PDA

View Full Version : #80 has been taken

UberBroncoMan
07-27-2011, 01:58 AM
http://broncotalk.net/2011/07/22755/broncos-blog/broncos-drafted-rookies-start-picking-jersey-numbers/

Lasted a bit I suppose.

There's just one slight oddity.

Tight ends Julius Thomas and Virgil Green chose numbers 80 and 86 respectively.

Rod's number now belongs to a Tight End. Justice for #84 going to WR's or just plain weird...

TDmvp
07-27-2011, 02:15 AM
Yea how 84 , 80 , and 30 aint retired I have no idea... I get the whole you can run out of numbers but come on.

Shananahan
07-27-2011, 03:27 AM
If I remember correctly, the decision to not retire numbers such as #30, #80 and #84 was made to stress the importance of #7.

Rabb
07-27-2011, 05:23 AM
Yea how 84 , 80 , and 30 aint retired I have no idea... I get the whole you can run out of numbers but come on.

I know it's easy for us to think this because we watched them all and they did so much for us and are so great, but some other pretty good players wore those numbers here also (don't say JW's name...just don't)

I wouldn't argue with them being retired though, I just don't think it's a big deal personally

Archer81
07-27-2011, 05:38 AM
If TD had played a decade 30 would have joined 44 and 7 as being retired. Things happen.

:Broncos:

HAT
07-27-2011, 05:43 AM
Yea how 84 , 80 , and 30 aint retired I have no idea...

Because it would be stupid?

All were great and deserve ROF and even HOF.....But retiring their number?

C'mon man. That's Gretzky/Elway/Jordan territory.

Kaylore
07-27-2011, 05:55 AM

This.

For me, retiring a number requires several criteria: One of the best at their position in the league for a long time, Playing an overwhelming majority of their time with the team and the "face of the Franchise" so to speak.

I loved those players, but TD played Four years (granted, amazing years) for us. He was sort of "a face of the franchise" but not for long enough. That leaves Sharpe and Rod. Rod was the Franchise, unofficially, for some time. However he was a very good receiver by NFL standards, not great. That leaves Sharpe, who is in the HOF. He was never the franchise.

Bottom line: If Elway is your yard stick, they all come up short.

broncosteven
07-27-2011, 08:06 AM
I do think John deserves it but I miss having our QB wearing #7, I grew up with Morton wearing it for 5 years then John had it for 16 so to go without seeing a QB wearing #7 for the Broncos is a difficult thing.

Pick Six
07-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Rod Smith probably wouldn't have any problem with this kid taking #80. That seems like a d-bag move that is out of Rod's character...

Smiling Assassin27
07-27-2011, 08:42 AM

I resemble that remark.

Sincerely,

Ray Bourque, Former Bru.. er, Av.

BroncsRule
07-27-2011, 08:56 AM
I resemble that remark.

Sincerely,

Ray Bourque, Former Bru.. er, Av.

Yeah - I thought they jumped the gun retiring 77. Ray gave us some awesome moments, and was one of the top 3 or 4 defensemen evar - but if you google his image today, more than half the images are of the Bruins defenseman that went to the HOF..

I have no problem with Foppa's 21 joining 19 and 33 in the rafters, BTW

Smiling Assassin27
07-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Yeah - I thought they jumped the gun retiring 77. Ray gave us some awesome moments, and was one of the top 3 or 4 defensemen evar - but if you google his image today, more than half the images are of the Bruins defenseman that went to the HOF..

Floppa deserves his place among the Avs' legends, for sure. Maybe Foote, though he's not quite on the same plane as the Big 3.

Mogulseeker
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM

Retired numbers are rare as they should be. I could see 84... maybe 30 cause TD carried us to the Super Bowl in 1997. Smith was great but not jersey retirement material.

24 will probably be retired in a few years.

Mogulseeker
07-27-2011, 11:32 AM

When I was in Boston I brought it up, and a lot of the Bostonians were a little peeved that Bourque brought the Stanley Cup and hade a parade in Boston with it, cause it was the Av's cup, not Bostons.

I think retiring a number for a player after 2 years is a little over the top.

Shananahan
07-27-2011, 11:33 AM
No, it won't.

mkporter
07-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Retired numbers are rare as they should be. I could see 84... maybe 30 cause TD carried us to the Super Bowl in 1997. Smith was great but not jersey retirement material.

Not a chance.

broncocalijohn
07-27-2011, 11:46 AM
If I remember correctly, the decision to not retire numbers such as #30, #80 and #84 was made to stress the importance of #7.

Then I doubt we will ever retire a number if the bar is set that high. If you are in the HOF in Canton, that there should or could be a reason to retire a jersey.

g00fyfoot
07-27-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm opposed to the notion of retiring numbers in general. It's meant as an honor, but there are other ways to go about it. 7 is a great number and now it's untouchable for any Bronco from now until the end of time? At some point no one around will have ever seen Elway play, much less Floyd Little or Frank Tripuka. I'd rather go with a "we won't touch your number for 10 or 20 years" kind of deal.

Btw, I noticed that there were Von Miller #58 (fake) jerseys on ebay last week. Someone obviously knew. I also saw a #40 Quinton Carter.

Jason in LA
07-27-2011, 12:17 PM

I remember hearing that too, and I didn't agree with it at all. Elway was the greatest of them all, but it doesn't take anything away from him to honor others. I'd actually say that it takes away from the history of the team to honor only one player like that. Like the Broncos have only had one great player.

Mogulseeker
07-27-2011, 12:28 PM
24 should be retired in a few years.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Floppa deserves his place among the Avs' legends, for sure. Maybe Foote, though he's not quite on the same plane as the Big 3.

I'd put Footer up there before Foppa. But I think they should both be there.

