-2011, 03:05 PM
^ I think MKporter is trying to say about Rev is that Reverend is a likeable Dick.

But, The Reverend is right about stating something and not having examples to back it up. Many times if you are going to argue a point, have examples to back it up if someone questions you on it. Sure if that person also has no answers , it turns into a spatting match. Thank God for google to find answers.

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Not my point. You have a really good point to make in this thread, and this is frequently the case. Have you noticed, however, that you spend a lot of your posts hammering your "opponent" with their mistakes/inaccuracies/misunderstandings/lies until your opponent submits, which invariably never happens because they either have missed your point, or their pride is caught up in the argument, and on it goes for several pages? You often view those who don't agree with you as your opponent, and it is a battle to the finish. I still look for your posts, because they are often pretty good, but a lot of times I have to skip a few pages while you wage battle. That's what I mean by combative.

Dude, just go read some of the Weight Loss thread and you'll see that this is The Rev's standard operating procedure.

Wow.

I had no idea you were this blatantly ignorant.

Good luck.

Debating your points? You don't have a single ****ing point! All you have is anecdotal evidence. Nothing showing what may be happening to your strength.

So here's some more anecdotal evidence for you, from me: You're a retard.

...and here's the one that convinces me that Rev's on Roids:

The rest is just a trip of complete drivel. You're doing everything by the book at 1500 calories, huh?

And those bodybuilding forums are full of people who think they know it all? You mean, people who have and ARE doing it, along with professional fitness instructors and nutritionists?

So, yeah, let's just face it. You don't know what the **** you're talking about.

If you want to ante up to the table, do so.

I'll let you name a date when you think you'll be ready for it, and we can post comparison photos to see who's in better shape. You're a photographer so you can even do little tricks with the lighting to try and make yourself look like less of a pile of ****.

Scrub.

Same ol' Rev, different thread. But at least he's consistent. Ha!

eddie mac
07-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Can you feel the love tonight!

I think if we actually signed someone of note the air would be filled with love and tenderness. So come on Pat reunite the clans.

mkporter
07-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Dude, just go read some of the Weight Loss thread and you'll see that this is The Rev's standard operating procedure. Same ol' Rev, different thread. But at least he's consistent. Ha!

My statement was a general observation of both his style, and the quality of his arguments.

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Tyler Thigpen was traded to the Miami Dolphins for an undisclosed draft pick on September 29, 2009. The move came just two days after Dolphins starting quarterback Chad Pennington suffered a season-ending shoulder injury.

A case of the starter going down and a team having to make a trade IN-SEASON for a guy to fill the qb void on the team. Thigpen was a 3rd stringer, granted, which means a guy of Orton's caliber may be more enticing to a team that loses their starter in-season.

The original point was that demand for a good qb rises as qb's go down or underperform and that teams will consider trading for a proven commodity even if it's in-season. Elway doesn't have to move Orton right now.

Eldorado
07-28-2011, 03:48 PM
A case of the starter going down and a team having to make a trade IN-SEASON for a guy to fill the qb void on the team. Thigpen was a 3rd stringer, granted, which means a guy of Orton's caliber may be more enticing to a team that loses their starter in-season.

The original point was that demand for a good qb rises as qb's go down or underperform and that teams will consider trading for a proven commodity even if it's in-season. Elway doesn't have to move Orton right now.

I'll bite. Who was the QB? When did that happen?

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 03:51 PM
I'll bite. Who was the QB? When did that happen?

Um, what?

Pennington goes down in Miami in-season, Fins trade for Thigpen to compete for starting job immediately. Those were the two qb's involved in the 2009 trade.

Eldorado
07-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Um, what?

Pennington goes down in Miami in-season, Fins trade for Thigpen to compete for starting job immediately. Those were the two qb's involved in the 2009 trade.

And he was the inactive third QB for the next 15 games. And the only reason he started games the year before was due to injury.

quick recap:

That's it.

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 04:11 PM
And he was the inactive third QB for the next 15 games. And the only reason he started games the year before was due to injury.

quick recap:

Again, the fact that he ended up as 3rd doesn't change the fact that the Fins HAD to trade for him when injury took their starter down. If he were good enough, he'd have started and competed to start immediately. What was asked was to give an example of a time when 'demand went up', due to injury or underperformance, for a qb late in camp so much so that a trade was made--there it is.

Seems to me that with this CBA, more trades will occur. Couple that with, say, Henne going down next week or next month, and Orton might become a more valuable commodity for Elway to deal.

Eldorado
07-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Again, the fact that he ended up as 3rd doesn't change the fact that the Fins HAD to trade for him when injury took their starter down. If he were good enough, he'd have started and competed to start immediately. What was asked was to give an example of a time when 'demand went up', due to injury or underperformance, for a qb late in camp so much so that a trade was made--there it is.

Seems to me that with this CBA, more trades will occur. Couple that with, say, Henne going down next week or next month, and Orton might become a more valuable commodity for Elway to deal.

That's it.

Quit pretending the example you gave meets the criteria. You're just muddying the water now.

Let me be clear: I would prefer that you are right. It gives us time and leverage. I can't think of one example of this happening:

Let's throw it out to everybody. Anyone? Bueller?

Tombstone RJ
07-28-2011, 04:21 PM
I'll throw a name out there... Doug Flutie? Was he ever traded to a team after the starting QB went down with an injury and then boo-yah, he became the starter?

Eldorado
07-28-2011, 04:23 PM
I'll throw a name out there... Doug Flutie? Was he ever traded to a team after the starting QB went down with an injury and then boo-yah, he became the starter?

Let me know what you find out.

MABroncoFan
07-28-2011, 04:24 PM
from rotoworld.
According to the Arizona Republic, the Cardinals identified Kevin Kolb as their quarterback priority due to concerns about Kyle Orton on third downs and in the red zone.
Orton finished at the bottom of the pack in passer rating in both situations, usually a sign of poor arm strength and questionable decision-making. The Cardinals believe Orton has proven to be a mediocre starter, more of a place-holder than a solution. It's quite possible that Kevin Kolb will have similar issues of his own. Related: CardinalsSource: Arizona Republic Jul 28, 6:11 PM

Tombstone RJ
07-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Let me know what you find out.

does the CFL count too? ROFL!

Tombstone RJ
07-28-2011, 04:27 PM
from rotoworld. According to the Arizona Republic, the Cardinals identified Kevin Kolb as their quarterback priority due to concerns about Kyle Orton on third downs and in the red zone. Orton finished at the bottom of the pack in passer rating in both situations, usually a sign of poor arm strength and questionable decision-making. The Cardinals believe Orton has proven to be a mediocre starter, more of a place-holder than a solution. It's quite possible that Kevin Kolb will have similar issues of his own. Related: CardinalsSource: Arizona Republic Jul 28, 6:11 PM

apparently, Orton's flaws are not hidden from other NFL teams...

mkporter
07-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Quit pretending the example you gave meets the criteria. You're just muddying the water now.

Let me be clear: I would prefer that you are right. It gives us time and leverage. I can't think of one example of this happening:

Let's throw it out to everybody. Anyone? Bueller?

His example meets the relevant (to us) criteria, IMO. A dolphin QB got injured in camp, and thus they felt it was necessary to acquire, via trade, another QB. Simplified: A QB got injured in camp, demand for QB's went up. It's not a really strong example because they were looking for insurance instead of a starter, but it does count. If Orton had been available in that circumstance, they would have considered him.

That said, the demand for QB's is going to be much higher overall before training camp begins than later in camp. If we are holding on to Orton in hopes that there will be a better time to trade him this season, then we are likely fooling ourselves. Orton has more value as a backup for us than he does as mid-season trade bait. He's a pro, and he might grumble a little, but he'll do his job. It's not like it would be a big shock if Tebow gets hurt at some point out there, and it sure would be nice having a guy who will get the job done.

Agamemnon
07-28-2011, 04:33 PM
apparently, Orton's flaws are not hidden from other NFL teams...

Of course they aren't. I still can't believe they are hidden from some Broncos fans...