Fusionfrontman
07-27-2011, 03:16 PM
I think retired jersey numbers should obviously only belong to great players, i.e. Elways, Ruths, Littles, etc... but I think aside from the necessary greatness on the field, longevity with the team through good seasons 96-98 and the bad seasons as well 99-01. The mainstay of a player should mean just as much, particulary when fans and other players take so much of what that player says as 'holy grail'. Rod Smith always did and said the right thing (99.9) and had a positive influence on the younger players, mentoring young WRs.

I'm a huge Smith fan, and I am biased being he is my favorite football player, but I do agree with the poster that said not retiring numbers based on these standards makes it look a bit like your franchise only had 3 great players.

I love the ring of fame and I feel like Rod Smith should have # 80 retired. TD didn't play long enough. Sharpe went to the Ravens, and to me, was not the true face of the Broncos once Elway retired. Champ, while great, and is a HOF player, likely to get a spot in the Ring of Fame, shouldn;t have his number retired unless he stays dominant for the remainder of his contract and wins a SB with us.

Abqbronco
07-27-2011, 03:19 PM
24 should be retired in a few years.

Why? He's been really good, but has he really transcended the game the way Elway did? He certainly deserves HOF consideration but to retire his number?

OrangeSe7en
07-27-2011, 03:31 PM
30 should be retired, no doubt. Nevermind the fact that he only played 4 years. Just look at what he accomplished during that time. Just look at Curtis Martin who will likely make it to the HOF. How many times was Curtis Martin the league MVP? How many times did Curtis Martin win the MVP of the SB? How many times did Curtis Martin rush for 2000 yards in a season?

Davis accomplished a lot more than a lot of highly regarded RBs. He shouldnt be faulted because he lacks all the mediocre years that those guys had.

UberBroncoMan
07-27-2011, 03:34 PM
No way in hell 24 is retired. #1 he hasn't been with us his entire career. #2, 27 is still around and Atwater was an All-Decade talent.

Mogulseeker
07-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Champ Bailey is the best defensive player to play for the Broncos.

Plus, Floyd Little? I mean, I appreciated what he did for the Broncos... but...

Lestat
07-27-2011, 03:44 PM
if the player isn't the best player your franchise has ever had then you don't retire the #. retire the jersey and put em in the ring of fame yes, but if the name isn't akin to Elway/Gretzky/Jordan/Ruth then no sir.

phillybroncosnut
07-27-2011, 05:10 PM
I think the only 2 broncos numbers ever retired are 7 and 18? When did Floyd have his number retired? Musta been recent.
I guess tripucka was the face of the franchise during the first years so thats why 18 is retired.
Other then Elway, not sure you can retire another Broncos number. If you have to think about a player for a second, probably shouldnt retire their number. We've had some incredible players, but its hard to seperate them from each other.
73, 77, 71, 53, 57, 27, 49, 30, 84, 80, 66, 65, 24, et cetra.... All can be debated which is why their number shouldnt be retired. No debating Elway

broncosteven
07-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Champ Bailey is the best defensive player to play for the Broncos.

Plus, Floyd Little? I mean, I appreciated what he did for the Broncos... but...

You never saw Floyd play.

As far as Champ, Louis Wright was just as good in his time.

OrangeSe7en
07-27-2011, 05:19 PM
I think the only 2 broncos numbers ever retired are 7 and 18? When did Floyd have his number retired? Musta been recent.
I guess tripucka was the face of the franchise during the first years so thats why 18 is retired.
Other then Elway, not sure you can retire another Broncos number. If you have to think about a player for a second, probably shouldnt retire their number. We've had some incredible players, but its hard to seperate them from each other.
73, 77, 71, 53, 57, 27, 49, 30, 84, 80, 66, 65, 24, et cetra.... All can be debated which is why their number shouldnt be retired. No debating Elway

Quite honestly, none of those guys accomlished as much as TD, even with TD only playing 4 solid years. And certainly, none of them were as instrumental in winning championships. And what he did in the SB with migraines is legendary. Without TD, the offense wasnt doing anything that game. With him, they were running over the Packers.

And none of those other players were the league MVP.

phillybroncosnut
07-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Quite honestly, none of those guys accomlished as much as TD, even with TD only playing 4 solid years. And certainly, none of them were as instrumental in winning championships. And what he did in the SB with migraines is legendary. Without TD, the offense wasnt doing anything that game. With him, they were running over the Packers.

And none of those other players were the league MVP.

Im as big a TD fan as anyone but, playing devils advocate, one could make the arguement that the O-Line was as big a part of the Championship teams, if not bigger then TD. Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Karon Coleman, et cetra

OrangeSe7en
07-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Im as big a TD fan as anyone but, playing devils advocate, one could make the arguement that the O-Line was as big a part of the Championship teams, if not bigger then TD. Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Karon Coleman, et cetra

Im not so sure you're a TD fan, in spite of what you say.

I specifically mentioned that the offense didnt do anything when TD was out of the game in the first SB against the Packers. There were times when it didnt matter who was at RB because the line was so good but then there were times like SB 32 where TD made all the difference.

Also, even though those guys you mentioned were productive, they still werent as productive as TD, save maybe Portis. They also lack the hardware.

phillybroncosnut
07-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Im not so sure you're a TD fan, in spite of what you say.

I specifically mentioned that the offense didnt do anything when TD was out of the game in the first SB against the Packers. There were times when it didnt matter who was at RB because the line was so good but then there were times like SB 32 where TD made all the difference.

Also, even though those guys you mentioned were productive, they still werent as productive as TD, save maybe Portis. They also lack the hardware.

Trust me. I constently make the arguement that TD is HOF worthy to the east coasters. TD is in my top 5 Broncos all time.