Agamemnon
07-28-2011, 04:36 PM
His example meets the relevant (to us) criteria, IMO. A dolphin QB got injured in camp, and thus they felt it was necessary to acquire, via trade, another QB. Simplified: A QB got injured in camp, demand for QB's went up. It's not a really strong example because they were looking for insurance instead of a starter, but it does count. If Orton had been available in that circumstance, they would have considered him.

That said, the demand for QB's is going to be much higher overall before training camp begins than later in camp. If we are holding on to Orton in hopes that there will be a better time to trade him this season, then we are likely fooling ourselves. Orton has more value as a backup for us than he does as mid-season trade bait. He's a pro, and he might grumble a little, but he'll do his job. It's not like it would be a big shock if Tebow gets hurt at some point out there, and it sure would be nice having a guy who will get the job done.

Considering Tebow's proven durability and toughness I'll honestly be surprised if he gets hurt other than a minor injury. Not saying it's not possible, I just don't expect it particularly. And before anyone says anything, he would've been able to play after that guy speared him in the ribs if the games had mattered.

Eldorado
07-28-2011, 04:42 PM
His example meets the relevant (to us) criteria, IMO.

Jesus, I thought this was pretty straight forward:

...give me the name of a QB acquired via trade after an injury to the starter to become the starter.

For the love of god, just one.

serious hops
07-28-2011, 04:50 PM
So, u hhhh. . . have we traded Orton yet?

???

Garcia Bronco
07-28-2011, 04:53 PM
So, u hhhh. . . have we traded Orton yet?

???

He has to pass a Miami ham test. lol

DBroncos4life
07-28-2011, 05:06 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if Palmer is a Phin by the end of the week.

Beantown Bronco
07-28-2011, 05:13 PM
from rotoworld.
According to the Arizona Republic, the Cardinals identified Kevin Kolb as their quarterback priority due to concerns about Kyle Orton on third downs and in the red zone.
Orton finished at the bottom of the pack in passer rating in both situations,

I still want to know how they determined this. Orton's redzone passer rating is 90 over the last two years. How is that "bottom of the pack"?

mkporter
07-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Jesus, I thought this was pretty straight forward:

For the love of god, just one.

Yeah, if you want to be pedantic, it doesn't meet the criteria. But if you are looking for a situation in which a QB getting injured in camp or early in the season creates demand for QBs, which is what is actually relevant to us, then it applies.

mr007
07-28-2011, 05:23 PM

Which ended up being a 5th round pick..... that doesn't really apply to this situation at all. We're talking about driving Orton's value up - the point was to have Thigpen come in and compete, not as a 1:1 replacement.

mr007
07-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Yeah, if you want to be pedantic, it doesn't meet the criteria. But if you are looking for a situation in which a QB getting injured in camp or early in the season creates demand for QBs, which is what is actually relevant to us, then it applies.

I wouldn't call it creating demand when you consider the compensation.

Eldorado
07-28-2011, 05:25 PM
This is ****ing stupid.

mkporter
07-28-2011, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't call it creating demand when you consider the compensation.

Like i said, it's not a very strong example, and it certainly does not make the case that waiting for someone to go down in hopes of creating better demand for Orton is a good idea. If the FO believes there will be a better time to trade Orton than in the next couple days, they are the idiots everyone is starting to say they are.

Steve Prefontaine
07-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Sorry if this was posted already. From earlier today...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-report-reggie-bush-to-the-miami-dolphins-in-the-works-20110728,0,2550995.story

Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland also is working to restructure the contract for Denver quarterback Kyle Orton.

Irelandís spent the past two days working on a trade for Orton, a seven-year veteran who has a 32-29 record as an NFL starter.

mwill07
07-28-2011, 05:54 PM

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-report-reggie-bush-to-the-miami-dolphins-in-the-works-20110728,0,2550995.story

that's what I figured...Dolphins are lowballing Orton's agent. That's why this hasn't gone through yet.

jet19
07-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Good update on talks.......

At least one clubs writers are working.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/28/2336011/dolphins-pursuit-of-qb-orton-is.html

snowspot66
07-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Good update on talks.......

At least one clubs writers are working.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/28/2336011/dolphins-pursuit-of-qb-orton-is.html

To bad they're idiots. We aren't over the cap (as they claim).

schaaf
07-28-2011, 08:59 PM
**** you orton. and **** you bowlen.

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Dude, just go read some of the Weight Loss thread and you'll see that this is The Rev's standard operating procedure.

...and here's the one that convinces me that Rev's on Roids:

Same ol' Rev, different thread. But at least he's consistent. Ha!

Boy, that's not creepy.

...Also cute that you didn't include links so you can see how FACTUALLY wrong that person was as well.

But whatever. Who cares about facts?

Obviously NOT YOU from your posts in this thread.

bombay
07-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Can't think of a single reason Orton should settle for anything less than the $8.8 million he's owed this season.

TD30
07-28-2011, 09:03 PM
I can't watch Orton play another down....phantom sacks rule

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Like i said, it's not a very strong example, and it certainly does not make the case that waiting for someone to go down in hopes of creating better demand for Orton is a good idea. If the FO believes there will be a better time to trade Orton than in the next couple days, they are the idiots everyone is starting to say they are.

A strong example?

It's not an example at all... in NFL HISTORY, that was the best he could put forward.

Conclusion: Clearly we should wait for "demand to go back up"

baja
07-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Boy, that's not creepy.

...Also cute that you didn't include links so you can see how FACTUALLY wrong that person was as well.

But whatever. Who cares about facts?

Obviously NOT YOU from your posts in this thread.

More and more posters are figuring you out aren't they roid boy.

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Can't think of a single reason Orton should settle for anything less than the $8.8 million he's owed this season.

You know what really upsets me?

That's roughly the per year amount to have gotten Joseph to play opposite Champ for an amazing tandem in the present and have ONE CB position locked up for the future.

FireFly
07-28-2011, 09:13 PM

If this is true, and a trade has been worked out contingent on Orton agreeing to a new contract, he wouldn't be out on the practise field imo

Baba Booey
07-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Vince Young just signed a one year deal with the Eagles. Unless Miami wants to suffer through another year with Henne, they'll hopefully be more inclined to get something done with us.

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 09:14 PM
If this is true, and a trade has been worked out contingent on Orton agreeing to a new contract, he wouldn't be out on the practise field imo

You British?

DBroncos4life
07-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Vince Young just signed a one year deal with the Eagles. Unless Miami wants to suffer through another year with Henne, they'll hopefully be more inclined to get something done with us.

If I was the Phins GM I would be hounding the hell out of the Bengals right now.

ward63
07-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Source?

DBroncos4life
07-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Source?

Eagles bring in Vince Young on one-year deal

Eagles agreed to terms with QB Vince Young on a one-year contract.
It didn't take V.Y. long to realize there was no market for him as a starting QB after failing to bring an NFL commitment-level to the table in Tennessee. A one-year stint as Michael Vick's backup is a smart move, allowing him to stay under the radar and enter the market again next year at age 29. While Young may struggle to pick up the West Coast offense in camp, he won't be asked to take the reigns anytime soon. Regardless, he's now the best insurance policy in the league, capable of keeping the team in contention even if the starter goes down.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/0/Football-headlines?rw=1

Dagmar
07-28-2011, 09:18 PM
You British?

Why would he be from my fair isle?

Baba Booey
Source?

@AlbertBreer Albert Breer
Vince Young has reached a one-year deal with the Eagles. Will sign it tomorrow.
22 minutes ago via Echofon

Dagmar
Eagles bring in Vince Young on one-year deal

Eagles agreed to terms with QB Vince Young on a one-year contract.
It didn't take V.Y. long to realize there was no market for him as a starting QB after failing to bring an NFL commitment-level to the table in Tennessee. A one-year stint as Michael Vick's backup is a smart move, allowing him to stay under the radar and enter the market again next year at age 29. While Young may struggle to pick up the West Coast offense in camp, he won't be asked to take the reigns anytime soon. Regardless, he's now the best insurance policy in the league, capable of keeping the team in contention even if the starter goes down.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/0/Football-headlines?rw=1

Thank titty ****ing Christ. Bulger for free or Orton for a 3rd. Do it Miami for ****s sake.

ward63
07-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks DB4L

SoCalBronco

Rev might be referring to the way he spelled practice.

Baba Booey
Vince Young is going to be 29 next year? Hoooly

Dagmar
07-28-2011, 09:20 PM

I always spelled it practice...

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 09:21 PM

This. I thought that was an UK thing?

SoCalBronco
07-28-2011, 09:21 PM

Yeah, but you're Scottish....big difference.

:)

TheReverend
07-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Thank titty ****ing Christ. Bulger for free or Orton for a 3rd. Do it Miami for ****s sake.

Completely honest? I'd take Bulger and roll with Henne. Not even for a 4th. Without a question.

Dagmar
07-28-2011, 09:24 PM
This. I thought that was an UK thing?

nah, used a C all my life...

Now if he said lift instead of elevator or pavement instead of sidewalk or biscuit instead of cookie or spanner instead of wrench or lorry instead of truck or queue instead of line....

Dagmar
07-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Yeah, but you're Scottish....big difference.

:)

Psssst, Scotland is IN Britain. ^5

SoCalBronco
07-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Psssst, Scotland is IN Britain. ^5

That might be technically correct, but most of us 'Muricans associate Britian with England.

I've got egg on my face nonetheless.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Vr8Xl0cbUZA/SYOLzXTR58I/AAAAAAAAF-0/_vxZ9xXu0XQ/s400/Image+=+Egg+On+Face.bmp

Dagmar
07-28-2011, 09:32 PM
That might be technically correct, but most of us 'Muricans associate Britian with England.

I've got egg on my face nonetheless.

To be fair, I mocked Americans for not understanding it until I tried to explain it.

Scotland is a country.

Great Britain is a Country.

The United Kingdom is a Country.

Scotland is in The United Kingdom. It is also in Great Britain. It makes no sense.

Any, so this Orton fella'...

Miss I.
07-28-2011, 09:47 PM

To be fair the English do spell Defense, Defence so I can see why Rev might think they spell practice different. They also spell tire, tyre which just seems odd.

Boomhauer
07-28-2011, 10:49 PM
from rotoworld.
Orton finished at the bottom of the pack in passer rating in both situations, usually a sign of poor arm strength and questionable decision-making. The Cardinals believe Orton has proven to be a mediocre starter, more of a place-holder than a solution. It's quite possible that Kevin Kolb will have similar issues of his own.

None of that is a secret to anyone in the NFL, which is why I question Miami's interest in Orton. They already have Henne and Thigpen may return so don't need another place-holder. They need a capable starter while they develop Brandstater and Devlin.If I was the Phins GM I would be hounding the hell out of the Bengals right now.

Shananahan
07-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Completely honest? I'd take Bulger and roll with Henne. Not even for a 4th. Without a question.
Same here, even though I badly want Denver to get something for Orton. If I were a Dolphins fan, I wouldn't be doing cartwheels to see them have to sign Orton to a long-term contract right after having given up something for the right to do so.

BroncoMan4ever
07-28-2011, 11:56 PM
If I was the Phins GM I would be hounding the hell out of the Bengals right now.

at this point in time Henne is a better option than Palmer.

SPORTSWRITER
07-29-2011, 01:42 AM

Maybe the spelling of "practice" as "practiSe" made him ask that.

ol#7
07-29-2011, 02:30 AM
Bottom line, We may have to get used to the idea that we are stuck with Orton for this season and the Rev completely owned smiling assasin on this thread. Teams roll with the backup, hell New England was a SB contender when Brady went down week one and went with a shaky backup that looked terrible in the pre-season. If a deal doesnt get done quick, there is no precedent to suggest Orton will get moved later. I just hope the front office lets Tebow on the field either way so we can at least assess if we have 1 legit QB on this roster or not.

TDmvp
07-29-2011, 02:48 AM
So I'm going to bed ... God let Orton be gone by when I wake up at like 5pm est.
Pls let me wake up , roll over to my laptop and click Orange mane and there be a thread on Orton traded to the Phins for so in so.

If I have to watch Orton scrambling around like this for another year I'll go Gaff$hit crazy
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/Firewire16/Eleven-stumbling.gif

SO

Now I lay me down to sleep . I pray Orton the Phins will take.
If I die before I wake , please start Tebow for goodness sake.

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::tebow:
:Broncos: